Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2012, 15:48   #6286
BHPian

Don't know if this is the right thread to ask this question, but has anyone in Mumbai used the services of car spa? Found this deal on crazeal offering exterior and interior cleaning for 599. Wondering if it was worth trying out.

The coupon purchase will be valid till 19th of dec

http://www.crazeal.com/deals/mumbai/...1_0_0_267&a=22
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:00   #6287
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Oh...I forgot to post the link of these LC CCS pads. or these LC Kompressor pad are better? Price for both 6-pack is same about $49.Will buy from autogeek only.
I've no experience with these, so will leave it to the experts.

Quote:
Budget is neither tight (for Griot) or high enough for Flex DA polisher.
What I meant was, between the Megs, Porter Cable and Griots, i'd pick the Griots DA purely for the lifetime warranty reason. Only problem is, DA might have to be shipped to US for warranty claims.

Just out of curiosity, can you put down how you'll convert 220V mains to 110 for DA? How much did the step-down transformer set you back by ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 23rd September 2012 at 17:05.
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:06   #6288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Just out of curiosity, can you put down how you'll convert 220V mains to 110 for DA? How much did the step-down transformer set you back by ?
Without all those fancy voltage dials etc I just need to pay 1500 bucks for about 1500W transformer.The guys seems to be knowledgeable and honest too.
Last year he made automatic one for my LED TV and BDP which is working fine so far.

BTW Meguiar's and PC are more reputed than Griot's but I may go for Meguiar's because PC seems to cause lot of vibrations acc. to reviews.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 23rd September 2012 at 17:08.
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:24   #6289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Without all those fancy voltage dials etc I just need to pay 1500 bucks for about 1500W transformer.The guys seems to be knowledgeable and honest too.
Last year he made automatic one for my LED TV and BDP which is working fine so far.

BTW Meguiar's and PC are more reputed than Griot's but I may go for Meguiar's because PC seems to cause lot of vibrations acc. to reviews.
So the total cost is approx 12k+ right ? (Megs DA-140 LC Pads-50(shipping not included) convert at 55,~10500 add cost of transformer 1500. Why not buy Megs 220V from India @14k and may be get warranty ? It comes with 2 pads, compound and polish too. Atleast this was the offer back in July when i checked.

The only reason i'm suggesting buying locally is because your almost sure to buy Megs
Old 23rd September 2012, 19:23   #6290
BHPian

Well...Megs DA $136+6 pads $50 will cost me $186=Rs 10230 but locally Meg DA >Rs 14000+6 pads >Rs 6000(minimum)=>Rs 20000....thats like 50% savings.You were not including those 6 pads in your calculation. But lets not waste precious tbhp server space.

Slightly OT- I have bought from HDD,Graphic card,RAM,Laptop,Car ICE,Canon S5,Rechargeable batteries and chargers,LED TV,BD Player and even Marantz AVR5005 with Jamo HCS605 system (which has been lying there for the last one year.)Everything has worked well so far and I will always be tempted to get the stuff from US especially whenever there is huge price difference.
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:40   #6291
BHPian

Finally went through my first detailing session today. It's a much more difficult to execute than looks in the instructions.

I did the most basic detailing which included washing with a shampoo and waxing with collinite. Lack of a water hose made things difficult. Even with the two bucket method, by the time I went to drying, most the water would dry off. Took me a rather long 2 hrs just to wash the car. Maybe will get faster with time!

Waxing was relatively better. Applied a coat of collinite and let it set for 30 mins then rubbed it off. Again since it was the first time, I did not apply it as thinly and evenly as I would have liked. However, satisfied with the outcome. I hope the shine get better with every fresh application.

One query, even when buffing after the wax dried off, the mf pad was getting dirty. Is this normal or is it that dust settled on the car during the 30 mins it was setting in?

I also noticed a lot of black spots all over, especially the front bumper and driver side doors. I guess these are tar marks. The shampoo or wax or ONR quick detailed couldn't get rid of them. What can? Clay bar?

Some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image3240701411.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image1366498657.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image3096288540.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image2530868509.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2012, 22:32   #6292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Finally went through my first detailing session today. It's a much more difficult to execute than looks in the instructions.

I did the most basic detailing which included washing with a shampoo and waxing with collinite. Lack of a water hose made things difficult. Even with the two bucket method, by the time I went to drying, most the water would dry off. Took me a rather long 2 hrs just to wash the car. Maybe will get faster with time!
One query, even when buffing after the wax dried off, the mf pad was getting dirty. Is this normal or is it that dust settled on the car during the 30 mins it was setting in?

I also noticed a lot of black spots all over, especially the front bumper and driver side doors. I guess these are tar marks. The shampoo or wax or ONR quick detailed couldn't get rid of them. What can? Clay bar?

Some pics:
Congrats on your first detailing session! Impressive results.

For the tar spots i've found WD-40 works best. You can try it before using a clay bar.
The next time-wash,dry,wax one section at a time and move onto the rest of the car.

Hope it helps

Last edited by shashank.nk : 23rd September 2012 at 22:33.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:43   #6293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Congrats on your first detailing session! Impressive results.

For the tar spots i've found WD-40 works best. You can try it before using a clay bar.
The next time-wash,dry,wax one section at a time and move onto the rest of the car.

Hope it helps
will try that. one panel at a time. But do you also also suggest waxing one panel before finishing washing the complete car?

Also, is WD-40 safe to use on the paint. I just spray wd40 and wipe off with a mf?
Old 24th September 2012, 00:54   #6294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp

will try that. one panel at a time. But do you also also suggest waxing one panel before finishing washing the complete car?

Also, is WD-40 safe to use on the paint. I just spray wd40 and wipe off with a mf?
May be you could wax at the end,but definitely wash and dry a panel.

I've used WD 40 on all 3 cars at home,no issues so far. Just spray and wipe off gently with a mf
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 15:38   #6295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally went through my first detailing session today. It's a much more difficult to execute than looks in the instructions
Great efforts and result looks promising. To maintain the finish just clean the car with Jopasu duster and QD(Quick Detail) with ONR 1:16(ONR:Water) daily. You wouldn't even require to wash the car so regularly, unless its very dirty

Either wax the car once every month and if not once in two months to maintain the finish.

Quote:
To remove tar spots you need to use clay bar with ONR as clay bar lubricant in 1:64(ONR:Water) ratio. I did be a bit skeptical to using WD-40 constantly as it may cause some harm to paint in long term, IMHO.

In the next detailing session, use clay bar and you did be surprised by the amount of bonded contaminants on the clear coat.

OT: The car parked on the left is a white Honda City and there is a twin parking system i.e. one car above another(hydraulics). How does the car cleaner wash the car parked above daily.
Old 24th September 2012, 16:00   #6296

For tar spots, this is what I do.
Get some diesel from your friendly bunk.

Take cotton cloth and soak a bit and just gently touch all tar sports.
Do it twice with about 4-5 minutes in between.

Afterwards, gently take them out. this works. This is what I do.
Not sure if any bad side effect of it. I have not seen one.
Old 24th September 2012, 16:05   #6297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Great efforts and result looks promising. To maintain the finish just clean the car with Jopasu duster and QD(Quick Detail) with ONR 1:16(ONR:Water) daily. You wouldn't even require to wash the car so regularly, unless its very dirty

Either wax the car once every month and if not once in two months to maintain the finish.

To remove tar spots you need to use clay bar with ONR as clay bar lubricant in 1:64(ONR:Water) ratio. I did be a bit skeptical to using WD-40 constantly as it may cause some harm to paint in long term, IMHO.

In the next detailing session, use clay bar and you did be surprised by the amount of bonded contaminants on the clear coat.

OT: The car parked on the left is a white Honda City and there is a twin parking system i.e. one car above another(hydraulics). How does the car cleaner wash the car parked above daily.
Thats the plan!! Use of ONR daily/alternate days as QD and wax once a month. I am just worried about the mud splashes which will warrant a shampoo/ONR wash more regularly.

I need to get a clay bar for the bonded contaminants. until then, i might use WD40 as a solution to see how effective it is.

I dont think the car cleaners clean those. most of them are quiet dirty. And since we are , these parking systems are alloted to different flats. So every time the guy on the hoist has to take out the car, the other flat owner has to come down Thankfully mine is not a hydraulics one.
Old 24th September 2012, 18:56   #6298
Distinguished - BHPian

WD40 is wonderful for removing sticky stuff. I've reported great success here with both chewing gum and the sticky residue from duct tape. If the tar was sticky, it would help to stop it spreading, but even as a WD40 evangelist I have my doubts that it will dissolve it. Looking forward to the answer on that one!
Old 24th September 2012, 19:39   #6299
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranil7 View Post

DIESEL is used by ignorant people. Just follow the rule. Anything which is good for your face is good for your car. I hope Cranil7 you have tried washing your face with DIESEL, and if you have not faced any issue, then definitely it will not effect your car.
Old 24th September 2012, 19:40   #6300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranil7 View Post

+1. My car had lot of tar marks and black dots( Parked outside during rainy season). Unfortunately i was not able to clean it for 3 weeks. Yesterday i tried diesel and all of them disappeared. Washed the car thoroughly after it. In fact i was able to remove the service center sticker glue. Experts can u tell if any side effect of using diesel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks