Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 19:59   #5311
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I was offering an alternative, a lil more aesthetically appealing option than sprayed styrofoam that can be maintained with a vinyl protectant!!
Sorry. I was just kidding. Wild ideas. Imagine encasing a car in rigid foam to save it from the mad men on the streets - though sometimes I really wish I had the protection.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 22:43   #5312
BHPian

Here's how my alto's hood post detailing.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-alto.jpg  

NOTORIOUS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 23:05   #5313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
He he! I use 3 covers and initially I had planned upto 10, but it wouldn't have been practical even though the protection then would have been impenetrable!(dents can still be transferred through the covers, scratches will be prevented though

I also wanted to design car side, front and rear profile specific styrofoam moulds that would fit on the panels!

I have experimented with 5cm thick styrofoam sheets between covers on my car's exposed side profile and they were able to absorb a really nasty sideswipe by a bad women driver(the sideswipe moved my car quite a bit).

I couldnt believe my eyes when I pulled up the cover beneath the styrofoam! I was expecting a full blown dent extending from front door to fender!

But styrofoam absorbed the impact and didnt let it localise to the impact area! There was just a lil bit of marring on the clearcoat!

This gave me the idea to build full side profile hugging styrofoam sheets that can be tucked under the outer cover(over the inner cover) and the car can literally be made dent resistant, at least while its parked!
Hahaa. people like us do think alike. I too have covered the car with couple of sheets of black styrofoam on top and bonnet area to prevent the irreparable dings caused by twigs. Am thinking of fabricating a cover from this material to prevent the other car which is parked on road. Have already bought the material last month and hope to proceed towards fabrication soon.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 13:59   #5314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Here's how my alto's hood post detailing.
That's a K10 I suppose. You forgot to mention HOW the detailing was done?
Old 6th January 2012, 17:22   #5315
Senior - BHPian

Kkvaidya: I don't think thats a K10. The color seems to be the same as mine i.e. blue Blaze, which never came on K10.
BTW i second on what you said about the procedure. Would like to know what products were used by you Notorious.
Old 10th January 2012, 01:34   #5316
BHPian

Gurus,
This thread is an information treasure. I have a 2 month old Urban titanium Honda Jazz,I wash the car every weekend with just water and once in a month using Amway car wash. This is the procedure i usually follow.

Step 1: Wash the entire car panel by panel using plain water, two bucket method.
Step 2(Once in a month) :Wash the car with Amway car wash shampoo and rinse with plain water.
Step 3: Wipe the water with MF cloth once a panel is washed.
Step 4: Scrub and clean the tires using the amway car wash shampoo + water.
Step 5(once in a month): Use wd40 to remove tar spots from the wheel alloys.

Now in step 4 I don't get black tire, it’s kind of "OK" clean(slight brownish black) and i don't expect it to be shine black. I've heard that Eagle one A-z is good for cleaning tires. Any experience guys?

Being a novice, to start with detailing I need your suggestion on the following

1) I'am thinking to use Clay bar as step 6 once in 2 months (Am i wrong with the freq???)
2) Step 7 to wax the car. But i'am confused with the brand. Read throughout the thread that Collinite 845 is good, but i see its called insulator wax any idea why its called so? For my car colour Is there any other Collinite product which will suite better than Collinite 845?
3) Do i need to introduce a new step between Step 6 and step 7 to apply "Sealant" .BTW what’s a sealant? Is it necessary to use sealant before waxing?
4) Are any of the product clay bar,wax or Sealant abrasive?
Old 10th January 2012, 17:32   #5317
Senior - BHPian

That looks like the 800cc Alto to me, the K10's bonnet is a little longer & curvy at the edges compared to the flatter texture of the 800cc Alto.

But nevertheless, good result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Old 10th January 2012, 18:19   #5318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Kkvaidya: I don't think thats a K10. The color seems to be the same as mine i.e. blue Blaze, which never came on K10.
BTW i second on what you said about the procedure. Would like to know what products were used by you Notorious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
That looks like the 800cc Alto to me, the K10's bonnet is a little longer & curvy at the edges compared to the flatter texture of the 800cc Alto.

But nevertheless, good result.
Guys

Its Alto 800 CC for sure. Looking at Notorious' signature, his Alto is 2009 manufactured and Alto K10 was launched in Aug 2010, so its Alto 800 CC.
Old 11th January 2012, 00:36   #5319
Senior - BHPian

I'm no Guru, just putting forward my view from whatever I have learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-e View Post
Now in step 4 I don't get black tire, it’s kind of "OK" clean(slight brownish black) and i don't expect it to be shine black. I've heard that Eagle one A-z is good for cleaning tires. Any experience guys?
Haven't used any tyre cleaner, so cannot comment onto it.

Quote:
1) I'am thinking to use Clay bar as step 6 once in 2 months (Am i wrong with the freq???)
If you are fine with the hard work involved in claying, it good to do claying once in 2 months.

Quote:
2) Step 7 to wax the car. But i'am confused with the brand. Read throughout the thread that Collinite 845 is good, but i see its called insulator wax any idea why its called so? For my car colour Is there any other Collinite product which will suite better than Collinite 845?
As your car color is dark, 845 would give your car a wet look compared to light colored cars. 845 is the best wax when it comes to durability.
If you want more wet look you can use Collinite 915 but its durability is lesser than 845. Use 845, don't worry whether its called insulator wax or anything.

Quote:
3) Do i need to introduce a new step between Step 6 and step 7 to apply "Sealant" .BTW what’s a sealant? Is it necessary to use sealant before waxing?
Sealant is a step between claying and waxing. Many people only do claying+sealant and others claying+sealant+waxing.
Sealant is a chemical which bonds to the paint surface and helps protect it from various agents which could damage it. Sealant gives a wet look to the car after it has been applied.
The two best sealant I have known are Black Fire Wet Diamond and Opti-Seal. BFWD once applied takes 6-8 hrs for curing/bonding to the paint surface whereas Opti-Seal is just spray on and wife off.
BFWD is much better than Opti-Seal.
Sealant + waxing will give your car a very wet look and the reflection and finish would be awesome.

Quote:
4) Are any of the product clay bar,wax or Sealant abrasive?
No. Proper care needs to be taken while applying and during buffing.

If you have any further query let me know, would be happy to help.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 15:26   #5320
Senior - BHPian

Guys I just bought Formula one liquid wax bottle for Rs. 350. I was fed up of turtle wax because of it's hard to remove nature.

Which one is better liquid or paste wax? Which stays longer? Why liquid waxes are easy to remove?
Old 12th January 2012, 00:05   #5321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I'm no Guru, just putting forward my view from whatever I have learned.
You sure are

Quote:
No. Proper care needs to be taken while applying and during buffing.
What do you mean by Proper care? I understood from this thread that for claying we need to use quick detailer as lubricant and buff, but other than that aren’t sealant and wax just apply, wipe and buff. Would you suggest any other precaution/warning that i should keep in mind?

One more question for each of the process(clay,sealant,wax) should I use different MF cloth for buffing?
Old 12th January 2012, 00:31   #5322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you mean by Proper care? I understood from this thread that for claying we need to use quick detailer as lubricant and buff, but other than that aren’t sealant and wax just apply, wipe and buff. Would you suggest any other precaution/warning that i should keep in mind?
Proper care:
1. Always use a clean MF for applying, buffing and cleaning.
2. Always start from top to bottom. If you are waxing first do the roof, than bonnet, followed by boot and than the doors.
3. Always keep the clay and your hand well lubricated as clay has tendency to stick to anything which ain't lubricated.
4. Cars have various lines and curves. So during claying always clay one part and never jump the line/curve.
5. Always mask with a masking tape, matt plastic parts as wax might stick to it and make it appear white.
6. Always apply wax in a certain pattern. Like going in circles or applying vertically in circular motion.

Quote:
One more question for each of the process(clay,sealant,wax) should I use different MF cloth for buffing?
I would say yes. During buffing the wax always keep changing the side of MF when you start feeling the MF is starting to feel rough. Once you buff the wax, the MF would easily glide over the paint work with the pressure applied by hand and wont feel rough.

I haven't purchased any of the two sealant because of the non availability, so no experience yet in application of sealant. What I have wrote about sealant is from whatever information I have gained from various other forums.
Waiting to get BFWD when it becomes available.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 12th January 2012 at 00:34.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 10:30   #5323
Senior - BHPian

Hey mate,

Just wanted to know the reason behind this point. Can you please tell as to how this practice can help?

Quote:
Proper care:
2. Always start from top to bottom. If you are waxing first do the roof, than bonnet, followed by boot and than the doors.
Old 12th January 2012, 10:30   #5324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Just ordered Mother Clay bar kit from Ebay Mothers California Gold® Clay Bar System | eBay

The kit contains 2 clay bars, one detailer and micro-fibre towel. Price:1350/-. Is it a OK deal?
Got this delivered finally! A little OT: Ebay sucks when it comes to delivery of products. The package took 5 days to reach me and it was all crumpled and wrinkled. I checked the contents and thankfully they are intact. Flipkart rocks in this matter. Till date, I have got all my deliveries from Flipkart in flat 24 hours/max 36 hours.

Will post my experience with the clay bars over the weekend.
Old 12th January 2012, 10:44   #5325
BHPian

My Query may sound off topic here.

But wanted to know, how can the Old Aluminum Parts / Accessories can get back their shine, without motorised buffing.

Are any polishes available that do a decent job ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks