Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:02   #4981
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I recently came from a 6000 kms roadtrip and the paint of car has bug splatter stains on it. Its like a thin translucent coat of insect fluid. I must have killed a lot of bugs . How does one get rid of this dried bug splatter?
If a good wash with a car shampoo doesn't do the job then -
Best way - Clay
Cheap Alternate - Diesel (for painted parts only)
Another Alternate - WD40
Old 4th October 2011, 00:54   #4982
Senior - BHPian

A2Z all wheel and tire cleaner wont dress the tires! It'll remove any previous dressing and all of the dirt!

@ankurvirmani19 - You can try scrubbing at those spots with some soapy water, or specialized foaming upholstery cleaners.

If neither works, you might have to contact a good car detail center! They'd usually have a steamer and carpet extractors!

That should work!

@Mustang.101 - Whoa 6K kms!! Thats some road trip!

For bugs, you can use any all purpose cleaner!
Just spray it on the bug splatter, let it dwell and then hose em off!

While washing the car, apply the ca shampoo suds to that area with a soft car wash sponge or mitt and let it dwell(so that the insect stuff, softens)

Then hose it off!

Last edited by sohail99 : 4th October 2011 at 00:58.
Old 4th October 2011, 22:05   #4983
BHPian

Gentlemen, I had my first go at some proper detailing for my year and half old car, however could only manage to wash and clay, the waxing process is still pending. Details and more pics in my thread here (link below), please see pages 25 and 26.

Detailing Phase 1

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dscn0973.jpg
Old 5th October 2011, 00:35   #4984
Senior - BHPian

Was able to lay hands on Formula 1 - Scratch Out. Got 2 bottles. Comes in these 2 variants: One up-side down bottle with paste, normal bottle with liquid.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-27092011968.jpg

Dont have the results snaps. But seems to work well on the minor/thin scrtches and making them vanish from direct visibility. Better applied by taking it on the soft cloth in small quantities and rubbed consistently in circular motion on the cleaned surface.
Old 5th October 2011, 08:15   #4985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Was able to lay hands on Formula 1 - Scratch Out.

..seems to work well on the minor/thin scrtches and making them vanish from direct visibility. Better applied by taking it on the soft cloth in small quantities and rubbed consistently in circular motion on the cleaned surface.
Just protect the polished paint surface with a minimum of one of the three- glaze, sealant and wax, whatever the Brand.
Old 5th October 2011, 13:01   #4986
BHPian

What does it feel like after detailing?

Although the owner of this Laura is a car freak, it was not the best maintained and it took 3 days to thoroughly clean up to this level.

What is the role of the tyres, wheels and wheel arch?
However well the vehicle is detailed, the final look depends on the state of the tyres, wheels and the arch. Disc brakes throw up very significant amounts of adherent dust. Clean it out regularly, keep the wheels polished and the arches clean. Apply tyre gel to the tyres to get the deep black colour.

Photos were taken at sunset of the final day.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-laura-detailed.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-laura-interior-detailed.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-laura-wheel-detailed.jpg  

basky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 15:39   #4987
Senior - BHPian

^Great work!
I agree! Final look comes from well dressed tires, clean and sealed rims and wheel wells!

But to fully accomplish that one has to jack the car and remove the rim, degrease, clean each part individually, clay and polish the alloys if need be, seal everything and then put the tyres back on!

This whole process takes a lot of time. I generally clean the surrounding underbody too while the car is jacked
Old 5th October 2011, 21:39   #4988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
But to fully accomplish that one has to jack the car and remove the rim, degrease, clean each part individually, clay and polish the alloys if need be, seal everything and then put the tyres back on!

This whole process takes a lot of time. I generally clean the surrounding underbody too while the car is jacked
Very correct. First requirement is space to do all this. Second the right equipment. Third being time and patience. Fourth the products - better the products, less the time. Fifth- He! He! Money.

The reward: priceless joy.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 10:41   #4989
Senior - BHPian

I have a few scratches on my black Vento. All because with mud splattered on the doors from rains, not sure how to remove it without using pressure wash. Any soap with little bit of rubbing will make tiny scratches from the mud. Planning to buy the Bosch pressure wash just for this.
Old 6th October 2011, 11:58   #4990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All because with mud splattered on the doors from rains
Just soak the area in soap solution. If possible in a foam based soap solution. In reality the mud will drop down automatically.

I am also looking to get a good pressure washer to 1) Save water 2) Make cleaning easier not only for cars but also the floor.
Old 6th October 2011, 16:03   #4991
Senior - BHPian

How much do the Bosch pressure washers cost ? I just saw a Black and Decker one that costs between 8-9000 Rs

Just remember that regular pressure washes arent good for the paint.
Old 6th October 2011, 22:30   #4992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Thanks, I'm a little skeptic about using my card on such websites though. Have bhpians here ordered through this website? Rates look ok to me, just hope the products are genuine too. Do they sell via ebay also?
I bought a couple of products from AutoFresh (Anckur & Monicka Sama) and the experience was extremely good, not only with sales but service as well as they also have their own detailing centres.
Old 7th October 2011, 12:08   #4993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
A2Z all wheel and tire cleaner wont dress the tires! It'll remove any previous dressing and all of the dirt!
Is there any tire cleaner that cleans the dirt and gives it the new tyre / black look also? Any two-in-one type of tire cleaner that is available on autofresh or ebay?

I really don't that perfect matte or shiny look on tyres, as long as they look washed and black I'm ok.
Old 7th October 2011, 12:26   #4994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is there any tire cleaner that cleans the dirt and gives it the new tyre / black look also? Any two-in-one type of tire cleaner that is available on autofresh or ebay?

I really don't that perfect matte or shiny look on tyres, as long as they look washed and black I'm ok.
That is exactly my requirement as well. As long as the tires look clean and balck, it is fine. No need for the glossy look.

I zero-ed in on the Eagle One A-Z Wheel and tire cleaner for this purpose. Not sure if there is any better product.
Old 7th October 2011, 12:45   #4995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
That is exactly my requirement as well. As long as the tires look clean and balck, it is fine. No need for the glossy look.

I zero-ed in on the Eagle One A-Z Wheel and tire cleaner for this purpose. Not sure if there is any better product.
Eagle One wheel & tire cleaner is very effective. I have tried several products & this one is better.
You can follow the listed procedure for best results:
1) Liberally spray the cleaner on the tire sidewalls & wheels (imp: make sure the wheels are cool to the touch, & do not pre-rinse the tires).
2) Let the solution dwell for 30 secs
3) Agitate with brush (spray on more solution if the tire is very dirty & agitate again)
4) Wash off with a hose
5) Wipe the tires & wheels down with a towel.
I have gotten better results if I did not pre-rinse the tires with water before application.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks