Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2015, 16:58   #9076
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Pardon my ignorance, what is OCW, UPGP/OS?

Could you share more info about Elastrofoam and Proklear TTD? Thanks in advance.
Two weeks back I too was in the same situation. Here goes the details.

OCW - Optimum Car Wax (Pure wax)
OS - Optimum Opti-Seal (Sealant)
UPGP - Ultima Paint Guard Plus (Sealant)

Just google for the reviews and uses of these products.

Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System - An excellent alternative to clay bars. Removes almost all sorts of contamination on the car's surface and makes it smooth like glass.

Proklear TTD - Proklear Tire/Trim/Dashboard Protectant/Polish - Use similar to STP Son of a Gun, but much better ease of application and results.

Optimum products can be purchased from Eco Car Care's FB page, Ultima from detailedcleanindia/Ebay and Proklear too from Ebay. Feel free to ask for any further clarification

Last edited by RiGOD : 11th January 2015 at 17:17. Reason: typo
RiGOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 18:56   #9077
BHPian

I am planning on adding these to my collection.

CarPro 3 Clay Bar Set (Extra Fine, Fine, & Medium) 100g each
Menzerna PP (Power Protect) Ultra Sealant
Optimum Car Wax
Optimum Instant Detailer
CarPro Trix

My process will be:
- wash
- dry
- car pro trix
- wash
- dry
- clay
- wipe with MF cloth
- Menzerna PP Ultra Sealant
- OCW
- and lastly OID

Is it too much. It has been about 8 months since purchase, there are very very minor scratches, and has not been clayed or polished.

Since purchase I have only been washing a waxing with turtle wax and 3M paste wax, with regular dusting with jopasu.

Any input will be great as to how to proceed.

Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 19:15   #9078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
I am planning on adding these to my collection.

CarPro 3 Clay Bar Set (Extra Fine, Fine, & Medium) 100g each
Menzerna PP (Power Protect) Ultra Sealant
Optimum Car Wax
Optimum Instant Detailer
CarPro Trix

My process will be:
- wash
- dry
- car pro trix
- wash
- dry
- clay
- wipe with MF cloth
- Menzerna PP Ultra Sealant
- OCW
- and lastly OID

Is it too much. It has been about 8 months since purchase, there are very very minor scratches, and has not been clayed or polished.

Since purchase I have only been washing a waxing with turtle wax and 3M paste wax, with regular dusting with jopasu.

Any input will be great as to how to proceed.

Thanks
Instead of carpro 3 clay set get Ultima elastrofoam.

The process you have mentioned is perfect. I would suggest you use a glaze to hide those swirls. Then you can apply sealant. Menzerna sealant is good.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 19:31   #9079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I would suggest you use a glaze to hide those swirls.
Any specific glaze/polish you would recommend for minor swirl correction? Can the same be applied by hand? Actually I'm in a similar situation and have minor swirls which I'm intending to correct in my next detailing session. As I don't have a polishing machine, would like to know if there are any products available for that purpose which can be applied by hand.
Old 12th January 2015, 20:03   #9080
BHPian

Quote:
Instead of carpro 3 clay set get Ultima elastrofoam.

The process you have mentioned is perfect. I would suggest you use a glaze to hide those swirls. Then you can apply sealant. Menzerna sealant is good.
How long does the Ultima Elastrofoam last for? And what clay lubricant is used. I have Optimum No Rinse which I plan on using.

And also Menzerna PP Ultra Sealant has mild abrasive (cut 2) action, will it affect the glaze in any way if it is applied first?

P.S. Please do recommend a glaze that will work best with the products I mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the help

Last edited by falconion : 12th January 2015 at 20:10.
Old 12th January 2015, 22:02   #9081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Any specific glaze/polish you would recommend for minor swirl correction? Can the same be applied by hand? Actually I'm in a similar situation and have minor swirls which I'm intending to correct in my next detailing session. As I don't have a polishing machine, would like to know if there are any products available for that purpose which can be applied by hand.
Swirls cannot be removed 100% by hand. Waste of time and energy doing so.

Glaze can be applied by hand.Depending on the color of car you have i would suggest

Poorboys Black Hole(For dark color)
Poorboys White Diamond(For light colors)

They are available on Detailed clean india or eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
How long does the Ultima Elastrofoam last for? And what clay lubricant is used. I have Optimum No Rinse which I plan on using.

And also Menzerna PP Ultra Sealant has mild abrasive (cut 2) action, will it affect the glaze in any way if it is applied first?

P.S. Please do recommend a glaze that will work best with the products I mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the help

Elastrofoam lasts for 15- 20 full size car usage.

Any clay lubricant can be used

Menzerna PP Ultra is a one stepper.Meaning it has filling as well as sealing qualities .Yes it will remove the glaze applied before it. For One Step products, or AIO's as they are commonly called, sealant or wax can be used on top of them for enhanced protection

Glaze is independent of the sealants you choose. Please see the glazes suggested above

Usual TBHP disclaimers apply
Old 14th January 2015, 11:23   #9082
BHPian

I recently purchased Ultima Paint Guard Plus (yet to use it). I currently have Motomax Car Shampoo, but not happy with it. Planning to buy Sonax Gloss Shampoo, but would like to know if this shampoo gives a temporary wax-like layer (gloss) on the surface, which may not be good before applying the UPGP sealant. If this (layer of shine on the surface) is true, please suggest the right shampoo to be used before applying UPGP so that the surface is 100% clean before the sealant application and also if the same shampoo holds good for weekly/fortnightly washes after the UPGP. My car has been maintained pretty clean, so I am skipping claying the car as of now.

Thanks and best regards,
Old 14th January 2015, 11:55   #9083
Senior - BHPian

Ran out of car shampoo and used Dove shampoo to wash. Have to say, it did a great job my imparting a great shine to the car
Old 14th January 2015, 12:17   #9084
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Ran out of car shampoo and used Dove shampoo to wash. Have to say, it did a great job my imparting a great shine to the car
I guess you have done the worst thing to your car mate. Regular hair shampoo or detergent for the case has Hydrogen Peroxide which is one of the additives added to make the element (read hair here) shine which in case of car can do harmful effects to the clear coat.
Old 14th January 2015, 12:26   #9085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Swirls cannot be removed 100% by hand. Waste of time and energy doing so
Saar, I don't know about car, but on a motorcycle, yes, it can be removed close to 100%. But again, it depends upon the how strong the swirls are. I've removed 99% of the swirls from my Yamaha Rx's tank that didn't even have wax coat for over 2.5+ years.

But like you said...(not waste) intense hand workout hehe
Old 14th January 2015, 14:33   #9086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
If this (layer of shine on the surface) is true, please suggest the right shampoo to be used before applying UPGP so that the surface is 100% clean before the sealant application and also if the same shampoo holds good for weekly/fortnightly washes after the UPGP.
Sonax will do fine, but I'll definitely recommend thorough surface preparation (claying) before applying such an effective sealant since the durability will be enhanced considerably if you do so.

Quote:
My car has been maintained pretty clean, so I am skipping claying the car as of now.
Thorouhly wash and dry your car, and then do the 'Plastic Bag Test' on the surface. You'll definitely change your mind after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I've removed 99% of the swirls from my Yamaha Rx's tank that didn't even have wax coat for over 2.5+ years.
And the product used for the purpose?
Old 14th January 2015, 14:42   #9087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarkarthi View Post
I guess you have done the worst thing to your car mate. Regular hair shampoo or detergent for the case has Hydrogen Peroxide which is one of the additives added to make the element (read hair here) shine which in case of car can do harmful effects to the clear coat.
I checked it doesnt contain H2O2 ! Thanks.
Old 14th January 2015, 19:58   #9088
BHPian

Quote:
Layer collinite. Wax should come after sealant. Collinite is more of a sealant than a wax
2 layers of collinite with 8 hours curing time in between and turtle wax after a day or two is better
I am asking a friend to pick up wax from US. Which wax would you advice? My choice was 3m show car paste, I like pinnacle but it's too costly and I am not sure if the premium is right.

I wanted a sealant too before wax but would go with your advice to treat collinite as sealant.
Old 14th January 2015, 21:49   #9089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I recently purchased Ultima Paint Guard Plus (yet to use it). I currently have Motomax Car Shampoo, but not happy with it. Planning to buy Sonax Gloss Shampoo, but would like to know if this shampoo gives a temporary wax-like layer (gloss) on the surface, which may not be good before applying the UPGP sealant. If this (layer of shine on the surface) is true, please suggest the right shampoo to be used before applying UPGP so that the surface is 100% clean before the sealant application and also if the same shampoo holds good for weekly/fortnightly washes after the UPGP. My car has been maintained pretty clean, so I am skipping claying the car as of now.

Thanks and best regards,
Even if your paint is clean, you cannot be sure that the paint is totally decontaminated. Do a baggy test. If it passes then go ahead with sealant.

Yes gloss shampoo will have additives which will impart the gloss after wash. But it should not affect a strong sealant like UPGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Saar, I don't know about car, but on a motorcycle, yes, it can be removed close to 100%. But again, it depends upon the how strong the swirls are. I've removed 99% of the swirls from my Yamaha Rx's tank that didn't even have wax coat for over 2.5+ years.

But like you said...(not waste) intense hand workout hehe
Motorcycle , it is doable. But try that on a car and you will not feel your arm for one week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Sonax will do fine, but I'll definitely recommend thorough surface preparation (claying) before applying such an effective sealant since the durability will be enhanced considerably if you do so.

Thorouhly wash and dry your car, and then do the 'Plastic Bag Test' on the surface. You'll definitely change your mind after that.

And the product used for the purpose?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
I am asking a friend to pick up wax from US. Which wax would you advice? My choice was 3m show car paste, I like pinnacle but it's too costly and I am not sure if the premium is right.

I wanted a sealant too before wax but would go with your advice to treat collinite as sealant.

You get most of the good sealants in India. So no point is getting what you get here from the US.

I would suggest you get this wax

http://www.autogeek.net/son1c-wax-carnaubavore.html

It is an awesome hand crafted wax which will give dazzling reflection, beading as well as protection. This product has rave reviews which you can read up and will truly be a unique wax in your detailing arsenal!
Old 15th January 2015, 06:43   #9090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Motorcycle , it is doable. But try that on a car and you will not feel your arm for one week
Agreed without a doubt; but even on a car, if we try doing like one small section a day or may be starting with the most affected & working on the order of less difficulties (it will take nearly a month), we will be eventually there. Needs lot of patience though. I'm saying this as I've done this.

But certainly not worth owning a DA & compounds just for one time activity, unless one is looking for a business opportunity (which incase is worthy); may be taking it to a detailer will help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks