Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 22:29   #6196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve

I am no detailing expert (there are my Gurus on this thread) but taking a shot at it. Since you want to spend no more than 30 mins per week you can do a couple of things. First you need a kit of stuff. I recommend ONR for its multiple uses, A bottle of Collinite 845, a tin of turtle wax or Klasse AIO or Eagle Nano Wax gel, 4-5 MF Cloths, a Chamois (Synthetic is also ok). A couple of clean Cotton cloths.

Wash the car with ONR. Dry it well with a chamois first (remember to store the chamois wet - esp if synthetic). Then use a MF cloth to dry it completely. Wouldnt take more than 20 mins. Then apply a layer of Collinite 845 (spreads really thin) Apply thin layer as possible as it is easy to remove. 10 min or so and you are done. Then go home do some nice stuff for 30 mins. After you are back down your car should have a white layer, wipe your car with a Mf cloth (Wipe dont rub) you will see a nice very basic shine on your car.
Next weekend, just wash your car with ONR and now top up the c845 with some other wax for the deep shine, I like Eagle Nano wax others like other stuff. After this a quick dust down with your Jopasu duster should be enough to keep your car looking nice. Also you can top it up maybe once in two months with c845/wax based on how it looks. If you have some hard to remove stain (like bird droppings) just keep a bottle filled with a solution on ONR and a MF Cloth handy to wipe it off.
Hey thanks for the quick response. Although there is no real shortcut to good detailing, it's good to see some basic level stuff can be done effectively.

Couple of questions: i guess collinite 845 is a wax. How is it any different from eagle nano or others. Why do I need both? I saw one on eBay for some 1500 bucks. Is it a fair price

Also, since I will be doing this for the first time, is there a chance of messing up and ruining it all?

Do you recommend a paint sealant treatment? It will cost me about 4k and 3m guys said it will take care of any sort of paint protection for at least 8-9 months.
Old 9th September 2012, 22:37   #6197
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Fetch collinite 845 from sanjay @ bringingbest , you will get it around 1200 or 1300 and it will be genuine too.

although 845 says its wax but it is a kind of sealant which will protect your car for approx 4 - 5 months and you have to re apply coat after it.

this treatment if do by yourself and done correctly will offer more protection then 3M.
NOTORIOUS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 23:18   #6198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS
Fetch collinite 845 from sanjay @ bringingbest , you will get it around 1200 or 1300 and it will be genuine too.

although 845 says its wax but it is a kind of sealant which will protect your car for approx 4 - 5 months and you have to re apply coat after it.

this treatment if do by yourself and done correctly will offer more protection then 3M.
Sure. Was anyways planning to write to him before making any purchase.

Another quick question around microfiber cloth. I see there are far too many types. Are they all different for different purpose or to can just get one jopasu 3 pack and use it for applying ONR, collinite et all?
Old 9th September 2012, 23:52   #6199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Currently, the car is washed/cleaned by a cleaner everyday (not the best option but better than having a dirty car...
Possibly not, unless your cleaner is trained by you and you can trust them.

Rubbing the abrasive dust into your paintwork with a wet cloth, which is what most car cleaners seem to do, is like taking sandpaper to it. Done daily, this will soon show. Better to put up with the car being dirty sometimes.

On the other hand, if you have a cleaner that does it right ... Luxury
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 09:17   #6200
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone,

I am somebody who has always been a lot more interested in the mechanicals of a car rather than the cosmetics. For almost a decade now, I have put my trust in the good old Waxpol (orange tin) & it has been superb.
However, with that itch to experiment with something new that may just turn out to be even better, I started using Collinite. Though expensive, an expense of a thousand bucks once a year didn't sound like unbearable.

Now, I stay at a place where the parking lot is basically an open ground, which doesn't have any grass to hold the sand/mud & hence, my black car is almost always covered with dust. Another big problem is that none of the waxes seem to last longer than a couple of weeks. The surface becomes really coarse & I am left with a sulking feeling because my hard efforts are put to waste so easily.
I read up on the Internet & find that sealants are a good way of ensuring a longer lasting protective coating. Is it true? Also, I am a sucker for paint protection & would never want to use any products that may have even the slightest of abrasives or something that compromises on its protection capabilities for a little extra of that slick shine.

So, what are my options for clear coat safe sealants i.e. those that come without any abrasives? Secondly, I am putting up in Delhi, so what are the best places (on & off the Internet) from where such products can be bought?
And just to add, I have heard about Klasse, Wolfgang, Blackfire (WOW, didn't know there was a company that had the same name as my handle here on TBHP) & Optimum (goes by the name of Opti-Seal) sealants being good, but do they contain any abrasives? And how good are they?

Drive safe & thanks for reading this long post (apologies for the long post).

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 10th September 2012 at 09:23.
Old 10th September 2012, 09:29   #6201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am somebody who has always been a lot more interested in the mechanicals of a car rather than the cosmetics. For almost a decade now, I have put my trust in the good old Waxpol (orange tin) & it has been superb.
However, with that itch to experiment with something new that may just turn out to be even better, I started using Collinite. Though expensive, an expense of a thousand bucks once a year didn't sound like unbearable.

Now, I stay at a place where the parking lot is basically an open ground, which doesn't have any grass to hold the sand/mud & hence, my black car is almost always covered with dust. Another big problem is that none of the waxes seem to last longer than a couple of weeks. The surface becomes really coarse & I am left with a sulking feeling because my hard efforts are put to waste so easily.
I read up on the Internet & find that sealants are a good way of ensuring a longer lasting protective coating. Is it true? Also, I am a sucker for paint protection & would never want to use any products that may have even the slightest of abrasives or something that compromises on its protection capabilities for a little extra of that slick shine.

So, what are my options for clear coat safe sealants i.e. those that come without any abrasives? Secondly, I am putting up in Delhi, so what are the best places (on & off the Internet) from where such products can be bought?
And just to add, I have heard about Klasse, Wolfgang, Blackfire (WOW, didn't know there was a company that had the same name as my handle here on TBHP) & Optimum (goes by the name of Opti-Seal) sealants being good, but do they contain any abrasives? And how good are they?

Drive safe & thanks for reading this long post (apologies for the long post).

Amongst mentioned , i would Highly recommend Klasse AIO and KLASSE Sealent. But not sure of the availability in india. Its very easy to apply and provides brilliant protection.If you have some one coming from the US you can ask them to carry along a 16OZ can of both.Worth every penny.

Next is the black fire wet diamond paint sealent.Opti-seal is also a good sealent but i find it very costly for the quantity it comes with.These are availabe with Sanjay BB IMPEX. You can get a quote from him

Wolfgang is not available in india .

I would suggest Klasse brothers anyday,ie, if you have some one to get it or if you are going to US in near future. Otherwise amongst the products available in India, i will recommend the BlackFire Wet Diamond.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 16:44   #6202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I have personally used Klasse Kit (AIO + Sealant). I must tell you the results are awesome. Read this post. I must tell you that the pictures do not do justice to the slickness and shine achieved. I got the Klasse through somoene coming from stateside. Even after 6 weeks water still beads as if it was detailed just now. In between i have pressure washed my car twice and my car is now left exposed to the elements for 3 weeks constantly. I use Jopasu duster everyday and quick detail using ONR Water solution alternate day or once in 3 days, depending on the dust accumulated.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 10th September 2012 at 16:47.
Old 10th September 2012, 17:17   #6203
Senior - BHPian

Sagar, between the Klasse combo and BF combo, which one is better according to you ?
Old 10th September 2012, 19:50   #6204
Senior - BHPian

Guys need your help! I have friend coming down from the US and he'll be carrying my first order from Autogeek

Mostly ordered Megs products not available here/or seriously overpriced here, and a few other like BF sealant and MF's. I'm on a budget so Pinnacle/Wolfgang were out of reach.

AG has this 'buy one, get one free' offer and i'm very tempted to either buy the Pinnacle Ultra Poly clay or DP Poli Coat.

Which one is a better buy ?

Also,has anyone bought and used these Cobra guzzlers ? It costs $27 for two drying towels, worth the price ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 10th September 2012 at 19:51.
Old 10th September 2012, 20:01   #6205

Whats the best way to clean window glass from the inside. Will a dry microfiber do the job or will it put scratches?
Old 10th September 2012, 20:29   #6206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk
Sagar, between the Klasse combo and BF combo, which one is better according to you ?
Well both are good. But klasse brothers cover a wide range of applications compared to black fire. AIO can be used on any surface literally! I if you have enough moolah, and buy both klasse and black fire.

If you are ordering from auto geek, use the discount code AMAZON10 at checkout and get 10 percent discount :-)

Which megs products have you ordered?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 10th September 2012 at 20:39.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 20:52   #6207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravkcec View Post
Whats the best way to clean window glass from the inside. Will a dry microfiber do the job or will it put scratches?
Assuming your glasses do not have any film installed, use Mr. Muscle and a good quality MF towel. MF will never scratch glass or paint, thats why they are used.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 21:09   #6208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC

Assuming your glasses do not have any film installed, use Mr. Muscle and a good quality MF towel. MF will never scratch glass or paint, thats why they are used.
And if there are films installed? I find the biggest problem in rains when the glass just fogs out. No temperature setting of the acc helps cure it
Old 10th September 2012, 21:51   #6209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
And if there are films installed? I find the biggest problem in rains when the glass just fogs out. No temperature setting of the acc helps cure it
Well that's a different problem altogether. In my car, changing the airflow to the windshield and switching on the AC helps. For cars fitted with door visors, rolling the windows down by an inch and half also helps. One of my friend does the second thing in his SX4 and it really works.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 10th September 2012 at 21:52.
Old 10th September 2012, 22:07   #6210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Well both are good. But klasse brothers cover a wide range of applications compared to black fire. AIO can be used on any surface literally! I if you have enough moolah, and buy both klasse and black fire.
Not really, budget is 8k max, my present order is $137 so will buy the Klasse brothers next time I guess.

Quote:
If you are ordering from auto geek, use the discount code AMAZON10 at checkout and get 10 percent discount :-)
I'm not sure if I should avail this or use free local shipping option. Did you pay anything for shipping within US ?

Quote:
Which megs products have you ordered?
Clay bar,UC,Ultimate quik detailer,endurance spray,masking tape combo and ultimate protectant spray. The most expensive items are BF sealant and Cobra guzzler combo, both come to $68 nearly half value of my order! I'm thinking if the cobra guzzlers are worth the cash

Last edited by shashank.nk : 10th September 2012 at 22:08.

Most Viewed