Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 23:15   #4846
BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Found the following at dirt blasters ( the 3M point on 80'road opp MS Ramaiah hospital)

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20110905367.jpgA superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20110905368.jpgA superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20110905369.jpgA superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20110905371.jpg

A bit pricey especially the wax. Anyone used them here and are they really that good to command the price? (I mean over the competing products) Thanks.

Last edited by optimist : 7th September 2011 at 23:20.
Old 7th September 2011, 23:48   #4847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Found the following at dirt blasters ( the 3M point on 80'road opp MS Ramaiah hospital)

A bit pricey especially the wax. Anyone used them here and are they really that good to command the price? (I mean over the competing products) Thanks.
Tech Wax is one of the best available. Been using it for more than a year now.
Old 8th September 2011, 12:31   #4848
Senior - BHPian

I got most of the products I was looking for -
  • Colinite 845
  • Meguiars clay kit - 2 clay bars and supershine micro
  • Amway car shampoo
  • Amway leather and vinyl cleaner - for interiors

Need to purchase a tire foam/gel and a glass cleaner I will be done.

Few questions -
  • Given that the rains are showing no signs of going away, does it make sense for me to wait a while for the detailing session?
  • Should I apply 2 thin layers of Colinite?
  • What is the recommendation of using a quick detailer for regular maintenance? Has anybody tried to use a diluted car shampoo as a quick detailer? If yes, what is the experience? I am thinking whether I should purchase a quick detailer or not? The Meguiar's quik detailer is readily available for 300 bucks (not the ultimate one), not sure how good/bad it is.
Old 8th September 2011, 12:34   #4849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Few questions -
  • Given that the rains are showing no signs of going away, does it make sense for me to wait a while for the detailing session?
  • What is the recommendation of using a quick detailer for regular maintenance? Has anybody tried to use a diluted car shampoo as a quick detailer? If yes, what is the experience? I am thinking whether I should purchase a quick detailer or not? The Meguiar's quik detailer is readily available for 300 bucks (not the ultimate one), not sure how good/bad it is.
1. Better wait for rains to go away but if you have a indoor parking no issues.
2. One layer is sufficient.
3. I would suggest most VFM is ONR.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 11:54   #4850
Senior - BHPian

I was searching for a Glass cleaner and assuming that neither Meguiar nor Mother's would be available at an affordable price I typed in Eagle one, sonax etc. but look what I found!!

http://stores.ebay.in/Auto-Mall-Indi...4.l1513&_pgn=1

Has anybody had any experience with this seller, the price for the glass cleaner and tyre clearner (both Mother's) is very very competitive, should one go ahead with this? I mean what can possibly go wrong here.

Last edited by fine69 : 9th September 2011 at 12:14.
Old 9th September 2011, 12:11   #4851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got most of the products I was looking for -
  • Colinite 845
  • Meguiars clay kit - 2 clay bars and supershine micro
  • Amway car shampoo
  • Amway leather and vinyl cleaner - for interiors

Need to purchase a tire foam/gel and a glass cleaner I will be done.

Few questions -

Why wait for the rains to go away .If you have access to a covered parking ,just go for it .

Monsoons do take a toll on the car paint .Also ,I find it easier to wax and polish during monsoons as there isnt much dust flying around
Old 9th September 2011, 12:54   #4852
Senior - BHPian

Just ordered the Mother's Glass Cleaner (24oz) for 330 from the same seller mentioned above, hopefully it'll be a good one.
Old 9th September 2011, 12:58   #4853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Has anybody had any experience with this seller.
I have ordered a couple of products from Auto Mall. Each time they were prompt and fast. The ONR being liquid was shipped by Blue Dart's surface trasport, for which they communicated in advance and it arrived in Hyderabad within 3 days. I give a thumbs-up to their service.
Old 9th September 2011, 13:06   #4854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
I have ordered a couple of products from Auto Mall. Each time they were prompt and fast. The ONR being liquid was shipped by Blue Dart's surface trasport, for which they communicated in advance and it arrived in Hyderabad within 3 days. I give a thumbs-up to their service.
Thanks for the response. Just before you posted I actually went ahead with the order at ebay. I was just surprised at the pricing that they've kept for the mothers products. I mean a clay bar system for 1350/- only! Heck, even Jopasu's clay bar was selling around 1.6-1.8k IIRC.

If I like the product I'd go ahead with their Tyre & Carpet cleaner as well. Actually I pampered my car till some time ago but when I wasn't able to get decent products at an affordable price I just gave up. With this seller things look a little promising yet again.

Anybody's tried Mothers' Tyre Cleaner and Carpet Cleaner here? Were the results satisfactory?
Old 11th September 2011, 08:59   #4855
BHPian

I recently ordered the Formula 1 Scratch Out Liquid Rubbing Compound. I have a Caviar Black Chevrolet Cruze LTZ. The instructions printed on the Scratch Out bottle state:

Quote:
For best results: Not recommended for use on vinyl tops, metallized plastic trim, decals, flat black paint or simulated wood panels. Do not use on cracked or extremely worn paint finishes. Will not remove deep scratches...
What does 'flat' black paint mean? Does this mean I shouldn't use it on my car?
Old 11th September 2011, 14:20   #4856
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
I recently ordered the Formula 1 Scratch Out Liquid Rubbing Compound. I have a Caviar Black Chevrolet Cruze LTZ. The instructions printed on the Scratch Out bottle state:

What does 'flat' black paint mean? Does this mean I shouldn't use it on my car?
"Flat black paint" is a matt finish paint. Your Cruze does not have it and has a 2 coat (basecoat clearcoat) paint. Go ahead and use it.

Personally, I have found the formula 1 scratch out pretty useless. I now use a normal paste rubbing compound which is much more better. Try motomax or other good brand. Use it very carefully since you don't want to remove too much topcoat off your paint and only use it on the areas where you have deep scratches. After using the rubbing compound, apply a wax (whichever one you normally use) to protect the paint.
SAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 14:40   #4857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
"Flat black paint" is a matt finish paint. Your Cruze does not have it and has a 2 coat (basecoat clearcoat) paint. Go ahead and use it.

Personally, I have found the formula 1 scratch out pretty useless. I now use a normal paste rubbing compound which is much more better. Try motomax or other good brand. Use it very carefully since you don't want to remove too much topcoat off your paint and only use it on the areas where you have deep scratches. After using the rubbing compound, apply a wax (whichever one you normally use) to protect the paint.
Thanks SAS. I have a dent and scratch (described at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2490463) on the rear wheel arch on the driver's side, and a small dent with a minor scratch on the front wheel arch on the co-driver's side. I ordered the Carnauba car wax for general maintenance but thought I'd also try the scratch out. I understand from your post that I should use it with caution.

Should I get the scratch fixed (during the upcoming servicing) before using the Scratch Out for the first time? I anyway have to wait until the Carnauba wax arrives.

Last edited by darthvader : 11th September 2011 at 14:44.
Old 11th September 2011, 16:57   #4858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • What is the recommendation of using a quick detailer for regular maintenance? Has anybody tried to use a diluted car shampoo as a quick detailer?
  • Two layers would last a longer time/ I tried using dilute turtle zip wax shampoo as a lube for claying but it is no good, clay breaks up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
1. Better wait for rains to go away but if you have a indoor parking no issues.
2. One layer is sufficient.
3. I would suggest most VFM is ONR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Why wait for the rains to go away .If you have access to a covered parking ,just go for it .

Monsoons do take a toll on the car paint .Also ,I find it easier to wax and polish during monsoons as there isnt much dust flying around
Yes monsoons do take a toll. I just came back from a drive to bangalore approx 2300 km in 5 days. raining throughout the onward journey and intermittently on the return. The car sides were very dirty. so first shampoo wash took off 90 % of the grime. Next with a hand held spray gun applied refined kerosene on the lower half of the doors and running board. Another wash with shampoo and viola, a shiny car with a silky finish.

PS the car had been clayed and collinited about 2 months ago.
The spray from the tyres, while they are squeezing out the water from under them when rolling, also squeeze out some tar particles which stick to the side of the car and these require kerosene or diesel for removal. similar tar particles can be found on the front of the car with remnants of dead bugs. Most go with kerosene and shampoo.
Old 11th September 2011, 20:33   #4859
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post

It depends upon how deep the scratch has gone through. If you can post some pictures, maybe we can help you.

If only the clearcoat is scratched, then rubbing compound should be able to restore it to new. If it has gone past the clearcoat and touched the paint, then too it should be ok, but be very slow and gentle with the rubbing compound on the paint (basecoat is softer than clearcoat). If it has gone through and you can see the primer / metal, no rubbing compound can help you and it needs to be repaired at the workshop. Depending how extensive the damage is, they may ask you to repaint the panel.

The problem with living in a city is that scratches do happen. I've got plenty on my Alto over the past 7 years . I didn't bother to repaint the entire panel for minor scratches. I used rubbing compound, and where it was deep, I just took some enamel paint and touched it up with a very fine brush. It's important to cover the metal where the scratch has penetrated both the paint and the primer else rust shall settle in.
Old 11th September 2011, 20:50   #4860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
You guys are lucky in Blr, the Pune 3M showroom for some reason doesn't store most of the Meguiar`s product (NXT tech wax, UQD ...) and they say a wait time of at least 2-3 months for the product to arrive (if at all!).

NXT tech wax 2.0 --> Its a bit pricey compared to other available products, however quality wise its superior, perhaps the only exception would be Collinite845. Again, Technically and as per Meguiar`s mktng. person (also you can check with @RemingtonSteele for 1st hand review) this acts as a "Sealant" and pure/insulator wax can be applied after NXT Tech Wax 2.0. Tire shine foam is very good, frankly the products you bought are quality products and enough to take care of your car and keep it shining

The more clean the surface before applying wax/sealant the better, if the surface is clayed before applying sealant/waxing it stays longer.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 11th September 2011 at 21:05. Reason: addition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks