Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 02:07   #4741
Senior - BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Sorry for not going through the 300+ pages to look for the answers. Too many pages to go through, even with the search option.

Someone please guide me for the following:

What coating (wax, polish etc,) would you recommend for the following:

1) To minimize marks left after light rain showers

2) To take care of minor scratches on paint - both metal and bumpers.

3) To minimize swirl marks, which result on the other cars, thanks to the chaps who clean the car on a daily basis with little care.

4) To minimize damage to the windshield due to bird droppings.
(Some coating which which will minimize the adhesion between the dropping and glass, so that the wiper can take care of it without any significant damage)

A lot of Formula1 like products talk about not being usable on vinyl etc. Does that mean that one can't use it on bumpers?

If possible, please suggest both imported (high end and probably overpriced) products as well as good Indian equivalent ones.

Another Q - What do you think of the car cleaners (often branching out from some body-work garage) who come with their own cleaners/solvents and do the whole car for some Rs.300-400/- A friend was recommending it, but I am a bit skeptical.

Thanks.

Last edited by Poitive : 18th August 2011 at 02:10. Reason: Added another question.
Old 18th August 2011, 14:21   #4742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Sorry for not going through the 300+ pages to look for the answers. Too many pages to go through, even with the search option.

3) To minimize swirl marks, which result on the other cars, thanks to the chaps who clean the car on a daily basis with little care.

(Some coating which which will minimize the adhesion between the dropping and glass, so that the wiper can take care of it without any significant damage)

A lot of Formula1 like products talk about not being usable on vinyl etc. Does that mean that one can't use it on bumpers?

If possible, please suggest both imported (high end and probably overpriced) products as well as good Indian equivalent ones.

Another Q - What do you think of the car cleaners (often branching out from some body-work garage) who come with their own cleaners/solvents and do the whole car for some Rs.300-400/- A friend was recommending it, but I am a bit skeptical.

Thanks.

1)You can completly remove the marks left after rain by using a quick detailer .Alternatively you can use ONR.No need of any wax.Another way is to wash the car that i dont recommend

2)You have to get a rubbing compound for that.Meguiars Ultimate Compound is one of the best rubbing compound you can get if you have someone coming from the US.In india you can get Formula1 scratch out,3M Finesse it and waxpol rubbing compound.You can also use Sonax car polish or formula 1 metallic polish if the scratches are light

3)You cant remove swirls by hand.You can only hide them.And no you cant reduce them too.The best way to hide swirls is to apply wax containing fillers. Formula 1 Shine it all,Eagle one nano wax.If you can get from US ,the best ones are Classe AIO ,meguiars colorX.

4) You can apply a good quality wax to the windshield.It will take care of it.

Not just formula 1,All other detailing products have this mentioned if they are not to be used on vinyls.So dont use them.If done accidently,rub it off immediately.Also NEVER apply any kind of wax to plastic trims.They will become dull and white and the change is irreversable.

Check the auto-mall.in website.They have a lot of good products that they ship to anywhere in India.

And NEVER give your car to those 400-500 Rs polish wallas if you love your car.They will ruin it.Better to detail it yourself or get help of professional detailers like 3M.

Let me add a list of good products that are not so expensive and do their jobs very well
Wax- Collinite 845,meguiars NXT,Mothers FX syn Wax
Polish/Rubbing compound- Meguiars Ultimate compound,3M Finesse it,formula1 scratch Out.

Filler waxes- Classe AIO(Highly recommended.You can apply it anywhere-glass,paint,vinyls,trim), Eagle one nano wax

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 18th August 2011 at 14:29. Reason: More content added
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 14:57   #4743
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

Thanks.
1) a gentle wash with a quality car shampoo shall take care of light water spots if you remove them before the minerals get etched on to the paint, If the the watermarks are stubborn then you might have to use a fine polish to get rid of them them

2) Again, a high quality mild abrasive polish will remove minor scratches and swirl marks

3) a coat of synthetic sealant can make your car up to 20-25% scratch resistant, but still you need to take proper care while washing it. hose down the car first to remove loose debris, then either use 2 bucket method to wash your car, or use a grit guard in a single bucket method. wash your car with a microfiber wash mitt, lambs wool wash mitt or a soft natural sea sponge

4) A coat of synthetic sealant will solve the issue

5) No, use a vinyl & rubber dressing for that.

6) High end : Meguiars, Zaino, wolfgang, detail pro, swissvax
locally available : turtle nano wax

7) BEWARE : make sure they follow the right procedures as most of them do not have a professional training and they might end up putting more swirls on the car

8) check this out for more info on car detailing SteamandShine AutoSpa | Facebook

Last edited by twister : 18th August 2011 at 15:16.
twister is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 02:33   #4744
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @sagarpadaki and @twister. And sorry for being such a noob! I have more questions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I "
probably" need is a coat of wax or something, minor touching for scratches on the body and bumper, a coating/spray for the windshield to make it easier to remove the frequent droppings on it.

I am not sure if I was clear enough.

About the rain marks (and the like - marks from puddles and dust in general) I was talking about 'preventive' coatings than removing marks which were already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
1)You can completly remove the marks left after rain by using a quick detailer .Alternatively you can use ONR.No need of any wax.Another way is to wash the car that i dont recommend
What does a 'quick detailer' mean mate? No idea of what ONR either. (I feel like a noob now).

Quote:
2)... In india you can get Formula1 scratch out,3M Finesse it and waxpol rubbing compound.You can also use Sonax car polish or formula 1 metallic polish if the scratches are light
The US option may take time and isn't particularly convenient.

One place I visit has products from Formula1 and Armor and a very small selection of Eagle products. Can try to search for other brands, if particularly recommended. Waxpol is commonly available (there may even be one somewhere around the house).

How good is Waxpol as compared to other imported ones?
I could get this done, say once a month.

Scratches that need attention:
(a) Minor scratches on the car body
(b) One tiny but deep one on the bumper
(c) Another place on the bumper which has surface scratches. There is a very small part which has lost paint too, but it is not at all prominent due to the colour of the car, so am not too worried.
(d) Minor scratch on the headlight.

Quote:
3)You cant remove swirls by hand.You can only hide them.And no you cant reduce them too.The best way to hide swirls is to apply wax containing fillers. Formula 1 Shine it all,Eagle one nano wax.
Is a new car in question, so am looking for 'preventing swirls', but I don't really end up doing this stuff personally :( . Am looking at what best I can get out of the car cleaner and (a less than dependable) chauffeur.

Formula1 Shine it all is easily available (Rs.400 for a 16oz bottle). Seems to be a good option as it can be used on most surfaces.

Quote:
4) You can apply a good quality wax to the windshield.It will take care of it.
Any particular product recommendation?

Quote:
Not just formula 1,All other detailing products have this mentioned if they are not to be used on vinyls.So dont use them.
Does that apply to bumpers? Would they be considered as Vinyls?
What should one apply on them for scratches and as a preventive coating.

Quote:
Check the auto-mall.in website.They have a lot of good products that they ship to anywhere in India.
Thanks mate. Just checked. They have a lot of products. Just that I can't make head or tail of what may be good and what may not be.

At times, I think, why not just apply Waxpol with a few very clean cloths (soft cotton 'dhoti' cloths used up North for such stuff) and not worry too much!

Quote:
And NEVER give your car to those 400-500 Rs polish wallas if you love your car.They will ruin it.Better to detail it yourself or get help of professional detailers like 3M.
Don't think there are any 3M like outlets in Delhi. I also don't see myself spending a few grand on such stuff.

I wonder what they could ruin, if they have been working in denting-painting workshops. Maybe I am just being overly-cautious.

Quote:
Let me add a list of good products that are not so expensive and do their jobs very well
Wax- Collinite 845,meguiars NXT,Mothers FX syn Wax
Polish/Rubbing compound- Meguiars Ultimate compound,3M Finesse it,formula1 scratch Out.
I presume that the above is to be used as a general purpose wax to make beads out of water and to enhance shine of the paint.

Quote:
Filler waxes- Classe AIO(Highly recommended.You can apply it anywhere-glass,paint,vinyls,trim), Eagle one nano wax
I presume the above is for taking care of scratches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
1) a gentle wash with a quality car shampoo
Any particular shampoo brand?

Quote:
2) Again, a high quality mild abrasive polish will remove minor scratches and swirl marks
Again, what brands or products to use?

Quote:
3) a coat of synthetic sealant can make your car up to 20-25% scratch resistant, but still you need to take proper care while washing it. hose down the car first to remove loose debris, then either use 2 bucket method to wash your car, or use a grit guard in a single bucket method. wash your car with a microfiber wash mitt, lambs wool wash mitt or a soft natural sea sponge
Once again, for a noob like me, you'll have to tell me what to buy.

Quote:
5) No, use a vinyl & rubber dressing for that.
Not clear what is being referred to here.

Quote:
8) check this out for more info on car detailing SteamandShine AutoSpa | Facebook
[/quote]

Thanks for the link mate. They provide home service.
I have no idea of how these services are charged. Is this one reasonable in it's charges? Link to prices:
STEAM AND SHINE

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by Poitive : 19th August 2011 at 02:37.
Old 19th August 2011, 09:31   #4745
Senior - BHPian

A good quality wax will prevent/resist water spotting on the windshield and will ensure that the surface stays hydrophobic, making post rain cleanup much easier!
(Collinite 845 is good)

A quick detailer is what the name states! It contains polymers to lubricate the paint surface so that you can wipe it off without scratching the surface and it leaves a thin coat of protection behind! Great as drying aid and for pre-show off touch ups!

ONR is Optimum No Rinse. Its a concentrate which you can dilute in various ratios to make quick detailer, clay lubricant, no rinse car wash soln. etc.

Really a revolutionary product! After you wash your car with it, it also leaves behind a lil' protection and a great shine!

F1 scratch out is ok for hairline scratches!

Do get a clay kit too, if you're planning a extensive DIY.

Check by running your fingernail perpendicular to the scratch line. If the scratch catches your fingernail, its too deep to completely remove with rubbing compounds and polishes!

It can be minimized to a certain extent, but not completely!

Eagle one products are good! I'd say ditch the formula1 line and go with eagleone and armor all for tire shine and orange cleaning wipes.

EagleOne nanowax spray is quite a good spray wax and actually fills in hairline swirls to some extent.

their 20/20 glass cleaner is good too! I use sonax glass cleaner with 20/20. Do check out Reliance Autozone in Ambience mall, gurgaon for those! You also get lambwool wash mitts and jopasu microfibers there!

I've tried shineitall when I started detailing and even though it seemed ok, it didn't seem to hold up!!

If you're looking for a product that you can apply everywhere, like on paint, glass, rubber and plastic trim, alloys and even interiors, you'd want Optimum opti-seal!!

+ That is a Wipe-on Walk away product!! As in, you just wipe it on the paint or wherever you want with a foam applicator(that comes with it) and then it self flashes and you dont need to remove it like you'd remove excess wax after application.

But you do need to follow up on glass, to ensure streak free shine and max distortion free light transmission! It holds up great for 2 months or so! + you can put another layer after 30 or so minutes! But I'd still recommend layering after 12 hrs

Anything with paint gets treated with stuff meant for paint! Whats underneath the paint doesn't matter! Its the paint you're working with, not the vinyl! So you have to polish and wax it like any other section on the car!

--------

The waxes do so much more for the paint than just beading and shine!! They create a sacrificial barrier between environmental pollutants and your paint!

All the smoke from vehicle's exhaust pipes gets deposited on your paint + the sun constantly bombards the finish with UV trying to cause oxidation. A good quality wax, protects from all these and also make cleaning up the paint really easy!

Car shampoo - Sonax gloss shampoo is good!

Abel auto's Max3 shampoo is great if you're looking for thorough cleaning(but it strips off waxes and damages sealant coats)

You have to use a vinyl/rubber dressing on trim parts such as window seals, all the bare(unpainted) rubber and plastic parts on the car!(like front grille or air dam, wiper cowl, exterior trim around the side windows and windshield, roof rails, rear wiper if present. You can also dress all the rubber seals around the car to maintain longevity!

Same dressing can be used on the dashboard for protection against UV damage and fading.

Sonax makes a good protectant(vinyl dressing and protectant are the same thing). You can get it at reliance autozone!

There's a detail center in Gurgaon too - Divine Carzspa
They're quite good!

Contact Mr. Sanjay from - http://www.bringingbest.com/

Here you'll find clay kits, applicator pads, quality microfiber cloths, a collection of collinite waxes. + he's situated in Delhi and I've dealt with him in the past! Great seller and keeps adding great stuff!

Last edited by sohail99 : 19th August 2011 at 09:46.
sohail99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 16:03   #4746
Senior - BHPian

At last today got time to work on my ride with rain gods in my favor with no rains to cause any problems. Mine car is VW Vento TDi Pearl Black color April'11 model. The car was regularly washed by the car cleaner in the building which resulted in a whole lot of swirl marks, because the color being black it was more prominent and the car had lost its shine and glam.
So decided now its time to get serious otherwise the car will just deteriorate every day. There a lot a people who like to key a lot on the car which resulted in boot taking in a lot of beating, cant help with these morons.
So the work began today in the morning at 7:30 am. The car was already washed by the car washer but wanted to see the magic of ONR, so used the 2 buckets method and cleaned the car. ONR certainly cleans the car very well and leaves of coat of shine and protection and it also reduces a bit of swirl marks. I'm mighty impressed. It took me staggering 2 hrs straight to finish cleaning the car properly, every nook and corner.
Next part compounding with Formula 1 Scratch Out, cleared a few mild scratches with it, works good. Another 30 Min gone.
Then comes the major part, wax in wax out. Finally it was time to see the magic of the much anticipated Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance wax. Started with bonnet first to see how good it is. With one coat, bonnet was all changed, with 80% swirl marks gone and nice shine. Later did the roof, man this is really very tiring work. Finished waxing the whole car by 12:30 pm, I was just so tired. But the end result was amazing and I mean it.
My cars looks like new, with the car in its shining armor. Certainly 915 worked its magic. I would recommend ONR and 915 to all car enthusiast. At the end of day I stood all tired but my car was shining like never before. If it was not for my younger brother who did help me with waxing I wouldn't even be able to write this post with all the labor work that went in it.
So now the car cleaner will only clean the tires and mat, no longer the paint work.
In the end I would like to thank Captain Slow in bestowing me with confidence in 915 and all the Team-BHP members. I'm indebted.
Below is the video of water beading on bonnet with two coats of 915 wax.

The pictures I took was with my E72 which just didn't do justice, will take few snaps later and upload it.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 19th August 2011 at 16:07.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 17:27   #4747
Senior - BHPian

Guys i need to purchase a quick detailer for my cars and would like to know which one should i choose from the below listed ones:

1 Mothers 20016 FX Syn Spray Wax
2. Mothers California Gold™ Showtime Instant Detailer
3. Optimum No rinse
4. Eagle one Nanowax Spray

I am game for any other product too.
Old 19th August 2011, 17:55   #4748
Senior - BHPian

Optimum No Rinse is not available in that 128OZ bottle yet. Any place other than Auto Mall where we can get the ONR.

Any pointers would help.
Old 19th August 2011, 19:26   #4749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
A good quality wax will prevent/resist water spotting on the windshield and will ensure that the surface stays hydrophobic, making post rain cleanup much easier!
(Collinite 845 is good)

their 20/20 glass cleaner is good too! I use sonax glass cleaner with 20/20. Do check out Reliance Autozone in Ambience mall, gurgaon for those! You also get lambwool wash mitts and jopasu microfibers there!

But you do need to follow up on glass, to ensure streak free shine and max distortion free light transmission! It holds up great for 2 months or so! + you can put another layer after 30 or so minutes! But I'd still recommend layering after 12 hrs
Hi guys!

Facing a peculiar problem these days

I am facing excessive " clatter/chatter/judder " when I use wipers during rains.

Now , I just got the crap OEM wipers replaced with Bosch ones around a year back and the rubber seems to be OK(soft and smooth)

The wipers always clatter during downpour, be it drizzling when I use them at Interval mode , or at full blast when its raining cats and dogs.

The sound is pretty darn irritating!

I tried using Mr.Muscle Glass cleaner and then Mother's Car Wash on the windshield , they don't seem to work !

PS:- I noticed that water is retained for a moment in the path of the wiper after I poured a bucket of water on the glass, and it just stays there for a while on the portion that is swept by the wiper.

A Pic of the same:-
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20110819-18.15.04.jpg

PS 2:- Glass is super smooth to touch, with no scratches/swirls at all!

Any pointers?
Old 19th August 2011, 19:35   #4750
Senior - BHPian

You need to clay(use detailing clay) the glass to stop wiper clatter etc.

The bonded contaminants on the windshield might be interrupting wiper's smooth motion causing all the ruckus!

To check for bonded contaminants, first clean and dry the glass. Then feel the surface of the windshield with back of your hand or put your hand in a plastic bag and then feel the windshield with the palm of your hand in the baggy!

If you feel slight bumps etc. Those are bonded contaminants and need to be clayed to remove!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 19:44   #4751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500 View Post

I am facing excessive " clatter/chatter/judder " when I use wipers during rains.

The wipers always clatter during downpour, be it drizzling when I use them at Interval mode , or at full blast when its raining cats and dogs.

The sound is pretty darn irritating!

Any pointers?
Tried and tested solution:Get any decent clay and work on the windshield, well lubricated with a detailing solution. The cause of this (since you have changed the blades) is the particulate build up on the windshield. Clay it properly and you will have your windshield behaving well.

The diesel particulate is what makes the windscreen a mess in the rain as it is greasy and adherent. You will have to repeat the application at intervals of a month or so again depending on driving conditions.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 03:03   #4752
Senior - BHPian

@Sohail -

Wow!
Just pressing thanks to acknowledge your effort didn't seem enough.
Really, thanks for your detailed reply mate. Your car(s) must love you for the attention you seem to give to detailing.

Would you also please share the mobile number for Mr. Sanjay?

For the benefit of others am copying the contact info on the website here:

Quote:
Sanjay, Director
E.mail:
sanjay@bringingbest.com

Chad, Director

E.mail:
chad@bringingbest.com

Kristen, Financial Consultant
E.mail: kristen@bringingbest.com

Dr. Singh, Country Manager

E.mail:
singh@bringingbest.com
Phone: 9971199457

New Delhi, India
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
There's a detail center in Gurgaon too - Divine Carzspa
They're quite good!

Contact Mr. Sanjay from - www.bringingbest.com, New Delhi, India

Here you'll find clay kits, applicator pads, quality microfiber cloths, a collection of collinite waxes. + he's situated in Delhi and I've dealt with him in the past! Great seller and keeps adding great stuff!

Last edited by Poitive : 20th August 2011 at 03:05.
Old 21st August 2011, 14:17   #4753
Senior - BHPian

Guys do consider my post #4748 i need help on choosing a good quick detailer.
I will be using the said detailer over Collinite 845 coating hence need one which doesn't strips off the sealant's layer.
Old 21st August 2011, 20:38   #4754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500 View Post

Now , I just got the crap OEM wipers replaced with Bosch ones around a year back and the rubber seems to be OK(soft and smooth)
A note on wipers: they too tend to pick up muck - dust and diesel particulate. Clean your wipers regularly with your usual car shampoo and any quick detail.
If that is not enough, try Isopropyl alcohol or surgical spirit with shampoo.

For severe contamination, use 3M's 2000 grit water paper with a detail solution as lubricant and lightly drag along the rubber blade tips.
Wash thoroughly to ensure none of the grit remains on the rubber (since you would not want your windshield scratched with the trapped grit!)

This is the final fix for your existing wiper blades. Otherwise, replace the blades.
Old 22nd August 2011, 00:28   #4755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
...One very good pointer for products to use on your car is "what is safe for your face is safe for your car". Would you wash your face with Kerosene? If so, go ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
^^ I fully agree with ThinkBig and his philosophy "what is safe for your face is safe for your car".
Hi Friends,

Just one query - Not to doubt or question your posts, only to be aware and careful in future -

For Tar spots especially in the lower portion of the car (below the doors) - I have seen and used Kerosene/Tarpin oil to remove paint (like plastic paints or paints used for painting household windows/grills) from our hands/palm - dip a small piece of cloth in kerosene/tarpin oil - rub it in the spots, arms for a second or two, then rub it with a dry cloth and the paint is removed.

What I am trying to say here is - if something as soft and sensitive as our skin can accept the effect of these oils for few seconds without any burning sensation or damage to our skin, then how much damage can be caused by using these things in removing Tar etc in modern, technologically advanced car paints on advanced metal sheets (metal car body parts) ?

Please note, I'm not talking about washing car using cloth dipped in kerosene, just to remove the tar marks with probably say a Johnson ear buds kind of stuff dipped in kerosene, rubbing it for few seconds in Tar spots and then cleaning that surface with a dry m/f cloth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks