Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2011, 12:57   #5116
BANNED

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^ I haven't understood your post.
Do you want to try something on a small section of the car after applying the sealant?

A good dishwashing liquid is Pril. A few drops are enough to clean oily utensils.

BTW: How do the oily fried food fumes get onto you car?
I thought it was only during rainy season that leaked oil on road gets mixed with water and then splashed on our cars while traveling, but your experience may be different.
Let me explain S_U_N. Have you seen vada's or bhajiya's been fried on the roads. Their particulates float in the air. Ask motorcyclist how oily their face gets when they drive on their highways. It is not only dry dust. This happens all round the year. Not only during monsoons. Also it could be due to an oily face.

Normally it is recommended to shampoo the car once or twice a month to remove this sticky grime. Plain water washing is not that effective. The thinking behind the dishwashing soap is even shampoo's have some conditioners. If the surface can be made squeeky clean (totally void of any oils), the dust will fly off much easier. You must have noticed that dust also sticks to vertical surfaces like doors and side fenders. If the surface is void of any sticky surface it should slip down due to gravity or the force of wind while driving.

Older paints like NC had lesser dust attraction . The newer paints build static charge which should be easy to remove with just water wash as water breaks the static bond. But my observation is there is an oily film binding the dust.

I plan to do some testing of the bonnet, one door, half roof etc. If my theory is right, these sections should remain cleaner in the same environment. With waxes this kind of testing is not possible as the waxes would strip off with a dishwashing liquid. A paint sealant having the UV blockers and having this property of resistance to alkaline wash would be interesting in our polluted enviroment.

I hope you see my school of thought. Thanks for your suggestion of Pril. There is also Palmolive and Vim which could work. I am just wondering if anyone has tried them to dewax a car or clean dishes.
Old 10th November 2011, 13:32   #5117
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a thought. It might be right, it might be nonsense, but here it is...

The purpose of dishwashing liquid is especially to deal with greasy items. Don't oil, grease, wax, all belong to the same sort of family? If you lovingly build up a nice, shiny wax-polish layer on your car, won't dish-wash liquid damage it?
Old 10th November 2011, 19:38   #5118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
torquecurve, I searched Motomax website but their is no mention of sealant in Exteriors section.
The products listed in exteriors section are:
  • Hard Wax Polish
  • 2K rubbing compound
  • Liquid rubbing compound
  • Lightweight polyester putty
  • Motomax creame polish
  • Premium liquid polish
  • Car Shampoo
  • High gloss polish
  • Tyre cleaner
  • Silicon liquid polish
  • Bumper black
On a side note, Motomax is a brand from Pidilite. So we expect quality stuff.
I know it is not on their website. The sales officer had mentioned that they are relaunching the brand as in the past they could not get good response from the market. I will post pictures of my bottle sometime later.
Old 10th November 2011, 19:40   #5119
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

The purpose of dishwashing liquid is especially to deal with greasy items. Don't oil, grease, wax, all belong to the same sort of family? If you lovingly build up a nice, shiny wax-polish layer on your car, won't dish-wash liquid damage it?
Thad, one cannot use a dishwashing liquid on a waxed surface. This is a test for paint sealant which too protect the paint without the disadvantage of an oily surface like a WAX. Dishwashing liquid will strip the waxed surface.

NOTE: One can create a shiny wet looked surface without using a wax. The paint sealant has a shiny candy looking surface without the oily dust attracting surface.
ThinkBig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 21:57   #5120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
Thanks for your suggestion of Pril. There is also Palmolive and Vim which could work. I am just wondering if anyone has tried them to dewax a car or clean dishes.
I have a lot of experience using Pril and Vim liquid - but only with cleaning dishes.
I somehow liked Pril over Vim.

Anyway, I accidentally ordered Optimum Hyper Polish spray instead of ONR 32 oz from Auto-Mall.
The polish is of no use to me since I don't have a DA or Rotary.
If anyone is interested in getting the polish then please let me know. The spray bottle is unused and unopened at the moment.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 22:08   #5121
Senior - BHPian

I bought Formula1 Scratch out for my car. Totally useless product. Cant even remove the minor scratches.
Old 10th November 2011, 22:22   #5122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I bought Formula1 Scratch out for my car. Totally useless product. Cant even remove the minor scratches.
Raj Formula1 Scratch Out is a good product. Try this first, move your nail across the scratch, if the nail is getting stuck, than the scratch cannot be removed. Only the abrasive that is present will be removed. Mostly hairline scratches are removed.
Another thing being, finding Genuine products is also a problem with Formula1 products. I bought Scratch Out from CarPoint Opera House, Mumbai for Rs. 150. CarPoint is the authorized distributor of Formula1 products in Mumbai.
You can even try Quixx Scratch Remover. That's the best.
Old 11th November 2011, 01:49   #5123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
For Sealant you could use the Motomax paint sealant. I use that, topped with a layer of Collinite 845. It has been two months since I did this and the car still shines like the day I did this.

I had to go for a car wash on Friday (forced) at Balaji Car wash on Nagar road. The idiot used Wheel active soap powder

The best part is my car still beads water and shines!

The Motomax sealant (99 bucks) is dirt cheap for the quality and look it offers.
I've never heard of motomax sealant and is it a good trustful brand in the first place ?. A good sealant according to my research till now is the Meguiars Ultimate paste wax or NXT tech 2.0 wax, these are pure sealants btw. You can then top it off with your Collinite wax which is not really necessary unless you're a total psycho like me to protect your car's paint

Quote:
Using running water to hose down a car is a criminal waste of water, unless you are using a pressure washer, which will cut down the use. Irrespective a typical hose wash will use more than 75 litres of water, whereas a bucket wash (2 bucket technique) will use around 25-28 litres.
You're right here , using running water to wash your car is also risky since you could accidentally rub the hose on to your paint and mar it in the process. Plus using the 2 bucket technique after properly hosing your car first is safer and environmental friendly too.
Old 11th November 2011, 01:59   #5124
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used Turtle Wax's scratch repair kit ? If so kindly share with us your experience.

Also don't you guy's think we need a separate section for automotive care and detailing. There are just too many brands and products reviews within this one thread which is difficult for all of us to read. Plus none of us can really share our views/experience's we've had with products that we've used.

The mods could split up this section into further categories as mentioned below

1) Vinyl/ Leather care.
2) Exterior Washing solutions.
3) Paint care ( waxing , polishing etc )
4) Interior Cleaning.
5) Tire cleaners.
6) Professional detailing.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 02:26   #5125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I've never heard of motomax sealant and is it a good trustful brand in the first place ?. A good sealant according to my research till now is the Meguiars Ultimate paste wax or NXT tech 2.0 wax, these are pure sealants btw. You can then top it off with your Collinite wax which is not really necessary unless you're a total psycho like me to protect your car's paint
IMHO Motomax is a decent brand, owned by Pidilite Ind, makers of Fevicol. Most of the products are priced so as not to break the bank.

Me a Psycho, No! Well, I only spent the money earmarked to buy a gift for my GF to buy some stuff for the car, now that does not make me a psycho does it?
Old 11th November 2011, 02:44   #5126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Me a Psycho, No! Well, I only spent the money earmarked to buy a gift for my GF to buy some stuff for the car, now that does not make me a psycho does it?
Well I guess not. I'm a sucker for auto accessories and spend a lot like how girls would spend on their clothing and makeups. I would put my car in front of my gf though , hope she doesn't read this . So i guess i'm the only psycho here.
Old 11th November 2011, 03:07   #5127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Well I guess not. I'm a sucker for auto accessories and spend a lot like how girls would spend on their clothing and makeups. I would put my car in front of my gf though , hope she doesn't read this . So i guess i'm the only psycho here.
My car comes first too buddy, the lack of punctuation maybe made it unreadable. (Typing in office while giving feedback ).

I spend a 1000 bucks at least almost every month on car accessories (in addition to 10K I spend on Petrol! - The Govt sucks blood!) And you will find me working on my car on Saturday and Sunday night (2 a.m.)! Well I do qualify to be called a Psycho!

Last edited by torquecurve : 11th November 2011 at 03:09.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 10:45   #5128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Raj Formula1 Scratch Out is a good product. Try this first, move your nail across the scratch, if the nail is getting stuck, than the scratch cannot be removed. Only the abrasive that is present will be removed. Mostly hairline scratches are removed.
Another thing being, finding Genuine products is also a problem with Formula1 products. I bought Scratch Out from CarPoint Opera House, Mumbai for Rs. 150. CarPoint is the authorized distributor of Formula1 products in Mumbai.
You can even try Quixx Scratch Remover. That's the best.
In my case, even the abrasives & minor scratches were not removed. Wonder whether I have got a fake product. I bought it from Home Town mall in Vikhroli.

I will try out Quixx now.
Old 11th November 2011, 17:40   #5129
BHPian

Dear All,
I just inquired about exterior treatment for removing swirl marks on my Alto & Polo at one of the detailers here in Ahmadabad. I was quoted Rs. 2100/- for the Alto & 2400/- for the Polo.
This does not include any interior treatment. Only exteriors are treated & coated.
Can anyone guide me on the prices? Are they on par with the current market?
The detailer is doing good business and has 3-4 locations in Ahmadabad alone so I don't doubt the kind of materials used. But still need to check his work in person.
Old 11th November 2011, 20:35   #5130
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Thad, I believe you are absolutely right. We should never ever use a dishwashing liquid on the car. Never ever do it. It shall strip all oils and waxes off the car and render the surface unprotected. Even if you use a sealant after that, the surface would be extremely dry and the paint shall form hairline cracks within a few weeks.

Always use a car shampoo. If you have grime which does not get cleaned, use a paint cleaner. This should be followed by a very mild abrasive polish, followed by a wax coating. Typically this is a 3-stage process. In case time is a constraint (like for most of us casual detalers), there are several good products which act as an "all-in-one". You have Autoglym's Super Resin Polish which contains a paint cleaner, polish and filler / sealant. Either a 3-step process or an all in one is a great way to keep the paint clean and shiny after several years.

For even quicker detailing, use a wash and wax. However that would not do a deep clean of the paint and is more suited for newer cars (cars with less than 2 years from manufacture) or cars which have been detailed above using the 3-stage process or with an all-in-one product. The wash and wax shall protect and bolster the car wax between washes.

The way I maintain my Alto is I do a detailing session myself every 2 months by a good car shampoo followed by Autoglym's super resin polish. I then maintain the finish by using Mother's California Gold Wash and Wax for weekly washing. In between the weekly washes, I use a microfiber brush (very similar to Jopasu's product, except imported from abroad) to dust off the dust. It's been 7 years now and my paint is still in good form

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks