Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 00:31   #4426
Senior - BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Guys, have anyone ordered anything from detailed image site (DI Packages Microfiber Sampler Kit | Detailed Image) ? How are they and specifically how are the microfiber cloths sold by them? Or should I try any other site like Amazon or something and some different brand of micro fiber towels such as Cobra or Viking? One of my friend is in US and I'll be shipping it to him.
Old 29th April 2011, 12:24   #4427
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Guys, have anyone ordered anything from detailed image site (DI Packages Microfiber Sampler Kit | Detailed Image) ? How are they and specifically how are the microfiber cloths sold by them? Or should I try any other site like Amazon or something and some different brand of micro fiber towels such as Cobra or Viking? One of my friend is in US and I'll be shipping it to him.
Safest and best sites are autogeek and properautocare. Autogeek has a sale for 24 hours- now for 14 hours more.
Can i put in a few items too, if he can carry? It will save shipping for us both. Will put negligible weight items
Old 29th April 2011, 13:03   #4428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Safest and best sites are autogeek and properautocare. Autogeek has a sale for 24 hours- now for 14 hours more.
Can i put in a few items too, if he can carry? It will save shipping for us both. Will put negligible weight items
Thanks Mohsin. Will check out the deals and will ask my friend, I think he should be able to carry them.
Old 4th May 2011, 23:10   #4429
Senior - BHPian

Got a lil time today to finish polish my i20's front bumper!

I didnt feel like taking the DA out(kinda feeling lazy lol)
So did all the polishing by hand with a orange hand pad.

I'm glad to say that I was able to achieve a swirl free finish just with hand polishing!!

(btw this bumper(this is repainted one) had loads of orange peel that I had to wetsand with 1500 > 2000 > 3000grit papers to level out the finish and then compound with M105 and a wool pad on the rotary polisher to make it look presentable!)

But I left it after compounding as I thought that while fitting the bumper on the car, some minor scratches and marring will be inevitable and I'd finish polish it after its on the car.

So today I got the chance and set about it with hand and I was really impressed! (The reason I was able to remove swirls by hand is partly due to the fact that buffer swirls are quite shallow unlike regular swirls that are relatively deeper!(and thus difficult to remove)

Some after pics -

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0011.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0013.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0014.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0016.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0017.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0018.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0019.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0001.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0002.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0003.jpg
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 12:12   #4430
Senior - BHPian

@sohail,
You just did the polish now. Which Polish? How long did it take to finish just the bumper by hand.
Old 5th May 2011, 15:19   #4431
BHPian

@sohail: Wont Meguiar's UC or scratch x 2.0 remove swirl marks when applied by hand? I tried using them after claying. After wiping off UC using a MF cloth, I was not able to see any swirls. Then I applied techwax 2.0. I was able to see some swirls (the swirls had improved after UC application). Any ideas why this is happening?
Old 5th May 2011, 16:01   #4432
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravananj View Post
@sohail: Wont Meguiar's UC or scratch x 2.0 remove swirl marks when applied by hand? I tried using them after claying. After wiping off UC using a MF cloth, I was not able to see any swirls. Then I applied techwax 2.0. I was able to see some swirls (the swirls had improved after UC application). Any ideas why this is happening?
Though sohail can answer, but based on my experience- you CANNOT remove swirls by hand, only hide them. Immediately after applying you cannot see, that also depends on if you saw with naked eye or under swirl finding light.
Mild ones maybe possible to remove to some extent, but most of them, hand application cannot remove.
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 16:02   #4433
Senior - BHPian

^The applicator pad might have picked up contaminants while you were applying techwax.

Usually after I'm done polishing and break out the wax, there's already a very fine layer of dust over the just polished surface(not much apparent in light colored vehicles or at night)

For this I have to gently touch the microfiber to the paint so that teh towel holds all the dust and then immediately after final inspection of the panel and the applicator pad I get down to waxing!

Sometimes if there's constant downpour of dust(which is what usually happens), after doing one section of the panel you've to re-dust the other section you're gonna wax and then apply wax to that section after final inspection of both panel and the applicator pad!

Its literally kinda like a battle against nature, that we car care enthusiasts are always waging! lol (I HATE DUST to the core!!!)

Megs UX, scratchX and SwirlX will remove defects by hand but that depends on the severity of the defects itself. If swirls and scratches are mild then hand polishing 'might' work great(I said 'might' as there are other factors at play here like even though there are a few swirls on the panel, we don't know the depth of them!)

The relatively deeper ones might need a polisher, it's much much easier with a machine!

I usually go about tackling smaller areas by hand so that I can concentrate and evenly polish that area, then after the polish dries up I spray some quick detailer on the applicator pad and work the same area again until it dries again. This works at least on my paint!

You can try this, but usually you've to find out what combination works best for your paint!

@rkSans - It took about 2 hours lol! (thats partly cuz i20's front bumper has a lot of crevices and recessed portions, like the area around the foglamps, the thin fold around the front air dam etc.)

I used the sample of the least abrasive polish that I had, wolfgang finishing glaze.

Btw I would've achieved the same results with Meguiars SwirlX

Last edited by sohail99 : 5th May 2011 at 16:10.
sohail99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 17:20   #4434
Senior - BHPian

sohail99
Fantastic job! Give us the list of products used.
Old 6th May 2011, 23:10   #4435
BHPian

Great work Sohail ! Which brand of papers did you use ?

Btw, is that the Brinkmann swirl finder light ? Is it the battery or rechargeable one ?
Old 9th May 2011, 03:50   #4436
BANNED

Just sharing some pics of a 2010 ANHC we detailed today. The car had billions of swirl marks allover but we took good care of it. Only Meguiars products were used on this car.

The car was Steam washed, polished and finally waxed
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5424.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5428.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5436.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5440.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5441.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5444.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5448.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5450.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5462.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5489.jpg  

Old 9th May 2011, 09:44   #4437
Senior - BHPian

^Nice work! Where are you based in New Delhi?

btw doesn't that dewalt DA make loads of noise and vibrations??(it works awesomely though!)

I was soo fed up with its noise and vibrations(too much vibrations might cause vibration induced urticaria and even carpal tunnel syndrome, but in a long term. Though I've experienced vibration urticaria and its far worse than I thought it would be!) that I switched to a rotary polisher. Much quieter, faster and vibration free!

@nirmal - I used combination of 3M, nikken and mirka abralon papers(1500 > 2000 > 3000 and occasionally 4000 grit) for wet and dampsanding. M105 and wool pad on a rotary polisher for compounding, and WG finishing glaze by hand as a final polishing step!

Thanks CaptainSlow! Products used listed above.

Last edited by sohail99 : 9th May 2011 at 09:47.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:18   #4438
BHPian

Awesome stuff Twister! Where are you guys based in Delhi? Do post your contact details =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
Just sharing some pics of a 2010 ANHC we detailed today. The car had billions of swirl marks allover but we took good care of it. Only Meguiars products were used on this car.

The car was Steam washed, polished and finally waxed
Old 9th May 2011, 14:17   #4439
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
^Nice work! Where are you based in New Delhi?

btw doesn't that dewalt DA make loads of noise and vibrations??(it works awesomely though!)

I was soo fed up with its noise and vibrations(too much vibrations might cause vibration induced urticaria and even carpal tunnel syndrome, but in a long term. Though I've experienced vibration urticaria and its far worse than I thought it would be!) that I switched to a rotary polisher. Much quieter, faster and vibration free!
Hi sohail, We are providing a door step service. currently it is in south delhi only. But we will be expanding soon to coverup more parts.

i know its too noisy and has a lot of vibrations. but im thinking of using heavy duty gloves as of now to reduce the vibrations. in future i think il be getting either a pc or a megs da polisher with a converter.
Old 9th May 2011, 17:32   #4440
BANNED

@ Twister
Great work and see that delhi too has someone offering this now on the lines of Ultimate Detailerz in bangalore! However i think there is a policy not to post commercial stuff, i think this post needs to be moved to the directory thread. Mods are sure to action so be careful man.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks