Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 13:30   #4531
Senior - BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

^ Hope this does not affect the paint. I have got this car waxed and polished just a week ago.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:01   #4532
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^ Hope this does not affect the paint. I have got this car waxed and polished just a week ago.
Never tried this but claying should remove it easily. Why i say this because i have used clay to remove the glue from tape used to put on flowers very easily. Nature of both is similar, though chewing gum is tougher. Will be interesting to know the results, maybe i am tempted to experiment
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:07   #4533
BHPian

I used hot glue on my car to pop up a small dent. After popping up the dent I tried to remove the hot glue by heating it with hair dryer - but the whole thing got messy. I then tried the WD-40 and whoa it removed the hot glue without leaving a streak also no harm to my paint .
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:43   #4534
Distinguished - BHPian

The technique pros use for getting chewing gum out of carpets is to freeze it, which makes it brittle and easily broken up, instead of sticky-to-everything. They use special sprays: I don't know if an ice cube would be cold enough.

Anyway, if the WD-40 works, then no need. If not, then it's something else to experiment with.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:00   #4535
Senior - BHPian

^Its a normal compressed air duster can, used while inverted! so that the aerosol comes out instead of the compressed air! And that freezes the gum and makes it easier to remove from clothes/fabrics/carpets etc.

Dunno how safe it would be on paint. + Make sure if you use this method, the panel should be cool to touch. Sudden extreme change of temperature from hot to sub zero might cause paint damage!

Alternately, WD-40 or detailing clay will do the job!

Last edited by sohail99 : 2nd June 2011 at 17:06.
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:17   #4536
BHPian

Hi guys, i have received the megs complete car care kit from us and will be detailing my car tomo morning. A few questions 1. Is a soft tooth brush ok for cleaning out badging etc without damaging paint 2. Can the same foam pad applicator be used for applying scratch remover as well as wax 3. Wat brand of masking tape can be used? Can scotch tape also be used safely?
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:57   #4537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Hi guys, i have received the megs complete car care kit from us and will be detailing my car tomo morning. A few questions 1. Is a soft tooth brush ok for cleaning out badging etc without damaging paint 2. Can the same foam pad applicator be used for applying scratch remover as well as wax 3. Wat brand of masking tape can be used? Can scotch tape also be used safely?
Did you get the new megs complete car kit ? If yes, do post the pics and also give the review after you use it.

1. Soft brush is not advisable, better use the earbuds or something similiar ones. Ensure you do not end up scratching.
2. Nope, i would suggest not to use the same applicator. Use separate, always better.
3. Normal masking tapes available in all hardware stores.
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:56   #4538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Did you get the new megs complete car kit ? If yes, do post the pics and also give the review after you use it.

1. Soft brush is not advisable, better use the earbuds or something similiar ones. Ensure you do not end up scratching.
2. Nope, i would suggest not to use the same applicator. Use separate, always better.
3. Normal masking tapes available in all hardware stores.
Thanks rk. Ear bud sounds like a good idea. The kit came with only one applicator so wondering what to do. The kit cost $45 and came with tire cleaner, liquid wax, plastx, scratchx, 2 clay bars, quick interior and exterior detailer, micro fiber towel and mitt, foam pad applicator, car wash. I think that covers everything! Can masking tape be safely put on paint?

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 3rd June 2011 at 12:58.
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:06   #4539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Thanks rk. Ear bud sounds like a good idea. The kit came with only one applicator so wondering what to do. The kit cost $45 and came with tire cleaner, liquid wax, plastx, scratchx, 2 clay bars, quick interior and exterior detailer, micro fiber towel and mitt, foam pad applicator, car wash. I think that covers everything! Can masking tape be safely put on paint?
Masking tape are not an issue on paint. Please use it.
Check with Ultimate detailerzs, i saw them selling applicators for Rs.150 or so.
Old 4th June 2011, 13:29   #4540
BHPian

Need suggestion

Hi,

I am looking for a carpet, fabric seat cleaner for my car (beige color interior).
I came across some products (Formula1, Sonax & Cyclo), thought of checking with you all before buying.
MRP - Sonax 425/-, Formula1 399/-, Cyclo 275/-

Any suggestion, experience of using any of these, which one is better, please share.
Pics attached -
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-tbhpc1.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-tbhpc2.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-tbhpc3.jpg

Below one is Glass Cleaner from Cyclo, is it safe to clean glass/windshield with these foam cleanser
MRP 275/-
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-tbhpc4.jpg

Last edited by AvonA7 : 4th June 2011 at 13:34. Reason: price added
Old 5th June 2011, 20:36   #4541
Senior - BHPian

^All of them will work!

You can go for Sonax, as it being a reputed German brand!
Never tried Formula1's fabric cleaner.

There's also an ArmorAll Multi purpose cleaner that works quite good for everything, like fabric, dashboard, wiper cowls etc.

Almost everything Sonax that I've used till now, performed flawlessly!

Use a toothbrush(soft bristle one) to agitate the cleaner and then wipe everything off with a microfiber or a cotton cloth(cotton cloth for fabrics is ok! but I use microfibers)

After cleaning, the seat fabric will feel damp to touch, so let it dry off with windows open, if you have a covered parking or fenced driveway!

Last edited by sohail99 : 5th June 2011 at 20:39.
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 20:50   #4542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
That roughness is due to surface bonded contaminants. You need a clay bar to remove the bonded contaminants and achieve that perfect smoothness you're looking for!

+ a smooth claybarred surface will enable better bonding of collinite 845 or any other wax or sealant to the paint and thereby increasing its longevity!
I am yet to try this one, but once done shall share the end result whether I am able to feel the smoothness again in the affected areas.

Quote:
^All of them will work!

You can go for Sonax, as it being a reputed German brand!
Never tried Formula1's fabric cleaner.

There's also an ArmorAll Multi purpose cleaner that works quite good for everything, like fabric, dashboard, wiper cowls etc.

Almost everything Sonax that I've used till now, performed flawlessly!

Use a toothbrush(soft bristle one) to agitate the cleaner and then wipe everything off with a microfiber or a cotton cloth(cotton cloth for fabrics is ok! but I use microfibers)

After cleaning, the seat fabric will feel damp to touch, so let it dry off with windows open, if you have a covered parking or fenced driveway!
Thanks Sohail.
I`ll get the Sonax one then. I think it would be better to get the interiors vacuum cleaned first and then use the foam based cleaner.

BTW, whats your opinion about this foam cleanser (glass/windshield one from cyclo, last pic in my previous post)

Last edited by AvonA7 : 5th June 2011 at 20:52.
Old 5th June 2011, 21:04   #4543
Senior - BHPian

I've tried EagleOne 20/20 foam based glass cleaner and I liked that a lot!

Currently I use sonax glass cleaner(green stuff) and its quite good!

I think any glass cleaner should do the job!! (in case the glass is quite clean already)
In the past, I had tried colin, Mr. muscle etc. and they all seemed to work!

In case of a stubborn road film, glass cleaners centered on automotive glass seem to work rather well.

You can go ahead and try the cyclo one. They don't yield quite many uses.(like, I finished my eagleOne 20/20 glass cleaner(foam based aerosol type) after like 3 cars (windshield(inside(spray it on the cloth and then clean) and outside), all side windows(inside, outside) and rear windshield(again both in and out) + orvms and IRVM

Last edited by sohail99 : 5th June 2011 at 21:06.
Old 5th June 2011, 21:38   #4544
BHPian

Quote:
I've tried EagleOne 20/20 foam based glass cleaner and I liked that a lot!

Currently I use sonax glass cleaner(green stuff) and its quite good!

I think any glass cleaner should do the job!! (in case the glass is quite clean already)
In the past, I had tried colin, Mr. muscle etc. and they all seemed to work!

In case of a stubborn road film, glass cleaners centered on automotive glass seem to work rather well.

You can go ahead and try the cyclo one. They don't yield quite many uses.(like, I finished my eagleOne 20/20 glass cleaner(foam based aerosol type) after like 3 cars (windshield(inside(spray it on the cloth and then clean) and outside), all side windows(inside, outside) and rear windshield(again both in and out) + orvms and IRVM
Yes, you are correct. At present, I use mostly colin with newspaper or m/f cloth (separate m/f cloth for headlights/windshields/glass) and the results are quite good. This foam cleanser caught my attention, it looks more fancy (the application part) , but since I have no experience in using them and do not want to go for one just for the sake of it, so decided to check with you all. I think I`ll stick to my existing products for glass/windshield or buy a separate glass cleaner rather than this foam cleanser.

I have a covered parking, but it is so dusty here, especially during summer and to some extent during winter, that after spending ~3hrs cleaning the car on weekends in the morning, I have to use duster (Jopasu) to remove a thin layer of dust from the car before starting in the evening in the weekends.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 5th June 2011 at 21:39.
Old 5th June 2011, 22:57   #4545
BANNED

Re: Need suggestion

[quote=AvonA7;2378229]Hi,

I am looking for a carpet, fabric seat cleaner for my car (beige color interior).
I came across some products (Formula1, Sonax & Cyclo), thought of checking with you all before buying.
MRP - Sonax 425/-, Formula1 399/-, Cyclo 275/-

Any suggestion, experience of using any of these, which one is better, please share.

Hi AvonA7 , I am using honeywell simoniz upholstery cleaner.Its Good.
Dr.Gagan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed