Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2022, 19:59   #11431
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I got an etios recently and I've been working on getting it cleaned up myself. After two sessions of claying the surface feels smooth ish but the roof has a lot of damage from bird droppings which aren't going away even with a lot of cost. What's the recommended way to remove them? A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20220313wa0017.jpg
Old 13th March 2022, 21:27   #11432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I got an etios recently and I've been working on getting it cleaned up myself. After two sessions of claying the surface feels smooth ish but the roof has a lot of damage from bird droppings which aren't going away even with a lot of cost. What's the recommended way to remove them? Attachment 2284439
Start off with a light cut compound, failing which use a heavy cut (like Menzerna 400), if that still doesn’t get rid of it then take it to a detailer and have them wetsand the area with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper.

You can do this yourself but you need to know what you’re doing and must have a polishing machine and a heavy cut compound and a finishing polish (like Menzerna 3000) to finish down properly post sanding.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 21:03   #11433
Senior - BHPian

The car in question is just one month old, is there too much orange peel effect or Red color looks like this only?

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20220403_205848.jpg
Old 4th April 2022, 02:16   #11434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
The car in question is just one month old, is there too much orange peel effect or Red color looks like this only?
Mentioning the age of the car makes me wonder if this is something that developed, rather than being there from new?

Orange peel is a painting fault. The fix is to sand that layer and put another one. I'd be surprised to see it on new from-the-factory paint.
Old 4th April 2022, 05:31   #11435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Mentioning the age of the car makes me wonder if this is something that developed, rather than being there from new?

Orange peel is a painting fault. The fix is to sand that layer and put another one. I'd be surprised to see it on new from-the-factory paint.
I've noticed orange peel on new cars some brands more than others. It is a flaw in painting and yes removal is very controversial. Because it entails so much top coat removal.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 15:32   #11436
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I've noticed orange peel on new cars some brands more than others....
Goodness. That really should not get past QC, but hey, it is a very imperfect world

I have seen it on an on-the-street paint job done by a neighbour in London long ago. He knew what he was doing and put a lot of work into preparation, but, due to some wind or dust or something, the final coat failed. He did it again. Unfortunately for him, there was no covered facility available to him.

Sad to know that such things are allowed out of the factory here.
Old 4th April 2022, 17:59   #11437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
That adapter is fine but this MTM Hydro PF22.2 is 10k INR on Amazon. I am looking for something below 2k INR. Its just brass and plastic right.
Check this one out. Seems to fit your purpose and budget. They have tried to imitate the MJCC one which retails almost at 5K INR.

JPT Pro Foam Cannon - Amazon
Old 4th April 2022, 19:03   #11438
BHPian

Quote:

Orange peel effect is quite common in all new cars [including few luxury cars]. You need to worry if you find it excessive at certain patch only. Else I would suggest live with it. Over time as you get the car polished for taking care of finer scratches etc orange peel effect will come down.

If you are really bothered by it - get it polished - it might reduce the effect a little but you'll be sacrificing the thickness of clearcoat.
somspaple is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 19:06   #11439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Orange peel effect is quite common in all new cars [including few luxury cars]. You need to worry if you find it excessive at certain patch only. Else I would suggest live with it. Over time as you get the car polished for taking care of finer scratches etc orange peel effect will come down.
Thank you, I thought my car had major paint defect in all panels.

I also got ceramic coating done recently and thought they would polish it before that but they said that they don't do any rubbing / polishing treatment on new cars as they don't want to get rid of clearcoat, it all makes sense now, thanks again.
Old 5th April 2022, 13:56   #11440
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, I thought my car had major paint defect in all panels.

I also got ceramic coating done recently and thought they would polish it before that but they said that they don't do any rubbing / polishing treatment on new cars as they don't want to get rid of clearcoat, it all makes sense now, thanks again.
All mass produced factory paint jobs will have orange peel. Some are much worse than others, in particular stay away from Tata, Mahindra, Hyundai and Jeep (specially Compass) if you’re concerned about excessive orange peel as cars from these mfg’s have the worst peel/distortion.

To reduce orange peel significantly one needs to wetsand with 1200-1500 grit and up to level the texture in the clearcoat, this removes 12-18 microns of paint and is generally not recommended on factory paintwork as it’s quite thin to begin with (due to cost cutting).

Using medium rubbing compounds one can still achieve a 25-30% improvement without impacting paint thickness in any significant way (2-3 microns removed at best). I’ve worked on hundreds of brand new cars and irrespective of brand/mfg, I’ve yet to see one that looked perfect or didn’t require a light finishing polish by machine to remove light swirls/marring. Anybody that tells you a car leaves the factory perfect is either not being entirely honest or is simply inexperienced. Cheers.

Here’s a before and after shot of a panel showing reduction in peel after wetsanding and machine polishing. Our aim was to match the factory orange peel on the repainted door as the body shop had not finished properly.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-b274e0aa43c9413aad8701e46f0e91c5.jpeg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-089f7e32760345a8a1bbfabf2636f5e4.jpeg  

AJ56 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 15:53   #11441
Senior - BHPian

I just saw major orange peel effect on brand new Polos here -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5290562 (Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition")

I guess its standard VW quality, mine in fact looks much better after I'd gotten ceramic coating done.
Old 6th April 2022, 12:02   #11442
BHPian

Planning a multi-day DIY waxing session on my recently acquired 2015 Jetta (Reflex Silver). I have the following steps in mind. Please let me know if I am missing any steps or advice any changes.

I will use old school elbow grease. I stay in an apartment complex with no access to flowing tap water. Can carry 5-10 litres (at the most).

Day 1:
1. Wash (at a regular washing place), using my shampoo, mitts and MFs. Will spray a APC on the wheels and tyres. Ask them not to put any dressing afterwards.
Question: Should I try a Iron remover on the paint?

2. Clay - Meguiar's clay + Claying solution with ONR

Day 2: (If some panels of claying is pending from Day 1)
3. All In One Polish - Klasse AIO
Question: Would a specialized (e.g CSS Orange Light Cutting) applicator yield better result? Or regular MF applicator pads work.

Day 3:
4. Do a Rinseless Wash with ONR - to remove any Polish from paintwork
Question: Should I do a IPA wipe instead of ONR

5. Apply Poorboy's White Diamond Glaze

Day 5:
6. Apply Klasse HG Sealant Glaze

Would not drive the car anywhere during the entire process. I am not looking at a professional level finish. Want to keep the paint as protected and shiny as possible with the products i already have.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 14:06   #11443
BHPian

Hi Friends, recently my City white color has got two hairline cut in the clear coat on the hood. I can't feel the cut when moving finger nails across it, also not visible when looked straight, but it was visible when the car is dirty and looked from an angle. To my mistake I mentioned this to the Service Adviser when I took the car for service and he said he will fix it quickly. I shouldn't have agreed, and what they did is to use some rubbing compound and apply it just using finger and rub it. Now the car has both the hairline cuts and dullness around it. They rubbed it to areas outside the cut as well. It looks much worse now when looked from an angle, still not visible when looked straight. Is there any DIY solution I can try now to remove that dullness from rubbing? Say waxing it? I can live with those hairline cuts, but the dullness is something I want to remove. Or taking it to the detailer is the only option?
Old 11th April 2022, 17:41   #11444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Planning a multi-day DIY waxing session on my recently acquired 2015 Jetta (Reflex Silver). I have the following steps in mind. Please let me know if I am missing any steps or advice any changes.

I will use old school elbow grease. I stay in an apartment complex with no access to flowing tap water. Can carry 5-10 litres (at the most).

Day 1:
1. Wash (at a regular washing place), using my shampoo, mitts and MFs. Will spray a APC on the wheels and tyres. Ask them not to put any dressing afterwards.
Question: Should I try a Iron remover on the paint?

2. Clay - Meguiar's clay + Claying solution with ONR

Day 2: (If some panels of claying is pending from Day 1)
3. All In One Polish - Klasse AIO
Question: Would a specialized (e.g CSS Orange Light Cutting) applicator yield better result? Or regular MF applicator pads work.

Day 3:
4. Do a Rinseless Wash with ONR - to remove any Polish from paintwork
Question: Should I do a IPA wipe instead of ONR

5. Apply Poorboy's White Diamond Glaze

Day 5:
6. Apply Klasse HG Sealant Glaze

Would not drive the car anywhere during the entire process. I am not looking at a professional level finish. Want to keep the paint as protected and shiny as possible with the products i already have.
Day 1: Yes it’s recommended to use iron and tar removers to decon your paint (and wheels) they are designed for use on paint just don’t let it dry before you wipe. Follow through with clay.

Day 2: Yes use a medium cut compounding pad, the foam is stiffer with larger pores which will yield quicker correction.

Day 3: Ideally just spray quick detailer and wipe, you’re not using a machine so residue won’t be an issue. All In One products contain sealants to help protect your paintwork, using IPA will strip the paint of any protection it has left behind.

I don’t see why one would apply a glaze with fillers and minor abrasives after using an AIO product. There is no protection in Poorboys white diamond, it’s a cleaner polish.

Day 5: Now if you’re planning on applying a proper sealant then do a 25% IPA wipe before application.

Using an AIO is generally combining the correction and protection steps in one. You don’t need to perform any further steps. If you want to use dedicated products, then use a paint cleaner like white diamond/meguairs ultimate polish to remove fine swirls. Then IPA and sealant. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
Hi Friends, recently my City white color has got two hairline cut in the clear coat on the hood. I can't feel the cut when moving finger nails across it, also not visible when looked straight, but it was visible when the car is dirty and looked from an angle. To my mistake I mentioned this to the Service Adviser when I took the car for service and he said he will fix it quickly. I shouldn't have agreed, and what they did is to use some rubbing compound and apply it just using finger and rub it. Now the car has both the hairline cuts and dullness around it. They rubbed it to areas outside the cut as well. It looks much worse now when looked from an angle, still not visible when looked straight. Is there any DIY solution I can try now to remove that dullness from rubbing? Say waxing it? I can live with those hairline cuts, but the dullness is something I want to remove. Or taking it to the detailer is the only option?
If you want it perfect take it to a detailer. Otherwise you can try by hand, just use a good cutting compound like Menzerna 400 with a foam applicator and work it into the dull area, it will take multiple passes by hand, once you’re happy with the finish use a finer polish to remove haze left by the compound like Menzerna 3000 (use a different side of your foam pad for this). Now apply a wax to protect.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 01:09   #11445

hello, fellow BHPians. I need help in removing tree sap droppings from my car. At my workplace, almost every other car has these tree sap droppings, majorly on the bonnet and roof area, for obvious reasons. I do weekly washes of my car with Sonax Shampoo. However, I missed washing the car for the last two weeks and now there is a huge build-up of such droppings. I had earlier thought that these will easily go during wash with car shampoo. However, while washing my car yesterday, I learned that these are not at all easy to remove. Shampoo wash did help them get light but didn't remove them completely. At some point, I had to scratch the dropping with my nail and then rub it with an MF cloth for removing it. However, I stopped this process as I thought there should be better ways to get rid of such droppings. Moreover, I feared inducing swirls.
I have attached herewith a few pics of the problem.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20220420181908.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20220420181929.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20220420181923.jpg

Hence please advice:-
1) the best way to get rid of these spots.
2) shall we park our under shade of a tree or parking under sun is better considering the problems associated with parking under trees.

Most Viewed