Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2018, 09:16   #10516
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Need help pls!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20180806090354.jpg

How to get rid of these black dots on my white car? These are dirts that have sticked to the paint that doesn't go away with normal washing. Please suggest me a way to get rid of them.
Old 6th August 2018, 09:18   #10517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Need help pls!

Attachment 1787358

How to get rid of these black dots on my white car? These are dirts that have sticked to the paint that doesn't go away with normal washing. Please suggest me a way to get rid of them.
Clay bar should work. After wash, run a clay bar over the whole car with a suitable lube spray.

Meguiars or Mother clay bar.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 10:37   #10518
BHPian

Quote:
Need help pls!

Attachment 1787358

These are tar spots. Petrol/Diesel/Kerosene/WD 40 as per availability will work. Soak a piece of cloth/sponge with the solvent and wipe. After that wash with shampoo and apply wax.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 10:43   #10519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need help pls!

Attachment 1787358

Could you please post a picture from a bigger perspective, i.e, showing the panel in which you see these specks.
If they are in the lower panels like bumper, running board, lower fender, lower door - then these are tar spots.
Have you recently driven over freshly laid road?
Easiest way to remove tar is is via the chemical decontamination method - use something like this or this .

If the above method does not work to your full satisfaction, then try claying.

P.S - Not endorsing any stores, just sample links.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:06   #10520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Clay bar should work. After wash, run a clay bar over the whole car with a suitable lube spray.
Thank you.
Quote:
Meguiars or Mother clay bar.
If you know, can you please suggest any website where I can buy this for a genuine price. Both are available in Amazon.in but prices are expensive. Their original websites doesn't offer international shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
These are tar spots. Petrol/Diesel/Kerosene/WD 40 as per availability will work. Soak a piece of cloth/sponge with the solvent and wipe. After that wash with shampoo and apply wax.
Thanks! They are not just in a small portion. It's present throughout at the lower side of front & back doors on both sides. So wouldn't applying Petrol/Kerosine/WD 40 on the whole portion affect the paint of my car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Could you please post a picture from a bigger perspective, i.e, showing the panel in which you see these specks.
If they are in the lower panels like bumper, running board, lower fender, lower door - then these are tar spots.
They are present on lower side of doors on both sides. It is not visible when you see from a distance. But when you look closer you can see lot of small dots.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20180806_104713.jpg

Quote:
Have you recently driven over freshly laid road?
I haven't driven over any fresh laid roads. But I think this is tar and this could be the result of driving through many potholes that developed during monsoon. This might be tar from broken roads.

Quote:
Easiest way to remove tar is is via the chemical decontamination method - use something like this.
Thank you for suggesting this. Have you used this before? Will it cause damage to the paint? Because I have a large area for application.

Last edited by Flyer : 6th August 2018 at 11:08.
Old 6th August 2018, 11:10   #10521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need help pls!

Attachment 1787358

Try to get a bottle of Vista Tar & Bug Remover, spray it on the affected area, wipe off after 2-3 minutes. Its as simple as that.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:30   #10522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for suggesting this. Have you used this before?
Yes, quite a few times. I normally use this.

Quote:
Will it cause damage to the paint? Because I have a large area for application.
No damage to paint. Although, I would suggest to use it in an open area as the smell of most tar removers are quite pungent.

Last edited by blackasta : 6th August 2018 at 11:32.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:30   #10523
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! They are not just in a small portion. It's present throughout at the lower side of front & back doors on both sides. So wouldn't applying Petrol/Kerosine/WD 40 on the whole portion affect the paint of my car?
No it won't. Most Tar removers contains Naphtha which is a Petroleum derivative and is similar in propery to to petrol/diesel/kerosene. Only you pay more. Apply the solvent and wash off as soon as the spots dissolve. During car pressure wash at petrol pumps the wash guys regularly does this.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 17:26   #10524
BHPian

Detailing gurus please help!

The inner surface of all glasses in our Linea becomes hazy when wiped with a damp cloth. It is a bit sticky when moist. I believe it is some residue from condensation of the dashboard polish. (The detailing center uses Meguiars)

Now, I've tried many things like Colin's glass cleaner, car shampoo and even ' Soapy Wooder ' to get it off, but sadly nothing seems to work.

If wiped quickly and dried, it doesn't leave any hazy marks. What can be the reason and what else should I try ? I'm thinking of using some Pril liquid.

This is how it looks when wiped with a damp cloth.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20180816_170036.jpg

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 16th August 2018 at 17:30. Reason: Adding picture.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 19:54   #10525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
I'm thinking of using some Pril liquid.
It should work. Be careful while wiping rear glass, the defrost lines sometime get loose / damaged with too soapy stuff.

Have you heard about Teepol. Check any scientific lab equipment shop. That's used for cleaning lab grade glasses off all waxy chemicals. Dilute about 2 teaspoons in 250 mL & use a soft old cotton banian cloth. Squeeze dry the cloth before cleaning the glass.

Last edited by prithm : 16th August 2018 at 19:56.
prithm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 17:55   #10526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverhick View Post
I was eyeing the kit and also considering buying more quantity. However unable to find a solid way to buy from India. Did you find a service that delvers them to India ?
I bought the kit recently from amazon.in. Got delivered in about 3 weeks. Not very impressed with the cleaner (maybe because my seats were not that soiled) but the conditioner is quite good.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 20th August 2018, 19:27   #10527
BHPian

I finally picked up the Dazlo cleaner - worked like a charm on my leather sofa and used Chemical Bros Conditioner that I had from a previous purchase. The Dazlo cleaner was def an eye opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
I bought the kit recently from amazon.in. Got delivered in about 3 weeks. Not very impressed with the cleaner (maybe because my seats were not that soiled) but the conditioner is quite good.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 21st August 2018, 13:58   #10528
BHPian

Guys, How to get rid of these scratches in my alloys? Is there any way to easy fix this other than repainting them? Please help with your suggestions.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20180821115830.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20180821_115905.jpg
Old 21st August 2018, 14:27   #10529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How to get rid of these scratches in my alloys
I don't know, but it makes me wonder, and perhaps answers will include... Is the finish that we see on alloy wheels a surface coat? Or is it (as I have always assumed) the metal itself, sanded and polished to the required coat?

If the latter, then I suppose that we must file/sand out scratches and try to replicate the finish. And get wheel rebalanced.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 15:39   #10530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys, How to get rid of these scratches in my alloys? Is there any way to easy fix this other than repainting them?
Those are deep scratches will need some putty, sanding and repaint if you want it perfect. Other option is lightly wet sand and give it brush touch up once dry.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed