Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2012, 21:48   #6016
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

^^ any 800w - 1000w vacuum cleaner can do , just brush the carpet with carpet cleaner and remove the excess moisture with vacuum.

its better to get a vacuum with blower attachment , as it will be handy in other places as well.
NOTORIOUS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 21:54   #6017
Distinguished - BHPian

Microfibre is an even bigger friend inside the car than it is outside!

Especially on textured plastics. It gets right into that texture and drags the dirt out. Try dry: if necessary use a very, very small amount of moisture.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 22:01   #6018
BHPian

What kind of vacuum cleaner is better - the one that plugs into the car mobile phone charger or a regular household vacuum cleaner? Power connectivity is not an issue as my car is near the living room.
Old 26th July 2012, 00:15   #6019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I completed the Klasse AIO application and buffing. The car does look clean now, although there is no additional shine to it yet. Maybe it will come through once i use the sealant and top it off with Wax.
Paint sealant like Klasse AIO will offer you good paint protection but the shine wont be as good as Carnauba based wax. Since its also a polish, the shine would be very limited. On application of Klasse Sealant you would get that shine.

Quote:
I will consolidate and write a full post once it is completed tomorrow (hopefully). Right now i have aching wrists and biceps. As Mr. Miyagi said, Wax on Wax off, Wax on Wax off, Wax on Wax off.
Don't over do yourself in just one day. Applying next coat after a day or two when the pain has subsided would be a better idea than straining the muscles. Take due care, of yourself.

Quote:
One more thing, i needed to check one thing from the experts (el_lobo you there?). The applicator i used to apply Klasse AIO turned almost black. Is this normal, or did I do something wrong? Posting a snap to demonstrate what i mean. The one on the left is a new applicator, on the right is the one I used to apply AIO.
Is your car of black color? The Klasse AIO removes oxidation & earlier coats of wax & sealant and other blemishes which could have attributed applicator pad turning black. Another reason could be by mistake you rubbed it against rubber beading which makes any cloth/applicator black. Do not worry, just wash it and it would be back to new.

The applicator pad that you have shown looks more like a micro fiber than an foam applicator pad. In the picture you posted earlier showing your detailing set which also had yellow foam applicator pad, use them instead of these. Easily washable and can be reused just after washing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
What kind of vacuum cleaner is better - the one that plugs into the car mobile phone charger or a regular household vacuum cleaner? Power connectivity is not an issue as my car is near the living room.
Better off with a proper household vacuum cleaner than one which works from cars 12V cigarette socket, since household vacuum cleaner provide good wattage and suction power. As power connectivity is not an issue and proper vacuum cleaner can even be used for household purpose too.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 07:59   #6020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
OT, can somebody point me to a similar thread that focuses on Interior detailing? I am confused whether to invest in a vacuum cleaner and what kind. I want to know if I can wash the interiors with water and soap. stuff like that.
I use Forbes Easy clean Vacuum cleaner to clean the carpet and upholstery of my cars. It also has a blower function which comes in handy while cleaning the door jambs. Small and portable, it easily picks up great amount of dirt.
BTW It has quite a no. of attachments bundled with it too.

For interior cleaning you can use car wash solution mixed with water in a spray bottle & a piece of sponge to clean the plastic parts (grainy textured) of your car. It works well for me.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-forbeseasyclean__78649_zoom.jpg  

Last edited by samsag12 : 26th July 2012 at 08:00.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 08:26   #6021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor
I have found that house hold vaccum cleaner >1000w is best as it sucks better and also blows. The blower feature enable us to blow off dust in engine bay and also to blow off water seaped in between doors when you wash the car. Also you will benefit doubly as this can be used for both home & car. In flipkart I have seen Panasonic's for Rs.2,800, Black &Decker's Rs.3,800 and both has blowers.

I have noticed that 12V vaccum cleaners which is attached to car just makes noise and does not clean the under carpet area, please avoid this.

Last edited by HighOctane : 26th July 2012 at 08:30.
HighOctane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 10:12   #6022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Don't over do yourself in just one day. Applying next coat after a day or two when the pain has subsided would be a better idea than straining the muscles. Take due care, of yourself.

Is your car of black color? The Klasse AIO removes oxidation & earlier coats of wax & sealant and other blemishes which could have attributed applicator pad turning black. Another reason could be by mistake you rubbed it against rubber beading which makes any cloth/applicator black. Do not worry, just wash it and it would be back to new.

The applicator pad that you have shown looks more like a micro fiber than an foam applicator pad. In the picture you posted earlier showing your detailing set which also had yellow foam applicator pad, use them instead of these. Easily washable and can be reused just after washing too.
Yes, i think i had overdone myself yesterday, but i'll take it easy today. I have decided to put in 2 coats of sealant. Today i will put in first coat of Klasse SG. Do Coat 2 tomorrow and finally Collinite on Saturday.

My car is light blue in colour, one of those rare colours you see in Swift, known as Ozone Blue. I may have accidentally touched the rubber beadings and thats why the pad may have turned black. Washing the pad in liquid soap (Genteel) did clean it and now it is almost like new.

I will use the foam (round) applicator as you suggested.
Old 26th July 2012, 12:13   #6023
Senior - BHPian

I think interior cleaning of carpet and fabric is very tricky. If there are stains, then it is extremely difficult to get back to the original condition.

Vacuuming is good to the point of picking up particles, but how does one get rid of stains due to mud, sweat etc?
Old 26th July 2012, 12:29   #6024
BHPian

^^^

Try This it is locally available

i use it on carper , seats and beige colored lower dash and trims. it works wonders .
  1. Spray foam on areas to be cleaned.
  2. Wait for 20-30 secs.
  3. scrub with soft brush or foam applicator.
  4. clean with micro fibre cloth.

I follow these steps and i am happy.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-41a8xt3pg1l._sl500_aa300_.jpg  

NOTORIOUS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 14:08   #6025
Senior - BHPian

Ok.. I did a quick search for this. Seems this now comes with Armor All branding. Is it the same as STP manufactured product?
The cost is around Rs. 395 + shipping on ebay.in and Vicky.in.
Old 26th July 2012, 20:53   #6026
BHPian

@ Notorious - STP is looked down upon in the US so please share if the product is good for all surfaces. It certainly looks promising. I was thinking a quick Vaccum and this foam should do it. The floor mats can be washed in conventional manner. I think Sonax has an Interior Cleaning Spray while Meguiar's has some kind of Interior Detailing Wipes.

On an unrelated note, I just paid for a Dupont Scratch Remover Stick on ebay. It is a clear coat with self tip.
I was never keen on using rubbing compound on minor scratches as they thin the clear coat and don't offer any protection to the scratch. This Dupont product on the other hand offers excellent protection to the scratch from the elements.
It won't REMOVE or COVER the scratch as such though.
Dupont-Pro-Fusion Color Car Scratch Repair Stick Touch Up Pen Any Color all | eBay

I will post a review with pictures once i get my hands on it. I have also written to com Paint to introduce the Oceanic Blue shade for Fiat.

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 26th July 2012 at 20:59.
Old 27th July 2012, 14:27   #6027
BHPian

Day 3 of detailing:

Applied 2nd coat of Klasse Sealant Glaze (KSG). The KSG cured for almost a day and man what a shine. I cannot believe that my 5.7 years old car could shine this much. I have decided to have 3 coats of KSG as suggested by some detailing forums with a day's gap in between coats. This helps the sealant to cure (bond) with the paint. I also coated my alloys with Klasse AIO and the results are equally good.

Tomorrow i will do the final coat of KSG and then top it off with Collinite 845. Few pics attached. They dont do justice to the shine the car has now. Since it is raining today, i dont want to take the car outside. Hopefully if it is sunny over the weekend, i would take it out for snaps.

I dont feel like taking it out nowadays, for the simple reason it would get dirty :-(
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010336.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010338.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010341.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010343.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010344.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010345.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010348.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010355.jpg  

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 27th July 2012 at 14:43.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 20:15   #6028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day 3 of detailing:

The KSG cured for almost a day and man what a shine. I cannot believe that my 5.7 years old car could shine this much. I have decided to have 3 coats of KSG as suggested by some detailing forums with a day's gap in between coats. This helps the sealant to cure (bond) with the paint. I also coated my alloys with Klasse AIO and the results are equally good.
Superb results! The pics don't do any justice thanks to the poor lighting, you can try increasing the exposure and clicking if you're using a P&S, lot of options if you've a DSLR on hand. To an extent,the one pic in B&W gives an idea of what you've achieved

A query, what did you use on the wheels ?Just Hot rims cleaner or did you top it off with something

Last edited by shashank.nk : 27th July 2012 at 20:17. Reason: added line
Old 27th July 2012, 20:30   #6029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Superb results! The pics don't do any justice thanks to the poor lighting, you can try increasing the exposure and clicking if you're using a P&S, lot of options if you've a DSLR on hand. To an extent,the one pic in B&W gives an idea of what you've achieved

A query, what did you use on the wheels ?Just Hot rims cleaner or did you top it off with something
I agree. I was just standing and appreciating the result. Today being Lakshmi puja lot of gentlemen in our apartment were around when i was oggling at the car. They must have thought i am nuts

I used a Point and Shoot. I will take out my DSLR tomorrow and try to take better pics. My DSLR has been gathering dust and now is a good option to take it out.

I used Klasse AIO in the alloys and only Megs Hot Tire Foam in the tyres.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 11:28   #6030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC

I agree. I was just standing and appreciating the result. Today being Lakshmi puja lot of gentlemen in our apartment were around when i was oggling at the car. They must have thought i am nuts

I used a Point and Shoot. I will take out my DSLR tomorrow and try to take better pics. My DSLR has been gathering dust and now is a good option to take it out.

I used Klasse AIO in the alloys and only Megs Hot Tire Foam in the tyres.
How is the megs tire foam? Does it give a glossy or Matt finish?? How long does it last?

Most Viewed