Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2021, 14:34   #11386
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
I’ve been using Proklear RAW Xtreme CX waterless wash for the past six months and noticed my finger tips getting dry/cracked/peeling.

I’m not sure if it has anything to do with the product but I can’t think of anything else. My left hand fingers are absolutely fine.

Would like to know if anyone else had a similar experience. Also, can it be something like I’m using a wrong dilution ratio and thus more concentrated solution?
Please use purpose made nitrile gloves before handling any car care product, waterless washes contain mild solvents and can be quite alkaline in some cases, always protect your hands first. You can get these very easily from Amazon/local pharmacies.
AJ56 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 12:14   #11387
Senior - BHPian

Is it ok to use bug and tar remover or iron remover for the stubborn dirt on the lower part of the car without rubbing it?
Old 18th October 2021, 13:49   #11388
BHPian

Why not pressurized water? But, to answer the question you asked, yes, you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Is it ok to use bug and tar remover or iron remover for the stubborn dirt on the lower part of the car without rubbing it?
Old 18th October 2021, 14:10   #11389
BHPian

Quote:
Yes absolutely fine but first try with a pressure washer as it’s much gentler on the paint, also you must wipe these off within a few mins otherwise it can stain the clear if left on for long.
Old 18th October 2021, 15:25   #11390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Why not pressurized water? But, to answer the question you asked, yes, you can!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Yes absolutely fine but first try with a pressure washer as it’s much gentler on the paint, also you must wipe these off within a few mins otherwise it can stain the clear if left on for long.
I tried twice with foam and pressure washer but it didnt come off. It looked clean but when I ran my hand towards the bottom I could feel it and in better light see it too.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210926_004440.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210925_232743.jpg  

Last edited by straight6 : 18th October 2021 at 15:26.
Old 18th October 2021, 16:02   #11391
Distinguished - BHPian

A pressure washer on gritty dirt has an element of sandblasting! Don't imagine that it is gentle.
Old 18th October 2021, 17:32   #11392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A pressure washer on gritty dirt has an element of sandblasting! Don't imagine that it is gentle.
It’s the safest way to clean dirty paintwork by far, I’ve never seen pressure washers cause scratching even on the softest Jap/Korean clearcoats, paints that are so soft you’ll induce micro marring just by lightly touching them with your finger.

Quote:
I tried twice with foam and pressure washer but it didnt come off. It looked clean but when I ran my hand towards the bottom I could feel it and in better light see it too.
Then try with tar and iron removers, sometimes even these aren’t enough and a mild abrasive is required to get the contamination off completely. I’ve seen paint that’s protected periodically with either a wax or sealant generally is easier to clean as there’s a microscopic film between the clearcoat and the elements that attack it. Cheers.
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 19:17   #11393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Then try with tar and iron removers, sometimes even these aren’t enough and a mild abrasive is required to get the contamination off completely. I’ve seen paint that’s protected periodically with either a wax or sealant generally is easier to clean as there’s a microscopic film between the clearcoat and the elements that attack it. Cheers.
I had applied turtle wax seal n shine before the rains and I do have clay bars so I'll try with that if the iron remover doesn't work. Its known to work well on rims.
Old 18th October 2021, 22:12   #11394
BHPian

Quote:
I had applied turtle wax seal n shine before the rains and I do have clay bars so I'll try with that if the iron remover doesn't work. Its known to work well on rims.
I’d say avoid clay unless you plan to polish afterward as it leaves fine scratches behind, try with a fine polish like meguiar’s Ultimate polish/Carpro Essence first and if that doesn’t do it step up to a compound. Worst case you’ll have to wetsand with 2500/3000.
Old 11th November 2021, 20:37   #11395

Just wanted to share a good, positive experience with an onsite detailing service, Mumbai. I have no commercial interests and the only intent is to appreciate and spread the word about a satisfactory experience.

Name: Wow My Car
Contact Number: Aamir, 7862050607

I have a white Maruti SX4 which was not washed/cleaned professionally since the onset of the pandemic and the ensuing lockdowns. Was very keen to have the interiors thoroughly cleaned and detailed, in particular. Through Google search and scanning of reviews, happened to get in touch with Aamir from Wow My Car- a doorstep car detailing service. Post the conversation, I was sold and fixed up the appointment for Sunday, 17-Oct-2021

Aamir and his teammate showed up on time armed with all the tools, material. They need a power connection point in the vicinity of the car, some free space around the car, and preferably a tap with running water around. Rest all is managed by them. Will do the pictures do the talking.

Positives:
01. Very friendly demeanor, knowledgeable and willing to take all questions
02. End outcome is very good. The car looked squeaky clean, polished inside out at the end of the session
03. Good attention to detail
04. Reasonable pricing

What could be better:
01. Some of the cleaning/polishing material used could be of better brands
02. Took a very long time with 2 people working. Towards the end, there was some fatigue factor kicking in for me as well. The guys were going on, well well past the lunch hours and I was almost feeling guilty about it! Probably need a 3 person team
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-10.after5.jpeg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-09.before5.jpeg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-08.after4.jpeg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-07.before4.jpeg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-06.after3.jpeg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-05.before3.jpeg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-04.after2.jpeg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-03.before2.jpeg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-02.after1.jpeg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-01.before1.jpeg  

congruent.cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 01:52   #11396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by congruent.cars View Post
Just wanted to share a good, positive experience with an onsite detailing service, Mumbai. I have no commercial interests and the only intent is to appreciate and spread the word about a satisfactory experience.

Name: Wow My Car
Contact Number: Aamir, 7862050607
Always nice to hear about a satisfactory outcome. Correct me if I’m wrong, but in the second last shot of the pedals, the brake pedal seems to have a lot of trim dressing on it, this is a major safety hazard as your foot can easily slip off during hard braking and cause an accident. One of the basics of good detailing practice is to never apply trim dressing on the pedals, gear shifter, handbrake and steering wheel as these are all points of physical contact.

Last edited by AJ56 : 13th November 2021 at 01:54.
Old 20th November 2021, 20:08   #11397
Distinguished - BHPian

Bought this Sheen Branded 800 GSM microfiber from Boodmo. It may not be the largest or most plush, but for the price(Rs. 279 for 3 pieces), it's value is unbeatable.

Much better than the regular microfibers IMO. Didn't like the lower GSM variants that much.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20211120_184437.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20211120_184444.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20211120_184519.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20211120_190332.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20211120_190401.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20211120_190408.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20211120_190413.jpg

Link: Sheen 800GSM

Last edited by Leoshashi : 20th November 2021 at 20:11. Reason: Adding link to product
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 22:39   #11398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Bought this Sheen Branded 800 GSM microfiber from Boodmo.
Thanks @Leoshashi for this. I just placed an order. Amazon is having the same item from the same seller on deal of the day today for 350 :P

I had bought a single 800 gsm one like this for about 400 more than a year ago. Even if these are not 800 gsm, they are still vfm.
jothishX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 16:01   #11399
Senior - BHPian

So this weekend I decided to detail my wife's 4 year old car that she inherited recently. Car used to be parked in a covered porch in Shillong (where it rains a lot) cleaned by the driver, it had its own share of dings, scratches and swirls. This is what I did..
1. Wash with shampoo
2. Mother's clay
3. Turtle wax Finishing polish
4. Collinite 845

And this is how it looked after I finished A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20211121_152909.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20211121_152840.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20211121_152758.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20211121_151203.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20211121_150732.jpg
goandude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 15:48   #11400
BHPian

Our family also owns a used and abused 3rd owner 2013 Amaze that has more pinholes on it's paint than parts in the car.

It has quite a few scrapes and dents. Paintwork is also not much cared for so it has it's fair share of scratches.

I had borrowed a rotary machine from Sai_Sailendra, you might know him from his magnum opus of a thread linked HERE (My experience with Car Care products; How I Ceramic-Coated my Vento at home).

Spent a weekend at my relatives place where the amaze is kept, and coincidentally I was carrying the Rotary, Cutting compound, Finishing compound and some pads in my Safari .

Decided to experiment on the Black Honda Amaze.

This is how the aged and tired paint was looking earlier. Also notice the BIG scrape . Luckily it was in the clear coat itself.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-before.jpg

Didn't wash the car or anything. Just washed that one panel with a wash mitt and got to compounding it. Used a Rupes Foam pad. And WaveX cutting compound.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-during.jpg\

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-during2.jpg

for better comparison.

Had my aunt's pets for company.
They were hustling around and watched keenly.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-brown1.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-brown2.jpg

It was DIY day in the house and while me and my cousin were working on the Amaze, My grandpa and younger cousin worked on the 800.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-japs.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-800.jpg

Once all the scratches were gone in the compounding step.

The cutting compound had rid the paint of defects and scratches but had left the paint hazy. A somewhat milky look. It's how it works. This is where the polishing step comes in.

Switched to a large foam pad that was softer than the older rupes pad and started polishing with Menzerna 3000.

Once I went over the entire panel with that. The results were simply mind blowing. I never in a thousand years expected the Amaze to have such good looking paint.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-after.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-after2.jpg

for better perspective

Last edited by viXit : 30th November 2021 at 15:52.
viXit is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed