Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2016, 19:00   #9871
BHPian

Re: Jopasu Trim n Tire Dressing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post

On the looks front, I recommend this product. Now some pics, which I think is not doing justice to the actual look, as the car was under shade.

Regards,
KK
What do you think on trying this product on flat black metal bumpers? I am looking for some Dressing to apply on my Thar's bumpers that have lost their black depth.
Old 8th August 2016, 19:29   #9872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
What do you think on trying this product on flat black metal bumpers? I am looking for some Dressing to apply on my Thar's bumpers that have lost their black depth.
I don't think this can be used on metal painted surfaces. This is solvent based and could be abrasive on the paints. If the bumper is metal, you can try any good wax or quick detailer to get a gloss look.
Old 9th August 2016, 16:28   #9873
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I don't know if it has been discussed earlier but still.
I have a problem of water spots on my rear windscreen and the rear chrome strip of my Nanook. Used 3M washing liquid and it does take it off to some extent but they are still visible on a closer look.
Did a search on the net and homed on to the Carpro Water Spot Remover. Has anybody used the Carpro spot remover and how was the result?
Is there any other way of removing these spots? Have already tried Vinegar but not very successful.

Last edited by nkghai : 9th August 2016 at 16:30.
Old 9th August 2016, 18:22   #9874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Has anybody used the Carpro spot remover and how was the result?
A micro review by me from 2014 - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3450269

A review better by magnitudes - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-spotless.html
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 21:45   #9875
Senior - BHPian

Try soaking the spot in vinegar. Cover the glass with tissues that have been wetted with vinegar so that they stick to the glass. Leave for an hour to soak in and keep rewetting with vinegar to keep the tissues wet. Remove and scrub with a vinegar soaked microfiber. You can even use a clean, new and never dropped PINK Scotch Brite scrub+sponge. This is safe for glass and doesnt scratch it. I have used it on the car glass and my aquarium glass with no issues.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 11:44   #9876
BHPian

The clear vinyl window on the back of my THAR has clouded up. The clouding is typical: Only in the area where it is exposed to Sun. The 2 straps that lay on left and right have a clear area beneath it. Seems it is due to sun rays. Will try using a Glass Cleaner. Any suggestion or locally available cleaners to sort this problem?

Another issue is the stock windows are not anti-glare. So at night, it becomes difficult and dangerous on the highways, due to glares coming in from the side windows. You see interior reflection instead of the outside till your vehicle moves out of the glare. Are there any coatings available that can reduce glare?
Old 10th August 2016, 12:08   #9877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Another issue is the stock windows are not anti-glare. So at night, it becomes difficult and dangerous on the highways, due to glares coming in from the side windows. You see interior reflection instead of the outside till your vehicle moves out of the glare. Are there any coatings available that can reduce glare?

You can try Proklear Nano Anti-Glare & Rain Shield Treatment for Windshield on ebay http://www.ebay.in/itm/PROKLEAR-Nano...-/160704690086

I have applied this and I can say it is a very good rain repellent and beads water very well and Anti-glare benefit is average, but it is a good product overall. This video is made by ProKlear.

Regards,
KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 10th August 2016 at 12:09.
Old 12th August 2016, 20:23   #9878
BHPian

I am considering having my 4.5 year old car detailed for the first time and this came to my mind.
This might sound like a noob question so please bear with me.

When we consider getting our cars professionally detailed, is there any limit/guidance on the number of times we can get it done "Safely”?

My understanding is that polishing a car requires scraping off a thin layer of the clear coat. This is what houses the swirl marks and other minor surface deformities and therefore removing a fine top layer gets rid of the surface aberrations.

But the layer is of a finite thickness.
So how many times can we polish it safely without risking completely removing the clear coat?

Moreover how will the following variables affect this “safe” limit?
• Age of the car
• Whether the car panel has been repainted
• Quality of the original paint finish as it can vary with the manufacturer and the segment
Old 12th August 2016, 23:57   #9879
Distinguished - BHPian

It is the over-enthusiasts who are using abrasive polishes on their paintwork every month or even week that should be worrying about running out of paint surface, not those seeking a full detailing every few years.

I would expect professional detailers to be very much aware of what they are doing. I've read, here, about them even using some sort of measurement device to detect the clearcoat thickness.

But I don't think there can be a how-often. It depends what they do. It also depends what is needed and what you want fixed.
Old 13th August 2016, 11:26   #9880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
I am considering having my 4.5 year old car detailed for the first time and this came to my mind.
A professional detailer shall always check the condition of the paint all around with a paint thickness gauge, and proceed accordingly.

There is no set number of 'safe' detailing - it varies depending on multiple factors. But I think yearly once is fine (full correction).

Variables that affect:

age of the car - UV rays has some effect on the clearcoat, and also if you are used to washing your car daily using a handyman, chances are that your paint condition is not so good.

Repaints - repainted panels actually have much thicker coats of paint, so aggressive detailing can safely be attempted .

Quality of paint finish from factory - factory finishes are usually thin, and different oems have different paint hardness levels. pros shall know better.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 18:19   #9881
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Team,

I am looking for Meguiar's ScratchX and SwirlX, but unable to find them in any of the online shops. Can anyone provide me with a link for the same??

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 18:58   #9882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Hello Team,

I am looking for Meguiar's ScratchX and SwirlX, but unable to find them in any of the online shops. Can anyone provide me with a link for the same??

Regards,
Shashi
Hi Shashi,

ScratchX is available with bringingbest website. http://bringingbest.in/index.php?rou...product_id=226

SwirlX even I could not find online.

I would like to state that I do not have any commercial interest in sharing this information.

Regards

Vikas
vikasshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2016, 11:46   #9883
Senior - BHPian

Newbie detailing question here: I understand that after a wash, the next step is to remove embedded contaminants, swirl marks, etc. and the way to do this is a light polishing process. Finally, some wax is applied and provide a layer of protection.

I'm wondering how often the polishing needs to be done? Won't it thin the clearcoat each time? I don't care about short term looks - I can live with swirl marks and the like but I do care about long term paint quality. Any advice on how frequently to polish in this case?
Old 14th August 2016, 12:29   #9884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Newbie detailing question here:
I'm wondering how often the polishing needs to be done? Won't it thin the clearcoat each time? I don't care about short term looks - I can live with swirl marks and the like but I do care about long term paint quality. Any advice on how frequently to polish in this case?
Ideal way is to measure the thickness with a paint thickness gauge taking an average measurement of each panel. 100 microns and above would be a safe level.

If the vehicle is going to be a daily driver, a maximum swirl removal treatment would be overkill. Light polishing can be done once a quarter , wash and wax could be done every month even safely if the owner is particular about maintaining the aesthetics.

Maintaining paint finish swirl free is very difficult in urban Indian conditions.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2016, 14:08   #9885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is the over-enthusiasts who are using abrasive polishes on their paintwork every month or even week that should be worrying about running out of paint surface, not those seeking a full detailing every few years.

I would expect professional detailers to be very much aware of what they are doing. I've read, here, about them even using some sort of measurement device to detect the clearcoat thickness.
The problem, particularly in smaller towns, is that I find it hard to fully trust the competence of the "professionals". Who's to say these guys aren't thinning our clearcoats by excessive amounts in order to get short term good looks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Maintaining paint finish swirl free is very difficult in urban Indian conditions.
Exactly, and correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from aesthetics, is there any reason to fix swirls and light scratches immediately? It's not like they're going to get worse because they were left unattended, no?

Unless my logic here is incorrect and I'd gladly like to hear from detailing gurus on this, I'd rather let all the minor imperfections build up and do a proper detailing job once every two years or so. Sticking to the basic wash and applying a layer of wax seems sufficient, cheaper and actually better for the exteriors over the long run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks