Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 14:50   #4996
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Eagle One wheel & tire cleaner is very effective. I have tried several products & this one is better.
You can follow the listed procedure for best results:
1) Liberally spray the cleaner on the tire sidewalls & wheels (imp: make sure the wheels are cool to the touch, & do not pre-rinse the tires).
2) Let the solution dwell for 30 secs
3) Agitate with brush (spray on more solution if the tire is very dirty & agitate again)
4) Wash off with a hose
5) Wipe the tires & wheels down with a towel.
I have gotten better results if I did not pre-rinse the tires with water before application.
Thanks man.
If possible, can you upload a pic of the wheels and tires after cleaning with Eagle one A-Z ?
Old 7th October 2011, 15:51   #4997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Thanks man.
If possible, can you upload a pic of the wheels and tires after cleaning with Eagle one A-Z ?
Did you already order this A-Z cleaner from autofresh?
Old 7th October 2011, 18:06   #4998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Thanks man.
I will do that this weekend. Was waiting for the freaky rains to stop completely. It just pains you to see the car getting dirty immediately after a nice wash.
mb_jg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 19:48   #4999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Did you already order this A-Z cleaner from autofresh?
Not yet but plan to do it soon. Will wait for mb_jg to post the pics.
Old 7th October 2011, 20:28   #5000
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Guys
During the last heavy downpour, to reduce the mist I tried cleaning my windshield from inside with many clean paper hand towels. Results were not satisfactory - I could see milky white swirls on the glass. Then I took glass cleaning spray I kept in the car thinking that will remove any grease and wiped again - no luck still!! The milkiness was very stubborn and it wasn't a mist formation, something else. Funnily on a sunny day the glass cleaner leaves my windshield spik and span.

Whats the problem here? How can I remove the milky film formation on my glass during a downpour? I use Sonax liquid in the windshield spray tank, but that cleans on the outside.

Because of this I have no confidence to drive during rains. :(

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 7th October 2011 at 20:32.
Old 7th October 2011, 21:31   #5001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Guys
During the last heavy downpour, to reduce the mist I tried cleaning my windshield from inside with many clean paper hand towels. Results were not satisfactory - I could see milky white swirls on the glass. Then I took glass cleaning spray I kept in the car thinking that will remove any grease and wiped again - no luck still!! The milkiness was very stubborn and it wasn't a mist formation, something else. Funnily on a sunny day the glass cleaner leaves my windshield spik and span.

Whats the problem here? How can I remove the milky film formation on my glass during a downpour? I use Sonax liquid in the windshield spray tank, but that cleans on the outside.

--Ragul
Found a RAIN-X glass care kit here in Boston, US. not sure where you might be able to get in India.

the kit contains
1) RAIN-X windshield/glass cleaner - helps bead the water.
2) RAIN-X windscreen washer fluid
3) RAIN-X Anti-Fog

All the products are just brilliant. Esp the Anti-Fog which might solve your problem. In spite of the temperature increasing in the cabin it never fogged up the glass.

Wish I had it with me in India.
Old 9th October 2011, 10:57   #5002
BHPian

Quote:
Guys
Results were not satisfactory - I could see milky white swirls on the glass. .. The milkiness was very stubborn and it wasn't a mist formation, something else.

Whats the problem here? How can I remove the milky film formation on my glass during a downpour?
Think this problem has been discussed quite often earlier, the problem being locating the posts !

On the outside of the windscreen, anything from diesel particulate to dead insects and bird droppings spoil the surface. Wash thoroughly with car shampoo. Clean the windscreen thoroughly with a small quantity of Isopropyl alcohol(IPA), taking care not to get it on the beading. Use a new traditional shaving blade to gently scrape off adherent muck from the windshield. On the inside of the windscreen, just use IPA. Then rub down the windscreen thoroughly inside and outside with clay and a detail solution.

Wipe the wiper blades with dilute IPA. If still gritty, use a 1500 grit size 3M waterpaper with small quantity of detail as lubricant. Wash thoroughly. If that does not substantially improve the clean sweep of the blade, just replace it.

You will wind up with a crystal clear windshield and very good night vision in the rain (given that you have reasonable lighting). Repeat this operation at regular intervals (2weeks to a month) to keep the windshield clean as particulate build up is heavy on our roads. Happy Driving - in the rain.

Last edited by basky : 9th October 2011 at 10:59.
Old 9th October 2011, 12:19   #5003
BHPian

Dear Basky,
My '11 Polo & '06 Alto have severe swirl marks. I believe they are the result of cleaning done every morning. I have told the guy several times to wash the clothese properly so no dirt remains on the cloth but he takes it half-heartedly . I agree that i dont have any other "regular & consistent" guy in my neighborhood who does a better job then him. Last week he told me that the marks are because of the poor quality cloth. He said i should get him the Yellow cotton cloths available in the market. Now I am against those cloths as they have a lot of lint and are useless after about 20-30 washes (1 month). I give him cotton vests (jockey make) which i feel are the best for cleaning.

Pl. suggest a remedy as I cuss everytime i see the swirls.
Also suggest a DIY remedy to remove the swirls - I dont have any buffing machines & I dont want to use a rubbing compound.
Old 9th October 2011, 12:38   #5004
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
Think this problem has been discussed quite often earlier, the problem being locating the posts !

On the outside of the windscreen, anything from diesel particulate to dead insects and bird droppings spoil the surface. Wash thoroughly with car shampoo. Clean the windscreen thoroughly with a small quantity of Isopropyl alcohol(IPA), taking care not to get it on the beading. Use a new traditional shaving blade to gently scrape off adherent muck from the windshield. On the inside of the windscreen, just use IPA. Then rub down the windscreen thoroughly inside and outside with clay and a detail solution.

Wipe the wiper blades with dilute IPA. If still gritty, use a 1500 grit size 3M waterpaper with small quantity of detail as lubricant. Wash thoroughly. If that does not substantially improve the clean sweep of the blade, just replace it.

You will wind up with a crystal clear windshield and very good night vision in the rain (given that you have reasonable lighting). Repeat this operation at regular intervals (2weeks to a month) to keep the windshield clean as particulate build up is heavy on our roads. Happy Driving - in the rain.
Thanks. Whats this clay? Where can I get it?

--Ragul
Old 9th October 2011, 13:19   #5005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Get him a good microfiber. Should not cost you much and does not create swirls. But ensure to wash it properly when it gets dirty.
One of the link where you can get the microfibers.

BB Impex (P) Ltd. New Delhi, India, 5 Pack Yellow Microfiber

Quote:
Thanks. Whats this clay? Where can I get it?

--Ragul
Check the mothers clay bar, which is easily available in bangalore now.
Products - Auto-Mall.in
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 16:55   #5006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Also suggest a DIY remedy to remove the swirls - I dont have any buffing machines & I dont want to use a rubbing compound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Get him a good microfiber. Should not cost you much and does not create swirls. But ensure to wash it properly when it gets dirty.
If you want to get rid of the swirls, you have to do detailing - paint correction actually. But as rk_sans said to prevent it you use a clean microfiber. How you manage to upgrade your man-friday's method of working will be the primary issue.
Old 9th October 2011, 19:51   #5007
BHPian

I had a query may be sohail can provide some input . How Effective are Autoglym Products specially the polish and Wax/sealant ?
Old 9th October 2011, 20:29   #5008
BHPian

Quote:
Guys

--Ragul
The so called milky formation is the left over glass cleaner left inside by the wipes and get worse by the water condensation (mist) during rains. I use normal window cleaner (ammonia based, blue colour). Wiping off the liquid while cleaning is tricky. Paper towels leave lint and would not wipe off uniformly. I had used newspaper (Indian express or The Hindu, preferably without colour prints. TOI is not good at this) to wipe off the cleaner and it does a good job.

Now, to prevent mist in the first place, you could run the AC with the blower directed towards the windshield. Another permanent solution is to have the vent visors/rain guards installed. You could drive with the glass rolled down with 1-2 inch gap even during heavy downpour and can avoid unnecessary AC. Believe me, once you are used to it you won't drive a car without it during the rains. Highly recommended if you drive a lot in rains.

Last edited by bejoy : 9th October 2011 at 20:41.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 20:32   #5009
Senior - BHPian

I havent used autoglym, but heard that their hd wax gives a deep wet look(but that in turn depends on your paint condition)

Have heard that their glass polish and clay are good. I'd suggest you search around for reviews of whatevet autoglym stuff you're looking to buy! If you 're looking to import them, you can get better stuff here from sanjay@bbimpex, automall or autofresh.in!

Old 9th October 2011, 21:12   #5010
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The so called milky formation is the left over glass cleaner left inside by the wipes and get worse by the water condensation (mist) during rains. I use normal window cleaner (ammonia based, blue colour). Wiping off the liquid while cleaning is tricky. Paper towels leave lint and would not wipe off uniformly. I had used newspaper (Indian express or The Hindu, preferably without colour prints. TOI is not good at this) to wipe off the cleaner and it does a good job.

Now, to prevent mist in the first place, you could run the AC with the blower directed towards the windshield. Another permanent solution is to have the vent visors/rain guards installed. You could drive with the glass rolled down with 1-2 inch gap even during heavy downpour and can avoid unnecessary AC. Believe me, once you are used to it you won't drive a car without it during the rains. Highly recommended if you drive a lot in rains.
Thanks. I use the thick paper towels that don't leave behind any lint. I think it may be the Kiwi window cleaner solution. I will get a new one. Unfortunately the Gypsy doesn't come with A/C. And there are no door visors/rain guards for the Gypsy in the market - very hard to get.

--Ragul

Most Viewed