Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 18:55   #9151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I guess my query got lost in the maze of information in this thread, hence re introducing my query. Can experts comment on this please.
If it's minor scratches then polishing using scratch x in circular motion will remove them. Use a foam applicator. But moderate to heavy scratches cannot be removed by hand. You need aggressive compound plus a correct pad plus a rotary or a DA
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 19:30   #9152
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Hey guys,

I am trying to clean up the leather seats and door pads of my Linea. Since the seats are quite dirty, I would like to clean them first with some mild cleaner and then proceed with a dedicated leather cleaner/conditioner. Request your inputs on this?

And also looking to buy some MF cloth in bulk. Terribly confused on brands and weaves. Any help and specific places to buy from would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 5th February 2015, 20:36   #9153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Hey guys,

I am trying to clean up the leather seats and door pads of my Linea. Since the seats are quite dirty, I would like to clean them first with some mild cleaner and then proceed with a dedicated leather cleaner/conditioner. Request your inputs on this?

Thanks!
For leather I first use max clean foam clean to get rid of all the dirt sticking to the surface with help of a microfiber cloth.
After that I use Meguiar Gold class leather conditioner.
Works pretty well.
After
Old 5th February 2015, 21:45   #9154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I guess my query got lost in the maze of information in this thread, hence re introducing my query. Can experts comment on this please.
I've emptied half a pack of ScratchX on my WagonR & CPR, from that experience...ScratchX is excellent with...
1. Removing paint dullness
2. Removing mild, mild only, swirl marks & scratches only if the paint layer is damaged, but not the base coat

Your method of circular (and sometimes I use to & fro, which again can be corrected with circular motion later) motion is right way, but remember those two points above.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 01:41   #9155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

I use Meguiar's APC diluted on my seats and see how it works :

Unfortunately its available only for Professionals in bigger quantities.

Modern day leathers are all coated so there is no use of using any Leather conditioner on them. Just clean the leather and use them as is.
Old 6th February 2015, 12:49   #9156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

And also looking to buy some MF cloth in bulk. Terribly confused on brands and weaves. Any help and specific places to buy from would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
While I am no expert on leather cleaning, if your car is parked in the sun, you do need some UV protection on all exposed surfaces.
So, this could mean the use of leather conditioners to keep the material soft (prevent it from drying).

The effects of whatever you do are not going to be apparent immediately - they will come only after a year or two. So, if you do not use any protection, the damages will be apparent only after it is too late.

The safest option is to use a damp cloth to clean the seats. If your car is parked in sun, the seat should dry up pretty soon. So mould/ fungus will not be formed. However this could potentially remove the natural oils that are present on the material.

I would be interested to know how you are going to clean the door pads - are they having leather as well? Or just fabric?
Old 6th February 2015, 18:32   #9157
BHPian

Hi fellow BHPians,

Would like to check with you reg. good professional detailers in Hyderabad other than 3M. Bangalore and Chennai have C-quartz treatment facility I believe. Are there any similar ones in Hyderabad? Please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 8th February 2015, 16:07   #9158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Did the yearly detail on the palio!

Process:

Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
Jewel
Wolf's Chemicals Body Wrap coating

Wet sanding the hood, fender and bumper. These were repainted 2 months ago.
Little background for the detail, the painter knew that I cared for paint finish so once he painted the new panels, he got them buffed by some polishing guy somewhere. Although the intention was good, the results were truly horrible:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20141206_131944001.jpg

This was the absolute worst hologramming I've seen ever in my whole life. Sigh no wonder I needed to wet sand to remove these damaged

This is how the panels look now. Please excuse the poor quality video :

Pictures of doors:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20150208_100341001.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20150208_101116001.jpg
Old 9th February 2015, 19:58   #9159
Senior - BHPian

I have advised my cleaner to use the two bucket method.
What cloth should I give him. Is there any particular cloth / sponge that I can purchase online. I would like to use something that will not scratch the car.
Can you point me to some online product that is not too expensive and safe.
Old 9th February 2015, 20:39   #9160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
What cloth should I give him. Is there any particular cloth / sponge that I can purchase online. I would like to use something that will not scratch the car
The only cloth that will not scratch or cause swirl marks is a CLEAN, GOOD microfiber cloth. Anything other than this (even the soft yellow cloth) is certainly prone to cause swirl marks, which again is smaller form of scratches.

Even with 2 bucket method, remove the excessive dust/grime/dirt using water followed by 2 bucket method
Old 10th February 2015, 08:23   #9161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Its normal when trying to correct by hand. Its really very hard to get any correction done when working by hand especially on VW/Skoda and Fiat cars which have hard paints. I'd suggest stop wasting time and money in buying products to remove swirls by hand. Its time consuming,energy draining and in the end simply not worth it.
I have resigned to the fact that I cannot remove the scratches using the Meg product by hand after two attempts. I will have to approach a good detailer to get the scratches removed. Thanks to all who responded to my query earlier.
Old 10th February 2015, 08:36   #9162
Team-BHP Support

Thanks everyone

I had forgotten that my car needed touch up as well. Reason

After this, I plan to go to a detailer and get the car done up there. And then, plan to apply Cermaic Quartz coating to reduce swirls.

Is this the right way?

Mahindra has approved detailer which uses products by Liqui Moly, is it good? And the words they utter is, teflon though am yet to speak with the guy who is their senior.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th February 2015 at 08:45.
Old 10th February 2015, 09:10   #9163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
After this, I plan to go to a detailer and get the car done up there. And then, plan to apply Cermaic Quartz coating to reduce swirls.
Cquartz coating does not reduce swirls. Detailers remove swirl marks using compounds, polishes and finally apply the coating to protect them. Go ahead with the Cquartz treatment after the paint correction. I have seen lots of good reviews about it.

Quote:
Mahindra has approved detailer which uses products by Liqui Moly, is it good? And the words they utter is, teflon though am yet to speak with the guy who is their senior.
I would stay away from the so called detailing packages by authorised service centers. They don't follow the exact paint correction steps. It's better to get it done by a professional detailer.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 10th February 2015 at 09:12.
Old 10th February 2015, 09:14   #9164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Go ahead with the Cquartz treatment after the paint correction. I have seen lots of good reviews about it.
Yes, after paint correction & detailing.

Quote:
I would stay away from the so called detailing packages by authorised service centers. They don't follow the exact paint correction steps. It's better to get it done by a professional detailer.
Err, it wasn't really chargeable for me, so...
Old 10th February 2015, 09:26   #9165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Err, it wasn't really chargeable for me, so...
Ok , but please ensure that they follow proper detailing steps. Applying coating without proper paint preparation steps may not hold for long. Preparing the surface before coating is very important.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 10th February 2015 at 09:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks