Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2019, 16:56   #10741
BANNED

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Pavi,Where did you source it from and what was the cost?
Thanks.
I bought it from Greenz care care website. https://www.greenzcarcare.com/products/gyeon-q2-cancoat. Price is ₹4,299.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 14:44   #10742
BHPian

How does one clean the microfiber cloths which have been used for buffing wax and polish and are full of those wax dust and polish remains? I had used a set of new ones this weekend.

Nearly finished with my Meguiars 2.0 wax although the Meguiars ultimate polish is still nearly full as its not required in large amounts when used. If anyone wants to try this polish feel free to message me.

Any suggestion for a replacement to the NXT 2.0 wax i used ? I would prefer something easy to apply for my 4 year old car as i park my car in the dusty open area of Gurgaon and it is cleaned by a cleaner every 2 days so i doubt any product will anyway last long. Something under Rs 3-4k preferably.
Old 28th September 2019, 16:44   #10743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
How does one clean the microfiber cloths which have been used for buffing wax and polish and are full of those wax dust and polish remains? I had used a set of new ones this weekend.
option 1: take a capfull of full strength APC, put it in a bucket with few mugs of water, and put the used microfibers it the bucket. Soak for sometime, maybe overnight. Then take out, rinse and hand wash / machine wash. This is what I do.

option 2: use dedicated pad / MF cleaners such as this.
Old 28th September 2019, 16:51   #10744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any suggestion for a replacement to the NXT 2.0 wax i used ? I would prefer something easy to apply for my 4 year old car as i park my car in the dusty open area of Gurgaon and it is cleaned by a cleaner every 2 days so i doubt any product will anyway last long. Something under Rs 3-4k preferably.
Soak the microfibers in warm water. Not room temp and not too hot. Add dish washing liquid soap like VIM or Pril. Soak for half an hour then either rinse or chuck in the machine for a short cycle without soap.

As an alternative wax try out Collinite 845, it's quite long lasting
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:19   #10745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post

As an alternative wax try out Collinite 845, it's quite long lasting

How much time would 845 last if the car is cleaned everyday from outside?
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:50   #10746
BANNED

Quote:
Any suggestion for a replacement to the NXT 2.0 wax i used ?
Consider Optimum Car Wax too. Easy to apply. Doesn't even require buffing off.
A cheaper option is Proklear - (wont last as long as Optimum). I have used both.
Old 3rd October 2019, 14:46   #10747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
How much time would 845 last if the car is cleaned everyday from outside?
Depends on the cleaning method. If you only use a jopasu duster and a QD spray then it will last for months. Check out the dedicated Collinite thread for more info and feedback
Old 21st October 2019, 18:38   #10748
BHPian

Quote:
For this purpose, I'd suggest you buy a set of 36 or 48 Amazon Basics microfibers. They come at dead cheap prices during these "Great Indian Sales" which are running now. If not during this specific sale, Amazon will have these on deals every other week. I suggested 36 or 48 packs because usually they come at prices as cheap as Rs.14-17 per cloth. Washing the waxes off the microfibers (any brand) is not very effective. Even after washing, we can notice a drastic decrease in their effectiveness. So, with these cheap microfibers, you can use them to buff off the waxes or polishes for 4-5 applications and then change them without hurting the pocket.

Quote:
If you have the energy and patience, you can go for Collinite 476s Doublecoat wax. It comes as a tub of solid wax and needs to be applied in thin layers. They advertise it as "Detergent Proof". With this wax, you have to be careful to not apply thick coats since that can be difficult to remove. I strongly suggest waxing on and buffing off not more than 1 panel at a time. It does last quite well.

If you want something that's easy to apply and buff off, then go for the Collinite 845 Insulator wax. It comes like a paste/liquid based on the temperature. Shake it hard and it'll become a liquid, which is when application becomes a breeze. This wax goes on and off like a dream and gives the car the Wet Look, which lasts anywhere from weeks to months. The first night after application, the surface of the paint will attract dust, but the moment you spray water, you will understand that you have applied something worth your money on your car. Trust me, you can't resist taking a picture of your car after applying this.

Else, if you have a pressure washer you can opt the Gyeon Wet Coat. It is a liquid and you have to spray it on your car (Like how we spray colin to clean windows). This should be sprayed after washing the car, before drying, on the wet paint surface. Then it should be rinsed off with a pressure washer. This pressure will help it spread all over the panel. Then the car should be dried as usual. It also gives a good amount of gloss and lasts for months. The product might seem expensive for the quantity but it takes very little quantity per application. And each application will last you a reasonably long time.

You said "Cleaned by cleaner every 2 days". This "Cleaner" determines how long the coatings will last. If it's a gentle cleaner, they will last for months. If it's a strong cleaner, they might get stripped off in a single wash.

Do not try to apply any of these in direct Sunlight.
saisailendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:40   #10749
Senior - BHPian

Last week, I bought a new VW Vento. I am looking for a low-effort way of maintaining the car. I will be using Jopasu duster and ONR on the car mostly and shampoo wash as needed.

I was thinking if there is any point in getting a thorough detailing done on a new car from a professional shop like 3M or just get it cleaned myself at home and apply a coat of wax/sealant. I am leaning more towards the home solution as I feel there is nothing much to correct on the new car paint which requires professional tools etc.

Also, after applying wax/sealant, what is the recommended way to maintain the shine? I was planning to use OPtimum Spray wax. Has anyone used it?
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:23   #10750
Distinguished - BHPian

If you can afford it, ceramic coating might provide the best in low-effort maintenance. It has its own thread(s)
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:37   #10751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If you can afford it, ceramic coating might provide the best in low-effort maintenance. It has its own thread(s)
No, it is way too costly and not something I want to invest on.
Unless someone is looking for a ceramic coating or something like that, spending a lot of money on detailing a new car does not make sense to me. Just a good wash and then applying a wax/sealant should be enough. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am looking for a good spray wax which is easy to apply. If anyone has used one, please let me know.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 11:41   #10752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Last week, I bought a new VW Vento. I am looking for a low-effort way of maintaining the car. I will be using Jopasu duster and ONR on the car mostly and shampoo wash as needed.
Congratulations Sir, on the purchase of your Vento. May I ask which colour ? I have a year old Carbon Steel Metallic Vento.

Quote:
I was thinking if there is any point in getting a thorough detailing done on a new car from a professional shop like 3M or just get it cleaned myself at home and apply a coat of wax/sealant. I am leaning more towards the home solution as I feel there is nothing much to correct on the new car paint which requires professional tools etc.
While taking delivery of my Vento, I've noticed that certain panels of the brand new cars are covered with a sticker which they remove while preparing the car for delivery and the rest of car is totally covered in dust. I have also noticed a ton of swirl marks on the dusty parts. I think they wash it, buff it with a polish and then deliver the car. On my car, I've noticed that they missed polishing the left C pillar. But that was too small an area for me to visit a professional detailer. If you find something like that, and you're keen on having a car without swirl marks, then it makes sense to go to a detailer. Otherwise, maintain it at home.

Quote:
Also, after applying wax/sealant, what is the recommended way to maintain the shine? I was planning to use OPtimum Spray wax. Has anyone used it?
I wax my dad's car with Collinite 845 which gives it a wet look and slick feel. For daily maintenance, I use CarPro ECH20, diluted 1:20 in distilled water. I spray it on and wipe it off. The residue then dries to a haze, which can be safely buffed off using a soft microfiber. It's a wonderful product. Doesn't negatively effect the wax. Preserves the slick feel.

Quote:
I am looking for a good spray wax which is easy to apply. If anyone has used one, please let me know.
Have a look at Gyeon WetCoat. It's not really a wax, rather a ceramic sealant. It lasted well for me. Makes subsequent washing and drying very easy.
saisailendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 14:22   #10753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
Congratulations Sir, on the purchase of your Vento. May I ask which colour ? I have a year old Carbon Steel Metallic Vento.

While taking delivery of my Vento, I've noticed that certain panels of the brand new cars are covered with a sticker which they remove while preparing the car for delivery and the rest of car is totally covered in dust. I have also noticed a ton of swirl marks on the dusty parts. I think they wash it, buff it with a polish and then deliver the car. On my car, I've noticed that they missed polishing the left C pillar. But that was too small an area for me to visit a professional detailer. If you find something like that, and you're keen on having a car without swirl marks, then it makes sense to go to a detailer. Otherwise, maintain it at home.
I got the toffee brown color.
I have not noticed any swirl marks but I will observe more closely in the weekend. Assuming there are no swirl marks, I will probably go ahead with wax/sealant application at home. I have used Colinite 845 earlier. It is an excellent durable wax but requires lot of effort to apply/buff. Is there any other wax/sealant which can be applied with greater use which provides good durability? I have not heard for the Gyeon wetcoat, but will have a look. How easy it is to apply?

I went ahead and ordered Proklear Raw CX from Amazon. It is cheap and got good reviews. Also, I kind of wanted to try some desi product, as I feel the likes of ONR and Ultima are very highly priced in India. Also, ordered Meguiars Ultimate quik spray wax for regular maintenance. If anyone has experience on these products, please do share.

PS - I am looking to buy a couple of good quality spray bottles with measuring indicators/marks. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th October 2019 at 01:35. Reason: trimming quoted post
Old 24th October 2019, 16:33   #10754
BHPian

Quote:
I have used Colinite 845 earlier. It is an excellent durable wax but requires lot of effort to apply/buff.
May I know your application method of Collinite 845 ? It's one of the easiest to apply and buff off.

Quote:
I have not heard for the Gyeon wetcoat, but will have a look. How easy it is to apply?
It's a spray on - rinse off sealant. Wash your car normally as you would do. Once you've rinsed off all the dirt, shampoo water off the surface of the car, you have to spray the Sealant on the wet car. Then immediately use a strong jet of water and rinse the sealant off. You don't have to touch or buff the sealant. You can immediately notice water beading and gliding off the surface. Then you can dry the car normally. A pressure washer works best. But I read that water from a normal pipe also works, just try to make the jet powerful by pinching the pipe end (like watering plants that are far away). You also don't have to spray the sealant all over the surface. Spray on higher parts of the vehicle and as you rinse it off, it'll also cover the lower parts. For example, if you spray on the upper half of the door and rinse it off, it'll also coat the lower half. There are plenty of videos on YouTube regarding the same.

This will last couple of weeks to months. Gyeon claims it'll last 12 shampoo washes or 12 weeks, as far as I remember. For me, I applied this 1½ month ago and it's still holding up strong.

Quote:
PS - I am looking to buy a couple of good quality spray bottles with measuring indicators/marks. Any suggestions?
I'm using 500 ml spray bottles by CarPro. They costed me ₹280 each. Found them on www.autozeel.com. The bottles are good. Spray heads are adjustable and definitely feel high quality. I like the quality of mist that it creates. But they don't have measuring indicators or markers. You can have a look.
saisailendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 23:15   #10755
Senior - BHPian

^^
Thanks. For Colinite 845, I used foam pads for application, left it for a couple of hours and then buffed off. I found it tedious process.

As I said, my current plan to get the car properly washed and apply a proper sealant/wax applied and use the Meguiars Spray wax for maintenance (once a month or so, depending on how long it lasts). Can someone suggest a durable wax/sealant which will be easy to apply and relatively economical (or available in small bottles)? I don't plan to use it often as I will be using the Spray wax for maintenance. So, it will be more like once in 6 months or so. Just so that everyone is aware, my car is a toffee brown VW Vento and it is just 1 week old.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks