Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2015, 16:47   #9541
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
I'm at a bit of a loss as to where post this question, sorry if it is misplaced!

The dashboard of the Manza used to have an idol on top of it. Now, after the idol was removed, it left this super solidified glue (something like Araldite) that's not coming off with hot water or soap. As of now it looks downright ugly. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

I'll try posting a photo (I'm on the team-bhp app):
Attachment 1449618

Thanks!
Try Nail polish remover or Goo-gone.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 12:02   #9542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
they typically apply multiple coats over time periods and it takes anywhere between 30-60 days for each coat to dry and for the protective layer. If this is the case, even if some specific sections were to erode because of various reasons, wouldnt the underlying layer(s) still protect?
Remember multiple layers also come with thickness (even if its at micron level). So multiple coats might help but am unsure. Also, one needs to evalute the costs with multiple coats.
Ceramics are solid matter and hence come with some weight (albeit negligible per square feet when its nano particles). but extrapolate that over the whole surface area of a sedan, it gets interesting.
Am not an expert at that field, but my limited theoretical knowledge and extensive googling did not convince me .
If you do try it out, please post your experience.
Old 15th December 2015, 12:12   #9543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
OK Guys , i do not know if this has been discussed earlier, but i want to know the best way to maintain the body cladding on the Creta. This is the portion i am talking about

Now i use the following for the rest of the car

Which one of this is best for outside cladding. Found the wax spray giving it nice and wet look but i do hope it does not harm in long run
You can use vinyl polish. They are not very long lasting. But you can apply every month or so. But you wouldnot need a huge quanitity. One bottle should last for a while. But i saw a Creat where he had done some treatement and looks permanently black. I don't know what he was using.
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 12:46   #9544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Hey guys, has anyone seen the ads for always dry? Any ideas on what this is and if it really works. If someone has got it done, would be very interested in seeing the results.
Anyone got any ideas on this?
Old 17th December 2015, 11:15   #9545
BHPian

Guys, any pointers as to how can we keep the alloy wheels shiny and glossy? Is it advisable to apply Car Polish or Wax to Alloys? Fyi...my alloys are Lenso Raiden in Grey/ Gunmetal finish.
Old 17th December 2015, 15:22   #9546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Guys, any pointers as to how can we keep the alloy wheels shiny and glossy? Is it advisable to apply Car Polish or Wax to Alloys? Fyi...my alloys are Lenso Raiden in Grey/ Gunmetal finish.
you cannot use paint wax on alloys. Alloys have different thermal rate of expansion and there are some other reasons. There are special waxes for alloys.
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:59   #9547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
you cannot use paint wax on alloys. Alloys have different thermal rate of expansion and there are some other reasons. There are special waxes for alloys.
Actually I don't think there is much difference Kutlee. You can use same polish that we use for paint on our alloys too. We just need a layer to slip dust and mud off, which any nominal wax can do.

I agree alloy expansion is different, but that should not hamper the layer given the situation we drive in relatively dormant environment in cities unlike hot desert like condition of middle eastern nations. I have used Collinite and fake 3M wax (don't ask, long shameful story) randomly on my alloys and they hold for atleast 3 pressure washes. I dont see any specific reason why we should invest on one more wax which in all sense is there to be washed away.

Only thing that will matter is the care taken when applying to make sure spillage does not happen on the discs.
Old 23rd December 2015, 15:27   #9548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Just FYI: Dodo supernatural is available. I don't know how good/ bad it is.
So, an update. After using Dodo Juice Supernatural (obtained from Huten) for last three months, I can say this thing is good.

My cars are cleaned after 2-3 weeks at a stretch and they remain unused - parked under the tree during this time.

I have not been able to test the capability of this shampoo with respect to preservation of the sealant/ wax - which by the way was last applied several months ago and long gone.

But I can say for sure that just a small quantity is enough for one car and the stain removing capabilities are very good.

In contrast, I was completely disappointed with Carpro Reset - which simply surrendered in front of the stains caused by Neem leaves after they dry off stuck on the car.
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:29   #9549
BHPian

I was just reading about the normal 3M paint sealant for new cars as well as opti coat ceramic guard. I am expecting delivery of my car in a few days, any ideas which one would be better? Exppress car wash here in Gurgaon have opti coat ceramic guard. Would that be a better bet than 3M?
Replies would be appreciated.
Old 24th December 2015, 00:30   #9550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
I was just reading about the normal 3M paint sealant for new cars as well as opti coat ceramic guard. I am expecting delivery of my car in a few days, any ideas which one would be better? Exppress car wash here in Gurgaon have opti coat ceramic guard. Would that be a better bet than 3M?
Replies would be appreciated.
The 3m paint sealant is not very effective. It would barely last for 2 months as ive seen.
Old 24th December 2015, 10:27   #9551
BHPian

Posting a quick review on a product i bought and used:
Product: 3M dashboard dresser
Cost: got from Amazon for Rs 145 (some discount was going on and hence thought of checking out the product).
The product by itself is a hydrocarbon with scented compounds. It oozes out as a viscous pink liquid. Applied it on a "clean & shine" dry cloth and then rubbed it in circles on the dash, central console, door trim and steering (yeah - wanted to see where all it can be used). was a little ambitious and tried it on the a pillar plastics and rearview mirror.
The product does return the shine of the dashboard. It leave behind a sticky surface that would attract more dust. Applying on steering was a blunder as it made my grip slip. Applying on RVM was stupid, as it gave a cloudy appearance. The same goes onto the instrument cluster (speedo and fuel dial). Per my experience - DO NOT apply it on reflective or transparent surfaces.
On the whole, i would suggest people to use a thin layer of vaseline as a cheap alternative, unless your family likes the faint strawberry aroma it leave behind (my children loved that!).
Was also experimental and tried it a little on the AC/vents. Recommended dosage would be to reapply (after cleaning the dash) every week.
Old 24th December 2015, 12:05   #9552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Posting a quick review on a product i bought and used:
Product: 3M dashboard dresser
Cost: got from Amazon for Rs 145 (some discount was going on and hence thought of checking out the product).
The product by itself is a hydrocarbon with scented compounds. It oozes out as a viscous pink liquid. Applied it on a "clean & shine" dry cloth and then rubbed it in circles on the dash, central console, door trim and steering (yeah - wanted to see where all it can be used). was a little ambitious and tried it on the a pillar plastics and rearview mirror.
The product does return the shine of the dashboard. It leave behind a sticky surface that would attract more dust. Applying on steering was a blunder as it made my grip slip. Applying on RVM was stupid, as it gave a cloudy appearance. The same goes onto the instrument cluster (speedo and fuel dial). Per my experience - DO NOT apply it on reflective or transparent surfaces.
On the whole, i would suggest people to use a thin layer of vaseline as a cheap alternative, unless your family likes the faint strawberry aroma it leave behind (my children loved that!).
Was also experimental and tried it a little on the AC/vents. Recommended dosage would be to reapply (after cleaning the dash) every week.
I have also used this 3M product. Not at all satisfactory.
Though there would be many better products out there in the market, but the one I was very happy using was Formula 1 Dashboard dresser.
Old 28th December 2015, 14:24   #9553
BHPian

Probably a basic question but here it is nonetheless
Does anyone use a rotary buffer for wax application and removal?

I understand that buffing by hand is the best way to do it but I find the whole task too tiresome and never really get around to doing it (Twice in the last ten years)
I tried looking for good quality random orbital buffers online but couldn't find any
OTOH, rotary buffers (like skil 9080) are readily available

I understand that rotary buffers , if improperly used can damage paint - However, would like to hear first hand from a rotary buffer user how well they fare at applying and subsequently buffing wax
Old 28th December 2015, 16:05   #9554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
I understand that buffing by hand is the best way to do it but I find the whole task too tiresome and never really get around to doing it (Twice in the last ten years)
As holmes would say - "it is elementary Dr. Watson, that cleaning and polishing a car is indeed tiresome"
But its worth every sweat when you look at the machine after the work is done.
Back to the subject: have not used rotary devices on my machine. Best preferred is old hanes vests washed with a fabric softener (eg. Comfort). One vest can be cut into 4 pieces and can last 2 polishing cycles. Rub them in circles, make your car look patchy white. Then use another cut-vest piece to rub it off in circles.
Old 28th December 2015, 16:10   #9555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
All trapped hydrocarbons from solvents are harmful especially inside a car. It will recirculate and imbibe in us who keep inhaling it. I will suggest to keep it away from children. Simple cleaning of mats weekly and interior shampooing (2 months) will help your interior smelling good. I have seen people getting nauseated due to these chemical fumes in cars. And I have stopped using all strong / pleasant smelling products in car so much so that people are surprised to see my car has no air fresher but a air purifier supplementing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks