Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 08:49   #5686
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The word "marine" caught my eye and, as I suspected, this is " for use on gelcoated fiberglass surfaces" ie, boats.

Link to 3m
Thanks Thad. Could it be used to remove swirl marks? it is a fine paste and is similar to mother's scratch remover. I am a bit afraid to use it on the car's painted metal surface. May be I should first try it on lesser visible places like to door sills to check if it evens out/removes scratches.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:49   #5687
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry, no idea at all. GRP+gelcoat are very different materials to steel+paint, but I'm afraid I don't even know how the hardness of gelcoat compares with auto paint.

GRP boats are quite tough!
Old 12th April 2012, 08:19   #5688
BHPian

I'm thinking of washing my Jopasu Microfiber Magic Wipe . Is there anything to take care of whiling washing microfiber cloths? Can i just wash using some detergent and leave it to dry?
Old 12th April 2012, 08:37   #5689
Senior - BHPian

Though the experts could tell you their views, I personally feel that it's best to avoid using any strong detergents like washing powders etc to wash these sort of dusters.

I would suggest using some mild shampoo, if required only. Else you can simply rinse it in water multiple times to get rid of the dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
I'm thinking of washing my Jopasu Microfiber Magic Wipe . Is there anything to take care of whiling washing microfiber cloths? Can i just wash using some detergent and leave it to dry?
Old 12th April 2012, 17:41   #5690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
From a local Standox paint shop.
You mean to say there is a Authorized Standox shop in Mangalore? As far as I know Standox has been taken over by DuPont.
What services has the shop on offer?
Old 12th April 2012, 19:11   #5691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
You mean to say there is a Authorized Standox shop in Mangalore? As far as I know Standox has been taken over by DuPont.
What services has the shop on offer?
They just sells paints and related stuff. The shop has racks of paint tins which can vibrate to keep the paint liquid i guess and they also have books with paint formulas for different vehicle colours classified according to vehicle manufacturer like Maruti, Hyundai etc.
Old 12th April 2012, 19:54   #5692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Washing with powder detergents will kill the microfiber for sure. Use only a good quality liquid detergent like Amway SA8 to clean. Inspect thoroughly for trapped dirt and grit.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 07:50   #5693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Washing with powder detergents will kill the microfiber for sure. Use only a good quality liquid detergent like Amway SA8 to clean. Inspect thoroughly for trapped dirt and grit.
You can use Ezee (I don't know how it is spelt) to wash microfiber cloth. I have tried this two times, with no problems.

By the way, I want to point out that I have been using Optimum Opti Clean (not ONR) ordered from Carpolish.in for about a week now, to clean my black Cruze. You can use it to clean the body, mirrors and glass, as well as chrome. A very small amount of the product is required, and a good microfiber towel will do the rest.

Opti Clean is especially good for bird droppings, and tree sap deposits. Tree sap deposits tend to move or dissolve if you use a damp cloth. Spray a small amount of Opti Clean on these deposits, and wait for a couple of minutes. The residue will soften up, and you can use a microfiber towel to pluck it out (don't wipe it over if it seems like a sizable hard residue to begin with).

The only problem is that the spray has to be used carefully, as it tends to discharge more than you need, and for everyday use this can be a rather expensive proposition.

Question: The monograms on the boot have a lot of dust and polish (white residue, from the workshop) deposits. What is the best way to clean them without damaging them (i.e. causing one or more of the letters, to fall off )?

Last edited by darthvader : 14th April 2012 at 08:05.
Old 14th April 2012, 08:45   #5694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
Question: The monograms on the boot have a lot of dust and polish (white residue, from the workshop) deposits. What is the best way to clean them without damaging them (i.e. causing one or more of the letters, to fall off )?
use pressure wash (garden spray) highly focused on the monogram. Else use soap water in a spray can and then rub it off using microfiber cloth. But make sure you dont rub using dry cloth as it will surely scratch the surface.
MutantX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 08:58   #5695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
use pressure wash (garden spray) highly focused on the monogram. Else use soap water in a spray can and then rub it off using microfiber cloth. But make sure you dont rub using dry cloth as it will surely scratch the surface.
Won't that cause water to get deposited in the areas where the adhesive is? I tried what you said, using this hose which I got off Ebay recently: MULTIFUNCTIONAL WATER 4 FUNCTIONAL SPRAY GUN+10 M HOSE | eBay. It didn't help :(
Old 14th April 2012, 10:21   #5696
BHPian

Currently Auto Mall does not have stock for ONR. My bottle has 2 oz. left. Can anyone suggest any alternate place i can get ONR in Bangalore or order online. Left a note to Sanjay (BBImpex), but i dont think he stocks ONR.
Old 14th April 2012, 10:39   #5697
BHPian

Quote:
Won't that cause water to get deposited in the areas where the adhesive is? I tried what you said, using this hose which I got off Ebay recently: MULTIFUNCTIONAL WATER 4 FUNCTIONAL SPRAY GUN+10 M HOSE | eBay. It didn't help :(
Steps to be followed:

Spray high/medium pressure water on the emblem
Use ear buds/tooth brush (super soft type) to remove the dust
pressure wash it once again
use microfiber to remove the excess dirt
use a good metal polish with very little quantity to polish the metal surface

I works for me, but it emblem gets dirty very soon
Old 14th April 2012, 12:28   #5698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Currently Auto Mall does not have stock for ONR. My bottle has 2 oz. left. Can anyone suggest any alternate place i can get ONR in Bangalore or order online. Left a note to Sanjay (BBImpex), but i dont think he stocks ONR.
EBay India (optimum no rinse | eBay) seems to be the only place you can get it, but I wouldn't suggest it because it costs about 5 times as much, and it would take 3-4 weeks to reach you. In that time, perhaps Auto Mall will have it in stock.

They don't have Opti Clean in stock either (see my post above), but you can get Optimum Opti Clean for Rs. 560 (Rs. 100 more than Auto Mall) from Ebay India (Optimum Opti Clean - 18oz (512g) | eBay), for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Steps to be followed:

Spray high/medium pressure water on the emblem
Use ear buds/tooth brush (super soft type) to remove the dust
pressure wash it once again
use microfiber to remove the excess dirt
use a good metal polish with very little quantity to polish the metal surface

I works for me, but it emblem gets dirty very soon
Can you suggest a 'good metal polish'?
Old 14th April 2012, 13:22   #5699
BHPian

Quote:
Can you suggest a 'good metal polish'?
you could try mother's metal polish - it is liquidy and makes you batches shine. Cheaper options are using Brasso which will makes them shine.
Old 14th April 2012, 13:41   #5700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Even I'm looking for a replacement/alternative for ONR as I too have just 2 oz left from my 8 oz ONR bottle. If you do find an alternative or a place to source ONR let us know too.

Quote:
You could use a kids toothbrush which has very soft bristles and a car shampoo(Amway) diluted in a spray bottle to clean the wax residue and dirt & grime around the monograms. Later wipe it off with a clean microfiber towel. This is what most car detailers actually do, I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks