Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2017, 10:32   #10141
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

A quick question to all APC guru's here.

Can I use it in windshield washer ? The ones sold to me by Maruti are bit costly and thought if I can use the bulk purchase products.

Are they safe on windshield ?
Old 18th May 2017, 10:46   #10142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
A quick question to all APC guru's here. Can I use it in windshield washer ? The ones sold to me by Maruti are bit costly and thought if I can use the bulk purchase products. Are they safe on windshield ?
This is not meant to be used as a windshield washer fluid. It may foam as it passes through the nozzles and cause problems when driving. I am aware that some people use a sachet of hair shampoo and other mild soap for this purpose too but that causes foam on the glass. I tried this home DIY once and would never attempt it again.

Megs APC won't harm the windshield and you can use the product to clean glass surfaces.

I'd recommend using a proper windshield cleaner additive. You get washer concentrate that can be diluted. Otherwise check this DIY method:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Windshield-Washer-Fluid
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 11:01   #10143
BHPian

Quote:
...Can I use it in windshield washer ? ....
Are they safe on windshield ?
I've ordered this for Rs. 89/- . Sonax Clear View 1:100 concentrate -25ml

https://www.carpowergrid.com/sonax-c...centrate-25ml/
Attached Images

DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 11:59   #10144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Megs APC won't harm the windshield and you can use the product to clean glass surfaces.
Thank you R2D2. Foaming is indeed an issue, I agree. But, what if I reduce the concentration so that I don't get foam ?

The reason I am asking this is, the tablets and MGP washers are all priced per unit and being in the dustbowl, I empty the tank atleast once 2 weeks.

So, wanted to know if bulk cleaners can be used since it runs cheaper and effect might be milder as per concentration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
I've ordered this for Rs. 89/- . Sonax Clear View 1:100 concentrate -25ml
Thanks DDW. Price is what I feel not justified for this work. It runs much higher than the mediocre car wash shampoo and effect of it is same as any other cleaner other than beading effect that I notice when I use MGP solution.

What if I reduce concentration of this solution and then try ??
Old 18th May 2017, 12:50   #10145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you R2D2. Foaming is indeed an issue, I agree. But, what if I reduce the concentration so that I don't get foam ?

The reason I am asking this is, the tablets and MGP washers are all priced per unit and being in the dustbowl, I empty the tank atleast once 2 weeks.

So, wanted to know if bulk cleaners can be used since it runs cheaper and effect might be milder as per concentration. What if I reduce concentration of this solution and then try ??
Well, there's nothing stopping you from trying a new method of cleaning your windshield. Meg's recommended dilution ratio is about 10:1 for most purposes and goes up to 4:1 for more challenging tasks. You can try increasing the dilution ratio. But IMO you just may wind up spending more on this than you intended. I am curious to know how it works out for you.

I am not sure about the conditions in which you drive your car and why you'd need a washing concentrate at all. I have used plain water with success to clearing road muck, road film & insect spatter plastered on the glass at highway speeds. Yeah, it doesn't clean the glass as well as purpose made glass cleaning solutions but nothing gets cheaper than plain water.

PS - I also used the Sonax concentrate and found it pretty effective. However my car gets a dose of OEM windhshield cleaner concentrate in the tank during every annual service which suffices considering the limited mileage my car sees in that period. This is in a mega dust-bowl like Pune

Last edited by R2D2 : 18th May 2017 at 12:53. Reason: added PS
Old 19th May 2017, 22:43   #10146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
If anyone else has ordered it and received in same form, please confirm. As i suspect that perhaps the courier has spilled the contents, topped with water and then delivered. In that case i'll have no idea how to dilute it for use.
Right, so I ordered 2 cans of the stuff and both have the same level of fluid as you received and they came with masking tape stuck on. The so called seal was, well, peeling off easily probably because of the heat and my pulling the masking tape which was probably put in place to prevent leakages. Luckily there was no leak at all.

I was looking at photos on the web and came across this photograph on Meguiar's forum which shows approximately the same amount of cleaner.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-Line-products

Check this too:

http://www.planete-205.com/forum/pla...jet-57812.html
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 16:14   #10147
Distinguished - BHPian

This is how I received Collinite 845 from Greenz Car Care today:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4201873

Cross posting from the thread due to the attitude shown by the seller. Somehow the phone became unresponsive after I reported this to him. Until then, it was all nice and easy. I could recover only around 50ml of the bottle.

Any idea whats the best way to strip down 845? My hands are now coated with this and I tried washing with soap and hot water. But that doesnt seem to work. Will scrubbing with IPA help?

Last edited by audioholic : 20th May 2017 at 16:24.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 17:19   #10148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Any idea whats the best way to strip down 845? My hands are now coated with this and I tried washing with soap and hot water. But that doesnt seem to work. Will scrubbing with IPA help?
Disappointed to read about the busted bottle of Collinite and the seller's attitude.

IPA should work in taking off the wax. But exposure can dry your skin. You can also try spraying WD40 on a cotton ball to wipe off the gunk. Just be sure to wash with water and soap after it's done
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 18:07   #10149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Cross posting from the thread due to the attitude shown by the seller. Somehow the phone became unresponsive after I reported this to him. Until then, it was all nice and easy. I could recover only around 50ml of the bottle.

If you still need a bottle, let me know. I have an unopened one at home.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 21:32   #10150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Disappointed to read about the busted bottle of Collinite and the seller's attitude.

IPA should work in taking off the wax. But exposure can dry your skin. You can also try spraying WD40 on a cotton ball to wipe off the gunk. Just be sure to wash with water and soap after it's done
Thanks. Rubbed it with IPA and it took some time for my skin to get back to its usual moisture absorbing mode. The smell is still there, which means I havent removed it fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If you still need a bottle, let me know. I have an unopened one at home.
Thanks Vidyut for the offer. The latest news this evening is I got a call back saying that they are ready to send in a replacement. I asked for a partial quantity since I did have some 100ml left with me, but they werent able to arrange that and offered me the option of a discount voucher or another bottle of collinite. The obvious choice was a replacement since I am not sure if the discount coupon would be utilised by me. However, I should admit that things were settled, but only after ringing bells.

On the other hand, getting back to the product itself, this is one hell of a wax. Now the floor of my room is slippery as hell, my desk and my arms are still slippery and it sticks on to surfaces like a magnet. Managed to put the recovered quantity in a sauce dispenser which I got it for 30 bucks near my house Spent the afternoon cleaning up the mess and the evening trying it on my Dio for a starter. Results are just amazing. Will take pictures and post them tomorrow in daylight.

For my Dio which did not have any swirls on it, I followed the following process:
  • Wash and remove stains using APC
  • Light buffing by Menzerna 1000 especially on some areas with a few scratches with a foam pad(rotary)
  • Finished it by Meguiars Ultimate Polish
  • Wiped down the surface with IPA
  • One coat of Collinite 845 by sponge applicator and wiped it off quite quickly
  • Willl apply another coat tomorrow in daylight
I also have an Armorall Butter Smooth wax bottle with me. Any idea if this can be a part of the chain? Should I apply on the Collinite or below the collinite?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:36   #10151
BHPian

Quote:

So sorry to see this happening. Certainly they are trying to avoid ownership. Tell them, their attitude has been broadcasted to fellow enthusiasts in our forum and they will pay the brunt of such lax attitude for a premium product.

One way to get the smell and product off your hands is by washing with warm water and Sabeena powder. The powder's grit will remove wax. Then you can use normal handwash.

Quote:
Any idea if this can be a part of the chain? Should I apply on the Collinite or below the collinite?
You won't need anything else when applying Collinite. Its more than enough. Make sure it does not make contact with any of the hard dark plastics such as scruf pads or exterior door pads. It tends to leave a white tinge to them. Target only painted surfaces and glasses.

Last edited by prithm : 22nd May 2017 at 12:40. Reason: Multi Quote
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:16   #10152
BHPian

Quote:

I'm not surprised! I had ordered UWW (Ultima Waterless Wash Conc) from their website and even though they didn't have stock, they went ahead and allowed me to purchase it. Later they called me and said they will give "replacement" items for the cost or send me a larger bottle for which extra payment needs to be made. I promptly asked them to cancel the order and refund the amount. This happened after 1 week of ordering - couldn't they have informed me about this "no stock" issue earlier? After looking at how they shipped your 845, I think I will avoid them in future.

On the other hand, I procured UWW from BBImpex and I must say the packing was exceptionally brilliant. I thought it was overkill while I was furiously unpacking the bottle (like a little kid on Christmas day) and all I found was layers and layers and layers of bubble wrap, cling wrap, newspaper wrap, and any other packing material that's procurable in India!

Now, after reading such shipping nightmares, I feel that the wrapping was probably required!

I think BBImpex has Collinite 845 in stock - why dont you check them?

Disclaimer: I am no way related to BBImpex or have any association with them, commercial or otherwise. Just been a happy customer and sharing my feedback.
Old 24th May 2017, 08:35   #10153
BHPian

Has anyone used Aerospace 303 protectant ?

Need your feedback and guidance on usage.

I got this ordered by mistake, I did not see the contents of the Cart before paying.
Old 25th May 2017, 10:00   #10154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Received this from Amazon today. Paid 380rs for the larger 340g box. Has a printed mrp of 530 bucks with the matrix one import sticker and a manufacturing date of Jan 2017. Appears to be as original as it can get. Will post results over the weekend.
Old 25th May 2017, 12:52   #10155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Received this from Amazon today. Paid 380rs for the larger 340g box. Has a printed mrp of 530 bucks with the matrix one import sticker and a manufacturing date of Jan 2017. Appears to be as original as it can get. Will post results over the weekend.
Used it last to last weekend. Results are okay but the shine doesn't last long. Please avoid spreading it over panel gaps consciously, it's a pain to remove.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks