Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 09:32   #3016
Senior - BHPian

You can try diesel(but do a spot test on the transferred paint area first)

and any mild rubbing compound will easily remove any/all the paint transfer!
Old 27th August 2010, 10:01   #3017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
You can try diesel(but do a spot test on the transferred paint area first)

and any mild rubbing compound will easily remove any/all the paint transfer!
Sohail, THanks for your inputs. Rubbing compound removed all the paint

But I have hairline scratches on the bumper. Not cutting through the clear coat.

Does wet sanding [ paper 2000 ] help in masking the lines, after which I will try a waxing and the polish on the same.

Ideas are highly appreicated.
Old 27th August 2010, 12:59   #3018
Senior - BHPian

Don't wetsand!

if its a factory paint there then it is really hard and thin! you might sand through the clearcoat easily!

+ since its hard, sanding will level it out but it will leave its own scratches behind which are very difficult to remove as the paint is hard!

+ 2000grit sandpaper is for orange peel removal. 3000 grit sandpaper leaves a more uniform finish.(but preferably sanding should be done on repainted panels as the bodyshop paint is soft and thick giving a more 'safety margin' )

but I'd say stay away from wet sanding if you have factory paint.

If your nail is getting stuck in that scratch on running your nail across the scratch, then its possibly extending to the deeper layers of clearcoat which is just above the base color coat and removing that scratch = extensive clearcoat removal, which is super risky!

Last edited by sohail99 : 27th August 2010 at 13:13.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:04   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone ordered Amway Silicone Glaze via ebay?

I found this link and it looks genuine but wanted to check with you all about the right price here eBay India: Amway - Silicon Glaze for Cleanning (item 220597424484 end time 26-Sep-2010 14:06:23 IST)

its 399/- INR + 30 INR/- shipping, does the price look ok?
Old 27th August 2010, 15:29   #3020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Has anyone ordered Amway Silicone Glaze via ebay?

I found this link and it looks genuine but wanted to check with you all about the right price here eBay India: Amway - Silicon Glaze for Cleanning (item 220597424484 end time 26-Sep-2010 14:06:23 IST)

its 399/- INR + 30 INR/- shipping, does the price look ok?

I would say , better off purchasing it at a nearby store than paying for the shipping etc. Its 400 bucks at the store for 500 ml.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:31   #3021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
I would say , better off purchasing it at a nearby store than paying for the shipping etc. Its 400 bucks at the store for 500 ml.
Any recommendations on where to procure this from in Delhi/NCR except from Reliance mart in malls coz the parking itself is 30 bucks
Old 27th August 2010, 15:41   #3022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Any recommendations on where to procure this from in Delhi/NCR except from Reliance mart in malls coz the parking itself is 30 bucks

I have seen them in supermarkets here in Chennai, or a good car boutique shops. Hope the same out there.

(or)

You can find an amway distributor near you place and ask him to get it for you. You can also get the Car wash which is really good from them.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:57   #3023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
You can find an amway distributor near you place and ask him to get it for you. You can also get the Car wash which is really good from them.
Never give this distributor idea to anyone ever again! I'm receiving back to back calls from all over ncr now
Finally someone in East Delhi called me up and was ready to deliver the products at my doorstep provided I purchase Silicone Glaze & Car Wash that too 2 each. I had read good reviews about the Car Wash so no issue with getting 2 of those but just skeptic that Silicone Glaze doesn't expire soon. As per the guy I talked to he said that nothing's going to go wrong with it for at least 2 years.
Finally I ordered 2 Silicone Glaze (375/-) & 2 Car Wash (196/-), total = 1142

Hope it was an ok deal

Anything I should check as and when the products arrive? Like expiry date or anything else to ensure that it isn't fake (which I don't really think it would be)

Last edited by fine69 : 27th August 2010 at 15:58.
Old 27th August 2010, 20:13   #3024
BHPian

Have a doubt here. Is it advisable to use a car shampoo to wash the car? I plan to wash the car once in a week or two. In that case, how frequently can i use the shampoo. (PS: Have done teflon coating in my car).
Old 27th August 2010, 20:16   #3025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Have a doubt here. Is it advisable to use a car shampoo to wash the car? I plan to wash the car once in a week or two. In that case, how frequently can i use the shampoo. (PS: Have done teflon coating in my car).
Washing a car once a week should be enough - if you can keep it polished & waxed, and dust the car daily (with jopasu/california duster).
You can use a car shampoo (Formula 1/turtle wax/sonax/amway/waxpol are some of the brands available) while washing your car - and use the two bucket method.

Also - is it a true dupont teflon treatment that has been performed on your car or just a machine pass of a polishing compound w/wax which 99.99% of the dealers pass off as 'teflon coating'?
Old 27th August 2010, 20:19   #3026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Car shampoo is definitely advisable and if you plan on washing the car just once in a week or two then I guess you may use a good car shampoo (like turtle wax platinum series performance car wash or amway car wash, which I just ordered ) almost every time without worries. Just be gentle and don't rub too much.
You may refer to the 2 bucket washing method which also explains that you shouldn't rub at one place too much when washing a car.
Old 27th August 2010, 20:27   #3027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Washing a car once a week should be enough - if you can keep it polished & waxed, and dust the car daily (with jopasu/california duster).
You can use a car shampoo (Formula 1/turtle wax/sonax/amway/waxpol are some of the brands available) while washing your car - and use the two bucket method.

Also - is it a true dupont teflon treatment that has been performed on your car or just a machine pass of a polishing compound w/wax which 99.99% of the dealers pass off as 'teflon coating'?
Thank you blackasta. Will be buying the stuffs within a day or two. Also need to buy a good, soft cloth.

I doubt that too and as i was not there at the dealership at that time, was not able to check it!

But i doubt whether it is original after coming through this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1768723-post40.html

Anyways will be verifying the same when i go to the dealership tomorrow(mostly).
Old 27th August 2010, 20:28   #3028
BHPian

A waxing doubt -
While waxing the car with a paste wax like turtle wax, how do you apply the wax at places where the badges are present (the manufacturer name, car brand name. other badges)?
Is it ok if the wax gets onto these parts (I guess they would be metal parts), or should it be avoided like the rubber and plastic parts?
Also, do you apply the wax to the whole car, then start wiping it off, or apply to one part, then remove from the same first before proceeding to another?

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 27th August 2010 at 20:29.
Old 27th August 2010, 20:33   #3029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
A waxing doubt -
While waxing the car with a paste wax like turtle wax, how do you apply the wax at places where the badges are present (the manufacturer name, car brand name. other badges)?
Is it ok if the wax gets onto these parts (I guess they would be metal parts), or should it be avoided like the rubber and plastic parts?
Also, do you apply the wax to the whole car, then start wiping it off, or apply to one part, then remove from the same first before proceeding to another?

The badges are not metallic but chrome plated plastic (at least in low end cars like i10).
It is perfectly OK if a little wax gets deposited in the crevices of the badging. After waxing is done and it is buffed, just use a wooden toothpick to gently take out all the little deposits of wax from the nooks and crannies.

You start applying wax from the roof, move on to hatch/trunk and hood, then the quarter panels, then the 4 doors, finishing on the lower panels. Take a break of 10-15 minutes, and then start buffing in the exact same order you started.

Last edited by blackasta : 27th August 2010 at 20:34.
Old 27th August 2010, 22:48   #3030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The badges are not metallic but chrome plated plastic (at least in low end cars like i10).
It is perfectly OK if a little wax gets deposited in the crevices of the badging. After waxing is done and it is buffed, just use a wooden toothpick to gently take out all the little deposits of wax from the nooks and crannies.

You start applying wax from the roof, move on to hatch/trunk and hood, then the quarter panels, then the 4 doors, finishing on the lower panels. Take a break of 10-15 minutes, and then start buffing in the exact same order you started.
Brilliant You have given me all the info that I needed.
With the rain relenting in Chennai finally, plan to do the job tomorrow. Will give the car a wash to follow up the diesel job I gave it last weekend, then put a quick coat of amway silicon glaze before I indulge in the waxing part.
A final query - After using the silicon glaze, should I wait 24 hours for the waxing part, or can I do it right away? Or is polishing not required at all?
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be thorough. I realize that I have been negligent for the better part of 2 years about maintaining my cars paint job

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks