Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2016, 20:10   #9931
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Guys,

I was going through Meg's products, and was about to finalize NXT Gen Tech wax, but then came across the following --

Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax Liquid Spray Bottle (430 gm)
Meguiars A2216 Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax
Meguiar's A1616 Quik Wax (473 ml)

(All three from amazon)
So I am all confused again !
Car's color is Metallic Grey - its about a year old, and was done with Waxoyl 100 Plus Paint Sealent when purchased.

What are the differences among the above three products and Nxt Gen Tech Wax ? Which one to go for?
I've used Meguiars Nxt Gen car wash and its pretty good but havent used the wax. Their Gold Class Carnauba Plus wax is awesome.
Old 2nd November 2016, 21:16   #9932
BANNED

Re: How often Claying is required and is Wax needed after Sealant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

If I can skip Clay and Sealant, I am ready to Wax the car every month. Also suggest a VFM but low cost and good result giving Wax for a Start.
I like Optimum Car Wax and will recommend it. The small bottle itself lasts long, with only 1/2 sprays needed per panel. This costs approx Rs450.

I have recently bought Proklear wax too. (Rs300) It is vfm. Results are good enough. Cant comment on the longevity yet. But not bad at all for someone who is willing to apply it every month. The bottle is a huge 500ml.
sinhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:58   #9933
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys.. read the entire thread over last couple of months, but couldn't find a specific answer.

I want to have a mirror like gloss on my Silver car.. someone suggested Optimum Car Wax.. It was good but the results were not upto the mark. Tried thrice.

Can someone help?
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:09   #9934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Hi guys.. read the entire thread over last couple of months, but couldn't find a specific answer.

I want to have a mirror like gloss on my Silver car.. someone suggested Optimum Car Wax.. It was good but the results were not upto the mark. Tried thrice.

Can someone help?
You won't get mirror like gloss just by applying wax. Any wax can only give gloss to certain level and it mainly depends on how clean the surface is. If there are lots of swirls and contaminants, wax alone will not hide it.

You should remove all the contaminants from the surface and abrade it with compounds/polishes to be able to make the wax work for the glossy look.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:26   #9935
Senior - BHPian

I had detailed foam wash, rubbing compound, wash again, polished with Meg Ultimate polish and then waxed..
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:47   #9936
BHPian

Quote:
I had detailed foam wash, rubbing compound, wash again, polished with Meg Ultimate polish and then waxed..
Hi Panky,

I believe you should use a Sealant for a glossy mirror like shine. Waxes bring more warmer shine which is not glossy. Also, waxes are more prone to environmental factors so more frequent applications. Specially for a light coloured car you should go for Klasse High Gloss Sealant. I've heard it has great durability as well.

I also see one critical step missing in your process and that is claying. Without claying proper bonding won't happen and shine won't be there.

Hope this helps.

Regards...Vikas
vikasshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:31   #9937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The above regime is quite strenuous already, so try out the below process only after sometime, maybe when the car gets somewhat dirty.

1. Wash using dishwashing liquid like pril to strip all wax etc from the paint
2. Clay the entire paint (you can even clay glass) or use a clay alternative - nanoskin/opti eraser etc
3. Do you need heavy paint correction? if not, then skip the 'rubbing compound', which most probably is aggressive enough to remove micrometers of paint.
4. use a medium/light/one step polish like fixer/sonus paintwork cleanser/klasse AIO. If you have megs polish use that.
5. use a glaze - if yours is a light colored car, use something like poorboys white diamond
6. use a wax/sealant like optiseal/megs tech 2/collinite/klasse HGS
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 21:29   #9938
Senior - BHPian

About Nano Ceramic Coatings : Nanolex / Opticoat / Max Protect

Hello everyone,

I hope I have posted this in the correct section.

So I have been hearing a lot about this new detailing procedure called Nano Ceramic Coating which is supossidly a hard glass like coating to protect your paint. On doing a bit of research, I have come across 3 brands - Nanolex, Opticoat and Max Protect.

I have spoken to each deatailer using respective brands and all of them obviously have their own version of why their product is the best. I have seen various videos and pictures on YuoTube as well as Facebook and their results are indeed impressive. However, I am confused on which is the right product. Do these products really work or it this another marketing gimmick?

Has anyone here used any of their products on their vehicles?
Old 4th November 2016, 21:42   #9939
BHPian

Re: About Nano Ceramic Coatings : Nanolex / Opticoat / Max Protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post

Has anyone here used any of their products on their vehicles?
The only protection I am running with is Waxoyl 100 Plus sealent.

What is the costing of these products ?
Old 5th November 2016, 12:46   #9940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only protection I am running with is Waxoyl 100 Plus sealent.

What is the costing of these products ?
They cost between 13k to 15k and offer a warranty (against loss of shine) of 2-3 years.
Old 5th November 2016, 13:26   #9941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
They cost between 13k to 15k and offer a warranty (against loss of shine) of 2-3 years.
Would they offer recoating during warranty if a panel is repainted ?

For instance, If I change front bumper, would they put a coat again?

And since you have done the research already, which one is better and preferable ??
Old 5th November 2016, 15:21   #9942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Why should they? It would be no fault of theirs if we need a bumper replaced or repaint a panel because of accident damage.

You could try with your insurer, but I don't have much hope.

Quote:
And since you have done the research already, which one is better and preferable ??
Good question!

I was interested to see a new showroom opened nearby for Ceramic Pro (or was it Pro Ceramic!) but when I googled, the feedback on American detailing sites was that it was overpriced compared to the others and no better.
Old 5th November 2016, 18:09   #9943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As I mentioned in my pervious post; warranty is against loss of shine. So if you are repainting the panel, why do you expect them to recoat it under warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Good question!

I was interested to see a new showroom opened nearby for Ceramic Pro (or was it Pro Ceramic!) but when I googled, the feedback on American detailing sites was that it was overpriced compared to the others and no better.
I have been doing research on this for quiet a bit and it is true that the ceramic coating is better in terms of shine and longivity (in our climate conditions - 01 year maximum) but the results achieved in terms of shine with ceramic coating is just about 15% better than a professional detailing job. However, the pricing for ceramic coating is more than 3 times the cost which I personally feel is not worth as compared to the result. For example - For a VW Polo a professional detail (interior & exterior) would cost you around 6k-7k where as an exteriro ceramic coat and interior detail would cost a whooping 20k!! The creamic coating guys offer a free touch up after 06 months.

I personally feel that there is no justification in price if you anyway need to do a touch up after 06 months after spending a good 20k on ceramic coating. It feels like they have included the 'free' touch up in the cost too. Might as well get a professional detail for your car twice a year and you will still pay not more than 15k.

Last edited by Epic : 5th November 2016 at 18:25.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 18:14   #9944
Senior - BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Apart from Microfiber Cloths (3M, Meguiar's) do you use any other cloth for washing & drying.

Here is what I do occasionally & the same step is followed by washing guy on regular days.

2 Methods are there in washing

1. Using Running Water
Here, these steps are followed

1. Rinse the car thoroughly
2. Clean the Wheels Using Terry Towel(For Rims) & Brush(For Tyres). Use Soap Powder if necessary.
3. Clean the Body Panels(Top to Bottom), this is done only till the bottom portion of the Doors, the Running boards are cleaned using another cloth
4. Wash the plastic panels & mirrors
5. Rinse the car thoroughly again
6. Wait for few minutes & Start Drying in uniform motion using MF cloth.

Here the washing of each panel is done under running water. This ensures that there is minimum scratches to the paint surface.

2. Using 2 Bucket Method

Everyone knows this so won't eloberate much. If some one uses Car Shampoo & doesn't have a Pressure Washer, this would be best bet. But I don't use any Shampoo for cleaning, hence the 1st Method is the best one according to me.

I might get a Pressure Washer soon with an Foam Lance, that would give washing a Professional Touch IMO

Also, Even though Microfiber Cloth is good, I use Chamois Cloth for Drying. This makes it easier for quick wiping & also keeps surface glossy & clean.

For Dusting, I am not using Jopasu Duster, but an Air Blower which takes away high amount of dust that has accumulated over a period.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 6th November 2016 at 18:22.
Old 7th November 2016, 14:02   #9945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
Just to add my little bit to your confusion. Every detailing shop will give their strengths and the more you research the more you will get confused. At the moment there are more than 20+ protectants in the market. The price range is from 5K-25K. It seems you have a budget. Then you should go for what fits your budget. As regards to justification of each product at different prices it is all about the skill and experience of the detailing centre. Please ask them to demonstrate either on a car which is being done or on a panel of your car. Each LSP has a different look and feel. Judge what brings a smile on your face. If the price is higher than your budget then ask yourself is this what you would like your car to look like. From our experience check how long the person has been in the business of detailing. Is he a newbie or has years of experience in Indian conditions? You will get your answer. As regards to save money, that is the mistake many make. A proper detailing job requires skill and experience. That is the premium you have to pay for someone's skill. You can go to a roadside mechanic repeatedly to look after your car. Otherwise an expert will solve your problem once and for all. It's your choice.
I agree with you on the point of skill and it is ultimately a very important factor in the car detail process. However, the question is what is the use of paying 3 times the amount for ceramic coating as compared to a professional detailer, if I have to anyway touch it up with in 06 months?

The above is my personal opinion and I am nowhere trying to discourage anyone to go for ceramic coatings. I am just saying that to me the price does not justify the outcome.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks