Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2018, 14:42   #10501
BANNED

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I did the coating in November. So as of June, it is eight months of use. It is as good as day one in spite of repeated foam washes, rains and wiping with quick detailer. Since I did it myself, I really didnt factor the cost of items I used out of my collection(IPA, Microfiber cloth, Polish etc). Also, I got to remove the muffler cover this weekend since the part below it was not coated. Here is the difference between the coated and uncoated areas:
Attachment 1780261
Thanks.

Did you use this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Anti...816c2e0e1XNXfY
Old 9th July 2018, 16:48   #10502
BHPian

Quote:
I did the coating in November. So as of June, it is eight months of use.
Which coating did you use? I think I missed the name of the product.
Old 9th July 2018, 21:33   #10503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Which coating did you use? I think I missed the name of the product.
I had intentionally not provided the details, since the seller whom I brought from in Aliexpress was no longer selling the product. However, there are a lot of other similar listings available with various names and packaging. The one I got was named Veteran. I have only tried that and I believe it is more or less the same liquid that comes in different avatars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Similar to this one, but like I explained earlier, the product listing has ended and hence, I was not able to give details of the product. But I guess this one should work too. If it doesnt, then dont throw brickbats at me
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 11:53   #10504
BHPian

Quote:
I had intentionally not provided the details, since the seller whom I brought from in Aliexpress was no longer selling the product. However, there are a lot of other similar listings available with various names and packaging. The one I got was named Veteran. I have only tried that and I believe it is more or less the same liquid that comes in different avatars.

Similar to this one, but like I explained earlier, the product listing has ended and hence, I was not able to give details of the product. But I guess this one should work too. If it doesnt, then dont throw brickbats at me
I was really impressed with your review on the plastic parts and I intend to try it on the plastics. The greying of the external plastics is a eyesore. Did you try it on the dash?
Old 11th July 2018, 08:10   #10505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I was really impressed with your review on the plastic parts and I intend to try it on the plastics. The greying of the external plastics is a eyesore. Did you try it on the dash?

Dash you mean my bike or car? The bike has got it on all plastic parts except the speedo console since I have a screen protector there. Car has not got a touch of this coating since the car needs to be polished first, cleaned and then goes the coating. I have no time for such detailed work at the moment. I am not keen on applying this to the interior bits. They are good to do with a nice coat of dressing once in a while, maybe once in a few months. The exterior is what I really need this since the effect of various plastic dressings hardly last, and this one is almost permanent.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 16:19   #10506
BHPian

Recently purchased Proklear waterless wash concentrate. Planning to use this once every 2-3 days when the car accumulates mild dirt. Of course I would use this after dusting off with Jopasu duster.

However during rainy season, when the car gets too muddy, I wash it off with a bucket of water using microfiber clothes. I'm seeing many mention rinseless wash a lot. When I researched for this online, I see many use this with 2-bucket wash method. Also the procedure to wash varies a lot - some use a mitt to apply the solution and the wipe off with microfiber cloth, others pour this into spray bottle to spray over the surface and wipe off with a towel followed by light buffing.

1) Is it possible to use rinseless wash with just 1 bucket of water if I keep multiple clothes for washing and drying so that I don't re-introduce dirty cloth back to the solution?

2) Should I use the spray bottle to clean, or use a wet cloth dipped in the diluted solution to clean the dirt? If cloth can be used, should this be a microfiber cloth or will any smooth cloth suffice?

3) Which rinseless solution is recommended?

Note: I stay in an apartment and hence can't use a hose connected to tap water for cleaning
Old 13th July 2018, 16:46   #10507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
1) Is it possible to use rinseless wash with just 1 bucket of water if I keep multiple clothes for washing and drying so that I don't re-introduce dirty cloth back to the solution?

2) Should I use the spray bottle to clean, or use a wet cloth dipped in the diluted solution to clean the dirt? If cloth can be used, should this be a microfiber cloth or will any smooth cloth suffice?

3) Which rinseless solution is recommended?
1) Rinseless wash is for cleaning dust not mud. Its possible to clean the entire car with less than 1/3rd bucket of water using rinseless wash 2 bucket method.

2) First wipe your car with the duster. Next wet the car slightly with water. Then dip your wash mitt in the diluted solution and wipe your car, one panel at a time, starting from the roof. Wipe dry the first panel using a good quality MF cloth. Repeat the same for all panels. If the wash mitt has trapped stones / grime etc, wash it thoroughly before proceeding to the next panel.

3) ONR wash & wax I would recommend from personal experience. Proklear is another favourite on the forum.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 08:00   #10508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
3) ONR wash & wax I would recommend from personal experience. Proklear is another favourite on the forum.
ONR wash and wax is a rinseless wash concentrate (needs bucket with water). But Proklear is a waterless wash concentrate (does not need bucket with water). I've not seen any Proklear rinseless wash product. Am I missing something?
Old 16th July 2018, 10:18   #10509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
ONR wash and wax is a rinseless wash concentrate (needs bucket with water). But Proklear is a waterless wash concentrate (does not need bucket with water). I've not seen any Proklear rinseless wash product. Am I missing something?
Oops ! I may be missing something here. I am yet to come across the concept of waterless wash. All the videos I have seen (about 4 years back) does involve the use of water, although the quantity is very minimal.

Maybe someone who has already used Proklear can explain better. One thing I can say is that, if the vehicle is generally clean, you can use diluted (with water) concentrate in a spray bottle to maintain the car. Just spray from the bottle and wipe off using a good quality microfiber cloth.

I can vouch for ONR wash and wax as I have been using this along with Sonax Gloss Shampoo to maintain my car for the past 4 years. ONR is sufficient if there is only dust to be removed. It leaves a waxed look too after use. Sonax is used if there is grit / grime /mud / tar to be removed.

Edit : Sonax requires a lot more water than ONR. Atleast 3x times. This is because it agitates very well and creates a lot of foam thus helping to dislodge stuck grime,oil, muck etc. ONR is better used in dusty environments (no muck to remove).

Last edited by longhorn : 16th July 2018 at 10:24.
Old 19th July 2018, 13:13   #10510
BHPian

Any suggestions on a high quality leather cleaner and a separate conditioner? Amazon mostly seems to have products that don't do either of the job well.

Need a higher quantity as I intend to do both car seats, sofas etc

Also what kind a brush do you use to lift the dirt from leather seats?
Old 19th July 2018, 13:33   #10511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverhick View Post
Any suggestions ?
I have been using Meguiars Gold Class Leather cleaner and conditioner for past few years, have had great results.
Also the leather stays supple.
Old 21st July 2018, 17:24   #10512
Senior - BHPian

Can I use wax on windshield to avoid the streaking sound from wipers? The wipers are relatively new, not even stood one rainy season, but are streaking.
Old 21st July 2018, 19:40   #10513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions on a high quality leather cleaner and a separate conditioner? Also what kind a brush do you use to lift the dirt from leather seats?
I'd recommend Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner too. It's not the best there are far more exotic leather care products but I've had pretty good results with Megs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Can I use wax on windshield to avoid the streaking sound from wipers? The wipers are relatively new, not even stood one rainy season, but are streaking.
Waxes are for paints. A wax can cause wipers to judder. If you need to coat your windshield use Rain-X or similar.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2018, 07:50   #10514
BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions on a high quality leather cleaner and a separate conditioner? Amazon mostly seems to have products that don't do either of the job well.

Need a higher quantity as I intend to do both car seats, sofas etc

Also what kind a brush do you use to lift the dirt from leather seats?
I have been using Lexol Leather cleaner and conditioner since quite sometime and it does a pretty good job. Hope this thread Link helps you.
csr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 13:00   #10515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
I have been using Lexol Leather cleaner and conditioner since quite sometime and it does a pretty good job. Hope this thread Link helps you.
I was eyeing the kit and also considering buying more quantity. However unable to find a solid way to buy from India. Did you find a service that delvers them to India ?

Most Viewed