Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2011, 21:35   #4711
Senior - BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

^Yea, NXT is kinda like a mild cleaner wax. It will fill(swirls) a bit. Whereas OS is a pure sealant.

Choice of usage depends on paint condition! Few swirls = NXT and then OS. Flawless paint = OS and again OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Ok so Im going to do a full detailing session tomorrow or the day after if the weather permits. I have NXT Tech wax 2 and Opti seal and I want to do two layers, one of each on the same day as I will have to do a full external wash again if I have to do another layer the next day.
What would be the best way to layer these ? Opti Seal allowed to cure for 20 30 mins followed by NXT, allowed to dry for an hour and then buffed off ? Or should I do the NXT first, buff it off and then Opti seal on top ?
You can try either one first! Personally, I would stick with just one sealant!

Like, if you start with opti-seal, layer it with Opti-seal only! Same if you start with NXT! (There are some bonding issues we cant make out but a sealant is manufactured to be layered by the same type of sealant!)

Then its just my way of thinking!

Maybe you can play a bit. Do 2 adjacent panels and use only Opti-seal on one and NXT on the other! after repeated washes and time span, you'll find out which one looks better, which is more durable etc.

Have fun! And keep yourself hydrated while detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
So now I have the ONR (delivered yesterday) and will try it out tomorrow. It has been a week since my car is cleaned/washed.

What would be the recomended way to start using ONR? As per the directions straight away or should I wash the car before I use it for the first time and then continue using regularly...
If possible, first hose off all the loose dirt and stuff from the paint thoroughly! Then ONR 2 bucket wash!

Or as Mortis said, just mist ONR in QD dilution all over the paint, then after a bit, hose everything off the paint, then generic ONR 2 bucket!

(Be sure to work in shade)

Last edited by sohail99 : 13th August 2011 at 21:37.
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 22:26   #4712
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I think you should 1st use NXT tech wax since its synthetic wax, Then seal with Opti Seal, since Opti seal is a pure sealant.
Shamanth, sealants need to bind to paint to really get their optimum effect. If you use any synthetic wax based product it will hamper the sealant to bind to the paint. Normally people prefer a sealant as it last longer. The wax is topped by many for the wetter look. But in our Indian conditions it would attract more dust. My personal choice is just go for the Opti Seal or any other pure sealant rather than the combo.
Old 14th August 2011, 17:36   #4713
Senior - BHPian

Detailing session was a failure today. The on and off rains made sure I had to do extra wiping and drying which left me exhausted and frustrated. Didnt get to apply sealant. The good thing is I noticed quite a few tar spots that would need to be taken care of anyway before I wax the car so thats a plus.

My logic behind using Opti Seal and NXT was that I wanted to do two layers of wax/sealant in a single detailing session as I would have to clean the car completely again the next day to put on the second coat which I most likely would not be able to do.

I want to try out the NXT which I just got and since OS cures within 30 mins or so I thought that using these in combo would allow me to get the two wax coats I want in a single session. Thats why I was asking for suggestions on which should go on first
Old 14th August 2011, 21:10   #4714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biyer View Post
Disclaimer: This is not a recommended solution for any and every scratch. .....
If its a deep 6-layer scratch then buy a matching colored nail polish ...
Works best on light colors. Works really poor in red and black.
Thanks for your tips biyer. As it turns out, I have a red car.
I am posting some pics of those scratches caused by vandals here.

These scratches is actually not as superficial as the pictures make them look. This one runs from the rear tail lamp to the front door.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0795.jpg

Somebody tried to inscribe something. Makes me think it was a kid ?

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0794.jpg
Old 14th August 2011, 21:32   #4715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Thanks for your tips biyer. As it turns out, I have a red car.
Sorry to hear that buddy, I am going with same pain. But as you are having non metallic, brush touchup will help. As nothing else than repaint would work so do not waste your time. You have only two options:
1. Live with it or get brush touch up.
2. Repaint.
Old 14th August 2011, 23:31   #4716
Senior - BHPian

[quote=sajo;2467837]Thanks for your tips biyer. As it turns out, I have a red car.
I am posting some pics of those scratches caused by vandals here.

These scratches is actually not as superficial as the pictures make them look. This one runs from the rear tail lamp to the front door.

Somebody tried to inscribe something. Makes me think it was a kid ?

My black metallic figo has faced the same problem. Someone sick low life marked the hood of the car with 2 deep lines/scratches.
The local shops and smaller paint shops told me rubbing wont help as the marks are too deep.
Back home I used a strong rubbing compound with a orbital buffer and finished it off with a sealant and then good quality wax. The scratch is still there but you can not make it out unless you inspect the area carefully.

This is the best way according to me. A brush touch up will spoil the look. And a paint job is very expensive.
Old 16th August 2011, 16:39   #4717
Senior - BHPian

Just received the ONR 8oz from Auto-Mall Banglore. Will be working on my ride this weekend and will post the review of the same. Below is the picture of the complete set of car products that I have with me.A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-car-products.jpg
Old 16th August 2011, 17:52   #4718
BHPian

Just saw this on YouTube.

Does anyone know if it's available in India (Flash Brown Royal wheel cleaner)? It would be a boon to have this product in India, considering how dirty the tires get!

Last edited by mb_jg : 16th August 2011 at 17:54.
mb_jg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 18:00   #4719
BHPian

Ok so ONR shouldnt be used on a dirty car. I was thinking of it being a replacement of shampoo wash. Was about to do another wash with ONR soon.

Will use ONR for detailing instead.
Old 17th August 2011, 09:40   #4720
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking of getting a full interior plus exterior detailing done on my car on her first b'day.
I was quoted 4000 bucks by one and 5000 by another.
This includes cleaning, polishing, applying sealant, minor scratch removal, interior shampooing, interior detailing, seats, tires and wheels - basically everything.

Do you think the rates are reasonable?

Also, once this process is done, I was told that I should wax the car once in 2-3 months to keep the shine and the finish intact. And it was said that the surface gloss and shine will last more than a year easily
Old 17th August 2011, 10:01   #4721
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I was thinking of getting a full interior plus exterior detailing done on my car on her first b'day.
I was quoted 4000 bucks by one and 5000 by another.
This includes cleaning, polishing, applying sealant, minor scratch removal, interior shampooing, interior detailing, seats, tires and wheels - basically everything.

Do you think the rates are reasonable?

Also, once this process is done, I was told that I should wax the car once in 2-3 months to keep the shine and the finish intact. And it was said that the surface gloss and shine will last more than a year easily
Adimicra,
Which car is it?

If you want it professionally done, then ask what material they are using. You can get your car detailed for even 1000 but the quality of job would depend on the skill, the equipment and the products they use. If they are recommending you to wax the car every 2-3 months that is indicative of a wax based product being used initially. For such a product they are over priced. You could wax your own car for a full year with hardly 200-400 cost. If you need the light scratches to be removed ensure they tell you the equipment they are using. If they are only using a rotary polisher, they are not so professional.

You have a lot of members on this forum who could give their inputs to get your car into pristine condition. If you are not into detailing, then we can at least guide you into getting the right professionals attending to your car.
ThinkBig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 11:41   #4722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
Adimicra,
Which car is it?

If you want it professionally done, then ask what material they are using. You can get your car detailed for even 1000 but the quality of job would depend on the skill, the equipment and the products they use. If they are recommending you to wax the car every 2-3 months that is indicative of a wax based product being used initially. For such a product they are over priced. You could wax your own car for a full year with hardly 200-400 cost. If you need the light scratches to be removed ensure they tell you the equipment they are using. If they are only using a rotary polisher, they are not so professional.

You have a lot of members on this forum who could give their inputs to get your car into pristine condition. If you are not into detailing, then we can at least guide you into getting the right professionals attending to your car.
Thanks for the reply.
My car is Honda Jazz
I am pretty much a novice in terms of car detailing.
What they told me is -
First they will wash the car, then they will do some treatment for removing the minor hairline scratches, then they will apply the sealant (some polymer) and polish.
Also, they will clean and shampoo the interiors and apply some sort of interior detailing product to restore the shine and finish.
The entire treatment will take 9-10 hours.

They have a separate treatment for wash and wax and that costs only 700 bucks or so.
They deal exclusively with Meguiar's products.

My main reason for going for detailing is two fold -
When the car was new, the Honda guys had applied some sort of paint protection or teflon coating. So, dirt and water didn't use to stick to the car much making the cleaning job very easy. Lately, I have seen that dirt is sticking more to the paint making the cleaning tougher.
Also, the gloss and shine of a new car is going away slowly but surely.

Kindly give your inputs.
I have talked to Kforce and Glitz car spa in Hyderabad.
Old 17th August 2011, 12:26   #4723
BANNED

Thank you for your clarification. I am not aware of the companies you have mentioned but 9-10 hrs of detailing for a 1 year old Honda Jaz car is really surprising. Generally professionals take 1-2 hours to do the interiors for 5-6 old cars which have never been cleaned. I assume you have light scratches and your paint is intact. That would take 2 passes with a machine. One pass with a rotary polisher (not necessary) and another with an orbital machine. Each pass would take maximum 30-40 minutes. You mention that they are going to put a polymer on top. Ask them which one. Good polymers (Megs does not use a pure polymer) last 1-5 years. If I am guessing right, they may be using NXT. That is why you have been told to wax every few months. Are they asking you to visit them for a wash & wax every 2-3 months? If so, your eventual cost will increase by 700X3=2100.

When you bought the car new, I think 3M must have done the application of their wax. They do not have a teflon in their range. As sediments get entrapped in the wax, or the wax washes off the paint, loses its slickness. This is causing your car to gather more dust.

How much is the dealership charging you? I do not know the current rates but at least you are sure of the care they would take. If the difference is not too much I would go for the dealership rather than any other detailer. (Looking to what these persons are saying).

They are pulling a fast one on you.
Old 17th August 2011, 13:07   #4724
BHPian

Hey guys,

Please advise.

I am trying to get Porter cable DA polisher, but the guy says it would work at 110-120 volts.

What should I do?

Should I get a converter or search for an Indian one?
Old 17th August 2011, 13:11   #4725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
Thank you for your clarification. I am not aware of the companies you have mentioned but 9-10 hrs of detailing for a 1 year old Honda Jaz car is really surprising. Generally professionals take 1-2 hours to do the interiors for 5-6 old cars which have never been cleaned. I assume you have light scratches and your paint is intact. That would take 2 passes with a machine. One pass with a rotary polisher (not necessary) and another with an orbital machine. Each pass would take maximum 30-40 minutes. You mention that they are going to put a polymer on top. Ask them which one. Good polymers (Megs does not use a pure polymer) last 1-5 years. If I am guessing right, they may be using NXT. That is why you have been told to wax every few months. Are they asking you to visit them for a wash & wax every 2-3 months? If so, your eventual cost will increase by 700X3=2100.

When you bought the car new, I think 3M must have done the application of their wax. They do not have a teflon in their range. As sediments get entrapped in the wax, or the wax washes off the paint, loses its slickness. This is causing your car to gather more dust.

How much is the dealership charging you? I do not know the current rates but at least you are sure of the care they would take. If the difference is not too much I would go for the dealership rather than any other detailer. (Looking to what these persons are saying).

They are pulling a fast one on you.
Many thanks for your detailed reply.
My car is in a good shape. I just want that extra bit of shine and gloss like a new car and I want it to stay as long as possible.
Also, i want to make my cleaning job easier so that dirt and water do not stick to the paint.
I don't know all the details about the particular products but I can get it from them.
They have not asked me to come to them for waxing later. The owner of the shop suggested that I can do it myself.

I don't trust the dealership at all going by past experiences - they are not transparent and I don't have any confidence in them.

What kind of treatment do you suggest?

Last edited by adimicra : 17th August 2011 at 13:13.

Most Viewed