Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2023, 16:46   #11596
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNerd View Post
When I purchased my car in January of last year, I was extremely excited to detail it myself. I spent a lot of time researching and ultimately decided on purchasing Collinite 845 to wax my vehicle regularly. I even applied it twice within the first six months at three-month intervals. However, it's been over a year now, and I haven't used Collinite 845 since. This weekend, I'm planning to redo the waxing process, but I have a question for the experts. Previously, I only applied the wax after washing and drying the car, without using clay. However, now that the car is 1.5 years old, I'm wondering if I should use clay before applying wax. I've heard that improper claying can cause swirls, so I don't want to do it unless it's necessary. Please advise me on whether or not I should use clay in this situation
After 1.5 years I think a clay job would be required. But to check, shampoo the car and after it dries, rub your hand along the various panels, a rough feel indicates contamination of the clear coat and thus clay.

Use adequate lube and your clay job would be easier and not damaging to the paint.

In my experience Collinite 845 lasts 3 to 4 months depending on weather and parking conditions.
goandude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 11:57   #11597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
New products being considered:
  • Dodo juice rinseless wash
  • Wolfgang tyre and wheel cleaner
  • Pinnacle black onyx tire gel
  • Wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer as pre-wax
  • Poorboys SSR1 swirl remover
  • Auto Finesse Hide Leather Conditioner
  • Will retain 845 as wax, 3M foam interior cleaner etc

Question is regarding glaze specific to white color. What ever I do, the white doesn't get to a satisfactory level compared to my dark coloured cars, and I was suggested to use a glaze. I am considering Poorboys white diamond as it is claimed to be specifically formulated for white colour. Given how a glaze works, I'm inclined to believe their claims. Any other suggestions? Also, what is the sequence when applying a swirl remover and a cleaner like Wolfgang polish enhancer?

Thanks!
The pre wax cleaner polish and swirl remover are doing the same thing, no need for both. Any colour, be it white/black/red etc. is covered in a thick transparent layer of paint called clearcoat. Any paint protection we use, is over this clearcoat. All the swirls and light scratches you see are in the top part of this clearcoat.

Any product that claims to be specially formulated for any specific colour, unless they’re referring to vintage cars with single stage paint, is just marketing.

To correct white or any colour for that matter, follow the correct steps of wash - chemical decon - clay - machine polish - IPA - protect to get the results and gloss you’re looking for.

Instead of a glaze which is full of fillers that will wash off within a few days, use a fine cut polish like Carpro Essence/Menzerna 3500 with a soft foam pad for permanent correction. Follow with 25-30% IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and use your paint protection. Carpro CQuartz Lite is an excellent spray type coating that will last quite a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNerd View Post
I'm wondering if I should use clay before applying wax. I've heard that improper claying can cause swirls, so I don't want to do it unless it's necessary. Please advise me on whether or not I should use clay in this situation
Even proper claying will cause marring. Clay is an abrasive that will leave fine swirls in the paint, that’s how it’s able pull contamination from the clearcoat. You can try clay towels/mitts as they scratch a little less but I find you get the best results with the standard blue (fine) claybar.

Clay induced swirls are very easy to polish out, just use a fine cut polish like Carpro Essence/Menzerna 3000/3500 and a soft foam pad on a polisher. Just make sure to use plenty of lube/quick detailer when claying, spray liberally and repeatedly such that the clay is always gliding over the paint and never grabbing it.

As regards the need for clay, just feel your paintwork with your hand and if it feels anything short of smooth as glass, it has bonded contamination that needs to be removed via clay. If you have tar and ferrous contamination, it’s a good idea to wash the car and use tar and ferrous removers prior to using clay.
AJ56 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 03:06   #11598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Cross posting from a different thread: Process of cleaning and applying some protection to my car.
How has been your experience with turtle wax ice sealant?

I am on a lookout for a spray wax. Just got my vehicle detailed and waxed. Planning out it's maintenance routine.
2TR-FE is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 16:48   #11599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
How has been your experience with turtle wax ice sealant?

I am on a lookout for a spray wax. Just got my vehicle detailed and waxed. Planning out it's maintenance routine.
TurtleWax has been serving me just fine - I'm probably on 3rd or 4th bottle!
Old 9th May 2023, 06:25   #11600
BHPian

I have a 13-year-old Mica white / "Scorpio" white Altis. Have been polishing her periodically at home. Hence the overall paint has held well. The beige interiors however have faded out over time.

I primarily intend to get the interiors brightened up. Would also like to help the exteriors. What options / permutations and combinations do I have?
Old 12th May 2023, 20:15   #11601
BHPian

Any alternative to Collinite 845. last time, i bought a bottle for 954 re from Impex india. Talking of inflation, they are retailing it for 2000+ now. Off course, the bigger problem is it being "out of stock" for last month or so since i started tracking.

Kindly help.
Old 12th May 2023, 22:20   #11602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Any alternative to Collinite 845. last time, i bought a bottle for 954 re from Impex india. Talking of inflation, they are retailing it for 2000+ now. Off course, the bigger problem is it being "out of stock" for last month or so since i started tracking.

Kindly help.
Check greenzcare, it's in stock. Get one, it'll last quite some time. I don't think there is any alternative to this one. Yes, prices have increased but not as steep like Formula 1 Carnauba Wax. They have almost doubled price in last 2-3 years.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 23:42   #11603
BHPian

Hello People,

I'm a proud owner of White Creta 2021 and its now 1.5 year old. I have been trying hard to keep it in a good shape with my weekly or fortnightly regime of washing and waxing. However, have not used any kind of abrasive material till now like polish or compound.
Now, i have started noticing plenty of fine swirl marks and few light scratches as well and somehow it starts bothering me when ever i wash my car. I been contemplating for some time now to use light polish to remove or fade away those swirl marks and scratches but confused to use any abrasive material as i read that they tend to lighten the strength of clear coat every time you any abrasive.

Let me know your views on this and need your recommendation on a good and affordable light car polish.
Old 8th June 2023, 12:56   #11604
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I'm unable to access BringingBest.in website. Is the business closed down? I hope not, as it has been my go-to place for buying detailing products online.
Old 8th June 2023, 17:28   #11605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepesh Goel View Post
Hello People,

I'm a proud owner of White Creta 2021 and its now 1.5 year old. I have been trying hard to keep it in a good shape with my weekly or fortnightly regime of washing and waxing. However, have not used any kind of abrasive material till now like polish or compound.
Now, i have started noticing plenty of fine swirl marks and few light scratches as well and somehow it starts bothering me when ever i wash my car. I been contemplating for some time now to use light polish to remove or fade away those swirl marks and scratches but confused to use any abrasive material as i read that they tend to lighten the strength of clear coat every time you any abrasive.

Let me know your views on this and need your recommendation on a good and affordable light car polish.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showt...errerid=574755 (Review: Poorboy's White Diamond + Turtle Wax Ceramic Wax + Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating)

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Guys, I'm unable to access BringingBest.in website. Is the business closed down? I hope not, as it has been my go-to place for buying detailing products online.
Anything very specific which you are looking for as I found them to be relatively expensive.
That too when we can get most of the detailing stuff online nowadays from other websites.
Maybe if you can share what you are looking for , members can share an alternate way to procure it.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th June 2023 at 17:47. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 8th June 2023, 18:23   #11606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Anything very specific which you are looking for as I found them to be relatively expensive.
That too when we can get most of the detailing stuff online nowadays from other websites.
Maybe if you can share what you are looking for , members can share an alternate way to procure it.
I was looking for Collinite 845. As of now, Greenzcarcare seems to be having it in stock but I've had a bitter experience in the past so not inclined to go with them.
Old 8th June 2023, 18:39   #11607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
I was looking for Collinite 845. As of now, Greenzcarcare seems to be having it in stock but I've had a bitter experience in the past so not inclined to go with them.
Collinite fan Eh
I guess you prefer the candy looks of a waxed car than the finish a sealant would offer . Nice.
845 is a tough one to procure especially when most of the folks have moved on to sealants and ceramic sprays .
I have their phone number which you can try calling in and verify if they are still in business. Mr. Sanjay Mobile:-9971199457 .
If you are particular about 845 why dont you give GreenzCarCare another chance.
I have dealt with them multiple times and so far the experience has been Ok.
If you have any particular requests let them know in advance and they will be able to accommodate it.

Last edited by Artyom : 8th June 2023 at 18:41.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 13:55   #11608

My Tata Tiago got paint transfer on right side. What can be done for this? There is also a small dent.

Should I go to a detailing shop for this or claim insurance at Tata SC? Any recommendations for Car Detailing Shop in Navi Mumbai?

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1686557972691.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1686557610580.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1686557610622.jpg
Old 14th June 2023, 07:14   #11609
Distinguished - BHPian

First wash the area with car shampoo. Then use a rubbing compound to remove the paint. You will get a clear picture of the damage. Then you can decide if you can live with it or get it repainted.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 14th June 2023 at 17:26. Reason: Minor typo
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 22:22   #11610

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
First wash the area with car shampoo. Then use a rubbing compound to remove the paint. You will get a clear picture of the damage. Then you can decide if you can live with it or get it repainted.
Thanks for your reply. I visited few detailing shops near me and one quoted Rs.2000 while other quoted Rs. 800 for removing red paint. But as there are some deep scratches and dents I visited the Tata SC. And will get the repair done under insurance claim.

Most Viewed