Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2019, 00:03   #10726
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Hi @blackasta!
I wanted to know whether the Rainx has improved visibility during rains on your Jazz? I too have a Jazz but can't drive in the rains due to the water staying on ORVMs and the windows. Mind you, this is Mumbai and Pune level rains.
Thanks in advance.

Yes - wipers move silently, and shoves off water much easier from the windshield, while the residual water flows down quickly. Excellent beading in the other glass areas, including ORVMs, side windows and rear hatch.

This is during a spell of rain while commuting back from office, while stuck at traffic.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190807_214120.jpg
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 21:19   #10727

Hello fellow BHP-ians,

Need some help with first time detailing tips .
Decided to pamper my 2 yr old baleno and picked up the following .
Megs Ultimate compound & polish
Collinite 845
Bosch GPO 950 polisher
Meguiars natural shine protectant.
Wavex clay bar and lubricant .

I bought these over a period of 3 months as i couldnt afford all of this at once.

I was short of cash and hence settled for wavex clay which seemed good VFM.

I didnt want to ruin the car and hence decided to use a bit of clay and test it on a clean surface of the car before i went into full detailing mode. Unfortunately after using the clay with generous amount of lube i found a the surface had a bit of haze though it was smooth to touch. No matter how less or more pressure i applied , the haze still appeared wherever i used the clay and it wouldnt go with just car shampoo/wash.
I didnt want to ruin the paint and am afraid to use the clay now.
Any suggestion as to what might have caused this or if there is something i'm not doing right ??

Also i need some help in choosing the right foam pad for the job. The bosch rotary polisher came with a white pad but i'm unsure if that can be used for compounding or polishing .

I have attached the pics which should help in understanding the issue i am facing with the clay bar.
Image A - Before claying
Image B- Where clay was used

Thanks in advance guys .
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-imagea.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-imageb.jpg  

Old 12th August 2019, 22:27   #10728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirenanand View Post
Thanks in advance guys .
Question - did you shampoo the car before claying?

That's just some spots where the clay got stuck to paint. Nothing to bother about, some mild polish should take care of it.

If I were you I wouldn't use a rotary with white pad as a first timer. Try polishing that part by hand using a clean MF towel.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 22:28   #10729
BHPian

Quote:
I have attached the pics which should help in understanding the issue i am facing with the clay bar.
Image A - Before claying
Image B- Where clay was used

Thanks in advance guys .
Can't make out much from attached pics, but may I ask why did you want to use clay? Were there any stubborn muck/stains on the paint? Are you annoyed with the micro scratches/rough looking surface after claying?
If I'm not wrong clay is considered more abrasive [compared to say rubbing compound]. So if the clay has done it's work of removing the stains you can proceed with rubbing and then polishing.

EDIT:
Here are few pics of my car's bonnet, after a supposedly restore attempt by ASS of Hyundai. After just a single wash I could clearly see the excellent work done by them. On one weekend I got working on it.

Scratches left by ASS..
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190706_134151.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190706_134200.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190706_143113.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190706_145200.jpg

After Rubbing Compound [3M 1 Step] and generous elbow grease
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190706_151729.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190706_144531.jpg

After polishing [Proklear Carnauba Spray polish]

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190706_153417.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190706_153422.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20190706_153439.jpg

PS: Right now bonnet doesn't look this neat - courtesy neighbor's cats! Has numerous micro scratches. Need to get a good/thick car cover :(

Last edited by somspaple : 12th August 2019 at 22:44.
somspaple is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 22:38   #10730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
If I'm not wrong Clay is considered more abrasive [compared to say rubbing compound]. So if the clay has done it's work of removing the stains you can proceed with rubbing and then polishing.
There is no abrasion whatsoever that's caused by clay - clay just picks up any non bonded contaminants from the paint surface. Think of it as you broke a glass in your dining room with fine pieces spread across, and then run a loaf of bread or a pile of dough to pick up the fine pieces of glass as they get embedded in the bread or dough.

Rubbing compounds or polishes work on the principle of removing a fine layer of paint / clear coat.

The applications & procedure are totally different.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 22:51   #10731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
There is no abrasion whatsoever that's caused by clay - clay just picks up any non bonded contaminants from the paint surface. Think of it as you broke a glass in your dining room with fine pieces spread across, and then run a loaf of bread or a pile of dough to pick up the fine pieces of glass as they get embedded in the bread or dough.

Rubbing compounds or polishes work on the principle of removing a fine layer of paint / clear coat.

The applications & procedure are totally different.
This is exactly what I used to think. But then couple of detailing videos on youtube had different opinion. Also, check out these links: https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/27897/best-clay-bars
https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-...ld-i-purchase/

In my case, probably the clay used at service center was old/dirty. The more these guys used clay to remove spots [tree saps] I could see more fine scratches [anyway it was a frustrating experience].

Last edited by somspaple : 12th August 2019 at 22:55.
Old 12th August 2019, 22:57   #10732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly what I used to think. But then couple of detailing videos on Youtube had different opinion. Also, check out these links: https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/27897/best-clay-bars
https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-...ld-i-purchase/

In my case, probably the clay used at service center was old/dirty. The more these guys used clay to remove spots [tree saps] I could see more fine scratches [anyway it was a frustrating experience].
Service centers use clay? that's news to me atleast ! If they do , their clay at best will be as clean as their white pad, which has turned permanently grey !

And tree saps are best removed with a bug n tar cleaner like tarx, oblitarate or the likes. Even goo gone or wd40 may be tried.
Old 12th August 2019, 23:16   #10733

Quote:
Question - did you shampoo the car before claying?

That's just some spots where the clay got stuck to paint. Nothing to bother about, some mild polish should take care of it.

If I were you I wouldn't use a rotary with white pad as a first timer. Try polishing that part by hand using a clean MF towel.
Yes, i did shampoo before claying .
Sure , will use a MF towel to polish. Thank you
Old 12th August 2019, 23:24   #10734

Quote:
Can't make out much from attached pics, but may I ask why did you want to use clay? Were there any stubborn muck/stains on the paint? Are you annoyed with the micro scratches/rough looking surface after claying?
If I'm not wrong clay is considered more abrasive [compared to say rubbing compound]. So if the clay has done it's work of removing the stains you can proceed with rubbing and then polishing.:(
Oh yes, there were hard water spots and the paint felt rough due to fine cement particles(Construction work next to my place) mixed with Bangalore rain .

Also, I was afraid that the clay damaged the paint itself. If polishing will fix it, then i do not mind at all. . Thanks .
Old 12th August 2019, 23:27   #10735
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good car spa / polish garage in Andheri (West)? Not 3M, thanks! Their prices are bordering on the ridiculous.
Sadly the guy who did it for me last time has shut shop and disappeared.

Cheers,
SS
Old 12th August 2019, 23:46   #10736
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendations for a good Glass Cleaner ? I was using the Meguiars Glass Cleaner Concentrate all these years which did a brilliant job cleaning the windshield, especially from the inside. Anything similar I can buy ? I read reviews of 3M and Meguiars glass cleaners and the reactions seem mixed.

Alternately, if someone has Megs Glass cleaner concentrate for sale in smaller quantities please do leave me a message.
Old 13th August 2019, 12:24   #10737
BHPian

Quote:
Service centers use clay? that's news to me atleast ! If they do , their clay at best will be as clean as their white pad, which has turned permanently grey !

And tree saps are best removed with a bug n tar cleaner like tarx, oblitarate or the likes. Even goo gone or wd40 may be tried.
Yep, it's a brand new car and service centre has a 3M team working on cars. Tree saps were stubborn and stuck to paint over a period of atleast few months at dealer's yard. All other options were tried before clay. Anyway the scratch marks left above in the pics are by wet sanding (i guess clay didn't cut it for them - pun intended ). They haven't done a good enough job of polishing to take them out.

You're right about state of their pads and clay bar though.

Quote:
Oh yes, there were hard water spots and the paint felt rough due to fine cement particles(Construction work next to my place) mixed with Bangalore rain .

Also, I was afraid that the clay damaged the paint itself. If polishing will fix it, then i do not mind at all. . Thanks .
In that case you can try clay. Clay does leave bit of messy surface after process as I've observed. It can be corrected with rubbing and follow that with nice polish for that glossy look.

Last edited by somspaple : 13th August 2019 at 12:34.
Old 13th August 2019, 17:31   #10738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Any recommendations for a good Glass Cleaner ?
Try Sonax Clear Glass.

I have used Meguiars Perfect Clarity and Armour All Glass Cleaner.

Found Sonax to better then them.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 15:39   #10739
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Adding to my previous comments, this is what I am talking about Gyeon CanCoat. Any experience anyone?
I bought Cancoat and applied on my car after a proper wash session. Due to the excitement of trying a new product, I skipped the waxing session which I think should not have been skipped. The swirls are still visible as the Cancoat does not hide the scratches and swirls, instead creates a glass layer (as advertised) on top of the paint. To apply, add 2 or 3 sprays on a micro fibre towel and wipe on the surface. After 30 seconds or so, buff it off with another micro fibre towel. Let it cure for 24 hours. It can be applied on metal, plastic and glass.

My car is now 5+ years old and has covered 86,200 kms. I would suggest to go for Cancoat blindly, to anyone looking for a good paint protection coating. It can be applied over a waxed surface too. The water beading and water sheeting are terrific now, watch the video below.

Last edited by pavi : 18th August 2019 at 15:45.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 16:14   #10740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I bought Cancoat and applied on my car after a proper wash.

Pavi,Where did you source it from and what was the cost?
Thanks.

Most Viewed