Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 20:21   #1
BHPian

Problem with my i20 head-unit after installing HID's

Hi All,

I have recently got HID's fitted in my 1 year old i20 (headlight and fog lamps), and have been facing a weird problem. When i switch on and switch off the headlights, my music system automatically restarts and at times when i am playing songs, and happen to switch my headlights of an switch them on at a traffic signal or when the car is stationary, it restarts. I have got the HID pair changed to slightly expensive ones, but the problem persists.

Same applies to the fog lamps too. When i switch on and switch off, the headunit restarts. Can the experts please help.

Mods, have i placed this issue in the right section? Its about lights, but again its about my headunit issue (the main concern).

Regards,
Nikibusa
Old 6th June 2011, 20:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Problem with my i20 head-unit after installing HID's

I guess its because your battery / alternator system is getting overloaded and cannot supply power to the power hungry HIDs and the HU at the same time. A battery of higher rating should be required IMO.
Something like this used to happen with my old car - the old battery could not effectively power all the stuff - and if I used the power window the headlights used to dim by just a bit, and sound from speakers used to go down.

Last edited by blackasta : 6th June 2011 at 20:42.
Old 6th June 2011, 21:01   #3
BHPian

@Blackasta: Thanks for the information. Infact even i suspected the battery / alternator to be the culprit. But then I have few friends running HID's of the same make and on their i20's too and everything seems to be fine with their cars. Infact we have these HID's fitted from the same installer who happens to be a common friend and a trusted source.

So i really want to get into the root cause of why is this happening. Strange thing isnt it? Also the speakers and other components work fine with the usage of power windows and my Subwoofer and an Amplifier.

Niki
Old 6th June 2011, 21:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I guess its because your battery / alternator system is getting overloaded and cannot supply power to the power hungry HIDs and the HU at the same time. A battery of higher rating should be required IMO
Well, arnt the HID's supposed to use less power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikibusa View Post
Same applies to the fog lamps too. When i switch on and switch off, the headunit restarts. Can the experts please help.
I would start looking at the fuse box for a loose fuse. Also, on high volumes and heavy bass output, does the HU show the same problem?
Old 6th June 2011, 21:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Well, arnt the HID's supposed to use less power?

I would start looking at the fuse box for a loose fuse. Also, on high volumes and heavy bass output, does the HU show the same problem?

HIDs do use less power - but during runtime. Noticed the fact that nikibusa is having the problem during headlight being switched on - so it may be due to the initial ignition of the HID requiring a bit more juice.
Old 6th June 2011, 21:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

@niki have you upgraded your speakers too?
Old 6th June 2011, 22:26   #7
BHPian

@Ramie: I am running on stock set of speakers and i am facing this headunit issue much before i could install the amplifier and the subwoofer (same sub from my Santro). I have no issues with the system tripping or any other problem.

But Ramie, what made you ask this question?

@Blackasta: I completely agree with your line about the HID's using more power during startup and also to let you know that when i tried switching back to my regular 100/90 Philips with a relay, things start behaving normal. I really want to stay with the HID's guys, as the car really looks hot :-). But at the same time i am still looking for your support to get this issue resolved.

Niki
Old 6th June 2011, 23:35   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Same applies to the fog lamps too. When i switch on and switch off, the headunit restarts...
Quote:
.... also to let you know that when i tried switching back to my regular 100/90 Philips with a relay, things start behaving normal....
I ruled out the possibility if HID's because you have the problem even when switching the Fog's too. So, when you are back to 100/90 does the problem occur while switching Fog lamps?
Old 7th June 2011, 10:32   #9
BHPian

Can you upload snaps of the HIDs installed and let us know the costs involved?
Old 7th June 2011, 11:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Whats the make of the HIDs you are using? A picture of the ballast would help.
Looks like your HU is sensitive to interference and/or the ballasts are not suppressing them as it should.
Old 7th June 2011, 17:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I ruled out the possibility if HID's because you have the problem even when switching the Fog's too. So, when you are back to 100/90 does the problem occur while switching Fog lamps?
When i switch back to regular bulbs, i dont face any problems with the circuit malfunction. Everything works fine (with 100/90 in the headlights and regular fog lamp bulbs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Can you upload snaps of the HIDs installed and let us know the costs involved?
I can upload the pics of the box of the specific brand. I drive the car only on weekends and hence it would be very difficult to remove the bulbs and post pics. But will try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Whats the make of the HIDs you are using? A picture of the ballast would help.
Looks like your HU is sensitive to interference and/or the ballasts are not suppressing them as it should.
I will try and post the pics of the ballast mounted. These are some local manufactured HID's and come with a 6 warranty. I have already replaced 1 set due the same problem. I had thought earlier maybe the kit is faulty. But now i am planning to move to another set under warranty.

Niki
Old 7th June 2011, 18:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Niki just had a convo. with Munna-bhai about the problem you are facing,he said there is a glitch in the power-supply,make sure the installer haven't taken any power out-put/cut-out source from the power wire which goes to the head-unit harness directly or in-directly. Also check where the ballast is getting its Ground (-) from,this is meant to happen with the fog-lamps as the power source is connected from the same.

Ramie
Old 7th June 2011, 18:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Niki,

I would suggest instead of treasure hunting, show it to the Hyundai A.S.S and get their opinion. I hope the electrical modifications if done might not have nulled the warranty in any way. You can demonstrate to them with both the lights.

One question - If you keep the headlights (with HID) on continiously does the HU remain switched off or does it restart on its own after a few secs? Same case applies for Fog lamps too?

Keep us posted of the solution found if any.
Old 7th June 2011, 19:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Niki just had a convo. with Munna-bhai about the problem you are facing,he said there is a glitch in the power-supply,make sure the installer haven't taken any power out-put/cut-out source from the power wire which goes to the head-unit harness directly or in-directly. Also check where the ballast is getting its Ground (-) from,this is meant to happen with the fog-lamps as the power source is connected from the same.

Ramie
@Ramie: Thanks for the help brother. I will have the car checked from the installer and if it still doesnt get sorted, i will have you get it checked also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@Niki,

I would suggest instead of treasure hunting, show it to the Hyundai A.S.S and get their opinion. I hope the electrical modifications if done might not have nulled the warranty in any way. You can demonstrate to them with both the lights.

One question - If you keep the headlights (with HID) on continiously does the HU remain switched off or does it restart on its own after a few secs? Same case applies for Fog lamps too?

Keep us posted of the solution found if any.
@Ghodlur: Getting the car checked with the A.S.S wont be of any help. As per their rules and their knowledge, even if I happen to change a bulb with a relay fitted will voice my warranty and i dont understand how. I had spoken with them in general about fitting 100/90's and about how they would increase the visibility. All the service advisor had to tell me was ("Sir.. It will void your warranty"). Sorry for taking it off topic.

With the HID's on (fog lamps and headlight) the headunit functions absolutely normal. Its only when i switch on and switch off the headlight at intervals (at a signal).

I will definitely keep this thread updated till the problem is not sorted. I am sure it will be of help to other i20 users if they face any problem in future or in a one off case like mine.

Niki
nikibusa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 19:43   #15
BANNED

Quote:
When i switch back to regular bulbs, i dont face any problems with the circuit malfunction. Everything works fine (with 100/90 in the headlights and regular fog lamp bulbs)

I can upload the pics of the box of the specific brand. I drive the car only on weekends and hence it would be very difficult to remove the bulbs and post pics. But will try.

I will try and post the pics of the ballast mounted. These are some local manufactured HID's and come with a 6 warranty. I have already replaced 1 set due the same problem. I had thought earlier maybe the kit is faulty. But now i am planning to move to another set under warranty.

Niki
hi
i had similar problems when i installed hid in my skoda the problems was left side ballast it was consuming more current
kindly check this please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks