Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2021, 07:52   #11146
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I tried your method last night and this afternoon when I checked I could see streaks on the windshield and hood. In the dark it looked like it worked. Don't know why its not working for me.
Please try using a softspun or sobby microfiber cloth, I used to have some terrible ones earlier. Ideally it should wipe clean off with minimal streaks during the initial cleaning itself.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 16:43   #11147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Please try using a softspun or sobby microfiber cloth, I used to have some terrible ones earlier. Ideally it should wipe clean off with minimal streaks during the initial cleaning itself.
Yes in fact I used the cloths that came with PK for the washing part and softspun for the buffing both times.
Old 2nd February 2021, 17:20   #11148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Yes in fact I used the cloths that came with PK for the washing part and softspun for the buffing both times.
The ones that come with the kit are good in my memory, long time. Are you talking about streaks from the first cleaning step or any water spots? The streaks that happen during cleaning stage goes away with when you buff it off later. The water spots if they are there earlier wont go and will need polishing.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 21:40   #11149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The ones that come with the kit are good in my memory, long time. Are you talking about streaks from the first cleaning step or any water spots? The streaks that happen during cleaning stage goes away with when you buff it off later. The water spots if they are there earlier wont go and will need polishing.
Yes, from the first cleaning step. I will try and take some pics.
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:23   #11150
BHPian

Apart from the wash and vacuum at the time of scheduled service, I do the washing, waxing and vacuuming of my car. Of late I have observed tar spots near the front door and wheel arch sides. It is not getting removed by car shampoo and I was thinking maybe claying might help. So my question is this, for claying we need to apply something for lubrication, what is recommended?

I have put off the waxing till I clear the tar spots otherwise I don't think the waxing is going to be effective. The spots are minute and cannot be seen at first glance but it feels rough when you run your hand over the surface.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:34   #11151
BHPian

Was just browsing and saw this new 2021 product by Meguiars. Seems like a nice option to sit between Normal wax/Sealent and a proper ceramic coating. Lets see when it arrives here in India.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-screenshot_2.png
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:58   #11152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACNWYTE View Post
Apart from the wash and vacuum at the time of scheduled service, I do the washing, waxing and vacuuming of my car. Of late I have observed tar spots near the front door and wheel arch sides...
You can use a tar remover like Wurth Tar remover. Or the simplest and easiest approach that I follow is to spray some diesel on to an old banyan or a microfiber cloth and gently wipe the tar spots off. Will be removed in an instant. Diesel is safe on clear coat if allowed to stay for not more than 10 minutes. Wash off the area with shampoo and apply wax (Diesel will remove any wax layer). Tar removers have mostly deodorized kerosene as the prime ingredient.

Claying on minor tar spots is not needed. It might introduce new swirl marks which has to be polished and buffed off again.
If you want to clay, you can use any no-rinse wash solutions like proklear or use a slightly diluted car shampoo.
jothishX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 19:10   #11153
BHPian

I am planning to apply Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine - Improved Formula as I would be parking my car under sun for a week and don't want any fading on the paint. Is there any issues using this sealent on the top of my car's Cquartz coating that was done 6.5 years ago ? Also, I am not sure how much of that Cquartz coating has been degraded over the years although it was under covered parking most of the time.

Last edited by carenthusiast : 7th February 2021 at 19:14.
Old 7th February 2021, 19:35   #11154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthusiast View Post
I am planning to apply Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine - Improved Formula as I would be parking my car under sun for a week and don't want any fading on the paint. Is there any issues using this sealent on the top of my car's Cquartz coating that was done 6.5 years ago ? Also, I am not sure how much of that Cquartz coating has been degraded over the years although it was under covered parking most of the time.
You can determine how the Cquartz is holding up based on the water behaviour. If water is beading and dripping off the surface quickly, the coatings is holding up good. If the water is sticking to the surface and not dripping off easily, it means the coating is non-existent. More than sun exposure, it's the number of physical washes and time, that determines the age of coating.

And coming to application of turtle wax, you can apply it irrespective of the condition of your previous ceramic coat. There shouldn't be an issue.
saisailendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 12:22   #11155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
You can determine how the Cquartz is holding up based on the water behaviour. If water is beading and dripping off the surface quickly, the coatings is holding up good. If the water is sticking to the surface and not dripping off easily, it means the coating is non-existent. More than sun exposure, it's the number of physical washes and time, that determines the age of coating.

And coming to application of turtle wax, you can apply it irrespective of the condition of your previous ceramic coat. There shouldn't be an issue.
Thank you, I can see some amount of water beading on the sides of the car, which means some of the coating is still intact.

Since I am new into detailing, I would really appreciate some expert advice to decide on the paint sealant(or wax) based on the below details. Also, please feel free to make corrections and update them .

Details:
Car Color: Silver
Detailing Conditions: Under shade. Very Hot and Humid. Avg 33 degree C
Age of Car: 6.5 years old
Previous Coatings: CQuartz base from Ultimate Detailers done 6.5 years back
Washing Frequency: Weekly once
Additional Data: Will occasionally keep the car parked outside under the sun.

Aim: Keep the car's paint protected from UV and maintain the shine in between the washes without hurting the remainder of the CQuartz coating.

Shortlisted detailing equipments:

1) Jopasu Car Duster for occational dusting
2) Sonax Car Wash Shampoo Green Lemon
3) 3M Microfiber Cloth for Car for cleaning, drying and detailing
4) MEGUIAR'S Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner 3-in-1 for leatherette protection
5) SOFTSPUN Microfiber Reusable Round Applicator Pads for Point 4
6) Turtle Wax T-96R Quick & Easy Inside & Out Protectant for dashboard, plastics and tyres.
7) MEGUIAR'S W0004 4" Foam Applicator Pads for paint application
8) Kimberly Clark Nitrile Gloves
9) ONESANITIZE N99 FFP3 Solid & Fluid Resistance Face Mask with Adjustable Head Strap
10) 3M 1621 Polycarbonate Safety Goggles

Questions:

1) Should I be looking at abrasive free liquid wax or sealants like TW SnS ? Please suggest !

2) Regarding safety, will N99 FPPP3 masks be enough to keep me protected from sealant sprays that contain harmful chemicals like TW SnS ?
carenthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 12:54   #11156
BHPian

Hey guys, I am new to idea of paint detailing. I have a scratches ont he bumper and rear quater panels. I was looking into using rubbing compound for removing the minor scratches and the waxing/polishing the area.
Any suggestion as to which rubbing compound should i buy?
hows the waxpol rubbing compound(red)?
Old 9th February 2021, 15:46   #11157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Shooter View Post
Hey guys, I am new to idea of paint detailing. I have a scratches ont he bumper and rear quater panels. I was looking into using rubbing compound for removing the minor scratches and the waxing/polishing the area.
Any suggestion as to which rubbing compound should i buy?
hows the waxpol rubbing compound(red)?
Can you share some pics of the scratches in question?
Many times they are not scratches and just bruises which can be removed using rubbing alcohol.
To answer your question depending upon how deep the scratch is the compound should be used.
Every compound has a degree of abrasiveness which in turn determines how deep it can go and remove the scratch.
Based upon the pictures forum members can suggest you the right compound.
Old 10th February 2021, 21:01   #11158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
For the door panels and all, an interior cleaner will suffice. For tough stains, I suggest you get a generic APC from a good brand and keep it handy in the diluted form so that you can clean the tough stains as and when you spot it.
What is a good APC. I see meguiars being suggested a lot, but I don't find that in stock in Amazon or Flipkart. What else is a good APC?
Old 10th February 2021, 21:50   #11159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasri View Post
What is a good APC. I see meguiars being suggested a lot, but I don't find that in stock in Amazon or Flipkart. What else is a good APC?
You can go for any decent brand for that matter. I have had a good experience with Auto Finesse APC which I bought from Detailedclean.in .
Proklear has one in case you want to try.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 22:16   #11160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
You can go for any decent brand for that matter. I have had a good experience with Auto Finesse APC which I bought from Detailedclean.in .
Proklear has one in case you want to try.
Thanks. May I know what's the name of Proklear one? Does it feature in Amazon?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks