Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2018, 07:52   #10471
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Thank you for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
There's no curing time per se. For the compound and polish, apply and wipe off with a clean microfiber cloth ensuring you polish a section, say a panel, at a time. For larger panels like the bonnet or roof do a smaller 2 x 2 ft section. Don't allow the product to dry on the paint.
I am planning to apply the compound only to certain areas that have minor swirls and scratches. But I understand that the polish can be applied to all areas immediately after compounding. Is that right?

The Clay kit that I have from CarPro has three variants viz. fine, extra fine and medium. The seller told me that the classification is based on level of contamination in the paint. Does that mean that a single type of clay can be used both on glass and paint? (i.e. type is independent of surface?)
Old 25th June 2018, 09:04   #10472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishna.te View Post
I am planning to apply the compound only to certain areas that have minor swirls and scratches. But I understand that the polish can be applied to all areas immediately after compounding. Is that right?
Yes you can use polish once the compound has been wiped off.

A compound is more abrasive than than polish which is more abrasive than wax. Some waxes like Collinite 845/915/476s do not have abrasives in them.

Use compound judiciously and only if required on paint that is dull and has taken a beating over the years. Polish is a little gentle but once again, at your discretion. In a nutshell, do not use compounds and polishes unless really required. Waxes with micro abrasives like the Megs wax range are best

Quote:
The Clay kit that I have from CarPro has three variants viz. fine, extra fine and medium. The seller told me that the classification is based on level of contamination in the paint. Does that mean that a single type of clay can be used both on glass and paint? (i.e. type is independent of surface?)
I am not sure what condition your car's paint is in but what your dealer has said is true. Use extra fine or fine on a car that's well kept (parked in a garage) with low surface contamination and medium for a car that has paint requiring some TLC. Make sure you use a clay lubricant too.

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th June 2018 at 09:07.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 10:02   #10473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You can get some diesel and wipe it over the area, leave it for few minutes and then wash with your choice of car shampoo. This will take care of the tar marks for now. Diesel will not cause any damage if you use it for just cleaning which would be at best 10 mts.
I second this. Mine is dark grey, but has collected tar spots over the year. I chose to neglect it since I drive on roads that gets relaid and mended every other month due to construction work.

This time, the detailer had time in his hand and did this painstaking job of cleaning it with petrol for nearly 45 minutes or so. It did take the wax off the surface, but the clear coat was still there.

I had to do two rounds of hard wax to get the deep shine look back on those spots, but looks much better and smooth to touch.

P.S. The spots were on the lower side of the door, rear bumper and few spots on the front bumper.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 10:08   #10474
BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure what condition your car's paint is in but what your dealer has said is true.
I think the contamination will be minimum since the car is 2 months old and is always kept covered by a car cover. I will try the clay and check the level of contamination.

The images attached will give you an idea about the condition of the paint.
When I used Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Wax on my car, the results were great! I only wonder if something can be done about the fingerprint and hand-print marks that inevitably show on the surface.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20180616_071553247.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20180616_071546378_burst000_cover_top.jpg  

Old 25th June 2018, 15:35   #10475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think the contamination will be minimum since the car is 2 months old and is always kept covered by a car cover. I will try the clay and check the level of contamination.
ONR and Ultima are the best rinseless washes albeit expensive compared to some Indian products.

Since it's new and well cared for you don't need compound + polishing. Just clay the car using the "fine" bar with a lubricant like an ONR solution, wash and dry the car after which you apply a coat of wax (Collinite rocks) or Megs Gold Carnauba wax a product that I too like. You must try their Ultimate wax and NXT waxes.

Maintain your car well when it's new and it will retain its looks over time at the lowest possible cost. Everybody appreciates a well maintained vehicle. And hey, car detailing gets addictive.

Quote:
I only wonder if something can be done about the fingerprint and hand-print marks that inevitably show on the surface.
Keeping the car covered is the only safe way to do it. But mind you during the monsoon you need to be judicious with covers as they can trap moisture..not a good thing for metal sheeting. Buy a good quality cover like a Tyvek or similar material. There's a thread on TBHP that discusses car Covers

One step to keeping car finger print free is to park it some distance away from walkways/corridors in a housing colony or at your office which are frequented by people. Most people have a habit of dragging fingers across paint, touching the car for no reason, keeping bags on the roof/hood/boot and other such peculiarities of our people, the worst of course being vandals.
Old 25th June 2018, 16:02   #10476

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
Planning to order "Proklear Wwc Windshield Wash Additive Concentrate" from Amazon. The instructions in the description do not explain the ratio with which the liquid has to diluted.
The description just mentions that 5ml need to be added every time, and it will last for 50 refills.

Any pointers in this regard is highly appreciated.
I have used this windshield washer additive from proklear and not very much impressed with it. I found proklear waterless wash more effective for cleaning the windshield and it also left some protection on glass which was evident by beading on windshield during rains.
I used 5 ml windshield wash additive for 500ml water.
drrikhav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 13:45   #10477
BHPian

I have few food stains on black fabric upholstery, I would like to remove them - is there some magic product or any interior cleaner will do good? Thanks in advance.
Old 27th June 2018, 08:38   #10478
BHPian

Quote:
And hey, car detailing gets addictive.
True dat!

Quote:
One step to keeping car finger print free is to park it some distance away from walkways/corridors in a housing colony or at your office which are frequented by people. Most people have a habit of dragging fingers across paint, touching the car for no reason, keeping bags on the roof/hood/boot and other such peculiarities of our people, the worst of course being vandals.
Sadly, I live on a main road and park on the road. There's no way out. If only the wax or some other product magically offered some protection. (The caption "Fingerprint Resitant" would look good on any product's cover)
Old 27th June 2018, 08:49   #10479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I have few food stains on black fabric upholstery, I would like to remove them - is there some magic product or any interior cleaner will do good? Thanks in advance.

Meguiars upholstery cleaner is very good in removing stains from carpet and covers. This will help you in getting rid of any stains.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-imageuploadedbyteambhp1530069533.826439.jpg
Old 27th June 2018, 09:08   #10480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If only the wax or some other product magically offered some protection.
Your car is new so you may want to consider ceramic coating. It's expensive but should be able to tick all or nearly all the boxes for you. Plus it lasts longer than a coat of wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
Meguiars upholstery cleaner is very good in removing stains from carpet and covers. This will help you in getting rid of any stains.
I can vouch for this product's efficacy. It's so good I even use it to clean my home furniture upholstery.

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th June 2018 at 09:10.
Old 29th June 2018, 13:26   #10481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrikhav View Post
I have used this windshield washer additive from proklear and not very much impressed with it. I found proklear waterless wash more effective for cleaning the windshield and it also left some protection on glass which was evident by beading on windshield during rains.
I used 5 ml windshield wash additive for 500ml water.
I'm not sure what you are implying here. Proklear additive is to be used with windshield washer fluid by diluting with RO water. This has nothing to do with Proklear waterless wash. I believe, the additive can be also used for cleaning glass, but the primary use is to add it in windshield fluid tank.
Old 29th June 2018, 13:50   #10482

Hi all!!

Need advice on how to restore the interior black plastic on my Getz 2005.
I have tried a lot of products but they all just polish and add a shine to the faded plastics which of course, doesn't last very long. I guess something that contains some sort of dye would be the only way to restore it. any suggestions?
Old 29th June 2018, 14:47   #10483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are implying here.
What DrRikhav implied was that he used ProKlear windshield washer additive but didn't find it effective. However, he used ProKlear waterless wash (one that gets used for washing cars) on windshield and it was effective(water beading) for him.
My experience is also similar to DrRikhav.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 16:19   #10484

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are implying here. Proklear additive is to be used with windshield washer fluid by diluting with RO water. This has nothing to do with Proklear waterless wash. I believe, the additive can be also used for cleaning glass, but the primary use is to add it in windshield fluid tank.
I am comparing method of cleaning the windshield glass between two. According to my experience glass was easily cleaned with waterless wash and microfiber cloth as compared to additive fluid and vipers.
drrikhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 13:58   #10485
BHPian

Quote:
Your car is new so you may want to consider ceramic coating. It's expensive but should be able to tick all or nearly all the boxes for you. Plus it lasts longer than a coat of wax.
Thanks I will check it out!

There is so much information on this thread that it is easy to get confused! For example, the role of sealants in the detailing process is well explained not only in this thread but also in the thread about car waxes and sealants. But I still can't decide if a sealant is required or not before waxing, since Meguiars says the polish itself acts like a sealant.

Slightly Off topic - Great work done by the community to bring in so many different points of view. The best part is how each person learns when he/she does it on a vehicle and comes up with additional tips/thoughts!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks