Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 20:18   #3751
BHPian

^^Yes, they are water beads!
Congrats!
More pictures please.
We would love to see the shine you achieved!
Old 9th November 2010, 20:25   #3752
Senior - BHPian

^Nice textbook beading there!!

just keep waxing the car every week or so to keep the paint protected!

Great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
Use my post here to see if the Indian Flex dealers can help !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2056430

For the pads you will need to know the size of the backing plate. For a 6" plate you should not go below 6.5" pads. Also, note that you are better off not interchanging pads across products / application.

Following the color code of the LC pads, if you are getting a six pack then my advice will be to get two orange (for correction/ swirls) and four grey (the grey is good for both applying finishing polish and sealant). I guess this will be the most often used pad. You should be OK with this set.

If you are getting 2 six packs (like I did) you must get the above set and get White, Blue & Red - two each.

For waxing you will have to use hand application (which is recommended) or you could get the red pads. Alternately you could also try out the MF bonnets over a grey pad. I have not tried the bonnet but I have some in the pipeline (only when I feel lazy!).

Remember that pads are consumables and the Velco will weaken with use. Buying individual pads can be expensive, however if you have easy access then do not go over board with stocking up. Hope this helps.

Rgds
Fantastic info!

Sorry tsk, I was like super busy and couldn't reply to your pm!

I agree with Sid regarding the pads! Flex and dewalt unit both take 6.5 inch pads.(fixed 6" backing plate)

If possible, get a few sponge applicator pads too for wax/sealant application(Pinnacle has a set of four for cheap!)

I also have red ccs pads but I kinda find applying wax/sealant by hand, better!(at least some manual labor going in there lol!)

A swirl finder light would be good for search and destroy operations on swirls! or you can get a portable halogen lamp locally, which is even better.

Also, try to get some foam pad cleaning powder like snappy clean etc. It'll really make pad cleaning a breeze!

(we can use 'Vim' for that too as it contains degreasers but I've heard that dishwashing chemicals loosen the adhesive bond between the velcro and the foam. But I use it for spot cleaning in case there is very slight polish residue in there. Never soak them in vim)
Old 9th November 2010, 21:13   #3753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
^^Yes, they are water beads!
Congrats!
More pictures please.
We would love to see the shine you achieved!

Unfortuntely I dont have any other good picture . Now the rain spoiled it to take another. To see some old pics you can look into my garage .
I used to do that once in a while to protect the paint , since i dont have a covered parking.

Is it ok to apply wax polish using normal cotton waste ?
Old 9th November 2010, 22:08   #3754
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Garipagol and Sohail. I shall try getting Quotes for both De Walt and Flex. In any case, will it be advisable to run a stock 110v Polisher using Converter (on 220v)?
Old 9th November 2010, 22:23   #3755
Senior - BHPian

Yes! its definitely possible!

but the step down voltage converters are really huge depending on the power rating!

Eg- For running a 500W 110v polisher unit, you need a converter rated at 500W and those are really big, chunky and heavy. 900W and 1500W ones are even heavier!

Check this out(you will need something like this) - 1500 WATT STEP DOWN TRANSFORMERS, 110220Volts.com,

They are locally available too, but need a lil' hunting down in some big electronics market.
Old 9th November 2010, 22:37   #3756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
Is this the water beads after a wax ?

Attachment 451266

Rain effect after a simple wax polishing over the week end with waxpol scooter polish wax Rs 35 one with some cotton waste
Nice water bead.how long does it bead water after application?
Old 9th November 2010, 23:14   #3757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Yes! its definitely possible!

but the step down voltage converters are really huge depending on the power rating!

Eg- For running a 500W 110v polisher unit, you need a converter rated at 500W and those are really big, chunky and heavy. 900W and 1500W ones are even heavier!

Check this out(you will need something like this) - 1500 WATT STEP DOWN TRANSFORMERS, 110220Volts.com,

They are locally available too, but need a lil' hunting down in some big electronics market.
Thanks for the info Sohail. Going by the size, I think I should resort to what is locally available, especially DeWalt 443. Sohail, since I'm aware of the damage Rotary can cause and I shall be prudent using it, should I go for DeWalt? It comes with official warranty, no hassles of parts, no Converter hassles etc, so many benefits.
Old 10th November 2010, 12:06   #3758
Senior - BHPian

Official warranty, local availability, parts availability is a definite plus!

But if you are buying it, can you get a unit from US?
As you know that flex is the best one out there and since you are buying, you might wanna go for the best one out there.(flex comes in 230v versions too)

I had to buy the Dewalt one due to budget constraints(I was a student then, so had to rely on my pocket money alone to get the DA polisher. Flex was wayyy over my budget)

Though I was really happy to find out that the dewalt unit carries out the task of cutting, polishing and jeweling beautifully!!

I really liked the unit after using it for the first time!

Since then, I have sanded and re-finished re-painted panels to perfection using it.
Swirl removal with the right polish and pad combo is really a breeze with it.

There's just a slight 'getting used to' with the dewalt unit after which, it works wonderfully!

Perfecting the rotary polisher is my next big step and I hope to leave the DA behind(Though a DA will still be essential for jeweling/removing holograms and mild to light polishing etc.)

Actually, I can get a smaller backing plate for a rotary polisher along with smaller pads therefore, polishing a small area like the A-pillar, roof side parts of the quarterpanel, running board, certain thin parts of the bumper etc. will be easier.

Also, spot scratch removal will be easier with 4" pads!

No doubt that DA will be the weapon of choice to attack swirls on bigger/flatter panels!
Old 10th November 2010, 13:12   #3759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Official warranty, local availability, parts availability is a definite plus!

But if you are buying it, can you get a unit from US?
As you know that flex is the best one out there and since you are buying, you might wanna go for the best one out there.(flex comes in 230v versions too)
I can get a unit from Ottawa, Canada and can't say about USA, since the guy over there and I are totally unaware of the Custom procedures. I would appreciate if you can guide me to some website on which I can buy and have it delivered to Canada Address or even India for that matter.
Old 10th November 2010, 13:44   #3760
Senior - BHPian

Just had a word with Mr. Shashi Menon from Polymak Associates, Chennai. Flex 3401VRG is available with them for Rs. 34,927 (excluding VAT and Shipping), on which he shall give 15% discount. The equipment comes with 6 months warranty. Comparing it to $309 price on International websites, the Indian Price tag is surely a bomb.

Thanks Garipagol, I got their numbers from your post.
Old 11th November 2010, 09:51   #3761
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Just had a word with Mr. Shashi Menon from Polymak Associates, Chennai. Flex 3401VRG is available with them for Rs. 34,927 (excluding VAT and Shipping), on which he shall give 15% discount. The equipment comes with 6 months warranty. Comparing it to $309 price on International websites, the Indian Price tag is surely a bomb.

Thanks Garipagol, I got their numbers from your post.
As usual, we are always getting screwed when it comes to buying such things, it will be much lesser even if you bought and got it shipped from US, paying customs. Nirmal did that, check with him but i think he did not pay more than 20K for sure. 30K means one has to have 10 customers lined up to pay 3K and then buy it-
Old 11th November 2010, 10:07   #3762
Senior - BHPian

My bike's tank as developed a lot of fine circular scratches, I guess due to the dirty cloth used as the pressure washing stations.

Any not so expensive products/procedures for removing them?
Old 11th November 2010, 10:28   #3763
BHPian

^^^
1. Formula 1 Scratch Out or 3M Finnesse it.
2. Cotton Waste
3. Waxpol Scooter wax/Sonax Auto Wax > (recommended)
4. Chamois for the next time you wash.
Old 11th November 2010, 10:58   #3764
BHPian

How do you clean windshield? I dont seem to be cleaning it right.
Old 11th November 2010, 13:43   #3765
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

TSK - Please find below the details of the costs incurred by me in importing my last consignment from Autogeek !

1 set of Flex DA + consumables

MG-FL-2500-230V - 230 Volt Meguiars FLEX 3401 Ultra Po
32 oz. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound
32 oz. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish
3 CCS Orange Light Cutting 6.5 inch Foam Pads
2 CCS Gray Finishing 6.5 Inch Foam Pads
2 Cobra Microfiber Detailing Cloths, 16 x 16 inches
Total = 479 USD

I ordered some extra pads too :
LC-65-COMBO - Lake Country 6.5 CCS Pads- 6 PACK
LC-65-COMBO - Lake Country 6.5 CCS Pads- 6 PACK
Total = 100 USD

You can consider an approximate shipping via USPS of 100 USD + Customs duty @ 30% on the product cost+shipping.

Total cost should work out around 40,000 INR, landed.

Compared to only the machine costing that much in India,its no wonder people from all over the world order from Autogeek, the prices are much more VFM !

I went for this option as we have 3 cars at home & doing it myself would justify the one time investment, the flexibility of using it & the care i can take, also there were some other car owners interested in using it on a hiring basis too.

If you are planning to use a DA for your own use only,a VFM option, you can go for the Dewalt that Sohail has, he has achieved show car results with it !

If you have a friend or relative who is coming down to India from the US, you can get the Flex shipped to them if they are OK to bring it down.

The Megs 220 that Notorious has he got down from the UK, you can explore that option too, its a good machine.

If you have any doubts, please do post or PM me !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks