Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2020, 10:44   #10966
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post

I would like to add a waxing component to my cleaning schedule, again, something in the spirit of keeping it simple and practical. Would a spray wax qualify for this method ? Which one I can buy to use after ONR wash ? and what should be the frequency of using it ?
If you want to stick with the brand, you can proceed with Optimum spray wax which will give you really good result.
It is little on the expensive side, and I'm not sure of it's availibility.

There are other good brands out there like Turtle wax, Meguiars etc who makes similar products and are really good too.

There is Turtle wax wet wax, which can even save you some time (The car surface doesn't have to be dry for application) and give yu equally good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Meguairs Metal Polish; This gives me brilliant results every-time. Needed a new tube, so any place I can get the original? It's out of stock mostly
Results with Sonax chrome and Aluminium paste

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_4136.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hey guys, Turtle Wax on Amazon has the usual Ice Seal and Shine but it also has something called the Ice spray detailer.

Could you tell me what the difference is?

Also Megiuars Hot Rims is out of stock on Amazon, is Turtle wheel and tyre cleaner as good?
Ice seal and shine is a polymer based sealant which is equivalent to a Carnuba wax based sealant. Mostly used after a wash, it protects the paint and gives you the shine.
While the Ice seal and shine is a waterless wash liquid which can be used to maintain the car in between washes. (At a show, car meet etc)

I'm currently experimenting with Sonax extreme wheel cleaner and it does the job well, no complaints.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20200731_125551464_ios.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20200731_125650482_ios.jpg
johannskaria is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 17:32   #10967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post

If you want to stick with the brand, you can proceed with Optimum spray wax which will give you really good result.
It is little on the expensive side, and I'm not sure of it's availibility.
Yeah, Optimum wax is the most expensive of all the others in the category. Amazon suggested Sonax High Speed Wax. After reading few reviews, it seemed like a good option. Have ordered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

3. Once in 6 months of whenever the paint starts feel rough, use a cream polish / cleaner wax.
Just to reconfirm and sorry if it is repetitive,
My car is just 2 months old and usage is also on the lower side due to current situation. The car is always parked in the apartment basement parking. Paint surface looks clean, atleast visually, without much blemishes. The only adversities the car may be exposed could be while it was dumped in the dealer stockyard before delivery and also the cleaning done by car washing guy for around a month.

Since this is the first time the car is getting a sealant and waxing, is it necessary to use cleaner wax first to ensure the surface is 'technically' clean? or ONR Wash and Shine is good enough before applying spray wax?
Old 7th August 2020, 18:43   #10968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only adversities the car may be exposed could be while it was dumped in the dealer stockyard before delivery and also the cleaning done by car washing guy for around a month.

Since this is the first time the car is getting a sealant and waxing, is it necessary to use cleaner wax first to ensure the surface is 'technically' clean? or ONR Wash and Shine is good enough before applying spray wax?
The car washing guy would have left his share of water spots and what not, so a cleaner wax is recommended - just to give ONR a good starting point from next time.
Old 7th August 2020, 20:26   #10969
Senior - BHPian

Amazon Q&A of Turtlewax Ice seal and shine talks about a new version. Does anyone have any information about this?A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-screen-shot-20200807-8.24.44-pm.png
Old 7th August 2020, 22:44   #10970
BHPian

The 2020 version has few improvements like UV inhibitors and slickness etc.

Better buy the new version

There is a video from "Pan the Organizer" with the Turtle wax guys where they discussed in detail the improved formula
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 18:47   #10971
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I got the below 2 items,
Meguiar's G19216 Ultimate Polish (473 ml)
Meguiar's G17516 Ultimate Quik Wax (450 ml)

I will applying first Polish and than Wax.
After how much time should i apply wax. should i wait for 10-15 minutes and then apply wax, Any suggestions please.

Thanks,
Old 8th August 2020, 21:22   #10972
BHPian

What's a good product/way to easily dislodge the layers of dust that gets permanently fixed on black bumper parts, grill etc. Scrubbing manually with detergents is quite hard in those angles and crevices.
Old 8th August 2020, 21:38   #10973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
What's a good product/way to easily dislodge the layers of dust that gets permanently fixed on black bumper parts, grill etc. Scrubbing manually with detergents is quite hard in those angles and crevices.
I guess you are referring to the Whitish residue which gets accumulated over time.

It could be hard water spots or dirt and grime.

Anyways the process is the same for all

1. Thoroughly spray the bumper and cladding with a Degreaser.
2. Use a toothbrush to agitate the surface to dislodge the grime and deposits.
3. Wash with car shampoo.
4. Dry the surface using a towel and leave the surface for a few minutes.
5. Spray a plastic/vinyl dressing like Carpro PERL or similar on the plastic to cover every inch of it. Make sure not to overspray.
6. Spread it evenly using a Foam or microfiber pad.
7. Remove the excess product using a towel.
8. In case its hard water spotting then you have to use something like Carpro Eraser or a similar product to get rid of those spots instead of degreaser.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 22:09   #10974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
I guess you are referring to the Whitish residue which gets accumulated over time.

Is Proklear apc and degreser strong enough for cleaning 5 years of dirt and grime? I had ordered turtlewax trim restorer to use post cleaning. Any other better sub 500 rs product?
Old 8th August 2020, 22:15   #10975
BHPian

Any APC should suffice with the correct dilution ratio if required.

They are harsh chemicals meant for the same purpose.

Trim Restorer will definitely bring back the shine on your ride.

Good Luck
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 07:39   #10976
BHPian

Quote:
3. Once in 6 months of whenever the paint starts feel rough, use a cream polish / cleaner wax.
Quote:
My car is just 2 months old and usage is also on the lower side due to current situation. The car is always parked in the apartment basement parking. Paint surface looks clean, atleast visually, without much blemishes. The only adversities the car may be exposed could be while it was dumped in the dealer stockyard before delivery and also the cleaning done by car washing guy for around a month.
Quote:
The car washing guy would have left his share of water spots and what not, so a cleaner wax is recommended - just to give ONR a good starting point from next time.
Hey mankuthimma,

Even though the paint surface visually looks clean 99% of the times it contains contaminants. You can personally check that by wearing the rubber gloves and running your hand over the paint surface slowly.you'll feel the defects and contaminents more prominently and can make an informed decision about your next step.

Scenario 1 :- Washing guy does a good job takes care of the nooks and crannies while washing and wiping your car clean.
You can proceed with ONR to maintain your vehicle.
Once in an year (Depending on how your usage progresses), you can clay the vehicle to remove on-surface contaminants and make the paint feel smooth again.

Scenario 2 :- Washing guy doesn't do a good job and gives less attention to the nooks and crannies while washing and wiping your car clean.

In this case , say every month just take care of the nooks and crannies every month or alternate month with a good APC like the sonax multistar and a soft brush (can be a toothbrush too - when i don't have access to a professional brush I prefer Patanjali ) to take care of those areas where water gets accumulated like the inside part of the badges, grill, water drainage paths of the hood and the boot etc.

Again Once in an year(Depending on how your usage progresses), you can clay the vehicle to remove on-surface contaminants and make the paint feel smooth again.

The above exercise will keep your car looking fresh and clean.

Usually the water spots and hard water marks are caused when minerals present in the water are left back on the paint surface when the water/moisture content gets evaporated by the sun.
But in your case, since you park the car in the basement the chances of that happening are much lesser. and the above steps will help you keeping it fresh.

Would suggest you to keep away from daily washing guys to keep your precious vehicle looking fresh, unless they are really careful and use two/three microfibers per car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Amazon Q&A of Turtlewax Ice seal and shine talks about a new version. Does anyone have any information about this?
Turtle wax V2 range has refreshed ICE range of products and the newly introduced HYBRID range of products.
Hybrid Ceramic spray coating is the V2 version of Ice seal and shine, but more closer to a professional-grade product. Hence more durability and can be used on most of the surfaces.

So even if you're confused about the listing of the ICE product listing (maybe an old stock sold through), you can go for the HYBRID range and get the V2 formula straight away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
I will applying first Polish and than Wax.
After how much time should i apply wax. should i wait for 10-15 minutes and then apply wax, Any suggestions please.
Please read the instructions on the bottles carefully that will guide you perfectly.
Also be aware of the environment you are doing the application of the above products in. Too much sun/heat or rains will give you varying results.

I'm assuming you're asking "when you should apply wax after polishing?"
You can apply it as soon as you use and remove the Meguiars polish from the painted surface.
It is recommended to give an alcohol based detailing panel wipe to the surface (Please don't use a sanatiser for this purpose. ). This step will ensure that the wax will bond and stay on longer to the surface to give that gloss you've worked for.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post

1. Thoroughly spray the bumper and cladding with a Degreaser.
Quote:
Is Proklear apc and degreser strong enough for cleaning 5 years of dirt and grime? I had ordered turtlewax trim restorer to use post cleaning.
Hey Mr Nobody,

Usually what looks like dust layer/layers settled over years, are mostly Hard water marks.

The process is not the same for all surfaces.
A degreaser is not the product used to remove the hard water marks, especially on a matte black bumpers or cladding.
the degreaser will add to the fading effect on these materials.

There are mineral deposit removers/hard water marks removers which will aid you in the process. A good product is Optimum MDR which is safe to use on most of the surfaces unlike a degreaser.

A good APC which can be diluted depending on the surfaces will be good starting point for the above if no access to MDR.

A sonax plastic protectant will help you bing back the finish on those black plastic parts once you've done the job.

Last edited by johannskaria : 9th August 2020 at 07:41.
johannskaria is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 08:57   #10977
BHPian

Quote:
The process is not the same for all surfaces.
A degreaser is not the product used to remove the hard water marks, especially on a matte black bumpers or cladding.
the degreaser will add to the fading effect on these materials.
I beg to differ on that.

The remote possibility of bumpers fading due to use of degreaser is if its used undiluted and that too frequently.

Use of degreaser followed by Mineral deposit remover will ensure that surface is clean before any dressing/protectant can be applied.

Both products can be used together where they play their individul role.

I made a typo error by writing"instead of degreaser" when it should have been "after thoroughly cleaning with degreaser" in point No.8

Last edited by Artyom : 9th August 2020 at 09:08.
Old 9th August 2020, 19:18   #10978
BHPian

Quote:
You can apply it as soon as you use and remove the Meguiars polish from the painted surface.
It is recommended to give an alcohol based detailing panel wipe to the surface (Please don't use a sanatiser for this purpose. ). This step will ensure that the wax will bond and stay on longer to the surface to give that gloss you've worked for.
Thanks for reply.
Any product you recommend for alcohol based detailing panel wipe.

Thanks,
Old 9th August 2020, 19:44   #10979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Thanks for reply.
Any product you recommend for alcohol based detailing panel wipe.

Thanks,
You can use IPA solution diluted or undiluted which is generally available at chemist shops.

However there are dedicated products for that as well like Gyeon Q2m Prep and similar offerings from other brands.

Both will accomplish the same task.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 22:23   #10980
BHPian

My car had not moved in the last 3 weeks. I checked it out today and the backseat is full of mold, and I can see few spot developing on front passenger seat. Luckily the drivers seat is spotless and clean. Is there a way to turn it around? Any car spa you guys would suggest in Bengaluru? Or a doorstep car cleaning service? These are standard Maruti fabric seats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks