Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2020, 15:46   #11056
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
One more thing, I have some very stubborn dried up tree sap spots on the car. I was not able to get rid of it while applying the compound.
Thank you.
I removed 5 day old tree sap with a clay bar. Give it a try.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 09:20   #11057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I removed 5 day old tree sap with a clay bar. Give it a try.
I did try that. However I'm not able to remove the tree sap as it's about 3 years old .
Old 1st November 2020, 13:19   #11058
BHPian

Does anyone here have a good guide or has created their own guides for washing and detailing?

Sometimes all the info on this thread is overwhelming and I would just like a couple of guides that I can follow and get to 80% of it and then evolve the washing and detailing process?

I live in an apartment complex, so can't spray water at will and can use the two bucket method. I do have access to power in case it is necessary. Over to you guys for sharing guides

Thanks!
maverhick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 13:53   #11059
BHPian

Hello guys!

Today I used Proklear Raw CX on my Modest BC-08 ceramic coated Phantom Black Creta. I used the 2 microfiber dry wash method and despite my efforts, there was quite a few water marks (small droplets it seems from the Proklear spray) left over. Is there something I can do better?
Old 1st November 2020, 14:58   #11060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Hello guys!

Today I used Proklear Raw CX on my Modest BC-08 ceramic coated Phantom Black Creta. I used the 2 microfiber dry wash method and despite my efforts, there was quite a few water marks (small droplets it seems from the Proklear spray) left over. Is there something I can do better?
Shouldn't happen if you do it in the shade and one panel at a time.
Old 1st November 2020, 15:25   #11061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Shouldn't happen if you do it in the shade and one panel at a time.
Alas didn't do it in shade. Have an open parking. I initially thought I might have 'over' diluted the Raw CX, or maybe I'm letting it sit for too long?

I did do one panel at a time, but the spray radius from the air pump type insecticide gardening sprayer is a bit too wide and inevitably scatters the solution to adjoining panels.
Old 1st November 2020, 17:38   #11062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Hello guys!

I also live in an apartment complex. Although I do have access to running water and shade I have tweaked the waterless method a bit to minimise 2 problems (swirls & watermarks). Hopefully, it should help you too.

So, what I do is, I use a manual sprayer and use it to wet the whole surface first. This essentially serves the purpose of removing the accumulated dirt on the panels, thereby reducing the number of swirls induced during the rinseless wash.

Additionally, this also takes care of the spotting issue as the overspray essentially lands on a surface which is already wet and hence, won't dry out.

I personally found waterless wash less messy as against rinseless wash. Also, since the dilution ratio of a waterless wash is lesser, it offers more lubricity and hence, less swirls. Using the manual sprayer, even if you end up using 1 bucket of water for the whole car, is still worth it. The specific reason for using sprayer is that the pressure is enough to dislodge the light dirt.

I use Proklear RAW instead of the CX version as the vehicle is ceramic coated and using Carnauba spray on top of it will mask the coating properties.

I use a 5ml product in a 500 ml Amway trigger spray bottle and I found it to be enough for 1-time use on my Creta.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th October 2022 at 07:55. Reason: Typos
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 18:21   #11063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
I also live in apartment complex although i do have access to running water and shade i have tweaked the watweless method a bit to minimise 2 problems(Swirls,Watermarks.
Hopefully it should help you too.

So what i do is i use a manual sprayer and use that to wet the whole surface first.This essentially serves the purpose of removing the accumulated dirt on the panels therby reducing the number of swirls induced during the rinseless wash.

Additionally this also takes care of the spotting issue as the overspray essentially lands on a surface which is already wet and hence wont dry out.

I personally found Waterless wash less messy as against Rinseless wash.Also since the dilition ratio of a Waterless wash is lesser so it offers more lubricity and hence less swirls.

Using the manual sprayer even if you end up using 1 bucket of water for the whole car its still worth.The specific reason for using sprayer is that the pressure is enough to dislodge the light dirt.

I use Proklear RAW instead of the CX version as the vehicle is ceramic coated and using carnuba spray on top of it will mask the coating properties.

I use 5ml product in a 500 ml Amway trigger spray bottle and i found it to be enough for 1 time use on my Creta.

Hope it helps.
Good tip on using the manual sprayer vs sprinkler. The sprinkler has very little pressure.

I'm a bit confused as to waterless vs rinseless wash? I was under the impression that they're the same thing.

I should have got the Raw too instead of CX but alas went with the superior Amazon rating

Last edited by iamitp : 1st November 2020 at 18:34.
Old 1st November 2020, 18:52   #11064
BHPian

Waterless and Rinseless are kind of the same thing with the only difference being the amount of water used .The products used are pretty much the same though.I am using CarproEchO2 and Proklear in and out nowdays.
Talking about buying a carnuba based concentrate i have a 1 litre ONR WASH AND WAX lying with me sealed bottle which i am trying not to Open so i feel your pain.Even if you use a carnuba based waterless wash it wont harm.I have tried it myself in the past so can vouch for it.

Last edited by Artyom : 1st November 2020 at 18:55.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 09:25   #11065
BHPian

Guys any pointer to a detailer in East Delhi? I acquired a 4 year old Wagon R, the car used to be parked in open and probably never seen any waxing. So I want to get the first basic detailing done from a professional. After that it will be regularky taken care of by me.
Old 8th November 2020, 11:53   #11066
BHPian

Hey Guys, can the faded paint be restored through rubbing? And what is the way to gauge the extent of faded layers?
Old 8th November 2020, 13:19   #11067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Hey Guys, can the faded paint be restored through rubbing? And what is the way to gauge the extent of faded layers?
Paint mostly fades due to oxidation.
That oxidized layer can be removed, and the layers below can be polished to shine and sealed to be protected.
Please see a specialized detailer who knows his trade.
Fly by night polishwala with a rotary and a dabba of polish shall do more harm than good.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 17:51   #11068
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not an expert. But, to remove a faded paint layer, wouldn't one need to remove the top clearcoat completely?
Old 8th November 2020, 18:23   #11069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I am not an expert. But, to remove a faded paint layer, wouldn't one need to remove the top clearcoat completely?
Not completely. Maybe a few microns. Factory clearcoat is quite thin, and thus it's quite easy for a hackjaob to burn through the clearcoat. Thus the call for an experienced detailer.
Also, it may be entirely possible that the car is repainted, in total or in different panels. Maybe some panels do not have any clearcoat at all. The approach should be adjusted likewise.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 20:48   #11070
Distinguished - BHPian

Having just had my car polished, along with a recent service, I was looking for a lazyman way to keep the shine longer. I'd settled on spray-on-and-wipe-off Optimum Car Wax (Amazon). I'd searched Amazon and a couple of independent sites and was finding it hard to get in-stock. Settled for an expensive deal at Amazon, over 3k, on the basis that it would probably last me a long time.

The delivery period was long too. It was just coming due, a few days ago, when I got an "Order Cancelled" message from Amazon. I searched again, found the same product at half the price, ordered it, and got it today.

Link above, but when I bought it said "only two in stock," and now it says "only one..."
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks