Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2012, 23:37   #5461
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Finally got a pair of Torin Jack Stands 3 Ton for Rs. 950 from Mehta Sales Corporation, Opera house. Will be using them to clean the wheel wells and underbelly with my Karcher K2.180 but after 28 May'12 when my PG exams get over.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03125.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03126.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03134.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03138.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03141.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Ah ok, He quoted 1259 when I emailed recently.
That's quite expensive, you would be better off with Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towel for Rs. 750 (Link).

Quote:
Got some Finish Kare 215 cleanerwax and sealant from him as well and tried it out, seems like a nice product

They recommend a top up with another wax like collinite, will do that tomorrow if I'm not feeling lazy
That's some very fine and detailed looking Polo you got there. Topping up the sealant with a paste wax will further enhance the shine and deep gloss finish. Collinite 915 is the best and Collinite 845 follows it next, but when durability is concerned nothing beats Collinite 845.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 15:25   #5462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got some Finish Kare 215 cleanerwax and sealant from him as well and tried it out, seems like a nice product

Attachment 896642

They recommend a top up with another wax like collinite, will do that tomorrow if I'm not feeling lazy
Topped up with Collinite 845 today on the metal parts of car. Excluded bumper since it was painted recently. I guess dusty tyres and bumper are letting down the effect

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-car3.jpg
Old 4th March 2012, 18:35   #5463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Finally got a pair of Torin Jack Stands 3 Ton for Rs. 950 from Mehta Sales Corporation, Opera house. Will be using them to clean the wheel wells and underbelly with my Karcher K2.180 but after 28 May'12 when my PG exams get over
Congratulations on your purchase. Would be interesting to see WIP pictures.

Good luck for your exams.
Old 4th March 2012, 21:09   #5464
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Clean the glass with water and vinegar in 50/50 conc.
That should take care of the water spotting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj2010 View Post
Water stains can be removed with vinegar and purified water.
Cleaning with vinegar/water 50/50 conc. did not help. The hard water spots are still there on the ORV mirrors and glasses. Any other alternatives ?
Attaching a Picture of the ORVM - notice the edges of the mirror - that's where the spots are concentrated.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-orvm.jpg

Last edited by NPV : 4th March 2012 at 21:14.
Old 4th March 2012, 21:38   #5465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Cleaning with vinegar/water 50/50 conc. did not help. The hard water spots are still there on the ORV mirrors and glasses. Any other alternatives ?
Attaching a Picture of the ORVM - notice the edges of the mirror - that's where the spots are concentrated.
Attachment 896980
If its just the mirrors, you can try Colin. It usually works for me. If it doesn't work, you can try Formula 1 Car Shampoo along with a chamois cloth. If the paint has this too, I don't know what to do as I have the same problem and my friends at the workshop say it is due to water deposits on black paint.
Old 4th March 2012, 23:33   #5466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
My first attempt at engine detailing. Focussed just on the black parts today. Will improve on this soon!

Attachment 896365

Attachment 896366
Damn, that looks better than what a new car would !
Great job out there !

So what was used to get such a gleaming finish to the black plastics ? would surely like to try out the same.
Old 4th March 2012, 23:34   #5467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV

Can you feel those spots?
Btw you can try straight vinegar if 50/50 didn't work, but keep it away from paint. Try some rubbing alcohol as it's paint safe.

You can also try a compound or a polish to remove them!

And remember to avoid using hard water to wash the car, if there isn't any alternative then after the wash do a thorough job of drying as leftover hard water will leave spots like those behind. Using a quick detailer during drying will make it easier!

Last edited by sohail99 : 4th March 2012 at 23:35.
Old 5th March 2012, 00:51   #5468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Topped up with Collinite 845 today on the metal parts of car. Excluded bumper since it was painted recently. I guess dusty tyres and bumper are letting down the effect
Bottle, your car looks wonderful. Did you get the bumper paint job sorted out properly?

Mine got its first scratch... not very deep, but quite long. It was inevitable. It has not penetrated the whole paint layer, so no rust risk. I'll wax it anyway.

It is time my car had its first wax. That'll make me a proper member of this thread!

(well, no: I'll never have the dedication to gloss and shine that you guys have <Blush>)
Old 5th March 2012, 01:26   #5469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Bottle, your car looks wonderful. Did you get the bumper paint job sorted out properly?
Yeah they polished it and used some rubbing compound and most of the marks from the shoddy sanding has gone off. There is still some orange peel effect but much more managable.

I will get it detailed professionally sometime later
Old 5th March 2012, 02:42   #5470
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 896980
See post no 94 in this thread where a guy used harpic to removed marks on his windshield

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dshield-7.html
Old 5th March 2012, 10:04   #5471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
I have noticed few detailing sites refer Cobra towel as good one.
Did you noticed it's small in size to cover a sedan? In this case Viking may have more advantage.
I do not know in terms of size comparison with other brands, but I can tell you that even if the Cobra towel was smaller it would have still effectively dried a sedan in one pass.

Quote:
Mothers Glass cleaner can get rid of the water marks on glass. I have tried it on my car and it has always worked.
Just wet the glass with water (in case you can avoid hard water, then that would be good).
Then spray the Glass cleaner on the stained area and leave it for a few seconds.
Then using a moist MF, start rubbing the glass area.
Then using a dry area, just buff the area.
If it still does not help, then that area probably has got something else on it.

Edit: I just saw the photo again. Can you try spraying WD40 and leaving it on for a few minutes? Then use something else like a Glass cleaner.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by noopster : 5th March 2012 at 14:29.
Old 5th March 2012, 12:16   #5472
Senior - BHPian

Guys, how is the Meguairs range of microfiber towels? I could see that one is a normal towel & then there's another one specifically meant for drying a wet car.

Just wanted to seek opinions, in terms of how Meguairs fares against certain other products being spoken of here, like Viking or Cobra or Eurow etc.

Awaiting prompt responses since I am about to make a purchase.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 5th March 2012 at 12:18.
Old 5th March 2012, 14:40   #5473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
See post no 94 in this thread where a guy used harpic to removed marks on his windshield

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dshield-7.html
Though Harpic removes the water scales but it's very dangerous as one of the key ingredient is HCl (acid). I once tried using it on a mirror and as it reacts with chrome, it turns it black. Especially it can negatively affect rubbers and plastics. I would not use Harpic at all or if nothing works, I will be extremely cautious while using it.

Have you tried using a tooth paste? I use any calcium based (Anchor or cheapest possible) tooth paste. I spray water on the glass and then rub tooth paste on it and let it dry. Once it's dry, I just buff away the tooth paste which takes all scales and deposits away.
Old 5th March 2012, 21:27   #5474

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Guys,

Any recommendation on drying towel?, Heard waffle weave ones are good, Did anyone tried it.

I have tried absorb and found not suitable for car clean at all. Only suitable for house/floor clean.

I'm planning to buy Viking drying towel now, any advise?
I quit using real chamois about 4 yrs ago and only use over sized professional style micro fiber drying towels. They are 25"x35" with silk banding and very thick and gentle on the paint finish and I favor this over waffle weave. Also the only methods I use to wash a car, in the last 3yrs, is with a Rinse-less formula or Water-less formula. I quit using traditional car wash shampoo 3yrs ago. I live in San Diego California in the USA and we have very strict water conservation laws. It is against the law, in some counties, to wash your own car in your own driveway with running water from a hose. Both of these technologies are superior in several ways to traditional car wash shampoo and the best ones will have a liquid sealant to give the paint finish a boost in shine and protection. Here is a link to a demonstration of me using both...at the beach no less! I dont know if you guys have access to products like this in India but I would think they are perfect for your conditions.
Old 5th March 2012, 23:38   #5475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Guys, how is the Meguairs range of microfiber towels? I could see that one is a normal towel & then there's another one specifically meant for drying a wet car.

Just wanted to seek opinions, in terms of how Meguairs fares against certain other products being spoken of here, like Viking or Cobra or Eurow etc.
Well I believe Meguiars is the best you can get. There are two type of towels available from Meguiars, one is Supreme Shine Rs. 297 and another is Water Magnet(Waffle Based) Rs. 749. Price wise they are very competitive considering the quality.
I had purchased Viking 6.25 sqft drying towel which costed me Rs. 900+ and right now it costs above Rs. 1200+. It makes no sense, better than Viking is Meguirs in price point of view.

In the end I would sum it up as "Meguiars is what Apple is in the tech world". Go with Meguiars and you wont be disappointed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks