Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 20:40   #5581
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I have a small drop of cement on the boot of my Fiesta that is refusing to come out and has become rock solid. Can anyone advice how i can remove it without damaging the paint?
Old 21st March 2012, 18:42   #5582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I went to auto mall's godown (godown is a joke ) and picked up a clay bar and a few other things. bargained on the price plus he threw in a free microfiber towel. Why order online and wait 3 days?

I saw scratchx being sold at throttle, jayanagar. you can pick it up from there if you cannot wait.
I wish i had that much time . BTW how much discount did he offer, have to calculate the money spent in petrol to go there and come back :-)

I already ordered ScatchX thru amazon and someone is carrying it for me.

So you plan to do your car this weekend? Please post pics
Old 21st March 2012, 19:30   #5583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I have a small drop of cement on the boot of my Fiesta that is refusing to come out and has become rock solid. Can anyone advice how i can remove it without damaging the paint?
Please post a pic of this and then it would be easy to give solution. I have few suggestion:

1. Take a small screw driver (flat head) and scrub the cement gently and stop when you feel paint layer to appear. This has to be done very cautiously. At last remaining cement can be removed by soap and water and using rubbing polish to get back the glossy finish.

2. If drop of cement is big then we can try breaking it by first cooling it and then heating it immediately. Put lots of crushed ice on the cement and surrounding area and let it cool. Then remove the ice and immediately blow hot air using hair drier.
Old 21st March 2012, 20:51   #5584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Clay bar should help with contaminants which cannot be removed by shampooing and makes the surface smooth. I haven't used clay bar to remove hard water marks, so cannot comment on it.
I washed the car with Formula 1 Wax and Wash, dried it and clayed it. Took me a long time after watching the Youtube video put up by Mothers on how to use the clay bar. But it was worth it. There were many portions near the front fender, rear bumper and also on the bonnet which felt very rough even after cleaning, and they seemed to have contaminants that the claying successfully removed. The result was a very smooth surface.

Then, I applied FinishKare using an applicator pad, and then wiped it off after it hazed, using a microfibre towel. Finally, I did one coat of Collinite 845 the same way. I did all the pre-Collinite work at night.

The stains of course didn't go, but ScratchX should reach in a few days, and I'll post my experiences with it here.

Meanwhile, I have a couple of questions. Now that the car has been waxed (2 days ago) and I am not putting the cover on it, it does attract a lot of dust. Kanpur as you know is filled with dirt and dust. So, I have had to dry wipe the car with a slightly moist microfibre towel, but I am wondering what the "maintenance" tasks are. If I have to just dry wipe, do I need to do the whole wash and wax routine, or just the microfibre towel based wiping?
Old 21st March 2012, 22:49   #5585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
I washed the car with Formula 1 Wax and Wash, dried it and clayed it. Took me a long time after watching the Youtube video put up by Mothers on how to use the clay bar. But it was worth it. There were many portions near the front fender, rear bumper and also on the bonnet which felt very rough even after cleaning, and they seemed to have contaminants that the claying successfully removed. The result was a very smooth surface.
Good, to know that you have started detailing your car.
The anxiety when you receive the product is too much to resist. You should have taken some pics of before and after which would give us a good perspective and even of the clay bar after all the claying. Next time, huh!

Quote:
Then, I applied FinishKare using an applicator pad, and then wiped it off after it hazed, using a microfibre towel. Finally, I did one coat of Collinite 845 the same way. I did all the pre-Collinite work at night.
Again do post pics of it, so we too could see the FinishKare sealant's shine and finish.

Quote:
The stains of course didn't go, but ScratchX should reach in a few days, and I'll post my experiences with it here.
The stains would obviously require a rubbing compound i.e. ScratchX to get rid of those. Well some bad news, now that you have sealed and waxed the car, that certain portion where you would use ScratchX would get devoid of the work done, as ScratchX would remove the wax and sealant.
Anyways, use ScratchX in circular motion with applicator pad and those hard water stains would disappear for sure. Don't worry even if you need to do it twice or thrice, as it won't cause any damage to the paint. After those stains are taken care, again just seal the surface with FinishKare and wax it with 845.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I have a couple of questions. Now that the car has been waxed (2 days ago) and I am not putting the cover on it, it does attract a lot of dust. Kanpur as you know is filled with dirt and dust. So, I have had to dry wipe the car with a slightly moist microfibre towel, but I am wondering what the "maintenance" tasks are. If I have to just dry wipe, do I need to do the whole wash and wax routine, or just the microfibre towel based wiping?
That's a very tricky question and it all depends on how much care you wish to take for your beloved car.

I for instance, too have a black car and the dust condition are same or even worse than Kanpur. Today, itself it looked as if there were sand storms in Navi Mumbai.

I wash the car twice in week, on Wednesday and Sunday using Amway Car Shampoo and quick detail it with Optimum No Rinse(ONR) in the ratio 1:16(ONR:Water) in a spray bottle. Well I myself cannot wash the car everyday and cannot devote the time to it and if I did everyone in my society would go gaga saying I just keep pampering my car and nothing else. Washing car everyday is also not a good idea because of the wastage of water too.

You could go my way, is wash car twice a week preferably Sunday & Wednesday as I use the car daily for 30 kms except on Sunday. To get the rid of dust you could get yourself Jopasu Car Duster costs Rs. 575 and worth every penny. T-Bhp Link.

Dust the car with it and should do a good job without the need of washing it everyday. You could even buy Optimum No Rinse(ONR) concentrate to make a quick detailer, when you have dusted the car with Jopasu, just quick detail it with ONR in the ratio 1:16(ONR:Water). This link should help you understand better all the aspects of ONR.

You can purchase ONR either from Auto-Mall Ebay or even from Carpolish.in. ONR is a multi-faceted product which can be used to make a quick detailer, claying lubricant and excellent no rinse car wash. I too use for quick detailing when I wash the car and when use clay bar to clay the surface and sometimes for no rinse car wash.

Let me know for any query, would be more than happy to help.
Old 22nd March 2012, 06:25   #5586
BHPian

Quote:
Well some bad news, now that you have sealed and waxed the car, that certain portion where you would use ScratchX would get devoid of the work done, as ScratchX would remove the wax and sealant.
Oh, I was aware of that, so I did not use the sealant and wax on that region at all . I only clayed that portion after washing. As for sealing and waxing, I just did it on the bonnet, the doors, the wheel arches and the roof (minus the sunroof, which should not be waxed/sealed, according to the manual).

So after washing (which will inevitably remove at least some of the wax layer, and possibly also the sealant) do you always wax? If not, how frequently do you go through the wash->clay->seal->wax motions?

Thanks for info about the Jopasu duster. I was aware of it, but I did not know if it would be safe to use with a black car. I'll order one. Does it include the small duster for the interiors? How do you wash it? (Referring specifically to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1509133).

Why not use a microfibre towel for dry wiping the car by the way?

Also, is it possible to get more clay bars, and not the entire Mothers California Clay Bar System (which includes the Showtime detailer)? Do you throw your clay bar after it is used once?

By the way, if there are any Cruze owners here, I'd like to know what you use to clean/detail the interiors, and the wheels. I don't want to use something very expensive for the interiors, since I am not sure what the dashboard coverings are made of (the seats are leather, but I am getting covers for them soon).

Last edited by darthvader : 22nd March 2012 at 06:33.
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:18   #5587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wash the car twice in week, on Wednesday and Sunday using Amway Car Shampoo and quick detail it with Optimum No Rinse(ONR) in the ratio 1:16(ONR:Water) in a spray bottle. Well I myself cannot wash the car everyday and cannot devote the time to it and if I did everyone in my society would go gaga saying I just keep pampering my car and nothing else. Washing car everyday is also not a good idea because of the wastage of water too.
el, just wanted to check if you follow through the entire routine of claying, waxing & sealing the car's paint after a wash or is it just once a month & simple washes twice a week?

Quote:
I'd like to know what you use to clean/detail the interiors, and the wheels. I don't want to use something very expensive for the interiors, since I am not sure what the dashboard coverings are made of (the seats are leather, but I am getting covers for them soon).
darth, though I don't have experience using a lot of products for car interior care, I have used the 3M interior protector for quite long now & I can vouch that it's a relatively cheaper product that carries good quality. Maybe, you could give that a try. But this product is only meant for vinyls, plastics etc & not for leather.
Old 22nd March 2012, 20:32   #5588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, I was aware of that, so I did not use the sealant and wax on that region at all . I only clayed that portion after washing. As for sealing and waxing, I just did it on the bonnet, the doors, the wheel arches and the roof (minus the sunroof, which should not be waxed/sealed, according to the manual).
Absolutely correctly done. Glass is never to be clayed or waxed. I use Armour-All Glass Cleaner, does a fab job with newspaper.

Quote:
So after washing (which will inevitably remove at least some of the wax layer, and possibly also the sealant) do you always wax? If not, how frequently do you go through the wash->clay->seal->wax motions?
One should probably do the entire routine once in 2 months and if not 3 months. Looking at the dust condition I have here, I should probably do it every 2 months but for the want of time.
I last I did proper detailing(w/o sealant) on the car was back in Dec'11 and after that stupid car cleaner with his technique of washing, stripped car of it's wax in just 1 wk and since than stands fired, with me as new cleaner washing the car twice a week.
Currently the surface fells a bit rough, claying is required. Haven't got time due to PG exams coming up and endless professor's assignments/practicals. On 28 May'12, all of it finishes and plan to do a through washing, claying, sealing & finally 2 coats of Collinite 915 wax.
After I did do the detailing, would be washing the car twice a week with Amway Car Shampoo, and would be confident whether it removes the wax or not.
I even might get the Jopasu duster and dust the car with it and just quick detail it with ONR(Optimum No Rinse). Lot of R&D to be done on the washing aspect after I have waxed it June 1st week. Till then I just wash it twice and quick detail.

Quote:
Thanks for info about the Jopasu duster. I was aware of it, but I did not know if it would be safe to use with a black car. I'll order one. Does it include the small duster for the interiors? How do you wash it? (Referring specifically to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1509133).
Even I have to order, would be ordering one in coming days. The sandstorm yesterday left car quite dusty and the reason for the sandstorm was it came from Rajasthan all the way through Gujrat.
Just go through this Ebay Link and it gives all the available combination of Jopasu duster. Take your pick and they are directly sold by Jopasu Company on Ebay. So no fake or counterfeiting.

Quote:
Why not use a microfibre towel for dry wiping the car by the way?
Because dust particles will cause scratch even though the cloth used is MF. We use MF instead of normal cloth because it doesn't cause scratches and swirls marks. Any dirt particles getting attached or dragged by MF will eventually cause scratches and swirls marks. That's why we either dust the car with Jopasu duster and wash it with shampoo/quick detail. Choices vary.

Quote:
Also, is it possible to get more clay bars, and not the entire Mothers California Clay Bar System (which includes the Showtime detailer)? Do you throw your clay bar after it is used once?
Yes, you can get 80 gm clay bar either Meguiar or Mothers from Sanjay at Bringingbest Impex. As when showtime detailer finishes you could get another one from Auto-Mall Ebay or even get ONR and make claybar lubricant in 1:64 ratio(ONR:Water).

Quote:
By the way, if there are any Cruze owners here, I'd like to know what you use to clean/detail the interiors, and the wheels. I don't want to use something very expensive for the interiors, since I am not sure what the dashboard coverings are made of (the seats are leather, but I am getting covers for them soon).
For interior you could use Meguiars Natural Shine spray, for cleaning tyres/rims Megs Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner and finally for that glossy finish Megs Endurance Spray.

But sourcing these products would be difficult in Kanpur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
el, just wanted to check if you follow through the entire routine of claying, waxing & sealing the car's paint after a wash or is it just once a month & simple washes twice a week?
No, last wax was done in Dec'11. One should probably do the entire routine once in 2 months and if not 3 months. Looking at the dust condition I have here, I should probably do it every 2 months but for the want of time.
Old 22nd March 2012, 20:49   #5589
BHPian

Quote:
Glass is never to be clayed or waxed.
Erm, why?

You can totally use a clay bar on windshield/windows. I have used many times without a zilch. Claying makes the glass even more clearer. As far as wax is concerned, you can use that on windows without any problems. I once used it on the windshield, but the wipers made streak marks, so had to take it off.
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:17   #5590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibzi View Post
Erm, why?

As far as wax is concerned, you can use that on windows without any problems. I once used it on the windshield, but the wipers made streak marks, so had to take it off.
You, yourself answering your own question.

As for claying, I rather use a automotive glass cleaner like ArmourAll/Meguiars which does a fab job of keeping glass clean and streak free. Clay bar has a tendency to stick and I won't like it doing so even after using a lubricant.
Old 22nd March 2012, 22:45   #5591
BHPian

as far as my experience goes , you can clay glass without any problem. The only point is that you should use diffrent clay bar for glass and body .
Old 23rd March 2012, 01:00   #5592
BHPian

Just use plenty of lube when claying glass, its entirely safe to use. Will reduce judder of wiper blades on the windshield too. paint overspray, tree sap etc can be easily removed.

The same clay used for body can be used too.
Old 23rd March 2012, 02:01   #5593
BHPian

Quote:
One should probably do the entire routine once in 2 months and if not 3 months. Looking at the dust condition I have here, I should probably do it every 2 months but for the want of time.
So your car is parked in the open, and it gets a full layer of dust on it. Or, you drive it around soon after waxing, and it gets dust. How do you remove it? That is what I was referring to by "maintenance".

Also, aren't there bird dropping removers and tree sap removers?
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:11   #5594
BHPian

Quote:
You, yourself answering your own question.

As for claying, I rather use a automotive glass cleaner like ArmourAll/Meguiars which does a fab job of keeping glass clean and streak free. Clay bar has a tendency to stick and I won't like it doing so even after using a lubricant.
You said glass is never to be clayed or waxed. That's wrong information, hence my post
If the clay bar sticks, use more lubrication. I suggest you try the clay bar on the windshield - you ll be surprised!
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:38   #5595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Just use plenty of lube when claying glass, its entirely safe to use. Will reduce judder of wiper blades on the windshield too. paint overspray, tree sap etc can be easily removed.

The same clay used for body can be used too.
This advice comes straight from UD, then I did definitely try it out on my next detailing session on my car.

Quote:
So your car is parked in the open, and it gets a full layer of dust on it. Or, you drive it around soon after waxing, and it gets dust. How do you remove it? That is what I was referring to by "maintenance".

Also, aren't there bird dropping removers and tree sap removers?
The car is parked in covered parking, but the bldg is open on three sides, nothing there whatsoever, which contributes to the dust.

Maintenance Techniques:
1. Once waxed car will get a layer of dust(depending on where you stay), either you did use Jopasu Car Duster to get of it and drive off.
2. Use Jopasu Duster and then quick detail your car. Would hardly take 15-20 mins at most.
3. If car is stationary for many days say 5 days, it would definitely have a thick layer of dust, than just splash some water onto it and shampoo it with any car shampoo and quick detail it.

It difficult to say what technique one should follow, as it varies with the dust condition at ones place and the time you can devote to it. Sometimes my car is quite dirty and I don't wash it and drive off. My parents do say why didn't you wash it before going out, but sometimes it ain't possible to devote that much time to everything.
As I stated earlier, I shampoo+quick detail it twice a week and that keeps it shinny and dust free. When I did wax it in June'12 than I will surely have a change of technique to see to that will regular car shampoo I don't strip it off its wax.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks