Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2022, 10:34   #11536
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Also, what kinda sanitizer? Does they remove the slight hint of mold, completly?
I have mixture of Vinegar (30ml) + Baking soda (2 tbsp) in 1ltr water. This Usually this does the trick, spray on area, if needed use toothbrush to agitate the surface and wipe area using MF cloth.

You can use ISO propyl alcohol to take out any oil residue (from dashboard restorer) in next step. I rarely use ISO propyl alcohol.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 14:23   #11537
Distinguished - BHPian

Sanitizer will probably have IPA as the active ingredient.

NB... It is Isopropyl alcohol. Two words only
Old 7th November 2022, 19:01   #11538
BHPian

Quote:
All three together OR does one of them do the job?

Also, what kinda sanitizer? Does they remove the slight hint of mold, completely?
Any of the three will do. Santizer has IPA as the active ingredient. So if you dont want to buy IPA specially for this then you can use liquid hand santizer.

IPA can also be used for cleaning oily film on the windscreen, electronics, phone/tablet screen etc. Oily films from diesel fumes on windshield cause light dispersion - so that's one reason to buy IPA
kotirajendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 00:12   #11539
BHPian

Quote:
My car was on long term parking for around 6+ months and now I see light traces of mold on the steering wheel and seats.

Please suggest me some DIY solution for this issue.
I see plenty of folks suggesting hand sanitiser and using it interchangeably with IPA (isopropyl alcohol), please do not use hand sanitiser as it has very high IPA concentrations (over 70%), the max IPA concentration used in detailing is 20-25% which is more than enough for any cleaning.

Will also add that alcohol based products are never supposed to be used on leather or leather based organic materials (like suede and alcantara) it will permanently stain and break down the leather on your steering wheel, it can also ruin the plastic coated chrome emblem in the centre of the wheel. Just use a good leather cleaner intended for automotive use, or even diluted APC like Carpro Multi X will work. Follow through with a leather conditioner once done cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepesh Goel View Post
Hi Guys,

Just Bought couple of car detailing products: Turtle was Seal n Shine and MEGUIAR'S G200416 Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax.

Need to know, can i apply meguiar's wax layer on the top of Turtle seal n shine layer, will it make any sense..? If yes, then how long should i allow sealant to sink in before i apply wax over it.

Thanks!
Don’t mix (layer) them, one is an old school polymer sealant and the other is a silica dioxide based sealant marketed as a ceramic wax. The latter will give you much better water beading and self cleaning ability. I’d suggest you can easily test for yourself, do half your bonnet with megs ceramic wax and the other half with seal and shine, wait for a few weeks and see which one retains stronger water beading, use that on the entire car.

I doubt layering will have any tangible benefits, but you can divide your bonnet into 4 areas and apply turtle, turtle + megs, megs, megs + turtle. Make sure you record which section has which product to avoid confusion later on. Also ensure you IPA wipe the entire bonnet before application and use different towels and applicators on each section to avoid cross contamination.

Regarding time, since they are made by different companies, there is no guideline by either mfg on the ideal wait time but generally you wait a minimum of 12 hours between a sealant and wax (not applicable here as it’s not actually a normal wax.)

Last edited by AJ56 : 8th November 2022 at 00:20.
AJ56 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 14:45   #11540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post

Don’t mix (layer) them, one is an old school polymer sealant and the other is a silica dioxide based sealant marketed as a ceramic wax. The latter will give you much better water beading and self cleaning ability. I’d suggest you can easily test for yourself, do half your bonnet with megs ceramic wax and the other half with seal and shine, wait for a few weeks and see which one retains stronger water beading, use that on the entire car.

I doubt layering will have any tangible benefits, but you can divide your bonnet into 4 areas and apply turtle, turtle + megs, megs, megs + turtle. Make sure you record which section has which product to avoid confusion later on. Also ensure you IPA wipe the entire bonnet before application and use different towels and applicators on each section to avoid cross contamination.

Regarding time, since they are made by different companies, there is no guideline by either mfg on the ideal wait time but generally you wait a minimum of 12 hours between a sealant and wax (not applicable here as it’s not actually a normal wax.)
Thanks AJ56. I must say you have a great deep knowledge of Car Detailing and Products and i always look upto to your comments and suggestions.

Thanks buddy once again for sharing your expertise with us.
Deepesh Goel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 13:48   #11541
adv
BHPian

Hello, any recommendations for a good and reliable agency for exterior detailing and interior disinfection of pre-owned cars near Santacruz, Mumbai?
Old 15th November 2022, 23:22   #11542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv View Post
Hello, any recommendations for a good and reliable agency for exterior detailing and interior disinfection of pre-owned cars near Santacruz, Mumbai?
There are 3 decent ones in and around Santacruz although I have availed of services from only one of them when it used to be a 3m franchisee so i can't comment on current service levels.

Shape and Shine (formerly 3M)
Shine My Ride
And one other one opp Reliance Mall, i can't remember the name but it used to be in Khar earlier
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 11:13   #11543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I have mixture of Vinegar (30ml) + Baking soda (2 tbsp) in 1ltr water. This Usually this does the trick, spray on area, if needed use toothbrush to agitate the surface and wipe area using MF cloth.

You can use ISO propyl alcohol to take out any oil residue (from dashboard restorer) in next step. I rarely use ISO propyl alcohol.
However does it not spread. Also i believe if you keep the MF cloth that you used to clean the mold, somewhere else ,wont it spread to that surface too?
Old 16th November 2022, 11:46   #11544
BANNED

I have been using Menzerna Power Lock Ultimate Protection since long. Is there anything better leaving apart ceramic coatings. I am complety satisfied just wish it last longer on surface as our cars are washed daily with sweet water. I feel the need to reapply every weekend but end up repeating every two weeks due to so much time it takes with three cars in house.
Old 20th November 2022, 13:24   #11545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I have been using Menzerna Power Lock Ultimate Protection since long. Is there anything better leaving apart ceramic coatings. I am complety satisfied just wish it last longer on surface as our cars are washed daily with sweet water. I feel the need to reapply every weekend but end up repeating every two weeks due to so much time it takes with three cars in house.
Powerlock is a good sealant except it doesn’t last more than a month in our conditions. You can try Soft 99 Fuso Coat but polymer based paint protection only goes so far.

You don’t need to go for full blown coatings, just spray on coatings like Gyeon Cancoat or even Carpro CQuartz lite (which is as easy to apply as Powelrock) will provide superior water beading and for much longer (6 months+).

Last edited by AJ56 : 20th November 2022 at 13:27.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 01:07   #11546
BHPian

I don't know what kind of chip shortage is going on with Formula1 but their wax prices have shot through the roof.

I had purchased Carnauba Wax (340g) in 2020 for Rs 397. Price now is 780. Whooping 97% increase in 2 years.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-screenshot-20221121-01.04.51.png
batish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 17:22   #11547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post

I had purchased Carnauba Wax (340g) in 2020 for Rs 397. Price now is 780. Whooping 97% increase in 2 years.

Attachment 2381852
Must be different sellers, it’s available as low 525 with free shipping.
Try Collinite 845, much better to apply and buff compared to this stuff. Also it lasts way longer, one bottle does dozens of cars.
Attached Images

AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 20:04   #11548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Must be different sellers, it’s available as low 525 with free shipping.
Try Collinite 845, much better to apply and buff compared to this stuff. Also it lasts way longer, one bottle does dozens of cars.
Nope. What you've mentioned is 230g and what I've mentioned is 340g.

Use collinite too but had ordered this one before collinite so had to use it sometime. So sometimes its collinite, sometimes its Formula1.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 05:58   #11549
BHPian

This is Tar. Use WD 40 to remove it with a microfibre cloth followed by a sealant/wax coat to secure it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek2652 View Post
Attachment 2371396

Guys, please guide an easy way to remove paint spots on the car. Initially, I thought these were tar spots but on close inspection, I found the whole car was covered with tiny green spots. It is painful to see the car like this and the motivation to wash the car goes away seeing these stubborn paint specs. I have used car polish, petrol, diesel and sanitizer to remove these. Out of these things only sanitizer worked which I have to use 5 to 6 times repeatedly to remove paint specs from a small panel.
pineapple_ameet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 19:21   #11550
BHPian

Amazon.in is selling Dewalt Cordless DA Polisher along with 2x5Ah batteries and charger for Rs26446. After bank discounts, you can get it for ~25K.

https://www.amazon.in/DCM848P2-Polis.../dp/B08CL13RBC
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dewalt.jpg

Never seen the price go so low, even the seller looks genuine. In US, the bare tool without batteries/charger is sold for ~18K and the bundled twin battery retails for 35K+ ($440). I have anyways ordered one. I already have quite a few dewalt cordless tools and 4 dewalt batteries (4Ah, 5Ah, and 6Ah flexvolt); planning to sell the 2 batteries that come with this kit. Not sure whether there will be any taker for Dewalt batteries in India.

Last edited by Holyghost : 24th November 2022 at 19:49. Reason: Quoted by mistake
Holyghost is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks