Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2016, 10:50   #9901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
How is your experience with the Chemical guys products? I am interested in their wash mitts, some brushes & shampoo
The products are fantastic and worth every penny. Especially the extreme wash and wax. Does a great job. Though I got them at dirt cheap prices. For brushes, I find them overpriced.
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 11:01   #9902
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Where did you source Optimum Opti Seal from? Its "sold out" on most of the sites i buy from online
Dear Nova, Opti seal is available at this link - https://www.greenzcarcare.com/collec...imum-opti-seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
Hi friends. I have a 1st gen. pearl white i20. I wash my car once a week and my supplies are running out. I am looking for a high gloss car shampoo. Any pointers and links would be of great help.
Thanks.
Dear Akib, a few posts back I mentioned 2-3 shampoos. You can go for any of them. I have personal experience with Meguiars NXT car wash and it is really good. I see a definite shine on my red car post a good wash. Now as I see you wash your car weekly then may like to go for a more value for money product. You can also check Sonax high gloss which is also good and available at more competitive rate.

I've read that washing the car too frequently is also not good until unless it gets too dirty. Like for example I wash my red car on a monthly basis with weekly dose of waterless products like Optimum No rinse (or ONR the green one) - wash and wax. And this really gives a nice shine to my red car. I love this product. On a daily basis I use Jopasu duster and religiously like to cover my car while it is parked.

Disclaimer: No commercial interests in sharing product names or vendors. Please do warn me if I am breaking any guideline.
vikasshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 11:13   #9903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
Hi friends. I have a 1st gen. pearl white i20. I wash my car once a week and my supplies are running out. I am looking for a high gloss car shampoo. Any pointers and links would be of great help.
Thanks.
Worth getting Sonax Gloss Shampoo. Its available on many websites or check out carpowergrid.com for price.
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 23:01   #9904
BHPian

Need some Help!A typical Head vs Heart issue.

Products in question
1.Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Paste
2.Formula One Carnauba Car wax

Head: Don't buy the Tech wax
Heart:But It's a silicone based synthetic wax.
Head:Have you seen the price!?
Heart:It's a Meguiar's Product. You pay For a superior product.
Head:You've been using the Formula one carnauba wax for so many years, You're
(very)happy with the results!
Heart: yeah but the Tech wax is silicone based. Should give a better sheen,better water beading and better overall protection
Head:You can buy 3 Formula one wax boxes for 1 Tech wax!!

My Current Status regarding this situation-

Heres my dilemma.Which is really better? Do i stick with the carnauba wax or go in guns blazing and get the Tech Wax?? IS the Tech Wax really worth the extra money?

Suggestions Please!
Old 21st August 2016, 08:27   #9905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
Heres my dilemma.Which is really better? Do i stick with the carnauba wax or go in guns blazing and get the Tech Wax?? IS the Tech Wax really worth the extra money?

Suggestions Please!
This is exactly my doubt !
And the response I get from learned people here is that you wont find genuine formula wax - lot of cheap fake stuff in market. Second answer you would get it, that 1700rs worth of Tech Wax would last you at least 4 cycles - turns out cheaper

EDIT :

How about this one ?

https://www.greenzcarcare.com/collec...ant=6179875461

Worth buying ? Because it looks super easy to apply and remove.

Last edited by ptaneja : 21st August 2016 at 08:35.
Old 21st August 2016, 08:48   #9906
BHPian

Guys, a question !

If I buy both Optimum Opti-Seal and Optimum Car Wax, which needs to be applied first ?

Or maybe applying both is an overkill, and one would do ?

https://www.greenzcarcare.com/collec...nt=10334071301

Old 21st August 2016, 12:59   #9907
BHPian

Unable to edit the last post, maybe mods can merge both.

In continuation of above message,any feedback on following couple of options >

https://www.carpowergrid.com/sonax-h...loth-exterior/

OR

http://www.amazon.in/Meguiars-Ultima...ywords=meguiar
Old 21st August 2016, 15:32   #9908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
, that 1700rs worth of Tech Wax would last you at least 4 cycles - turns out cheaper
Four sessions with the Tech Wax would leave you with a still-nearly-full tin! Really, a little goes a long way. A very looooooooong way! The easiest mistake is to put too much: the only result is creating harder work buffing it off.

I had a full tin, which had sat unused on the shelf for a long time. It had been in the flood water. I lost far more wax getting rid of the layer of crud that had got into the can than I have used polishing the car twice, and there is still heaps left.
Old 21st August 2016, 16:22   #9909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly my doubt !
Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
Need some Help!A typical Head vs Heart issue.

Do i stick with the carnauba wax or go in guns blazing and get the Tech Wax?? IS the Tech Wax really worth the extra money
F1 wax (if you get the real thing) v/s Meg's Tech Wax? There's no comparison. Trust me, I have a bunch of waxes and Tech Wax is among the top 4.

Synthetic waxes like Meg's Tech Wax, Ultimate wax (and Mothers synthetic) are actually sealants.

You can actually add a layer of Carnauba wax for e.g. Meg's Gold Class Carnauba or my favourite, one of Collinite's products - 845. And if you are willing to spend more and work those arms a coating of 476. I don't want to consider 915 into this mix as it is even more expensive.

But make sure you clay (and even polish) your car before applying!!

A coating of good quality wax last 4-6 weeks in this country after which you need to reapply.

Last edited by R2D2 : 21st August 2016 at 16:23.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 17:54   #9910
BHPian

Quote:
Unable to edit the last post, maybe mods can merge both.

In continuation of above message,any feedback on following couple of options >

https://www.carpowergrid.com/sonax-h...loth-exterior/

OR

http://www.amazon.in/Meguiars-Ultima...ywords=meguiar
I have the ultimate quik wax from megs, and im not impressed with the product. As a sealant perhaps it does a fair job, but i dont get any improvement in the shine per se
Old 21st August 2016, 21:29   #9911
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a good APC? I am looking at Auto Finesse Verso but unsure regarding the dilution and value compared to Amway LOC. I would prefer an all rounder which would work for interior as well.
Old 21st August 2016, 22:07   #9912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
Can anyone suggest a good APC? I am looking at Auto Finesse Verso but unsure regarding the dilution and value compared to Amway LOC. I would prefer an all rounder which would work for interior as well.
You can use verso at 5:1 dilution - I do the same and it works pretty well.
Old 22nd August 2016, 09:29   #9913
BHPian

I have a question on next steps on scratch removal on my Swift dzire. I have accumulated scratch on the car side, due to misjudging a pillar during parking (Picture below).

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20160820_113115.jpg

Wanted to check if this can be cleared with detailing/scratch remover or should i need to go to full painting route? Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 22nd August 2016, 09:43   #9914
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, a question !

If I buy both Optimum Opti-Seal and Optimum Car Wax, which needs to be applied first ?

Or maybe applying both is an overkill, and one would do ?

https://www.greenzcarcare.com/collec...nt=10334071301

Hi Ptaneja, I'll apply Opti-seal as my base because it is a Sealant. I think this product on its own should be good and give you desired result with longevity. I believe Optimum wax can be used for maintenance between two rounds of Opti-seal. Or may be once you go for this combination do try Opti-wax over the sealant and let us know the results

I have not used Opti-seal but used another one from Ultima known as Ultima Paint Guard Plus or UPGP. The product is pretty cool. I used it some time back on hood and fenders. The results were good and it stayed there for atleast 45-50 days. In between I only used Optimum No Rinse - Wash and Wax (ONR). But UPGP is quite costly. It is almost double of Opti-seal for similar quantity.

Sonax product is also good. Though I've never used this product but have seen a video showing comparison between Sonax and other products and there was no difference in shine and water beading. Not sure about longevity.

I would also like to share my experience with all of you from this Sunday when I detailed my red Scorpio. It was way too much work and my whole body is aching as of today . But the best thing is when my wife came back from market and said 'How come the car is shining so much today' really helped me to forget all pain. The process is explained below:

Interior detailing:

1. Used Bergmann Hurricane car vacuum cleaner
2. Collin for internal plastics
3. All purpose Microfibers (260 GSM type)

Exterior detailing:

My idea was not to remove any swirl marks. I still get happy when I see the real molten red of my car. Every thing was done with hands and no machines involved.

1. Rinsing with plain water
2. Used Meguiars NXT shampoo
3. Again rinsed with water and post this sprayed ONR through out
4. Used Meguiars water magnet for drying (is an amazing product)
5. Used Optimum opti clay towel for claying and ONR as clay lube
6. Used Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealnet
7. UPGP applicator pad for step 6. I like this one because it is a big rectangular block that is easy to hold and use.
8. Microfiber 530 GSM for buffing + Meguiars supreme shine for claying
9. Aerospace 303 for plastics and trims
10. 3M glass cleaner

I'll leave pictures for all of you to decide about the end results. But I committed many mistakes in the last step. Like for example I buffed Wolfgang a little early and did not wait for 30-35 minutes as recommended by manufacturer. On some portions where I delayed buffing, the results were better.

My big mistake of the day was to go for complete cleaning [interior + exterior ] in a single day. It was way too much work and still there were many things that were left. Also, the fatigue impacts your last crucial steps like what I reported above.

Another big mistake was to rely on vacuum cleaner for internal cleaning. Though I read mixed reviews about these products on different sites but still went for this purchase during big Amazon sale some days back. The product has 'ok' type suction power and heats up very quickly. Just in 30 minutes it became so hot and fuse went off. I think brushes will be more effective in the long run.

I still lack some tools for proper cleaning.
  1. For example I need a good brush for tyres and sidewalls.
  2. I need a brush for interior areas like AC vents etc
  3. I need a brush to clean front honey comb plastic grills.
  4. A much needed All purpose cleaner (APC) already suggested by blackasta
  5. A tar remover for alloys or may be APC helps here.
  6. Any tool with soft microfiber on one end and a long rod for cleaning the top of the Scorpio. Currently it is a pain in the neck to clean it.
And finally one last word for Wolfgang sealant. This looks like an amazing product as it provided an amazing shine with very little effort and even when I did not follow the right process. I am not sure what magic it can bring with a machine polisher and following manufacturer's recommendations. The only drawback with this one is its price. Currently in Indian market it is sold for close to INR 4000. But I got mine from US gifted by a friend. I'll think twice or thrice before spending this much on buying a single product.

Finally few pics post all work:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-wp_20160821_17_03_31_pro.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-wp_20160821_17_34_01_pro.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-wp_20160821_17_34_22_pro.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-wp_20160821_17_39_13_new.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-wp_20160821_17_34_56_pro.jpg
vikasshu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 09:51   #9915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Wanted to check if this can be cleared with detailing/scratch remover or should i need to go to full painting route? Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
You'll need to take it to a body shop for scraping, a layer of undercoat/putty paint and clearcoat. They may ask you to paint the entire panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
And finally one last word for Wolfgang sealant. This looks like an amazing product as it provided an amazing shine with very little effort and even when I did not follow the right process.
The car looks really good. Great job!

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd August 2016 at 22:09. Reason: Posts merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE/QUOTE+ when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks