Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2021, 15:40   #11176
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Would you recommend ...
I'll pass on that, leaving the answer for the far-more experienced members here.
Old 14th February 2021, 16:13   #11177
BHPian

Quote:
Would you recommend using a thinner to remove the paint (have some lying around)?
Apply kerosene on a soft cloth. Rub gently on the yellow paint using it. Let us know how it goes.
K_Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 20:17   #11178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
Apply kerosene on a soft cloth. Rub gently on the yellow paint using it. Let us know how it goes.
Did seem to remove the yellow paint but the black paint around it started looking duller. Put my DIY on hold for now. Shall try to get it fixed on my routine detailing visit.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 12:09   #11179
BHPian

Quote:
Would you recommend using a thinner to remove the paint (have some lying around)?
Thinner is a strict No. It will peel of your clear coat and even base coat if you are aggressive.

Last edited by KkVaidya : 15th February 2021 at 12:11.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 19:57   #11180

Quote:
Thanks! Did try to remove the yellow paint using WD 40,Proklear waterless wash liquid, Sanitizer spray (with alcohol) and Lizol spray to no effect.

Try using IPA or Iso-Propyl alcohol. You can get this at any pharmacy. Do not use thinner, it will eat the plastic.
mak556 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 15:17   #11181
BHPian

Hello all,

How does one try to keep their stock fabric seats clean?
So I have a 2020 Škoda Rapid Ambition, which comes with beige coloured fabric seats. I don’t know when or how it happened but the driver seat picked up a few stains. After looking around enough on Amazon I ordered
“Turtle Wax Quick & Easy Interior 1 Multi Purpose Cleaner and Stain Removal”

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-409d7ec5c4b84e49b7b88e79da68672e.jpeg

And this is the result after I tried to clean the seat base according to the video provided in product page of Turtle Wax website.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-d8a6a59204594e70b0b772bbb4ee3a19.jpeg

As one can notice, the circle shaped stains were there before, now there’s discolouration. I admit it’s not totally dry yet. I tried my best to dry it with a micro fibre cloth as I do not have a car vacuum cleaner.

What am I doing wrong?
Please advice.
Apologies in advance, if this is not the right place to post this question.

Thank you,
Neo
Old 19th February 2021, 17:53   #11182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_narender View Post
What am I doing wrong?
Please advice.
Are you sure you applied enough for the stain to be removed?If yes then you should wait for it to dry completely and that should lighten the stain and give you a correct picture how much effective the cleaner was.Please do keep us posted as i am also planning to try it.
Old 19th February 2021, 19:24   #11183

Quote:
What am I doing wrong?
Please advice.
Yes, Please keep up posted how it looks after completely dried, I have ordered the same for my beige color seats of Sonet, yet to arrive. It's just a small stain I want to remove.
Old 19th February 2021, 21:34   #11184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

How does one try to keep their stock fabric seats clean

As one can notice, the circle shaped stains were there before, now there’s discolouration. I admit it’s not totally dry yet. I tried my best to dry it with a micro fibre cloth as I do not have a car vacuum cleaner.

What am I doing wrong?
I am not sure if that spot is because of the dampness or if thats because of improper process. But one thing which is very important when you clean a fabric seat especially the lighter colours is to clean the entire area. A spot fix will usually never work and will make the issue worse. In your case I do not think those spots will go once the seat dries up.

Fabric seats catch dust and store them. When you use a liquid cleaner on a small patch of the fabric, the liquid will just displace this dust and sometimes the borders of the patch will gather more dirt like a ripple effect. If not, then if you have a strong stain like ink, then when you apply a liquid soap over a small area, the ink will just dilute across the area. Hence, always spray soap and brush across an entire panel, here it is the seat base. Without a vacuum cleaner which can suck all the water out, some amount of the dirt will still remain on the area and discolouration or border marking is pretty expected. But that depends upon how much dirt was present along with the stain.

The Celerio is the only car in my house with fabric seats and I usually wet vacuum the whole seat once or twice a year. The water extracted out of the seats show how much dust was present in it even though the seats looked clean.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 05:01   #11185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Please do keep us posted as i am also planning to try it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_bishop View Post
Yes, Please keep up posted how it looks after completely dried
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I am not sure if that spot is because of the dampness or if thats because of improper process. But one thing which is very important when you clean a fabric seat especially the lighter colours is to clean the entire area. A spot fix will usually never work and will make the issue worse. In your case I do not think those spots will go once the seat dries up.
So the process I followed, since I do not have a vacuum cleaner:
1. Cleaned the whole seat (the base & the back rest) with a micro fibre cloth.
2. Then I applied the Turtle Wax on the whole part of seat base. Waited for 10 seconds.
3. Rubbed on the seat gently with the brush provided for over half a minute until the foam disappeared.
4. Tried my best to dry it with a fresh micro fibre cloth.

Result:
Even after it was dry, the seat base remained the same as the picture in my original post. With the existing stains, it added some more in a pattern that I sprayed the foam with discolouration.

It worked well on the beige part of the door trim in removing a stain. This wasn’t on fabric.

Mistakes I believe I made:
1. Didn’t vacuum
I believe cleaning the seat thoroughly with a micro fibre cloth will only remove so much existing dust.
2. I didn’t shake the bottle before applying the foam, thus the foam didn’t spread in the y-axis but spread in a z-axis on the seat base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Fabric seats catch dust and store them
You are right. I have watched several videos from Ammo NYC & Chrisfix before deciding to get this product & have a go at it myself. These guys make it look so easy, even with all the information they share & with all of the precautions, something is always amiss & I made a mess of it.

My questions to the experts
1. Do I try again with the same product?
2. If yes, then any changes in the procedure, without still possessing the vacuum cleaner?
3. Or just leave it as is & go ahead with getting seat covers? As I planned on getting them once I get rid of the stains.

Thanks,
Neo

Last edited by neo_narender : 20th February 2021 at 05:09. Reason: Added a few more details.
neo_narender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 06:08   #11186
Senior - BHPian

Could anybody recommend me a good filler wax that could hide minor swirl marks.
Old 9th March 2021, 17:26   #11187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Could anybody recommend me a good filler wax that could hide minor swirl marks.
I think Autoglym Super Resin Polish is probably the best!
Old 9th March 2021, 18:13   #11188
BHPian

Quote:
My questions to the experts
1. Do I try again with the same product?
2. If yes, then any changes in the procedure, without still possessing the vacuum cleaner?
3. Or just leave it as is & go ahead with getting seat covers? As I planned on getting them once I get rid of the stains.

Thanks,
Neo
I would suggest not using the same product again as it will spread the stain even more. From the looks of it, the fabric is holding too much dirt. My suggestion would be take lukewarm water in a sprayer bottle, put 5-6 drops of prill liquid or any APC in it, spray on to the seats. Use an old toothbrush to agitate the surface. Once done, use a wet vacuum to suck out the water from the seat. As you don't have a vacuum cleaner with you, use as many dry microfiber cloths to press and wipe the water out. You might have to repeat the process with just water after that to remove any remaining dissolved dirt

Last edited by jothishX : 9th March 2021 at 18:16.
jothishX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 18:21   #11189
Senior - BHPian

I bought another gallon of Meg's APC, and this is really great (especially for interiors)
Quote:
How does one try to keep their stock fabric seats clean?
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_2995.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 08:19   #11190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I bought another gallon of Meg's APC, and this is really great (especially for interiors)
Is it equally good on exterior surfaces as well?
I remember there was another Megs APC that used to be Pink/maroon coloured and worked really well. Is it the same thing or its different?
Also if you can share the link to buy this it would be appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks