Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 23:02   #3031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Brilliant You have given me all the info that I needed.
With the rain relenting in Chennai finally, plan to do the job tomorrow. Will give the car a wash to follow up the diesel job I gave it last weekend, then put a quick coat of amway silicon glaze before I indulge in the waxing part.
A final query - After using the silicon glaze, should I wait 24 hours for the waxing part, or can I do it right away? Or is polishing not required at all?
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be thorough. I realize that I have been negligent for the better part of 2 years about maintaining my cars paint job
With the 2 year gap in mind - a thorough job is in order.
What I would suggest is a quick wash and wax for this weekend, and an exhaustive paint correction when the monsoon recedes (planned the same for my car after I take it for 3rd service).
Try to get some clay (jopasu sells them in India Jopasu Car Care Products India).
Then follow a wash-clay-polish (silicon glaze)-wax - (wait for 24 hrs to cure) wax again.
Thats the minimum you should do for your car.
Old 27th August 2010, 23:09   #3032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
With the 2 year gap in mind - a thorough job is in order.
What I would suggest is a quick wash and wax for this weekend, and an exhaustive paint correction when the monsoon recedes (planned the same for my car after I take it for 3rd service).
Try to get some clay (jopasu sells them in India Jopasu Car Care Products India).
Then follow a wash-clay-polish (silicon glaze)-wax - (wait for 24 hrs to cure) wax again.
Thats the minimum you should do for your car.
Point noted.Was going back to previous posts to see if I could get more tips on the process, you ve nicely summarized it here.
Will try my hand at a wash and wax tomorrow, and then put up some pics here if it all goes well. Wish me luck!
Old 28th August 2010, 07:19   #3033
Senior - BHPian

After going though few latest posts i am a little confused as to which polish is better in terms of paint correction THE AMWAY SILICON GLAZE or SONAX AUTO POLISH.Both of them retail at Rs. 400 although the Sonax one is half in quantity (250ML). Also what type of paint correction is it good for. (swirls, haze, scratches et al)
Old 28th August 2010, 07:42   #3034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
After going though few latest posts i am a little confused as to which polish is better in terms of paint correction THE AMWAY SILICON GLAZE or SONAX AUTO POLISH.Both of them retail at Rs. 400 although the Sonax one is half in quantity (250ML). Also what type of paint correction is it good for. (swirls, haze, scratches et al)
Don't go for anything containing Silicon, as it can penetrate your paint from wherever it is even slightly damaged & result in further deterioration. I had been looking at one myself but decided against it.
Old 28th August 2010, 09:00   #3035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Amway glaze is a pure polish(i.e. it has no abrasives) and it contains paint conditioning oils and 'fillers'

therefore it will fill in the minor swirls and make the finish appear glossy!

Sonax polish has a few abrasives in it(abrasive polish) and it abrades slight clearcoat to 'remove' the swirls and micro-marring.
Old 28th August 2010, 12:47   #3036
BHPian

Do car covers induce swirls ? Yes, the car should be dust free when covering...but does the material in contact with the car surface still induce swirls ?
Old 28th August 2010, 13:07   #3037
BHPian

^^ yes , till some extent it will . But there is also an option of dupont car covers.
Old 28th August 2010, 13:15   #3038
BHPian

A quick wash and wax

So took blackasta's advice and went in for the quick wash and wax today morning. I realized quickly, that what he said was true - the 2 year gap had left a lot of work to be done on the car.
I found that the diesel job last weekend had to be done once again to get rid of the remaining 10 to 15% of black marks. I even found a few on the bonnet
Nevertheless, did my best to clean her up, wiped her dry with the quick absorb cloth, and got down to the waxing part.
Word of advice, keep a bottle of water with you if your going to indulge in such kind of activities in Chennai. In spite of it being 7 in the morning, the humidity really got to me after a while.
Applying the wax was a lot easier than the wiping off and buffing part. Used the microfiber cloth from 3m to do that. Took a long long time to satisfactorily get rid of all the wax. I remembered sohail99's post about getting rid of the swirl marks, and started to circle car again and again wiping off residual wax. I viewed the car from every angle, and made sure I had done a thorough job. When it was done had the windows and rubber parts cleaned by the watchman. In the meantime also took the other cleaning cloth from 3m and started giving another wipe down until I was satisfied.
For various reasons this was a far from perfect job -
1) Its my first time, still learning the proper techniques
2) The almost 2 year gap hasnt made it any easier

I picked up a small spray can of WD 40 from ritchie street for around 70 or 80 rs to use it the next time. I am also enquiring about the clay bar from jopasu.
While a lot of work still needs to be done on the car, I am fairly satisfied with todays outcome. Have attached a few snaps. Probably not as mirror like as some of the other cars here, but its a starting point.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-28082010443.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-28082010444.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-28082010447.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-28082010449.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-28082010450.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-28082010451.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-28082010452.jpg  

Old 28th August 2010, 13:20   #3039
BHPian

^^^Great Results , car is looking awesome .

getting 3m clay in a week. any reviews on that ???

Last edited by NOTORIOUS : 28th August 2010 at 13:33.
Old 28th August 2010, 13:52   #3040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
^^^Great Results , car is looking awesome .

getting 3m clay in a week. any reviews on that ???
Thanks.

No idea about 3m clay. Where are you getting it from?

Edit: I spoke to the jopasu sales guys. Apparently the clay bar from them (140 g as per their website) costs Rs 1800! And the courier guys are not ready to ship it.
The local 3m guys here dont have any idea about what a clay bar is. He was like whats a clay box?

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 28th August 2010 at 14:08.
Old 28th August 2010, 15:31   #3041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

No idea about 3m clay. Where are you getting it from?

Edit: I spoke to the jopasu sales guys. Apparently the clay bar from them (140 g as per their website) costs Rs 1800! And the courier guys are not ready to ship it.
The local 3m guys here dont have any idea about what a clay bar is. He was like whats a clay box?
Nice start from you pras.oct25!

meg's 3 x 50 gm clay bars cost $20 (around Rs 1000) - the jopasu one certainly seems overpriced.
Whats the problem with the courier guys?

You might try to get a meg's smooth surface clay kit from 20North (Meguiar's G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit < Automotive Parts < Car Electronics < Electronics : Automotive - Shop in the US from India @ 20North) - costs about 2700 but you get 2 x 50 gm clay bars, 1 megs QD, 1 small bottle of cleaner wax and 1 MF cloth.

Or you can try this too - Mothers 07240 California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System < Automotive Parts < Car Electronics < Electronics : Misc. - Shop in the US from India @ 20North
Old 28th August 2010, 15:39   #3042
BHPian

Quote:
Nice start from you pras.oct25!

meg's 3 x 50 gm clay bars cost $20 (around Rs 1000) - the jopasu one certainly seems overpriced.
Whats the problem with the courier guys?

You might try to get a meg's smooth surface clay kit from 20North (Meguiar's G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit < Automotive Parts < Car Electronics < Electronics : Automotive - Shop in the US from India @ 20North) - costs about 2700 but you get 2 x 50 gm clay bars, 1 megs QD, 1 small bottle of cleaner wax and 1 MF cloth.

Or you can try this too - Mothers 07240 California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System < Automotive Parts < Car Electronics < Electronics : Misc. - Shop in the US from India @ 20North
Thanks blackasta.
Looks like the mothers set is more VFM. 2 clay bars of 160g each. The shipping charges seem insane though. Should see if there are any other alternate options before trying on one of these sites.

EDIT: He said something along the lines of "the courier guys are not ready to send anything that is semi-solid"
Old 28th August 2010, 18:10   #3043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks blackasta.
Looks like the mothers set is more VFM. 2 clay bars of 160g each. The shipping charges seem insane though. Should see if there are any other alternate options before trying on one of these sites.

EDIT: He said something along the lines of "the courier guys are not ready to send anything that is semi-solid"
Lolz - thats a lame excuse man!
I received Collinite wax in courier - don't know whats the problem is in shipping clay!

I can see on the link that the mother's kit has 2 x 40 gm bars.
Old 28th August 2010, 18:22   #3044
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lolz - thats a lame excuse man!
I received Collinite wax in courier - don't know whats the problem is in shipping clay!

I can see on the link that the mother's kit has 2 x 40 gm bars.
May not be, just a recent experience taught me NOT to venture out shipping liquids! There needs to be a decleration etc and extra effort, so maybe cost too hence the reply from them.
Today had gone to Honda service center for a quick work and had all the SA's oogle at my car and commenting- sir you get polish from US?
I had a little fun time explaining to them what is sealant etc and show them. I even had 1 customer come around and ask- "new car?". I said about 3 months old and he was zapped.
We are a RARE breed in india for sure. Saw another black BRAND new car with huge swirls(hidden cause of the polish) and i was so sad for the guy who will get it, though most likely he would hardly care
Saw that the Honda guy apply some Diamond something liquid wax- made in the UK.
Strange that Honda approves this, while they have 3M treatment in their centers! Why not use 3M liquid wax?

Last edited by mkh : 28th August 2010 at 18:23.
Old 28th August 2010, 18:26   #3045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
May not be, just a recent experience taught me NOT to venture out shipping liquids! There needs to be a decleration etc and extra effort, so maybe cost too hence the reply from them.
Yes - I remember the collinite came with a declaration paper with tentative cost of the goods inside the packaging.
Same with the gold class leather cleaner that was shipped to me by 20North.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks