Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2011, 17:56   #4396
BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I agree with rohitm. For a newbie it is getting really difficult to understand where to start from and which products to use. I understand I have to make efforts but seriously a sticky about products and procedures would be of immense help.
curiosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:43   #4397
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Just to get new folks started off
TO start with for GENERAL Maintenance
1. Clay using a detailing clay( meguiars, mothers etc) once in 3-4 months
How to do this- google and you will get ample videos
2. Apply a good quality wax/sealant after step 1. Meguiars NXT, Collinite 845 are excellent ones. NO need to get more exotic unless you have access to people coming in from US regularly. Key is to apply once in a month or after 5-6 washes to maintain the effect always at its best.
3. For everyday cleaning, eliminate water with using a Car Duster to remove dust and the use a Quick Detailer with Micro. Using Optimum NO Rinse as a quick detailer is very effective. Micro- use any good ones in the market, best are 3M in my experience but they are not sold in retail( blue ones)
4. Use a good quality car shampoo with wash mitt and dry using a micro( even normal ones and no need especially to have waffle weave, if have it-great) when you need to wash. Least water is best, i washed my car 5 times in the last 5 months
I think this is the best for a decent DIY routine.
If you are looking for swirl/minor scratch removal, you need professional help or a Dual Action Polisher which needs some experience in handling and costs above 10K( don't see the need unless you got serious enthusiasm or mroe than 3-4 cars to do)
Lets store this and if anyone new asks, just copy+paste this
mkh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:11   #4398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Had one interaction with the chennai contact, was thoroughly disgusted with the conversation, but that maybe just because i expected a level of service that is on par with the price. Flex DA was told to be about 30K, price mentioned in the catalogue is 322- i guess that is Euros? That comes to 21k. Wish someone can call and see if they get a proper reply
Same here, the Hyderabad contact spoke of 35k for the same product. Honestly that was shocking for me.

I am working on finding someone who is traveling to UK. Will request to get it for me.
Old 22nd April 2011, 21:02   #4399
BHPian

This is my favorite thread which I've been following ever since I came across Team-BHP. I love detailing my swift and thanks to all the gurus for letting out their secrets!! I'm still on a learning curve and hopefully I'll acquire more gyaan! My swift is completely swirled up and I hate it very much but I don't feel like getting a DA as I'm still a student and don't intend to spend all my money on it! As of now, I'm just washing, waxing and using ONR solution as a QD. I want to buy a clay bar but don't know how to get it. Any pointers?
Old 22nd April 2011, 23:52   #4400
BHPian

Queries -

When and how to use ' Deoxidiser ' in car paint?

Which is the best available one in market today?

Where can I get the above easily in Pune?

Any side effects?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:38   #4401
Senior - BHPian

Any polish in the market is a 'deoxidizer' for paint!

'deoxidizer' is a pure gimmick term IMO!!

Any polish or chemical paint cleaner will remove oxidation from the paint surface and reveal the fresh glossy paint underneath!

There are no side effects, except that the kids might be attracted to a more shiny car and may leave fingerprints all over! (which is a really bad thing in my book!)

Follow up polishing with a quality wax or a sealant

Last edited by sohail99 : 23rd April 2011 at 16:04.
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:39   #4402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just to get new folks started off
Great post, mkh! Thanks!! (used the button as well )

Question though. What is this 3 step process that people keep talking about? Is claying the first part or does it start after that? And what are the products that go with this 3 step process? And where in Bangalore can we get them? Specially the clay kit!

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 23rd April 2011, 16:41   #4403
BHPian

Just saw in auto-mall's website. They'll be selling mothers products including the clay bar kit from the first week of may! Slowly, we are now having access to some world class products
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:36   #4404
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Great post, mkh! Thanks!! (used the button as well )

Question though. What is this 3 step process that people keep talking about? Is claying the first part or does it start after that? And what are the products that go with this 3 step process? And where in Bangalore can we get them? Specially the clay kit!

Cheers
Amitoj
Actually the first step is to wash the car, but you can also say that claying is the first step. Getting a clay bar is tough, only option till now was to rely on people coming from the US, jopasu has a clay bar too though that they sell in india.
However one clay bar if used once in 3-4 months will last min 20 months, not sure if its a good idea to keep one of a set of 2 unused for that long. Better to combine and purchase or take a bar from those who occasionally have excess like me
BTW i have NOT washed BOTH my cars in the morning post these rains, they get drenched for sure, but no water wash needed Just using detailer spray for the places where some mud is there, no water marks etc! All cause have surface protection intact!
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:26   #4405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Any polish in the market is a 'deoxidizer' for paint!

'deoxidizer' is a pure gimmick term IMO!!

Any polish or chemical paint cleaner will remove oxidation from the paint surface and reveal the fresh glossy paint underneath!

There are no side effects, except that the kids might be attracted to a more shiny car and may leave fingerprints all over! (which is a really bad thing in my book!)

Follow up polishing with a quality wax or a sealant
Thanks Sohail.
Actually, the roughness isn't visible as such, but one can definitely feel it when moving hands over the surface. I wanted to feel the smoothness, thats it. Shall try to get one good car polish and then apply wax and see if the smoothness returns. I applied collinite845 but the smoothness is still not there, not sure may be I missed the polish. Shall update on the outcome after following your advise

Quote:
Getting a clay bar is tough, only option till now was to rely on people coming from the US, jopasu has a clay bar too though that they sell in india.
I am not sure if you are referring to any specific type of clay bar ( plz note I am no expert in car detailing). Anyways, sharing the below link, ebay India does have few products up for sale including clay bar (let us know if this would solve the purpose, as you guys are the gurus )

meguiar's, Car Accessories Parts items at low prices on eBay India

*For Pune BHPians, you may wish to check with 3M exclusive shop @Vimannagar for similar products.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 23rd April 2011 at 21:30. Reason: addition
Old 23rd April 2011, 22:37   #4406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
I am not sure if you are referring to any specific type of clay bar ( plz note I am no expert in car detailing). Anyways, sharing the below link, ebay India does have few products up for sale including clay bar (let us know if this would solve the purpose, as you guys are the gurus )

meguiar's, Car Accessories Parts items at low prices on eBay India
Thanks for the link Avon, but this seller is mighty expensive! Compared to the US prices listed in the link below, this person is charging nearly 4 times the US price!!
Meguiars Car Care Products,NXT Generation, Mirror Glaze, Gold Class, Meguiars Professional Detailing Products, meguiars wax

The SwirlX, for example, is listed at 8.99 USD at the above site whereas the ebay person is selling it for 1600/-

Since i have no experience of importing products, I am not sure whether this much difference is expected or not.

EDIT: Maybe I will drop in at the 3M place one of these days to see what they stock.

Last edited by amitoj : 23rd April 2011 at 22:46.
Old 23rd April 2011, 23:44   #4407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
this seller is mighty expensive! Compared to the US prices listed in the link below, this person is charging nearly 4 times the US price!!
+1. The prices listed is horrendously expensive. Thats because the seller imports all the products which attracts duties and stuff, so it becomes expensive!
Secondly, I don't think 3M sells any of their products, or do they?! Amitoj, if you drop by please let me know the status as even I'm looking for a clay bar kit.
Old 24th April 2011, 07:21   #4408
Senior - BHPian

^^ Vaibzi, they dont sell any 3M products but i believe they do stock some Meguiars products, since 3M acquired Meguiars.
There is a thread here somewhere about the 3M showroom in Bangalore (search for Bommanahalli) and one of the posts in it had a photo of the showroom's interiors that showed some Meg products for sale. I think i atleast saw the QD there.
I will probably give them a call first, before going there.

Cheers
Amitoj.
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 08:17   #4409
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Vaibzi/Amitoj - I would not recommend the megs QD, A much more economical & value for money product to Meguiars quik detailer would be Optimum No rinse - it can be diluted to form a quik detailer, a rinseless car wash, a clay lube too ! Its easily available now in Blore too.

One bottle of the Megs QD would last for around 5 quick detailing sessions.
45 ml of ONR diluted in 500 ml of water would do the same for a much lesser cost & same end result !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 09:25   #4410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Thanks Sohail.
Actually, the roughness isn't visible as such, but one can definitely feel it when moving hands over the surface. I wanted to feel the smoothness, thats it. Shall try to get one good car polish and then apply wax and see if the smoothness returns. I applied collinite845 but the smoothness is still not there, not sure may be I missed the polish. Shall update on the outcome after following your advise

That roughness is due to surface bonded contaminants. You need a clay bar to remove the bonded contaminants and achieve that perfect smoothness you're looking for!

+ a smooth claybarred surface will enable better bonding of collinite 845 or any other wax or sealant to the paint and thereby increasing its longevity!

Last edited by sohail99 : 24th April 2011 at 09:27.
sohail99 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks