Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 15:40   #3766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Just had a word with Mr. Shashi Menon from Polymak Associates, Chennai. Flex 3401VRG is available with them for Rs. 34,927 (excluding VAT and Shipping), on which he shall give 15% discount. The equipment comes with 6 months warranty. Comparing it to $309 price on International websites, the Indian Price tag is surely a bomb.

Thanks Garipagol, I got their numbers from your post.
"OUCH!".

The price you have mentioned is for the 110V unit. The 230V unit sells for USD 399. However ...

With 15% discount the price will be about Rs. 29688. At Rs. 45 a dollar, the price is USD 660. This is USD 261 more than the US price of USD 399 (Rs 18000)!! With say USD 100 shipping charge / customs duty and 10% extra margin the price should be about USD 540 at best. That is still less by USD 120. They are giving you that 15% due to slide of the USD against Rs.

You can get the Flex to Canada for a freight of USD 46.50 (if you order now) from autogeek. This is certainly a better option. The unit ships in a box which will have to be checked in - see if your brother can carry it - with the new baggage rules extra bags/boxes could be expensive to carry as personal baggage.

Rgds
Old 11th November 2010, 15:54   #3767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
^^^
1. Formula 1 Scratch Out or 3M Finnesse it.
2. Cotton Waste
3. Waxpol Scooter wax/Sonax Auto Wax > (recommended)
4. Chamois for the next time you wash.
Thanks for the input. Will look for either of the Formula 1 or 3M product.
Old 11th November 2010, 21:14   #3768
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the details Nirmal and Garipagol. Lets see if I can work out on the Flex but going by the cost and other factors such as Post-Sales Support I think sourcing De Walt (the one Sohail has) locally is a better option for me. Shall keep you guys updated.

I think the De Walt comes with a 6 inch Backing Plate and as per the recommendations, I need 6.5 inch pads. I request you to please advise on the pads. I've asked for Meguiar's 105 and 205, apart from these I generally wax the car using Turtle but shall get TechWax 2.0 and 3M Show-off Paste Wax. In light of these, please recommend the pads and also tell me which Microfiber Bonnets shall be good.

Thanks!
Old 11th November 2010, 22:12   #3769
Senior - BHPian

If you have a white car, I'd recommend Zaino products!!

And yea, Dewalt unit comes with a 6" hook and loop backing plate!

You can use 6.5" pads with it without probs!
Even if you go for DeWalt, you'll be surprised at the power that small unit has!

And I'd recommend something a lil' better than TechWax2.0(Zaino) if you have a light colored car!

Though TechWax looks good on dark colors, I've heard zaino really makes the whites and silvers 'pop'
Old 12th November 2010, 00:14   #3770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
If you have a white car, I'd recommend Zaino products!!

And yea, Dewalt unit comes with a 6" hook and loop backing plate!

You can use 6.5" pads with it without probs!
Even if you go for DeWalt, you'll be surprised at the power that small unit has!

And I'd recommend something a lil' better than TechWax2.0(Zaino) if you have a light colored car!

Though TechWax looks good on dark colors, I've heard zaino really makes the whites and silvers 'pop'
Thanks a lot Sohail. I'm preferably looking for an all-rounder since I also have a Bold Beige ANHC to do. Anyhow, look forward to your recommendations on the pads.
Old 12th November 2010, 02:16   #3771
Senior - BHPian

As for pads, I'd go with Garipagol's recommendations!

I have a mixture of multiple pads and I find that I'm using the orange and white ones a lil' more!

It all depends on the current status of the finish that you're aiming to correct.

Generally, a orange pad with M105 is enough to remove most defects.(you might need a yellow cutting pad in case you are refinishing a re-painted panel after sanding)

White is good for medium polishing and sometimes, even finishing, with M205 or even finer polishes.

Grey is great for jeweling, glazing as well as wax/sealant application!

For doing a multi-step correction on one car, you need at least 3-4 nos. of each type of pad.(for heavy correction)

Getting 2x six pack LC CCS pads is a great way to stock up!
Also, do get a dedicated pad cleaning powder(it really helps a lot!)

Last edited by sohail99 : 12th November 2010 at 02:17.
Old 12th November 2010, 06:46   #3772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
How do you clean windshield? I dont seem to be cleaning it right.
druva, try waxpol's windshield cleaner. It works perfect for me. As simple as Spray and wipe to give an excellent finish.

A bottle of 100 ml would cost you Rs.45 and it is totally worth it.
Old 12th November 2010, 09:36   #3773
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I need your suggestions.
I have got a new Bonnet and repainted for my linea Minimal Grey color in VST Chennai last week.
But what i observerd is,the color is exactly matched but the shine is not good as compared with other areas and it looks like the paint have some waves like on close watch.it's very evident for me.
I think they forgot to wet sanding before polishing it.
Please let me know what can i do for my next step to fix this issue.
Old 12th November 2010, 10:02   #3774
Senior - BHPian

It needs to be professionally wetsanded to even out the wavy texture and then compounded and polished back to a superior shine!

As far as my experience with A.S.S. repainting and refinishing goes, they are nothing but noobs with improper tools in their hands.

Try contacting a car detail center in your area and inquire whether they'll do wetsanding for you or not!

Since there is serious lack of quality workmanship here, I learnt the art myself and can achieve a better finish than those 'half-hearted' guys everytime!
Old 12th November 2010, 10:24   #3775
Senior - BHPian

Yes i thought of trying myself with Emery 2000 and 3000 wet sand paper and Formula1 Scratch out then with Amway Silicon Glaze and finally with Formula1 Wax.
I tried in some area before and not this kind of big area like bonnet.
So i am little bit skeptical on my work without DA.
Awating all your suggestions.
Old 12th November 2010, 11:07   #3776
Senior - BHPian

You don't need a DA to wetsand, compound and polish!

Before I got the DA polisher, I used to do it by hand.
Though compounding is much easier with a rotary polisher(the A.S.S. guys usually have that)

And its a good idea to start with 1500grit and then refine it with 2000 grit and final finishing with 3000grit.

Personally, I'll go upto 4000grit

Anyways, do consult the wetsanding tutorials etc - Basic Hand Sanding Techniques - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

I don't know if scratchout paste is abrasive enough to take out the sanding scratches but if you have it then its worth a shot.

And whatever you do, never wax a freshly painted panel for at least 45 days!!!
The paint needs to outgas and a wax layer will prevent that from happening leading to paint defects such as solvent pop etc.

Always try to work in a smaller area, that way you can achieve better results.(divide the bonnet into multiple parts in your mind, say 1x1ft or 2x2 ft whichever is comfortable to you)

Last edited by sohail99 : 12th November 2010 at 11:10.
Old 12th November 2010, 12:48   #3777
VMC
BHPian

Has anyone tried these guys services....atleast we can use them when we really cant wash the car by ourselves...
HITEK CAR GROOMING - Mobile Car Grooming @ Your Door Step
sorry to be off topic...
Old 12th November 2010, 13:57   #3778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Nice water bead.how long does it bead water after application?
It depends how you keep your vehicle mine will last max for 1 month .
Old 13th November 2010, 15:29   #3779
Senior - BHPian

DeWalt Car polisher is being sold by Black & Decker and its available in Bangalore. I called the dealer, they were closing their shop today, so i will go and check it out on Monday. He told me its Orbital dual action and MRP is around 14 k will give you good discount, will go on Monday and check it out.

Last edited by shamanth : 13th November 2010 at 15:30.
Old 13th November 2010, 16:15   #3780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
DeWalt Car polisher is being sold by Black & Decker and its available in Bangalore. I called the dealer, they were closing their shop today, so i will go and check it out on Monday. He told me its Orbital dual action and MRP is around 14 k will give you good discount, will go on Monday and check it out.

Thats great news! Please tell their address and their contact number.
Do keep us updated about this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks