Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2022, 01:33   #11416
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
After 9 months of use, my bottle of Turtle hardshell wax, Turtle hybrid ceramic spray and the 3M shampoo have run dry. My experience with the products has been very good, especially the ease of use and the end results. For change sake, I was wondering if I should try Meguiar's products this time. If anyone has tried these, please share your experience.

MEGUIAR'S Nxt Generation Car Wash

MEGUIAR'S Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax

MEGUIAR'S G200416 Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax

So far, I have avoided Collinite 845 as I understand it is cumbersome to use for a lazy guy. Should I continue to stick to the easy-use liquid waxes or switch to this one?
COLLINITE LIQUID INSULATOR WAX 845
First off if you’re happy with the products, keep using them. Only change I’d make is to switch to the megs nxt shampoo as it’s much better at lubrication than 3M.

Keep in mind liquid waxes generally last longer than spray waxes, although an SiO2 spray wax will last longer than a carnauba based liquid wax like 845.

845 is a good liquid wax but doesn’t last more than 25-30 days, and also has minimal filling ability (read hide swirls and add temporary gloss). 845 is very easy to apply unlike their 476 double coat paste wax which is a royal pain to buff if you let it flash.

Out of the ones mentioned, I’d recommend megs hybrid ceramic liquid wax as it will last the longest and has decent filling ability (turtle waxes also fill defects very well which you’ve been using until now) Cheers.

Last edited by AJ56 : 4th January 2022 at 01:36.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 08:50   #11417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
. How does it look?
I have used this product and even recommended some of my friends to use this. Can you please share the place where you are getting this rate? I picked up the same one for close to Rs. 8000 (inc. of GST).

The one problem with this is the plastic gun. An easy fix is to get the attachment replaced with a brass fitting. Any local fitter should be able to do it.
Old 14th January 2022, 10:07   #11418
BHPian

I have a Karcher K1 high pressure washer. Can anyone recommend me a decent foam nozzle to connect it with ?
Old 16th January 2022, 17:28   #11419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
I have a Karcher K1 high pressure washer. Can anyone recommend me a decent foam nozzle to connect it with ?
I’m assuming by foam nozzle you mean foam cannon. There are many great cannons you can buy, the MTM Hydro PF22.2 is the gold standard of foam cannons, one of the best you can buy. Other good ones are Adams Mega foam, Griots garage, Chemical guys, etc.

Main thing you want to ensure is you have a quick connect to Karcher adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.in/JPT-Foam-Lance...%2C330&sr=8-13

This allows you to use almost any foam cannon as most come with a quick connect type fitting, finding a Karcher specific fitting is difficult and ends up limiting your options. Cheers.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 11:58   #11420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I’m assuming by foam nozzle you mean foam cannon. There are many great cannons you can buy, the MTM Hydro PF22.2 is the gold standard of foam cannons, one of the best you can buy. Other good ones are Adams Mega foam, Griots garage, Chemical guys, etc.

Main thing you want to ensure is you have a quick connect to Karcher adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.in/JPT-Foam-Lance...%2C330&sr=8-13

This allows you to use almost any foam cannon as most come with a quick connect type fitting, finding a Karcher specific fitting is difficult and ends up limiting your options. Cheers.
That adapter is fine but this MTM Hydro PF22.2 is 10k INR on Amazon. I am looking for something below 2k INR. Its just brass and plastic right.
Old 17th January 2022, 16:12   #11421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
That adapter is fine but this MTM Hydro PF22.2 is 10k INR on Amazon. I am looking for something below 2k INR. Its just brass and plastic right.
It’s the quality and precision of the brass parts that you’re paying for, also the brand. 10k is actually a great deal for the MTM, last I checked it was 17k. But I do understand it is one of the most expensive foam cannons out there.

For 2k I’d suggest look at JTP foam cannons on Amazon, avoid the super cheap 1200-1500 buck ones as they tend to fail within 1-2 weeks and there’s no warranty on them. JTP is an Indian brand but better quality than the Chinese ones.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 00:01   #11422
BHPian

Is there any kind of polish/wax which provides protection from UV? Need it for hard top.

Already have carnauba wax but I suppose that's not apt for the material.
Old 19th January 2022, 21:54   #11423
BHPian

Hello Bhpians, I just received my Rupes LHR 15 Mark III DA Polisher with Basic Kit for DIY on my personal cars. It contains 1 DA polisher, 2 - 250 ml polish compounds (coarse and fine), 2 polishing pads and 2 Micro Fibre towels.

Did a lot of research and finally bought Rupes basis on reviews and availability, the other brand considered was Flex.

Will try it out next week and will post the results.

For the benefit of Team-Bhp members, who are looking for DA polishers and related products, below is the details of authorised Rupes distributor in India,you may reach out to Mr Viswanath Rao from RIO, Kozhikode. Ph: 9895020320. Viswanath was very welcoming and prompt in clearing a lot of product and technical queries.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-4c8c2cd20db9443aa83a8b6f80095a77.jpeg  

kapilsharma80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 02:03   #11424
BHPian

Hi People,

So, i have bought a new car recently and with that bought some sort of car maintaining stuff: carnauba wax, shampoo, polish, etc. However, i'm still in dilemma - how often one should wash a car with shampoo, apply wax/polish? I heard over doing of shampooing and waxing can be baleful.

I'm seeing people sharing their thoughts on maintaining/detailing a car over here. Hence, would like to see some thoughts on this as well.
Old 24th January 2022, 20:41   #11425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Is there any kind of polish/wax which provides protection from UV? Need it for hard top.

Already have carnauba wax but I suppose that's not apt for the material.
Keep wax away as it’ll leave white stains on exterior trim/vinyl/plastics. You can use any of the trim protection products like Gyeon Cure, Meguiar’s Trim Protectant, etc. if you want longer lasting protection, look at trim ceramic coatings like Gyeon Q2 Trim. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepesh Goel View Post
Hi People,

So, i have bought a new car recently and with that bought some sort of car maintaining stuff: carnauba wax, shampoo, polish, etc. However, i'm still in dilemma - how often one should wash a car with shampoo, apply wax/polish? I heard over doing of shampooing and waxing can be baleful.

I'm seeing people sharing their thoughts on maintaining/detailing a car over here. Hence, would like to see some thoughts on this as well.
You should always use the shampoo (diluted) when washing, assuming you’re washing safely there is no harm in doing it as frequently as you wish, it’s healthy for the paint in fact as it prevents a buildup of corrosive contaminants. Just ensure it’s a quality shampoo which is pH neutral.

You want to apply the wax every month or whenever a drop in water repellency is noticed. You cannot harm the finish in any way by frequent application, plenty of people use a wax after each wash, provided you have the time.

Polish is something that contains abrasives and is used to remove minor defects in the paint, this is best done with a machine, and only done when there is a need for paint correction.
AJ56 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 21:07   #11426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepesh Goel View Post
Hi People,

Your instincts tell you that you should not wash too often and that is correct.

Cars as long as they are made with metal do not like much water on them. Whatever pH balance the shampoo makers claim, it will still dull the paint and rust the metal if the vehicle is water washed too often.

Wax:
Wax the vehicle once a year or twice a year by hand depends on how much you use it.

Wash : Depends on how muddy it is and stuck on dirt that needs shampoo. Preferably once a month or less, sometimes you can get away with just washing the undercarriage that is muddy.

Clean : You can use a waterless wash to keep the vehicle clean once a week. It's cheap and easy to use, keeps paint as well as plastic bits nice and shiny.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 10:58   #11427
BHPian

What's an easy way to remove these stickers from windshield? I have tried Rubbing alcohol and wd 40 but it's gum seems quite strong. What else to use?
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20220218_181828.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2022, 10:59   #11428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
What's a easy way to remove these stickers from windshield? I have tried Rubbing alcohol and wd 40 but it's gum seems quite strong. What else to use?
You can use 3M GPAC (General Purpose Adhesive cleaner) or Sonax Adhesive remover. For glass, you can also you a blade / metal piece to remove the residue.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 12:08   #11429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's an easy way to remove these stickers from windshield? I have tried Rubbing alcohol and wd 40 but it's gum seems quite strong. What else to use?
goo gone + plastic scraper blades. Worked for me for all such residues.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 12:33   #11430
BHPian

Quote:
Safe but higher effort option: tar/glue remover, failing which medium cut rubbing compound which works 100% of the time, will require some buffing though.

Low effort but higher skill option: use a fine razor blade that is used for shaving, you need to know what you’re doing as its easy to nick your glass, but with practice you’ll learn that using at a a low 15-20 degree angle to the glass surface will result in a near perfect cut and perfectly safe sticker removal. Take care not to cut yourself. Cheers.
AJ56 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks