Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2012, 14:48   #5671
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
Was driving the car from the workshop last evening when it rained. Took some pictures of the car today. Haven't washed it yet, but the damage looks extensive.
I did get a heart attack if my beloved Pearl Black Vento ends up with something like this. Sudden rain coupled with hot sun, recipe for water marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
Can you tell me where I can obtain these compounds from? The closest Meguias office is in Delhi and they don't have any of these in stock. Do you know of anyone in Bangalore who can send these to Kanpur by courier?

Where do you get these items from?
Vivek wash the car with a car shampoo and dry it with a microfiber towel. That should help and still those water marks remain, use the Megs ScratchX 2.0 which you purchased recently with a foam applicator pad with 50% overlap. Wipe off the surface with a clean microfiber towel. Should do the trick, no need for procuring more products. Hope it helps.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 16:11   #5672
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Darthvader,

Asl El Lobo has pointed out, Scratch X should also do the same job, follow the same method.

After compounding, protect the surface with a good wax like Collinite 845 or a sealant like Mothers Reflections, Synwax, Megs Tech wax etc. it will help to prevent such reoccurences to a great extent !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 18:14   #5673
Distinguished - BHPian

I received my order from Paintscratch.com today. It took only eight days, in the post, from USA to my door.

There are two touch-up "pens" --- which look just like magic markers with fibre tips. One is colour, one is clear-coat.

There is a selection of small wet-and-dry sandpapers, from 400 to 1000 grit (could have got locally, I'm sure, but I wanted to see what they supplied so that, in future, I can know I am getting the right thing.

There is a pouch of cutting cream ("Presta") for restoring gloss to the sanded areas.

For some reason, they cannot ship automotive lacquer thinner internationally. It's optional, but good for pre-cleaning, and recommended to have to hand to wipe away beginner's disasters.

All this is rather expensive...
Quote:
1 1/2 oz. Basecoat Paint Pen @14.95 $14.95
1 1/2 oz. Clearcoat Paint Pen @7.59 $7.59
1 2 oz. Rubbing Compound @3.75 $3.75
1 Sandpaper Pack @2.88 $2.88
-------------------------------------------------------------
International Charge: $9.95
Handling: $6.95
-------------------------------------------------------------
Total Order: $46.07
...but the paint is supplied according to the car manufacturer's colour code, and should be an exact match.

I'll give this a try in a week or two. I think there are probably more appropriate scratch-repair threads for my report.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 01:37   #5674
BHPian

For my XUV

Even my wife does not have so many cosmetic products
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20120409-00.52.03.jpg  

dockap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 08:51   #5675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Vivek wash the car with a car shampoo and dry it with a microfiber towel. That should help and still those water marks remain, use the Megs ScratchX 2.0 which you purchased recently with a foam applicator pad with 50% overlap. Wipe off the surface with a clean microfiber towel. Should do the trick, no need for procuring more products. Hope it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Hi Darthvader,

Asl El Lobo has pointed out, Scratch X should also do the same job, follow the same method.

After compounding, protect the surface with a good wax like Collinite 845 or a sealant like Mothers Reflections, Synwax, Megs Tech wax etc. it will help to prevent such reoccurences to a great extent !
Thanks. The marks have gone after a generous application of Formula 1 Wax and Wash shampoo, followed by claying, and applications of Scratch X 2.0 (in the affected boot regions only), FK 215, and finally Collinite 845. The water marks can no longer be seen but one can see a few swirly streaks. This time I applied two coats of Collinite 845 as I want to test the claimed water sheeting property (it does seem to work; the boot and the D pillar were the two areas I didn't apply it on last time, as they were to undergo a scrutiny by the body shop).
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-small.jpg  

Old 9th April 2012, 08:53   #5676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I received my order from Paintscratch.com today. It took only eight days, in the post, from USA to my door.

There are two touch-up "pens" --- which look just like magic markers with fibre tips. One is colour, one is clear-coat.

There is a selection of small wet-and-dry sandpapers, from 400 to 1000 grit (could have got locally, I'm sure, but I wanted to see what they supplied so that, in future, I can know I am getting the right thing.

There is a pouch of cutting cream ("Presta") for restoring gloss to the sanded areas.

For some reason, they cannot ship automotive lacquer thinner internationally. It's optional, but good for pre-cleaning, and recommended to have to hand to wipe away beginner's disasters.

All this is rather expensive...
...but the paint is supplied according to the car manufacturer's colour code, and should be an exact match.

I'll give this a try in a week or two. I think there are probably more appropriate scratch-repair threads for my report.
I couldn't find "Caviar Black" in the 2011 Chevy Cruze category. So I have contacted them using the online contact form. The prices seem high, but it is nice to know that there was no problem with customs.
Old 9th April 2012, 23:00   #5677
Senior - BHPian

Dockap : Where did you get the silicone spray from ?
Old 10th April 2012, 00:23   #5678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Dockap : Where did you get the silicone spray from ?
From a local Standox paint shop. Every time i go there i see some really useful polish or spray with him. If you see the image i posted on top of the tin of turtle wax you can see 2 small bottles, they are wax top polish easy to apply and rub off. This polish lasts longer than the 3m or Waxpol liquid polish.
Today i used Meguiars Tech Wax spray on my XUV and the result was pretty good. It gave a wet glossy black finish to the XUV. Below are 3 pics taken with my camera phone which do not do any justice to the actual finish.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20120409-16.16.32.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20120409-16.16.42.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20120409-16.17.03.jpg  

Old 10th April 2012, 08:38   #5679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap
For my XUV

Even my wife does not have so many cosmetic products
What is the use of silicon spray?
Old 10th April 2012, 17:42   #5680
Senior - BHPian

Hey, Cyclo's Silicon Spray is a lubricant & a protectant. It can used to lubricate the various hinges or window channels in the car or simply to protect the electrical connections on your car. More of a multi-purpose product.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What is the use of silicon spray?
Old 10th April 2012, 20:35   #5681
Senior - BHPian

To those members who have a DA polisher/a Rotary machine tool for buffing/paint correcting your vehicle (or) do professional detailing for others, please do check this listing out on TBHP classifieds - #16861 [Link: http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...r-sale/16861/]

Don't want to promote it here, making it amount to selling. But do check the listing and let me know if anyone is interested [can also break down package into smaller offers, if required].

Cheers,
Ajay K

Last edited by k_ajay : 10th April 2012 at 20:37. Reason: Adding listing #
Old 10th April 2012, 20:45   #5682
BHPian

Went down to 3M HSR Layout today and purchased Megs Hot Shine Tire Foam for INR510. They had Megs NXT glass cleaner and Natural Spray Shine as well.
Old 10th April 2012, 20:54   #5683
BHPian

I had recently got '3m finesse-it' marine paste. Can anyone tell me how good it is when compared to other rubbing compounds that would remove swirl marks?
Old 10th April 2012, 22:57   #5684
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know where I can get this silicone spray in Mumbai ? I havent seen any Standox products anywhere
Old 10th April 2012, 23:49   #5685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
I had recently got '3m finesse-it' marine paste...
The word "marine" caught my eye and, as I suspected, this is " for use on gelcoated fiberglass surfaces" ie, boats.

Link to 3m
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed