Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 23:02   #4816
BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Glass cleaner - I mostly use sonax clear glass in case the glass is really dirty. Otherwise I just use a quick detailer on it. or ONR qd
Just sharing my experience :

Used Collin, Armor-all and Sonax clear view - of all these three, I would prefer going with Sonax clear view.
Reason -
a. performance wise its the same almost
b. economical --> ~100 INR with SonaxClearView+02 ltrs mineral water ==> quality output+can be used both as windscreen cleaning + window glass cleaning

Last edited by AvonA7 : 31st August 2011 at 23:09. Reason: spelling
Old 1st September 2011, 10:09   #4817
Senior - BHPian

Just posting this for the benefit of those still looking for a solution.

Given that many DIY car care enthusiasts in the form had tried this, I gave it a go too. Had 2 good quality MFs and one cheaper MF to be cleaned by washing. Soaked them both in 2 ltrs of warm water with approximately 3-4ml of vim liquid soap [used on utensils] and 5ml of Dettol hand wash soap.

Mixed these 2 cleaning products in the water first and completely diluted them into the mixture. Then soaked the 3 MF cloth pieces for an hour and washed them by agigtating the cloth by hand [gentle rubbing of cloth in hand, no hard action].

15 minutes later, all of them absolutely clean. Just checked now that the MF cloth pieces are as good as new and fluffy as when bought.

Not promoting this solution, but sharing my experience. Better still would be to use a dedicated MF washing product.

Cheers,
aK

Last edited by k_ajay : 1st September 2011 at 10:17. Reason: Correction.
Old 1st September 2011, 11:18   #4818
BHPian

^^^ I use a mix of pril and ezee detergent to clean the MFs. If there is too much grease,I add a spray of Mr. Muscle kitchen cleaner. Have been using a very diluted version for it for the beige portions of my dashboard and it works wonders.
Old 1st September 2011, 23:03   #4819
BHPian

I washed my very dirty car earlier today. By very dirty I mean 'driven in the rain for 2 weeks without a wash/wipe with muck all over' dirty. There was a lot of mud on the side panels from the spray of the tyres.

As luck would have it, I was not able to locate my car wash shampoo. I had seen my mom wash her silks (in preparation of Ganesh chaturthi) in a solution made of 'Reetha' (Soap Nut). These are also used as natural soap. I was like, lets try it.

I took three buckets of warm water. In one bucket I put around 7-8 nut skins. Just agitated the water and started washing the car, using my wash mitt. The solution works like a charm. It took off the dirt extremely well. Not just that, tar spots and also some stains of flowers were also removed without rubbing! The other buckets were for rinsing the wash mitt and final rinse of the car.

The good thing is this really works. Leaves a streak free finish on all surfaces and does not need to be rinsed off as well. I rinsed one side and not the other (car was in shade) and there was no residue on the door after it was dry. The wash solution is very soft as well.

Moreover, I used the same Reetha nuts in another mug of water to clean my windows and it was excellent!
the waste water was poured into the plants.
torquecurve is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:10   #4820
Senior - BHPian

Great news for Hyderabad car lovers

3M has opened its first car care center in Hyderbad at Madhapur.
It is on the 100 ft road connecting Cyber towers to Ayappa Society.

I made a visit to the place today morning. It is nice, big and clean. The onwer's name is Vinod and I found him to be nice and knowledgable.
He had a look at my car and said that the car is maintained well and polishing etc is not required - just cleaning and waxing will do. Thanks to TBHP, he was impressed by my knowledge about car detailing...I smiled and showed him the 'LIVE to DRIVE' TBHP sticker on my rear bumper

They also have Meguiar's products on sale - NXT car shampoo (480bucks for 530 ml), Meguiar's Quick detailer (300 bucks), Interior protectant and Tech Wax (1400 bucks).

I am planning to buy the shampoo and the QD from them.

Last edited by adimicra : 2nd September 2011 at 12:12.
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:30   #4821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Great news for Hyderabad car lovers

3M has opened its first car care center in Hyderbad at Madhapur.
It is on the 100 ft road connecting Cyber towers to Ayappa Society.

I made a visit to the place today morning. It is nice, big and clean. The onwer's name is Vinod and I found him to be nice and knowledgable.
He had a look at my car and said that the car is maintained well and polishing etc is not required - just cleaning and waxing will do. Thanks to TBHP, he was impressed by my knowledge about car detailing...I smiled and showed him the 'LIVE to DRIVE' TBHP sticker on my rear bumper

They also have Meguiar's products on sale - NXT car shampoo (480bucks for 530 ml), Meguiar's Quick detailer (300 bucks), Interior protectant and Tech Wax (1400 bucks).

I am planning to buy the shampoo and the QD from them.
3M is on the roll, expanding and taking the car lovers by storm all over india.
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:34   #4822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
3M is on the roll, expanding and taking the car lovers by storm all over india.
Any dedicated facility in Mumbai (with knowledgeable people doing the job)!
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:36   #4823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghosht View Post
Any dedicated facility in Mumbai (with knowledgeable people doing the job)!
3M opening shortly in Pune....

plenty of non branded detailing centres in Mumbai to choose from.
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:45   #4824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
3M opening shortly in Pune....
Hi. 3M is already there in Pune in Gigaspace, Viman Nagar. Atleast that was the case till I moved from there (around March 2011).

Any idea when we can expect 3M in NCR?
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:53   #4825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Hi. 3M is already there in Pune in Gigaspace, Viman Nagar. Atleast that was the case till I moved from there (around March 2011).

Any idea when we can expect 3M in NCR?
a second 3M is opening in Baner, Pune...sorry i should have made it clear.

NCR in early 2012.
Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 20:47   #4826
BHPian

i read on 3M facebook page that a new shop will be opening in borivali west. not sure though.
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:50   #4827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
A Meguiars Car Detailing clinic is happening at the 3M Car Care centers this September. The show is being hosted by Meguiar's Veteran Matt Davies.

Pune - 3M Car Care Viman Nagar - 3rd September 11AM (For Directions, pls contact Mr Seshu Rao 9225805476)
Just came in after attending Meguiars Car Detailing clinic here in Pune. Me and AvonA7 from Team-BHP were among the attendees it. It was conducted for well over 3 hours, details below.

It has been raining cats, dogs, cows, buffalo's and all the domestic animals for last 3 days in Pune. So, I was kind of skepticle to attend it. Still made an effort and reached there on time.

Meguiar's Matt Davies firstly started with theory & video's of Meguiar's history, Paint & Car care, Meguiar's Products introduction etc. Explained the 2 bucket method wash for better results.

In the hands-on session he took a black coloured Old Honda City and made sections on bonnet with masking tape and showed us the difference the Meguiar's product detailing makes.
He started with Claying with Quick Detailer as lube, then Scratch-X 2.0, Ultimate Paste Wax (2011) and lastly finishing with UQD. He could make a limited paint/swirl correction by hand in such a small time while he was explaining, but yeah the results were good not totally swirl free but good enough to create impact on all the attendees.

Then they got a new (reddish pink) Nissan Micra (4-5 months old). The car was thoroughly wet due to rains with zero beading; the owner thought its behaving its best in rains as it was already protected by so called dealer offered Teflon coating . Matt clarified and worked upon his bonnet to make the clear difference and then showed him the water beading.

After exterior he also showed us the interior detailing using Meguiar's Interior detailer cleaner and Meguiar's Natural Shine with good results.

In the informal discussion later I showed him my car which was standing by the showroom side parking in full blast of rains where my car was beading like crazy as usual. He touched the car and inspected it and was mighty impressed. He asked me about the process I followed. I told him the process and further added the water beading was due to a 2 month old Collinite-845 He was very impressed to hear Collinite-845 has presence, reach & awareness here in India to which I told him it was attributed to Team-BHP. He was convinced the method I followed and said it best suited my car (Tafetta White colour).

He suggested me some Meguiar's products for Vinyl and Trims of which I already had one of them.
At the last the 3M Sales Head guy called us for a small discussion/feedback in his office for the kind of products they would like to offer from Meguiar's . Currently they are offering only 6 Meguiar's Products in India (which are of no good). I gave him a contructive feedback about the product line he should start with. He promised us some Meguiar's products being made available in next comming months. Lets keep our hopes alive.

Was about to leave and AvonA7 came to me after noticing Team-BHP sticker on my car. Got introduced to eachother and had a nice friendly chat on car detailing for next 10-15 mins; Nice meeting you buddy. We both were in hurry to leave so, dropped him near to his car was parked and headed our respective ways home.

Bangalore Guys, try and attend the session tomorrow. Not that Matt Davies tell us anything new that we don't know but its good to get introduced to range of Meguiar's Products & be a good listener once in a while.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 3rd September 2011 at 16:54.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:34   #4828
BHPian

^^ Thanks @RemingtonSteele, that`s nice comprehensive report. Nice meeting you - the first Team-BHPian I met in person. Just to add - Matt Davies used the clay bar with UQD as lube on headlights. After that he was willing to demo the Meguiar`s headlight restoration kit, unfortunately the showroom guys could not provide him the required drill machine to use the buff-pad. Neither did he use the 1000 & 3000 unigrit sanding disc (which comes with the headlight restoration kit). He used only PlastX and the m/f towel and within 2 minutes the headlight was cleaner compared to the other headlight, guess, the complete and proper application of tools available within the kit would have yielded better results. Meguiar`s range of products are broadly categorized into - a. Classic, b. Gold Class, c. NXT and the latest one, d. Ultimate. It cleared some confusion for me as same products are available in different categories like NXT Protectant, Ultimate Protectant, here the purpose is same for both these products however some are for professional, some for retailer etc.
AvonA7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:46   #4829
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2011 at 13:29.
gopa99 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:49   #4830
BHPian

^^ Thanks mate, for making up for the part I missed in my coverage.

One more thing:

Gold Class: Are natural Carnuaba products blended with Polymers focuses more on wetness, depth and shine. Doesn't care about durability.

NXT TechWax 2.0: Is pure chemical paint sealent.

Ultimate Series: Is pure synthetic hydrophobic chemicals focusing on gloss, reflectivity and durability.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed