Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2014, 23:03   #8926
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Tried several stuff this weekend with another BHPian - Rahul.

Proklear - Xtreme: Rs. 500 for 250 ml. Comes with 2 orange microfibers and a sprayer.

Overall, this is good product if you use your car daily and need a quick wipe-down.
If your car is standing under the tree untouched for several weeks, this product is going to do nothing.

Carpro Reset shampoo: Costs more than Rs. 1200 for 500 ml of bottle. Expensive for sure. Add to it, you need to use 50 ml in 20 lit bucket. I tried around 25 ml in 10 lit and there was hardly any lather. Then I added around 25 ml in 2 lit of water, by first pouring the shampoo and then filling up the water with my sprayer. That resulted in good lather.
The USP is that it preserves the sealant while washing with the shampoo.
However, I don't have a sealant as yet, so it was just a regular shampoo action that I was looking for on my extremely dirty/ stained car.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20141011_081325377_hdr.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20141011_081331713_hdr.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20141011_081318625_hdr.jpg

The stains of the leaves are due to the rains. This car had not been washed for one month.

Now, Carpro Reset maybe good for some other purpose. But for now, it has failed in this attempt.
Then I used ArmorAll shampoo. I found that to be equivalent to the Formula-1 concentrate shampoo in terms of the lather and the effectiveness.

I used ArmorAll Multi-purpose cleaner concentrate to get rid of the stains. It took quite a bit of effort, but in the end the car was almost 95% clean.

Next, it was time to test Sonax's wax and sealant along with Collinite 845.
So, I have applied the three of them on the bonnet. I will post pictures after a few weeks to see how effective/ durable the three are on car parked under the tree and facing direct sunlight.
Old 12th October 2014, 23:10   #8927
BHPian

Tried applying shoe polish on the lower part of the rear bumper (which wasn't looking black) last weekend. It did look good, not sure how long it would last though. Simple, effective, fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvoyeur View Post
Guys, quick suggestion needed - for my black XUV 500, I currently have a SONAX all purpose cleaner (for interiors), an ultima waterless wash concentrate (detailer and waterless wash), micro-fiber clothes and towels.
I want two suggestion:
1. I am ordering a collinite liquid insulator wax #845 from US. Is there any other LSP/ polish I could consider - I am planning to do hand polish only

2. I really want something which I can use on the black plastic bumpers etc. because the quality of plastic from mahindra is not great and it is clear (shining paint vs. the dull plastic)

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Carvoyeur
Old 12th October 2014, 23:25   #8928
BHPian

Vsrk: Instead of UWW, you may try Proklear regular or extreme which costs 300/500 bucks respectively. I am using the 300 rupees one and find it quite effective for everyday use.
It is available on ebay.in and snapdeal.
anuragn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 11:58   #8929
Team-BHP Support

Jopasu has come up with a wash mitt but I can’t seem to find it listed on their website. Since I left my Meguiars wash mitt at home, I’ve ordered one from eBay (Rs. 409; redeemed the Payback points).

Let’s see when it turns up.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 13:39   #8930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Haven't purchased yet. Just doing pre-purchase research . But the detergent dispenser that comes with most machine free of cost can't produce the foaming effect of a foaming lance.
i have bosch aqt 33-10 .It doesnot come with a foam nozzle. i checked with the ebay dealer from whom i bought and he says the accessory will cost 450Rs. when i check online the cost is much higher for foam lance.
Does the 450rs accessory can do the job?(to create snow foam)

how it is different form a lance like below?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Foam-...002798310.html

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th October 2014 at 21:36. Reason: Removed extra tags from url, thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 19:11   #8931
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Jopasu has come up with a wash mitt but I can't seem to find it listed on their website. Since I left my Meguiars wash mitt at home, I've ordered one from eBay (Rs. 409; redeemed the Payback points).

Let's see when it turns up.
Please post your experience here once you use it. Especially on its dirt lifting and lather holding ability
Old 20th October 2014, 16:55   #8932
BHPian

Detailed a BHPian friend's bike over the weekend. His black karizma had completely turned into a matt black color. The paint was totally neglected and no proper care was taken. Unfortunately we forgot to click the before pics of the bike. Result below

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5423.jpg
This is the only picture that shows the faded color of the bike.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5421.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5422.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5424.jpg
Amarendranath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 16:34   #8933
Senior - BHPian

A BHPian has come up with a super-cheap clay bar
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-claying.html
Old 6th November 2014, 08:30   #8934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
I am using STP Tuff Stuf All Purpose Foam Cleaner to clean the seat covers and I found it to be good. Just spray it, brush the area and wipe off with MF cloth.
Can the same be used for leather seats? The site mentions fabric seats only, that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
Recently I tried Luxor Nano Cleaner (Leather Cleaner) and it also does the job well.
Where can I buy it online?
Old 6th November 2014, 10:52   #8935
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been using the Optimum Opti seal for the last 6-7 months on my car and I must say that this is a boon for people who want to protect the car and still not put in a lot of elbow grease. Its a wipe on walk away type and after the first few times that I used this, I dont really have to clay the car before application as there is always a thin coating present.

Its a polymer sealant that creates a nice slick barrier and lasts quiet long be it rain or sunshine. The best part is that I only need to wash the car once in 4-5 weeks and the rest off the time, its just ONR and the Jopasu duster.

The beading is extremely good and even after 4-5 weeks of application, there are hardly any water marks on the car (this in spite of the torrential rains that Bangalore witnessed in mid October). Tried using it on the car windshield and it seems to work very well. Hardly used my wipers as the water just runs off the surface even at sedate speeds of 30 kmph.

Overall another great product from Optimum, which I purchased from Eco Car care for about INR 1,400. After close to 10 applications on my car + others, more than 90% of the bottle still remains.

Will post the pics of car & beading soon

Last edited by procrj : 6th November 2014 at 10:54.
Old 6th November 2014, 13:53   #8936
BHPian

Came across this on a petrol pump on Mumbai-Pune expressway. I am using it as a quick detailer immediately after a wash. The effect lasts for a fortnight and is a good option for days when I am short of time or lazy enough for an elaborate detailing session
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20141012_094018.jpg  

Old 6th November 2014, 13:59   #8937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Can the same be used for leather seats? The site mentions fabric seats only, that's why.
It can be used on vinyl seat covers, at the bottom it is mentioned. "Fabric Carpets Vinyl"

You can also give a try to Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.

Quote:
Where can I buy it online?
I got it from a local departmental store. For your reference the product details are here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCarNi View Post
Came across this on a petrol pump on Mumbai-Pune expressway. I am using it as a quick detailer immediately after a wash. The effect lasts for a fortnight and is a good option for days when I am short of time or lazy enough for an elaborate detailing session
One is a Dashboard Cleaner and another is Glass Cleaner (Foam Based), which one you are using as a quick detailer?

Last edited by SaurabhSaran : 6th November 2014 at 14:05. Reason: adding another post
Old 6th November 2014, 14:18   #8938
BHPian

Let me put a photo from the back side of the cans

1. Dashboard cleaner can be used for rubber, plastic, leather and painted surface
2. The glass cleaner can be used anywhere
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20141106_141013.jpg  

Old 6th November 2014, 14:54   #8939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCarNi View Post
Let me put a photo from the back side of the cans

1. Dashboard cleaner can be used for rubber, plastic, leather and painted surface
2. The glass cleaner can be used anywhere
If you love your car, please dont use such road side products. They can be detrimental on the paint in long run.

There is no product which can be used as a dashboard protect-ant as well as a quick detailer
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 14:59   #8940
Team-BHP Support

Honestly, I would never trust those guys at the petrol pumps/attached food courts waiting to lure customers into buying their own detailing products. Almost all of them are willing to do a demo in a small section of the car; maybe the bumper or rear quarter panel - getting rid of existing scratches and such convincing the owners. Although the changes may be apparent immediately, I am not sure of the long term effects.

Pay for the good quality stuff from reputed manufacturers - Meguiars, Mother's, Scholl, CarPro, Ultima etc.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed