Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2016, 00:03   #9811
BHPian

Re: How to remove the scratch mark from my polo GT TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think it would be fine. No metal is exposed to rusting, and it is a very short time.

My sympathy for the injury to your beautiful car.
Thank you so much sir.

The scratch is really small. But we car enthusiasts end up looking at it only.

Now I am a bit relaxed. The dealership will take care of it. Time to enjoy the 1.2 TSI engine.

Regards

Saubhik
DrivingNirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 12:48   #9812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingNirvana View Post
Thank you so much sir.

The scratch is really small. But we car enthusiasts end up looking at it only.

Now I am a bit relaxed. The dealership will take care of it. Time to enjoy the 1.2 TSI engine.

Regards

Saubhik
First you need to check whether the scratch is superficial i.e. only on the clear coat or it has taken up the base coat as well. If it is only on the clear coat, you can use a rubbing compound to get rid of it.
If it is deep through the base coat, you need to repaint it. I see the scratch is extending to the bumper so you will need to re-paint both the fender and bumper.
Using a pen is a good option but you have to make sure it matches the exact Flash Red tone. Still a keen eye would make know that it is a touch up, no matter how good the pen and touch-up is.
Old 29th June 2016, 13:10   #9813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
First you need to check whether the scratch is superficial i.e. only on the clear coat or it has taken up the base coat as well. If it is only on the clear coat, you can use a rubbing compound to get rid of it.
If it is deep through the base coat, you need to repaint it. I see the scratch is extending to the bumper so you will need to re-paint both the fender and bumper.
Using a pen is a good option but you have to make sure it matches the exact Flash Red tone. Still a keen eye would make know that it is a touch up, no matter how good the pen and touch-up is.
Thank you sir for your input. I have not used a pen earlier, so I wont risk doing that I guess. I am thinking of getting the thing fixed at the dealer.

Can you give me an idea about how much it would cost for repainting the bumper and fender? I think this is the solution the dealer is going to offer me.

Regards

Saubhik
Old 29th June 2016, 13:23   #9814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you give me an idea about how much it would cost for repainting the bumper and fender? I think this is the solution the dealer is going to offer me.

My sympathies at this awful defacement of your car.

I've been in this situation a couple of times and always chose to get the job done by the dealer. They have the right paint shade and materials to get the job done. And most dealers give a warranty on the job.
Old 29th June 2016, 13:38   #9815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
My sympathies at this awful defacement of your car.

I've been in this situation a couple of times and always chose to get the job done by the dealer. They have the right paint shade and materials to get the job done. And most dealers give a warranty on the job.

Yes sir. I am also getting it done at the dealership. I am having a service due in August 2016. Will get it done then. I only want to know the cost associated.

Regards

Saubhik

Last edited by DrivingNirvana : 29th June 2016 at 13:38. Reason: Typographic error
Old 29th June 2016, 14:00   #9816
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes sir. I am also getting it done at the dealership. I am having a service due in August 2016. Will get it done then. I only want to know the cost associated.
Frankly, it's a bit difficult for anybody on a forum to guess this.

You'll need to get this information from the dealer. It will be available only after their body/paint shop technician(s) assess the extent of the damage, the size of area to be repainted and even the paint colour.
Repainting costs also vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Since the scratch (looks it was done a sharp metal object or even a key) has not penetrated past the primer and exposed the sheet metal you can wait till your service appointment to get this job done.
Old 29th June 2016, 14:38   #9817
BHPian

Quote:

Regards

Saubhik
The dealer shall charge around Rs. 5,000.00 for Re-painting the bumper and Rs. 3500.00 for the fender. Also the quality of finishing is suspected depending on the workmanship of the bodyshop at dealer end; it varies from dealer to dealer.
Old 29th June 2016, 14:51   #9818
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Guys, a very simple question -

which is the best wax to apply for a dark and shiny look ?

(car was already treated with Waxoyl Paint Sealant 7 months ago )
Old 29th June 2016, 15:23   #9819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Guys, a very simple question -

which is the best wax to apply for a dark and shiny look ?

(car was already treated with Waxoyl Paint Sealant 7 months ago )
Whats the color of your car?
Old 29th June 2016, 19:15   #9820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Whats the color of your car?
Ciaz, glistening grey..
Old 29th June 2016, 19:40   #9821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ciaz, glistening grey..
As you are not looking for any correction but are looking for a dark & shiny look - Top up with a glaze (eg poorboy's black hole) that fills in minor scratches and swirls, and then top off with a good wax like meg's 2.0 tech wax (though technically its synthetic) or natty's blue paste wax. Another easy way is to use collinite on top of the glaze.
Old 29th June 2016, 20:09   #9822
BHPian

Quote:
As you are not looking for any correction but are looking for a dark & shiny look - Top up with a glaze (eg poorboy's black hole) that fills in minor scratches and swirls, and then top off with a good wax like meg's 2.0 tech wax (though technically its synthetic) or natty's blue paste wax. Another easy way is to use collinite on top of the glaze.
Tech wax for 1600 is way over my budget :(

Natty is again 1580....

Friend, suggest something cheap! At this cost it would be cheaper if I take the car to 3M and get waxing from there (if they do it)
Old 29th June 2016, 21:06   #9823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tech wax for 1600 is way over my budget :(

Natty is again 1580....

Friend, suggest something cheap! At this cost it would be cheaper if I take the car to 3M and get waxing from there (if they do it)
You won't use the full tub of wax in one go - it would atleast last you 10 times. Cheap carnauba wax is either nonexistent or fake. I would not suggest using formula 1 or turtle wax products. Ans yes I have used them in the past.
Try and get Collinite 845 - it gives you the best bang for your buck.
Old 29th June 2016, 21:14   #9824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If the independent guy that you have seen is dependable and straight, then expect the dealer price to be much higher.

Last year I got a severely dented (but no holes) rear door put back in shape and painted. My only complaint was that they made the door look better than the rest of the car!

I think it might have cost me about 8K, but it was a lot more work than your scratch. Sorry, can't check for you as I lost those papers in the flood.
Old 29th June 2016, 21:42   #9825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would not suggest using formula 1 or turtle wax products. Ans yes I have used them in the past.
I would like to understand why you would not suggest turtle wax products? I have seen similar suggestions in detailing forums, but no one substantiates the reason for the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks