Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 18:28   #9526
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Picking up a new car this Saturday and checked with a local detailer about options.
One of them was ceramic polishing at a cost of Rs11K. Detailer says keeps mirror finish for 2 years or more.
Has anyone applied this type of finish? Is it worth the money (colour of car is dark grey).
Nothing called ceramic polishing - only ceramic coating.
Prices shall vary for the actual product used and skill of the detailer.
Realistically speaking, in Indian conditions, if something lasts for a year it's huge. Ask the detailer about warranty and free touch ups. Also ask about the product he intends to use.
Old 9th December 2015, 19:37   #9527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Realistically speaking, in Indian conditions, if something lasts for a year it's huge. Ask the detailer about warranty and free touch ups. Also ask about the product he intends to use.
Thanks, I meant ceramic coating.
I have asked for a demo before deciding whether to go ahead or not. I think the detailer will be using products from a company called 'Nanolex'. Any feedback on the brand?
Any other points I should look out for or ask?
Old 9th December 2015, 20:39   #9528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Completely agree. In indian conditions anything more than 9 months is a big bonus. I got my lot of Sonax Ceramic polish used by Finnish autodetailers on Mercs and BMWs which lasts them 1-2 winters at max. I applied on my fortuner and it lasts 9 months in Pune conditions .
I will be using the third bottle now soon.

For more details search for my posts on Sonax Nano and it costed me 2.5kper 50ml spray three years back when i got the lot of 3

@11K is huge amount and i have my doubts already, try ultimate detailers shop they have something called cquartz, which is good too.

Cheers

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 9th December 2015 at 20:41.
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 10:12   #9529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I think the detailer will be using products from a company called 'Nanolex'.
Any other points I should look out for or ask?
Hmm, i must have guessed. This product has been around for sometime. Nano technology is used here. We all know ceramics, but these are powdered into nano particles and combined with glaze sealants to form a sustainable hard coating topped with SG. While theoretically it works, thinking as an engineer, i was of the opinion that after few months of first application, if i run my hand over the body of my car, would find certain discordant patches.
imagine you have applied nail polish. After a few days of handwash etc, some portions would chip off while others would stick on. reason being, material science of ceramics are that way. They are used in pylons and after few weather cycles, we can observe this trend on them.
So, i choose to stay away from this. I would still vote for a good SG as mentioned in my previous posts.
FuelInjector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 10:44   #9530
BHPian

OK Guys , i do not know if this has been discussed earlier, but i want to know the best way to maintain the body cladding on the Creta. This is the portion i am talking about

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc04151.jpg

Now i use the following for the rest of the car
  • 3M Car wash shampoo.
  • Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax spray polish for all the metal portion.
  • 3M Dash board polish.
  • 3M Tyre detailer.

Which one of this is best for outside cladding. Found the wax spray giving it nice and wet look but i do hope it does not harm in long run
Old 10th December 2015, 13:14   #9531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
OK Guys , i do not know if this has been discussed earlier, but i want to know the best way to maintain the body cladding on the Creta. This is the portion i am talking about

Attachment 1448799

Now i use the following for the rest of the car
  • 3M Car wash shampoo.
  • Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax spray polish for all the metal portion.
  • 3M Dash board polish.
  • 3M Tyre detailer.

Which one of this is best for outside cladding. Found the wax spray giving it nice and wet look but i do hope it does not harm in long run
use a good quality trim sealant. I use PERL for the same. I have heard gtechniq C4 is better.
Old 10th December 2015, 23:24   #9532
BHPian

Hello all,
Planning to wax my car soon. It's a 2004 Maruti Suzuki Alto and the car has never have been treated with wax till now. I consulted few people and everyone suggested me to get the paste wax rather than the liquid one. I've been surfing online shopping sites lately in search for waxing products. Shortlisted two products, Turtle Wax and 3m. Which one will be better within these two? Experts please help.

Regards,
Swapnil
Old 11th December 2015, 22:36   #9533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto View Post
Hello all,
Planning to wax my car soon. It's a 2004 Maruti Suzuki Alto and the car has never have been treated with wax till now. I consulted few people and everyone suggested me to get the paste wax rather than the liquid one. I've been surfing online shopping sites lately in search for waxing products. Shortlisted two products, Turtle Wax and 3m. Which one will be better within these two? Experts please help.

Regards,
Swapnil
If nothing has been done in the past 11 years, may I suggest a light compounding to cut the oxidation, followed by a polish and finally a nice wax sealant?
Old 12th December 2015, 20:28   #9534
BHPian

Hey guys, has anyone seen the ads for always dry? Any ideas on what this is and if it really works. If someone has got it done, would be very interested in seeing the results.
Old 12th December 2015, 22:23   #9535
BHPian

Quote:
If nothing has been done in the past 11 years, may I suggest a light compounding to cut the oxidation, followed by a polish and finally a nice wax sealant?
The car has been going for periodic servicings to the ASS since the last 11 years. Regular polish has been applied every time after washing the car. I guess compounding will need expert hands and I've no idea where to do it in Ranchi. Can this be done by me?
Old 12th December 2015, 22:35   #9536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto View Post

The car has been going for periodic servicings to the ASS since the last 11 years. Regular polish has been applied every time after washing the car. I guess compounding will need expert hands and I've no idea where to do it in Ranchi. Can this be done by me?
Can you post pictures? A picture of the worst area in your opinion on the car would be helpful to guage the paint condition.
Old 12th December 2015, 23:14   #9537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Can you post pictures? A picture of the worst area in your opinion on the car would be helpful to guage the paint condition.
The paint condition is perfect as of now. No sign of rust or paint chipping anywhere *touchwood*. As the car is turning old, I was planning to wax the car for paint protection and shine. There is no problem with the paint anywhere.
Old 13th December 2015, 13:01   #9538
BHPian

I'm at a bit of a loss as to where post this question, sorry if it is misplaced!

The dashboard of the Manza used to have an idol on top of it. Now, after the idol was removed, it left this super solidified glue (something like Araldite) that's not coming off with hot water or soap. As of now it looks downright ugly. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

I'll try posting a photo (I'm on the team-bhp app):
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-imageuploadedbyteambhp1449991852.979842.jpg

Thanks!
Old 13th December 2015, 14:51   #9539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
As of now it looks downright ugly. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?
Try rubbing it with solvents such as acetone or ethyl acetate (nail polish remover). I had faced a similar issue in my Rapid after removing the tablet mount suction plate which left a layer of super glue. I blew hot air over the area with a hair dryer and then rubbed with acetone. It took some time but did the trick finally.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 15:29   #9540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
While theoretically it works, thinking as an engineer, i was of the opinion that after few months of first application, if i run my hand over the body of my car, would find certain discordant patches.
Have been reading up a little on this and my understanding is that they typically apply multiple coats over time periods and it takes anywhere between 30-60 days for each coat to dry and for the protective layer. If this is the case, even if some specific sections were to erode because of various reasons, wouldnt the underlying layer(s) still protect? This is just based on some rudimentary reading and I am planning to talk to ultimate detailers to check how this works in the real world and try to connect with someone who has actually got this done.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed