Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2021, 09:25   #11221
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

Product review: Turtle Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray

Yesterday, I drove in the some light rain and realised I didn't need the wipers most of the time. It was due to the water beading on the glasses, due to that coat of ceramic spray.

Water beading and the windshield visibility after it was parked in light rain for 20 mins
Thank you for the useful post. Can we also use regular wax on windshield also?

-----

Question to experts:

I detail my vehicle by hand and it is quite painful. I am planning to buy a cordless drill like below for detailing. Are the pads compatible with the Bosch cordless drill?

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07WSXDBWJ/...EZEI09BI&psc=1
Name:  Bosch.PNG
Views: 1288
Size:  267.9 KB

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07LGQKF61/...EZEI09BI&psc=1
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-pads.png

Any drawbacks or can I use this ? Please help.
Old 30th April 2021, 09:56   #11222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I haven't tried it as none of the waxes mentioned glass as an area of application. However your post made me curious.

I checked my wax bottles. While the 3M liquid wax specifies it is ideal for painted surfaces, the Turtle Hard shell wax is flexible for application on variety of surfaces.

A quick google gave me lot of videos and links which suggest waxing glasses and windshields are a good practice.

https://www.thedrive.com/cleaning-de...ur-car-windows

The final result in the above video is similar to what I experienced with the Turtle Ceramic Spray.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 10:24   #11223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
T
Question to experts:

I detail my vehicle by hand and it is quite painful. I am planning to buy a cordless drill like below for detailing. Are the pads compatible with the Bosch cordless drill?
Using 12v cordless drill to correct the paint surface is not a good idea because
1. Each charge of the battery will last max 15 mins of continuous use
2. It is difficult to control the movement of the drill across the surface. Puts a lot of pressure on the wrists.
3. Difficult to apply downward pressure on the surface.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 10:37   #11224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Using 12v cordless drill to correct the paint surface is not a good idea because
1. Each charge of the battery will last max 15 mins of continuous use
2. It is difficult to control the movement of the drill across the surface. Puts a lot of pressure on the wrists.
3. Difficult to apply downward pressure on the surface.
Thank you Sagar for pitching in. Please suggest if there is any long lasting cordless drill from a reputed brand. My car parking does not have an electricity outlet.

With respect to my previous post, I hope the pad and device are compatible.

I will use it once in 4 - 5 months. I don't want a specialized device that cost quite a lot.

EDIT: How about this ?

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-bandd.png

https://www.amazon.in/Stanley-Black-.../dp/B005NNF0YU

Last edited by amvj : 30th April 2021 at 10:55.
Old 30th April 2021, 11:01   #11225
BHPian

Quote:
Are the pads compatible with the Bosch cordless drill?
Any drawbacks or can I use this ? Please help.
Regular wax is Ok on windshields, but will get removed gradually on using the blades.

I've the same pads and used with a iBell cordless drill. It is compatible with all drills afaik. But these pads can be used for spot correction or polish a small area like a bike only. Both the orange pads are of the same roughness and not that great quality. I use it with Meg's Polish/Compound to remove water spots or visible swirls, scratches. It is a pain to use on the complete car. Also you have to be careful to not polish too much and turn the surface hot with a drill as it is higher rpm than a typical polisher.
jothishX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 12:26   #11226
BHPian

Quote:
Can we also use regular wax on windshield also?

-----

Question to experts:

Have tried both the approaches with negative results.

Waxing on windshield is fine for light drizzle. But as soon as you turn on the wipers, it will streak and cause so much glare from incoming lights that your visibility will be reduced to zero. The effect is more pronounced on highway drives.

These drills have a much higher rpm and lower size compared to regular polishers, hence it is extremely difficult to control the movement on surfaces. Plus half the Wax gets sprayed around due to high rpm and excessive heat generation, resulting in marring of the painted surface.
If you can control the rpm and movement, then there might be a case for using these. Even then, I doubt if those foam pads are of decent quality to take on these rpms
anantpoddar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 15:02   #11227
BHPian

Suggesstions please
I don't have a DA polisher so the only way I can do polishing is by hand.
The Vehicle was ceramic coated 2 years back and has been maintained to the best of my ability
But again swirls are inevitable and the vehicle has swirls(Not too many but yes the ones which you can get with regular washing and maintenance).
The paint overall looks pretty good and no fading or other major issues.(White Color vehicle)
Which product/polish should I use to achieve this (Remove Swirl marks on the paint on a regular basis like maybe once a year) and then apply some coating..
Now I understand that polishing by hand is not going to remove all the swirls which is Ok with me.
Even if I can remove 80% of the swirls/marks I will be a happy man.
Kindly suggest a product for my requirement. Thanks in advance
Old 30th April 2021, 15:17   #11228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: How about this ?
I understand that one can do a lot of damage by using an ordinary rotary device for polishing. Honestly, I would not dare to risk touching my car with a pad attached to an electric drill. I'd say, just don't!

If you want to save the labour by going mechanical, please save/invest in a proper orbital machine.

This story about my car and an actual real professional... The car was at my trusted local garage for denting and painting one door. The job was nearly finished. The garage owner distracted the guy with the polishing machine, and the edge of the disc bit into the paint work. Back to square one: repaint.

I've never machine-polished a car, but I've done jewellery polishing. Probably far fiercer machinery than should ever go near a car! One thing I know: I did it 30 years ago and can't now... because it takes practised skill, without which one is danger to self and the item being polished. Maybe it is a bit extreme to compare a buffing wheel at 2000rpm to what we do to our cars, but same principles apply. Especially with an electric drill.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 15:42   #11229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Suggesstions please
I don't have a DA polisher so the only way I can do polishing is by hand.
The Vehicle was ceramic coated 2 years back and has been maintained to the best of my ability
But again swirls are inevitable and the vehicle has swirls(Not too many but yes the ones which you can get with regular washing and maintenance).
The paint overall looks pretty good and no fading or other major issues.(White Color vehicle)
Which product/polish should I use to achieve this (Remove Swirl marks on the paint on a regular basis like maybe once a year) and then apply some coating..
Now I understand that polishing by hand is not going to remove all the swirls which is Ok with me.
If you have decent DIY skills, a steady hand, and an adjustable speed drill you can get rid of a lot of the swirls. My Tjet was ceramic coated about 2 years ago and had the same issues as yours so what I did was this

1. Washed and clayed the car to remove any surface contaminants.

2. Using a very fine grain 3M marine polishing compound, I very lightly buffed the car, one section at a time.

3. Cleaned off the residue with a microfiber cloth.

That's all that was required to bring back the shine and remove a lot of the swirls.

I was so happy with the result I went and clayed and buffed out my old Swift and Gypsy.
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 16:07   #11230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is referred to locally as a rub & polish is what you need, costs anything between 3-5K INR. This comes bundled with washing, vacuuming etc The moment they start talking about Ceramic - you tell them to stop and ask them to just apply a wax and leave it at that.

Buying the right tools to do this at home is very expensive, labor intensive and very noisy affair.

Alternative, buy a final finish or cream polish , a big applicator pad for hand polishing and you should be done in a few hours at home if the paint is well kept and already washed.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 16:14   #11231
BHPian

Quote:
Suggesstions please
I would suggest Meguiar's Ultimate Compound/Polish combo for removing light swirls. It is easy on the hand and would remove most of the washing swirls. After that use a paint sealant like TurtleWax Ice Seal n Shine. Or use carpro reload if you want top quality stuff on top of your ceramic coat
jothishX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 16:53   #11232
BHPian

Any other products apart from Megs Uc and Up.
Can the AIO polishes achieve the same results?
Any suggestion which one to buy.
Old 30th April 2021, 18:58   #11233
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Sagar for pitching in. Please suggest if there is any long lasting cordless drill from a reputed brand. My car parking does not have an electricity outlet.
As some members have rightly suggested, please do not invest in these mechanical devices, without the proper know how of using it.

What is the goal you are trying to achieve?
If the goal is regular maintenance of your vehicle, I would much rather recommend products that make it much easier to use by hand. They are much safer to apply and generally are more flexible for conditions where they be can be used in(Under sun shine, shade etc).

Mechanical Polishers are more of once in a while paint correction things. I don't think their regular use is recommended as these polishers make the paint surface warm when used which makes the paint surface soft for correction purposes. Might not the best thing for regular polish work.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 06:28   #11234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post

2. Using a very fine grain 3M marine polishing compound, I very lightly buffed the car, one section at a time.
What was the name of the product? I can't seem to find it online. Any alternative product you are aware of?
Old 1st May 2021, 08:13   #11235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jothishX View Post
Regular wax is Ok on windshields, but will get removed gradually on using the blades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
Have tried both the approaches with negative results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I understand that one can do a lot of damage by using an ordinary rotary device for polishing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
As some members have rightly suggested, please do not invest in these mechanical devices, without the proper know how of using it.
Thank you all for your valuable inputs. My intention was to apply polish, wax etc on the car. Looks like it is a bad idea to use drill machine. I will do the manual way for now.
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks