Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Old 10th October 2021, 14:34   #11386
BHPian

Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Iíve been using Proklear RAW Xtreme CX waterless wash for the past six months and noticed my finger tips getting dry/cracked/peeling.

Iím not sure if it has anything to do with the product but I canít think of anything else. My left hand fingers are absolutely fine.

Would like to know if anyone else had a similar experience. Also, can it be something like Iím using a wrong dilution ratio and thus more concentrated solution?
Please use purpose made nitrile gloves before handling any car care product, waterless washes contain mild solvents and can be quite alkaline in some cases, always protect your hands first. You can get these very easily from Amazon/local pharmacies.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 12:14   #11387
Senior - BHPian

Is it ok to use bug and tar remover or iron remover for the stubborn dirt on the lower part of the car without rubbing it?
Old 18th October 2021, 13:49   #11388
BHPian

Why not pressurized water? But, to answer the question you asked, yes, you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Is it ok to use bug and tar remover or iron remover for the stubborn dirt on the lower part of the car without rubbing it?
Old 18th October 2021, 14:10   #11389
BHPian

Quote:
Yes absolutely fine but first try with a pressure washer as itís much gentler on the paint, also you must wipe these off within a few mins otherwise it can stain the clear if left on for long.
Old 18th October 2021, 15:25   #11390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Why not pressurized water? But, to answer the question you asked, yes, you can!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Yes absolutely fine but first try with a pressure washer as it’s much gentler on the paint, also you must wipe these off within a few mins otherwise it can stain the clear if left on for long.
I tried twice with foam and pressure washer but it didnt come off. It looked clean but when I ran my hand towards the bottom I could feel it and in better light see it too.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210926_004440.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210925_232743.jpg  

Last edited by straight6 : 18th October 2021 at 15:26.
Old 18th October 2021, 16:02   #11391
Distinguished - BHPian

A pressure washer on gritty dirt has an element of sandblasting! Don't imagine that it is gentle.
Old 18th October 2021, 17:32   #11392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A pressure washer on gritty dirt has an element of sandblasting! Don't imagine that it is gentle.
Itís the safest way to clean dirty paintwork by far, Iíve never seen pressure washers cause scratching even on the softest Jap/Korean clearcoats, paints that are so soft youíll induce micro marring just by lightly touching them with your finger.

Quote:
I tried twice with foam and pressure washer but it didnt come off. It looked clean but when I ran my hand towards the bottom I could feel it and in better light see it too.
Then try with tar and iron removers, sometimes even these arenít enough and a mild abrasive is required to get the contamination off completely. Iíve seen paint thatís protected periodically with either a wax or sealant generally is easier to clean as thereís a microscopic film between the clearcoat and the elements that attack it. Cheers.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 19:17   #11393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Then try with tar and iron removers, sometimes even these arenít enough and a mild abrasive is required to get the contamination off completely. Iíve seen paint thatís protected periodically with either a wax or sealant generally is easier to clean as thereís a microscopic film between the clearcoat and the elements that attack it. Cheers.
I had applied turtle wax seal n shine before the rains and I do have clay bars so I'll try with that if the iron remover doesn't work. Its known to work well on rims.
Old 18th October 2021, 22:12   #11394
BHPian

Quote:
I had applied turtle wax seal n shine before the rains and I do have clay bars so I'll try with that if the iron remover doesn't work. Its known to work well on rims.
Iíd say avoid clay unless you plan to polish afterward as it leaves fine scratches behind, try with a fine polish like meguiarís Ultimate polish/Carpro Essence first and if that doesnít do it step up to a compound. Worst case youíll have to wetsand with 2500/3000.

Most Viewed