Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 12:45   #1
BHPian

Something is stopping my Dzire VDI from cruising freely

Yesterday I did Bangalore-Dharapuram-Bangalore at a single stretch to attend couple of my friends weddings. The round trip was around 900 kms
I was doing 120-130 constantly on GQ and the car was cruising effortlessly till the last 100 kms of the whole trip.
During the last 100 kms i felt something was stopping my car to move freely, I felt some sort of turbo lag when i tried to overtake a vehicle or when moving on some steep roads.
When i downshift and press the gas pedal to overtake, i felt my car is getting stained a lot to move forward loosing the actual turbo kick. I stopped my car for sometime and proceeded, the same happens again.

I did my 20k service in jan and now my car is running around 24k on odo.

I doubt the filters as it was not changed for last 13k kms, will check and change it this weekend if needed.
Do i have to check something else apart from filters?
Do i have to suspect the turbo?

I need advice from experts on the other things to be checked in this case to identify the problem and sort it out.
Old 6th June 2011, 12:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Something is stopping my Dzire VDI from cruising freely

Change the air filter to see if there is a difference. If not it may require an EGR cleaning though its a little too early.

Looks like filter issue.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 19:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Something is stopping my Dzire VDI from cruising freely

Are you sure its not bad fuel?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 20:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

Air/fuel filter would have affected the entire trip; not just the last 100 kms.

Was the tyre pressure fine? Or as Dhanush suggests, something to do with fuel?

Since you say the problem cropped up during the last leg of your trip, something must've have been different then.

Nevertheless, 13k kms is a long time; do get the air/fuel filters changed. Hope all the oils were changed at the last service.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 20:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its a good idea to get the turbo checked since the DDIS engine has a known issue of busted turbos if engine oil is over filled. Hopefully the issue might be something else and not the turbo, but your saying that you couldn't feel the turbo kick has got me thinking about this.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 20:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Change the air filter to see if there is a difference. If not it may require an EGR cleaning though its a little too early.

Looks like filter issue.
I will change the air filter and check, though it did not have any issue. It had done 13k already with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Are you sure its not bad fuel?
I doubt it was because of bad fuel as i felt the problem only at the last 100kms, it did effortlessly for the past 300 kms with the same fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Air/fuel filter would have affected the entire trip; not just the last 100 kms.

Was the tyre pressure fine? Or as Dhanush suggests, something to do with fuel?

Since you say the problem cropped up during the last leg of your trip, something must've have been different then.

Nevertheless, 13k kms is a long time; do get the air/fuel filters changed. Hope all the oils were changed at the last service.
Tyre pressure was fine and kept it 32 PSI, I was also doubtful about the tyre pressure first and checked it to be fine.
Oils were changed in the last service, i checked it today morning and it is well above the minimum point. but too blackish, will change it if the service advicer suggests for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Its a good idea to get the turbo checked since the DDIS engine has a known issue of busted turbos if engine oil is over filled. Hopefully the issue might be something else and not the turbo, but your saying that you couldn't feel the turbo kick has got me thinking about this.
I will check the turbo also anyway, since i was facing this problem suddenly on the run.
Old 6th June 2011, 21:53   #7
BHPian

It could be contaminated fuel. The impurities probably settled at the bottom and came up as the fuel in your tank lowered. This happens pretty commonly. The first step would be to refill at a good outlet and see if it makes a difference.
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 23:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
It could be contaminated fuel. The impurities probably settled at the bottom and came up as the fuel in your tank lowered. This happens pretty commonly. The first step would be to refill at a good outlet and see if it makes a difference.
Do i have to flush the tank if this is the case ?
or getting it to just above empty and refilling should be fine ?
Old 6th June 2011, 23:30   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
A small correction.

Its probably due to Bad fuel you face such issues. or mainly clogged air filters.

Also its best to get your Turbo checked, just in case, since Maruti's with DDiS engines are known for Turbo failures.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 23:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Do i have to flush the tank if this is the case ?
or getting it to just above empty and refilling should be fine ?
Start with checking the diesel filter. The residue left will give you an idea about contaminated fuel. After checking, make sure to REPLACE the filter.

If there are no issues there, then as sankar suggested, proceed with checking the turbo.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 23:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

@BulZire

Please dont me for asking this, was it your HANDBRAKE??
Even partially pulled up Handbrake can cause it.

Were you experiencing the same only on higher gears? What happened when you went in neutral on high speeds, did you feel the same drag.

That way you can isolate if its engine/any other part like brakes/ball bearings etc.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 00:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Bulzire, were you able to do good speeds and was it just that you were not feeling the turbo spool? I have this problem in my Swift D where on long drives after almost 80% distance is covered, the car would suddenly lose it's turbo kick-in effect, but would cruise nicely to 100-120kmph speed. Overtaking also would not be as quick as it used to be. I guess its got more to do with the time the car has run in a single shot. And 13K kms for the airfilter is stretching it a too further. Please change it every 10K kms and I usually clean the filter every 3000 kms. And yes, its a good thing to check the oil spill into intercooler, the pick up gets sluggish if its there.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 12:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
A small correction.

Its probably due to Bad fuel you face such issues. or mainly clogged air filters.

Also its best to get your Turbo checked, just in case, since Maruti's with DDiS engines are known for Turbo failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Start with checking the diesel filter. The residue left will give you an idea about contaminated fuel. After checking, make sure to REPLACE the filter.

If there are no issues there, then as sankar suggested, proceed with checking the turbo.
Thanks,I will check both the filters and change it anyway. Will check the turbo as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
@BulZire

Please dont me for asking this, was it your HANDBRAKE??
Even partially pulled up Handbrake can cause it.

Were you experiencing the same only on higher gears? What happened when you went in neutral on high speeds, did you feel the same drag.

That way you can isolate if its engine/any other part like brakes/ball bearings etc.
No, The handbrakes were off. I too checked it once i felt the lag.
I am facing it in higher gears only like, 3-4 & 4-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Bulzire, were you able to do good speeds and was it just that you were not feeling the turbo spool? I have this problem in my Swift D where on long drives after almost 80% distance is covered, the car would suddenly lose it's turbo kick-in effect, but would cruise nicely to 100-120kmph speed. Overtaking also would not be as quick as it used to be. I guess its got more to do with the time the car has run in a single shot. And 13K kms for the airfilter is stretching it a too further. Please change it every 10K kms and I usually clean the filter every 3000 kms. And yes, its a good thing to check the oil spill into intercooler, the pick up gets sluggish if its there.
I can do good speeds and no problem in that. i felt the lag only when i revive it hard to overtake or climb some steep.
Initially i was also suspecting that it is because of the long drive i did and the car is too much stressed. but i hope the problem was something different.

Anyway, I will take it to MASS and check the filters,turbo and intercooler. Is there any DYI on how to check the filters for impurities by myself.
Just to get something confirmed.

Last edited by BulZire : 7th June 2011 at 12:07.
Old 7th June 2011, 16:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Anyway, I will take it to MASS and check the filters,turbo and intercooler. Is there any DYI on how to check the filters for impurities by myself.
Just to get something confirmed.
Cleaning the air filter is a very simple job.

1. There is a black rectangular box in the engine bay inside which the filter is housed.

2. And there is a bolt from this cover to the bonnet metal which you have to undo to release the top of the black box and then take out the filter.

3. Once you do it, you just need to tap it on some dust free surface [wall / floor] to get the dust out of the filter.

4. Once done, you could put it back in the box and tie the bolts.

If you have the right tools, this should not take more than 5-10 mins altogether.

If you have a MASS nearby, then you can take it there and they have a 5 point check which is 120/- where they check all the fluid levels and top it up and check for some electricals and all. This is what I usually do for every 3000 kms general check up.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 16:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

What speeds do you do when you shift from gears 3-4-5!?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks